• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
You are definitely correct that people shouldn't be dragged through the mud for an innocent mistake, or even the odd terrible decision. That is true. I also believe that it is very likely that most of us will screw up somewhat significantly at some point in the future.

However, I doubt the majority of us will screw up in such a disastrously dishonest way. I am not a saint, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did what Filip did. Filip didn't make a casual mistake, what he did was literally the worst thing you can do in that industry. Moreover, he did it over an extended period of time, he did it rampantly, and he tried to conceal it.

If he wants to make his own videos I think that is fine. However, he doesn't deserve viewership. He also should never be given an opportunity to work for anyone else in the industry: he burned that bridge.

Thanks for reading my post properly and the well thought out reply.

I agree he probably doesn't deserve viewership, but that's not for me, you or those people who are shitpiling on him to decide.

I certainly never liked his content and have zero interest in his opinion on anything, but I still believe he should be allowed to make content for those that do enjoy his work WITHOUT being harassed by a bullying lynch mob.

I just feel like he's a young man (relative to me!) who has made bad mistakes...he has been hurt financially and probably emotionally by his own misdeeds...let him be and let him salvage what he can.

Jun 26, 2018

I agree he probably doesn't deserve viewership, but that's not for me, you or those people who are shitpiling on him to decide.

I certainly never liked his content and have zero interest in his opinion on anything, but I still believe he should be allowed to make content for those that do enjoy his work WITHOUT being harassed by a bullying lynch mob.

I just feel like he's a young man (relative to me!) who has made bad mistakes...he has been hurt financially and probably emotionally by his own misdeeds...let him be and let him salvage what he can.

You should take your misplaced empathy and put it towards someone who actually deserves it. Like Laura Kate Dale, who was harassed for an article she wrote, about what clearly sounded like a slur towards handicapped people appearing in Smash Bros., that was potentially published without her full consent.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol people aren't "shitpiling on him".

This story was over. Everyone had moved on. Then he released a new video about the subject. People are responding. That's not harassment or "shitpiling".

The lengths some of you go to defend people like this, while completely ignoring the innocent people he negatively impacted, is shameful.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

So according to you:
Building a career on fraud over years = "mistake"

People criticising him for doing so = "lynching"

Seriously, why is it defenders go so far to downplay what he did as just a misstep but consistently refer to murder in reference to this thread.

I mean, I know why, it's because you're trying to use emotional language to garner sympathy for the guy, I guess I just wish you'd stop. We've already had people calling this a "death penalty", and now we've moved on to lynching I see.

No one is actually going to want to engage any points your making when you're being this damn hyperbolic.

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Blimey...you all REALLY hate this guy, huh?

Fair enough...hopefully you all never do anything wrong and need empathy and support.

Peace out x

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Fair enough...hopefully you all never do anything wrong and need empathy and support.

Peace out x
Lmao
Here's what your boy Filip did:
  • Plagiarized a video from Boomstick Gaming
  • When he got caught and called out on it, he got defensive and acted like it was the only time he did it
  • He asked a journalist to find any other examples of his plagiarism and surprise! He found many other examples
    • (that was the point he lost whatever high-ground he may have had)
  • He gave a non-apology at some point
  • 8 months later, after most would have forgotten him, he gave an actual apology
If I acted like a scumbag, I wouldn't expect "empathy and support" from fucking strangers. He hasn't earned it. At all.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a real apology, those who care about his content can see if 8 months has taught him something. He did commit a cardinal sin when it came to his position/profession so forgiveness needs to be earned (if it can be).

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Peace out x

I love this weird desire that some people have to phrase a pattern of sustained fraud as "a mistake" or a single instance of "doing something wrong".

I also love the weirdly desperate cry of "hopefully you never do anything wrong". Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to steal other people's work for years, lie my way into a job I can't handle, steal more work, inexplicably dare other people to look into me further, and then act like nothing happened.

Nah, let's just be "Better people" and do infinite obligatory forgiveness.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Hey, i made mistakes and asked for forgiveness, you know what i never did?
Stole someones work and profit from it and after i got caught i challenge people to find more bullshit on me.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People would be much more inclined to believe he's being sincere right now if he didn't double and triple-down back then denying his plagiarism left and right when the evidences started to show up. He flat-out challenged people back then to find more examples of him plagiarising stuff. And even after people found them he kept swerving left and right.

So yeah, don't blame folks to doubt his sincerity right now. He made their excuses for them himself.
Yeah that's fair, but I think that was also very clearly a defense mechanism, to lash out at those attacking him. But you're right - I think this video would've been received a lot better had his initial one never been posted.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
He's just trying to get his name back out there and more people to go to his personal channel. He ain't slick and honestly it's pretty gross that he'd try to use this as a boost to himself. Not surprised though from a worm who so flagrantly plagiarized other's work.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's true, but he deserves a fourth second chance don't you think? You don't? You monster!
/s

I already admitted I'm not a nice person /s

Perhaps I'm not as nice of a person as I like to believe I am but I am skeptical about the sincerity and timing of this apology.

