• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/04/20/ign-editor-plagiarism-apology/

Better late than never? After several months since losing his job at IGN due to plagiarism, former games editor Filip Miucin has issued an apology. Unlike his prior attempts, this one addresses the specific issues at hand. It also gives apologies to the people whom he wronged.

I'm not linking directly to his video, because fuck him. The fact that it took him over 6 months to wait for the storm to blow over and genuinely (perhaps, I ain't watching this video) apologise is horseshit and I hope he never gets the audience/clicks/forgiveness he thinks he still deserves.

I guess mods can feel free to lock this if they think he shouldn't get any more publicity, and I would 100% agree with them.

Edit: One of the people he initially ripped off, replies. This is totally my post that I wrote myself:
For what it's worth, yer man Chris Scullion -- one of the people Miucin plagiarised -- has seen that's he's apologised and...is not having it.

In summation: this ain't it, thief.

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I feel like the sincerity of an apology is suspect when it took eight months and you don't actually apologize to the individual people and instead their outlets but okay.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I-dont-believe-you.gif

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the sincerity of an apology is suspect when it took eight months and you don't actually apologize to the individual people and instead their outlets but okay.
Look, I dont trust him. Maybe this is a desperate attempt to recuperate personal losses, whatever. IMO, this means nothing.

But at the same time, rehabilitation takes time, maybe this is sincere.

How do we decide how much time personal betterment takes, if its sincere, or if a man or woman is ever redeemable?

These kinds of things are so grey to me.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
At least he did it and faced the denial and gave closure to some who wanted him to admit guilt.

He's not welcomed back to the video game media though. No site or blog worth a damn is going to bang the desk for Filip. He blew it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the author's "there needs to be a road for redemption," remark. He covered video games and threw it away, he should just do literally any other job, nobody is entitled to that career.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
At least he did it and faced the denial and gave closure to some who wanted him to admit guilt.

He's not welcomed back to the video game media though.
I feel like this answers my post above.

Its nice that he faced it, gave closure, maybe personally improved himself.

But allowed back into gamine he is not, nor ever will/should be.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
However, if we can't open the door for these same folks who committed wrongs to correct their behavior, then what does that say about our society?
i dunno what the writer of this article is angling for

there's no road back to journalism with plagiarism on their rap sheet

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
On one hand, I think people deserves a second chance.
On the other hand, I don't think people deserves a 5th chance.

So, I think it would be best for him to stop apologizing and start working honest and EARN that 5th chance. Also, I don't know about this, but isn't plagiarism like the big NO in journalist/written media? Like, there's no coming back from that?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Why is there a statute of limitations on an apology? I'm no stan for the guy and really could care less but if a big fan favorite film director can apologize for something they did years ago and it be accepted then why can't this guy?

I also don't understand why he isn't "allowed" back in video game media.

I just want to understand what the point of people apologizing/attaining personal growth if others aren't willing to accept it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

*Edit: I actually do understand why he isn't allowed back in video games media as he has essentially destroyed all credibility. I still think he should be able to learn from and grow from his mistake.

Last edited:

Mildoze

Feb 4, 2018
KC, KS
Probably had to wait this long so he could plagiarized the apology too. Don't want to be so cynical but plagiarism is often border line on many you tubers channels. It's still astounding that a publication as big as IGN wasn't made aware of this before it was publicized. But hey at least the guy who finally proved his video was plagiarized by this "writer" ended up with got a ton of views and subs from this appalling journalistic laziness. What's weird is he works long enough to be a writer for a publication focused on hobbies such as ours and you finally make it. only to be so lazy you can't even write you own reviews of games you're playing? Squandered career if you ask me.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to watch his video, but for anyone who has or will: does he explain why I should give his lying, insincere ass a second chance over giving someone more fresh and talented a first chance? Does he explain what's going to set him apart, and why I should follow him instead of finding someone with something original to say?

Even if he swears he's done plagiarizing, no matter how late, who cares? He had his shot, he made it big at IGN, and he carelessly threw it all away. I'm done with him. Give me someone new.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took him this long to finally apologize? I guess he finally felt he burned all bridges so now the rehabilitation phase begins

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is there a statute of limitations on an apology? I'm no stan for the guy and really could care less but if a big fan favorite film director can apologize for something they did years ago and it be accepted then why can't this guy?

I just want to understand what the point of people apologizing/attaining personal growth if others aren't willing to accept it.

Yup, the only use for personal growth is personal gain /s

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017

He broke the trust of not only his peers but of his audience to for what he did. At this point he might either get pity views or people just wanting to troll or heckle him.

And if you break the trust of your audience for putting our work you stole from, you have essentially destroyed your reputation and brand as someone to go to for advice, reviews etc.

He can do whatever he wants on his channel sure but how can someone take his word for merit?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Comes across as too little too late. Don't see any way back for him.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Maybe I'm just a big softie, but I hope we forgive him.

He fucked up. Repeatedly. He hurt his outlet's reputation. His friends and coworkers felt betrayed by his actions. But ultimately, he did something that cost him a job with major opportunities. Jose Otero and Audrey Drake, people who were in his position before him, moved on to work at Nintendo. Filip won't get anywhere near that now, and deservedly so.

However, he's done his sentence. He's been punished. He's been put through the wringer by gamers for 8 months now. This apology seemed sincere. I don't know why it took 8 months, maybe he needed some time to come to terms with himself, his thoughts and his ego.

No one has faced permanent harm from what he did. IGN is doing fine now. His NVC podcast is doing well. Everything is okay. Maybe we should practice forgiveness now. You don't have to watch his content. You don't have to support him, either with your views or with your money, but let's stop dog piling him. He's a human being after all.

OP
OP
Shaneus

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno what the writer of this article is angling for

there's no road back to journalism with plagiarism on their rap sheet
Yeah, I didn't post the article because of the quality of it's content, only because it was literally the only article I could find on it (and I wasn't going to link the video directly).

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017

Looking at the actions of the ign guy he....dared people online to find more examples of his plagiarism and then 8 months later makes an apology video

That's not a great look for second or fourth chances

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What an ass.

He tried to basically restart on his Youtube channel a few months ago and got blown out.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Maybe I'm just a big softie, but I hope we forgive him.

He fucked up. Repeatedly. He hurt his outlet's reputation. His friends and coworkers felt betrayed by his actions. But ultimately, he did something that cost him a job with major opportunities. Jose Otero and Audrey Drake, people who were in his position before him, moved on to work at Nintendo. Filip won't get anywhere near that now, and deservedly so.

However, he's done his sentence. He's been punished. He's been put through the wringer by gamers for 8 months now. This apology seemed sincere. I don't know why it took 8 months, maybe he needed some time to come to terms with himself, his thoughts and his ego.

No one has faced permanent harm from what he did. IGN is doing fine now. His NVC podcast is doing well. Everything is okay. Maybe we should practice forgiveness now. You don't have to watch his content. You don't have to support him, either with your views or with your money, but let's stop dog piling him. He's a human being after all.

I love this post and wholeheartedly agree.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I reckon that this guy could become quite successful by doubling down and copying every review he does while thinly veiling it as irony.