It's not brave to apologize and it doesn't feel sincere when it comes so late, nor when it fails to mention or acknowledge the dozens of other accusations and instead focuses on a handful of better known ones.

I believe people deserve second chances when they make mistakes and the same is true for this former editor, but I don't believe his apology is entirely honest.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are even debating if he should be "given" another chance or not.

It's completely up to him. I won't be supporting him, and he's probably burnt a fair few industry bridges, but if he puts out quality original content there will be plenty of people who don't care about or even know about what he did.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
In your guys opinion, what would be a good punishment for him?

His career is already over and he is probably being sued.

What else would be fair as a punishment?
When our desire for justice is enough?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Letting him fade into obscurity. Everytime a post appears or he makes a video, he gains a little more power. Soon he will resurrect to a real body and then he will be too powerful.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Too little too late it seems. Not sure this apology will please those he shat on in the first place.

Good luck keeping that "career" alive.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
I feel bad for him and his family... he f'ed up big time, but hurt himself the most with it. His career is over.

I only read the first page of this thread but jeez, people really want to see him suffer, huh?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Walk away and start over at something else. Him making "apology" videos and making them public doesn't help anyone hes wronged, it's self promotion.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I feel bad for him and his family... he f'ed up big time, but hurt himself the most with it. His career is over.

I only read the first page of this thread but jeez, people really want to see him suffer, huh?

No? This keeps getting brought up - along with hyperbolic nonsense about lynching and the death penalty - but where are the examples of this in this thread? Saying that he shouldn't have a career in games journalism isn't the same as wanting him to suffer...it's saying that he's not cut out for that particular line of work, and that he'd be a headache for anyone who did give him a chance. They'd have to keep tabs on him or risk having to clean up a significant mess down the road if - and I'm being really generous in even entertaining this mealy-mouthed excuse of his - he started feeling pressured again and resorted to old habits. It's a competitive industry with plenty of new up-and-comers who don't have that baggage, it's hard to fathom any site or publication taking a chance on him again.

In the wake of his previous behaviour, and the fact that it's clear he didn't approach anyone he wronged in private before this latest public plea for sympathy (it's all this can be after so much time had passed), people are not unreasonable to distrust him or criticise his approach. He put it out there publicly...people are going to comment on it.

I don't feel bad for him, his actions and reactions were brought on himself. I feel bad for those he ripped off, those he called liars when his arrogant bluster about finding more examples of work he stole backfired in his face, those he wasn't even man enough to contact directly to apologise to, choosing instead to pull another "woe is me" stunt. I feel bad for the people who faced abuse and backlash from fans of Miucin's (and the hanger's on who didn't give a shit, but just wanted an excuse to be contrarian and shitty to people) through absolutely no fault on their part.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did this guy actually make money from other people's work with this plagiarism? Can he be sued to that effect? I know I'd have no forgiveness for him if he stole content I had to live off of.

Edit: That first sentence makes it sound like I'm questioning the impact of his fraud. Absolutely not doing that. 'Apology' or not this guy is a sack of shit.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Does this guy remind anyone else of Jake Gyllenhaal''s character from Nightcrawler?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I love this weird desire that some people have to phrase a pattern of sustained fraud as "a mistake" or a single instance of "doing something wrong".

I also love the weirdly desperate cry of "hopefully you never do anything wrong". Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to steal other people's work for years, lie my way into a job I can't handle, steal more work, inexplicably dare other people to look into me further, and then act like nothing happened.

Nah, let's just be "Better people" and do infinite obligatory forgiveness.

It's even more apparent reading the whole thread through quickly. Did Filip's fanbase pass around a script in a Discord or something? Because I keep seeing the same defense buttons pushed over and over and over again.

(My take for the record is that this whole thing reeks of desperation to keep his spotlight. Even if he was completely sincere his record of plagiarism will haunt him for a long-ass time and he'd be better off shifting into a non-journalistic field where he'd be under less scrutiny.)

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
No? This keeps getting brought up - along with hyperbolic nonsense about lynching and the death penalty - but where are the examples of this in this thread? Saying that he shouldn't have a career in games journalism isn't the same as wanting him to suffer...it's saying that he's not cut out for that particular line of work, and that he'd be a headache for anyone who did give him a chance. They'd have to keep tabs on him or risk having to clean up a significant mess down the road if - and I'm being really generous in even entertaining this mealy-mouthed excuse of his - he started feeling pressured again and resorted to old habits. It's a competitive industry with plenty of new up-and-comers who don't have that baggage, it's hard to fathom any site or publication taking a chance on him again.

In the wake of his previous behaviour, and the fact that it's clear he didn't approach anyone he wronged in private before this latest public plea for sympathy (it's all this can be after so much time had passed), people are not unreasonable to distrust him or criticise his approach. He put it out there publicly...people are going to comment on it.

I don't feel bad for him, his actions and reactions were brought on himself. I feel bad for those he ripped off, those he called liars when his arrogant bluster about finding more examples of work he stole backfired in his face, those he wasn't even man enough to contact directly to apologise to, choosing instead to pull another "woe is me" stunt. I feel bad for the people who faced abuse and backlash from fans of Miucin's (and the hanger's on who didn't give a shit, but just wanted an excuse to be contrarian and shitty to people) through absolutely no fault on their part.
I said "want to see him suffer" because of a lack of better words. The guy clearly has some issues and I agree that he should move on and do something else.
I was just irritated by the hostility (is that better?) towards him on the first page.
Maybe it's profession speaking, because I work with delinquent kids that do really fucked up stuff on a regular basis and I still have to deal with them, I don't know.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I will say this much positive about him, though - At least he hasn't pivoted towards the alt-right yet crowd yet. I'd fully expected that to be his next move.

Granted, I'm not sure if that's due to his personal beliefs or an effort to keep the niche he's carved out doing paid advertising to children who don't know any better, but either way, it's refreshing.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Who are you talking to? Who is demanding him be "punished" more?

He lost the job he didn't deserve at IGN. That is all I wanted. Just because I am in here discussing (okay, maybe laughing at) his attempts to salvage his desired career doesn't mean I am frothing with anger demanding his blood. He shouldn't be harassed or anything, but if he is still making content, people are going to have things to say about it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

Are you actually reading this thread, because it doesn't seem like it.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for any kind of punishment, beyond pointing out that no website should hire him to write for them, which is less a "desire for justice" and just common sense.

I seriously don't get where this idea that people are out for blood is coming from. The harshest thing most people are saying is that he should fade into obscurity.

I mean maybe I'm just missing all these hostile posts, but you'd think people would be quoting them and reporting them instead of posting these vague, holier-than-thou monologues.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I mean, it should be good that he finally apologized....but if he was truly sorry, he could have made an effort to do it well, and to address every individual he has wrong.
But following his previous work ethic, he didn't do much here either.

It's clearly because he really thought he could get away with it, even after IGN firing him. He really thought he could then pivot to the pretend-to-be-persecuted market, but I guess that's not working well enough for him, and thus we get this.

I'm all for forgiving people and second chances. I'm just also for intelligence, and it doesn't take much to realize that if your apology is long overdue, and if you denied doing wrong for the longest, then you need to go hard as hell not to win people back, but to acknowledge your wrongs to them with great effort and to, if possible, make it up to them in any way possible.
Otherwise, you just don't care.
Otherwise, it's just PR.

Oct 25, 2017
When did I say that? I am saying he's blaming Filip over shit he either did for himself by declining to speak with Colin and then hashing out the reason why in the Twitter verse and then saying that Filip is to blame for his legion of "fans" to go after him in DMs. Again, those fools would have harassed Chris either way.

Miucin being honest wouldn't have resulted in him being contacted by Colin's fans. Also, Miucin's denial was implicitly calling him a liar, which itself made him a target of his fans. I'm also confused why you put fans in scare quotes, being shitty doesn't absolve them of fandom, especially when Miucin didn't do anything in response. How good a person can Miucin be to lie, see the consequences of his lies hurt others, and say nothing for months?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
He does deserve a second chance, but not in this industry.

maxresdefault.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

It kind of is? Factually. He's trying to be a gaming journalist. We're people who are post in a gaming forum. We're part of his potential audience, so we decide whether or not he deserves an audience by choosing whether to watch or not.

Consider that you yourself said:

I don't like Filip Muicin much. I don't like the way he presents. I don't like his content. Hell...I don't even like his hair!
If you don't trust him now...that's cool, ignore his content as I will.
I certainly never liked his content and have zero interest in his opinion on anything

So what form does your forgiveness take? What is the difference between you forgiving him and deciding not to give watch his videos and not to contribute to his future career than anyone else not forgiving him and deciding not to watch his videos and not to contribute to his future career?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So what form does your forgiveness take? What is the difference between you forgiving him and deciding not to give watch his videos and not to contribute to his future career than anyone else not forgiving him and deciding not to watch his videos and not to contribute to his future career?

He's emanating Good Vibes, whereas we're emanating Bad Vibes. Receive a certain amount of Good Vibes and you receive a complimentary job in the field of your choice. If you receive too many Bad Vibes you're put to death.