• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, Derailing thread
sounds like another unfortunate victim of the VR defense force.

better cross every I and dot every T or they will hunt you down!

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
Man couldn't IGN rate it as garbage because it's Single Player Borderlands with none of the DLC for $50 instead of their lack of ability to check safety settings in a VR game?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Regardless of whether or not checking the options is mandatory for a trustworthy review, I gotta say I wouldn't expect basic game mechanics to be a toggleable switch in the options menu.

Absolutely this. While I believe that this should have been part of parcel of review writing so the mechanics would have been uncovered and some complaints against the game would have been addressed, most gamers who are not enthusiasts are not going to uncheck settings for basic game functionality - they would expect it to be on.

While VR might be mostly enthusiast at the moment, as PSVR grows there will be more "casual" people picking up VR for the first time and what they get when they turn on Borderlands 2 VR will likely be what they play. The review might be ironically a review representative of a non-enthusiasts likely experience with the game.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
''The shooting in RDR2 feels dumb.''
''Have you tried Free Aim? Just go to the options menu.''
''There is an option for aiming?!!''

Not really comparable though. RE7 have comfort options as well. Why didn't it get dinged for having these on?
I don't know if Borderlands 3 tell the users about these options because RE7 did at the start. Every well made VR game have those comfort options because people have different reaction in VR. Could a PC reviewer complains about low FOV in a game when there is an FOV slider? Or someone complains about a game lacking subtitles when there is an option?

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped taking IGN reviews seriously during the Wii era when they said shit like "You can't get past the first boss in Punchout with motion controls because they aren't responsive enough" (I beat the entire game easily, controls were perfectly responsive), and "Ubertricks are impossible to pull off in SSX Blur" (they are done by pointer so they are accurate, just draw the shape across your entire screen).

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017

The issue is that it's pretty common sense at this point to check options for motion options and safety features and yet despite reviewing other VR games before they somehow didn't even think to try. It legitimately is not a fair review if you complain about features not being in when they are in because you don't feel like looking in a specialized tab of the settings.
Not everything is a conspiracy, hate mob or movement.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I blame whoever edited the review more than the reviewer himself. This is a silly mistake, and whoever checked the work should have known to ask "are you really super sure there's no ability to run and jump?"

Reviewer should have tried a bit harder, but this review should have never made it out the door. Poor editing. Assuming review editing is still Dan Stapleton's gig, final blame lies with him.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

lol

Literally had a similar feeling reading about this.

So what you're saying is you condone reviewers posting factually incorrect information because they couldn't be bothered to take a cursory glance at a game's options menu. This is the hill you want to die on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a huge game even without the DLC. And it's fun in single player. That's how I mostly play it.
It's still a tough sell when games like Thumper, Wipeout, and others have VR modes patched in for free. $50 for a version of Borderlands 2 in 2018 that doesn't really add anything new feature-wise (and strips out one of the biggest selling points in multiplayer) is a bit silly. The Handsome Collection exists, this should have just been a free add-on for that.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Absolutely this. While I believe that this should have been part of parcel of review writing so the mechanics would have been uncovered and some complaints against the game would have been addressed, most gamers who are not enthusiasts are not going to uncheck settings for basic game functionality - they would expect it to be on.

While VR might be mostly enthusiast at the moment, as PSVR grows there will be more "casual" people picking up VR for the first time and what they get when they turn on Borderlands 2 VR will likely be what they play. The review might be ironically a review representative of a non-enthusiasts likely experience with the game.
Lol! So if we're going that direction should they just write multiple reviews? Review for casuals, hardcore, in between, and others? It may be how clueless most of society is but at least if the reviewers give the correct facts about a game more casuals won't fall victim to that cluelessness.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
It's a huge game even without the DLC. And it's fun in single player. That's how I mostly play it.
It's also a damm old game at this point being charged $50 for, and Multiplayer whether you subjectively used it or not is a franchise staple and thus the omission is incredibly strange and for most, very disappointing.
It makes this seem like a cash grab.

May 17, 2018
This the same IGN that nominated Below for two best of the year awards despite admitting no one at the site has played it?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Pretty damn obvious that the reviewer doesn't play VR games, same with a few posters in this thread. VR haters gives me life.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a damm old game at this point being charged $50 for, and Multiplayer whether you subjectively used it or not is a franchise staple and thus the omission is incredibly strange and for most, very disappointing.
It makes this seem like a cash grab.

Mind you getting co-op to work in VR is hard. Framerate is very important to VR and if co-op causes massive FPS drops due to the additional player than it can really make it unpleasant experience.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
defaulting to a terrible experience without hinting or giving you an option at the beginning is a strange design choice

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
correct me if wrong, but this is not the 1st time IGN makes a review stating wrong facts, right/

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine playing a VR game without checking the setting first. Hell I check setting first for any game, even VN which barely has interaction.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Mind you getting co-op to work in VR is hard. Framerate is very important to VR and if co-op causes massive FPS drops due to the additional player than it can really make it unpleasant experience.
It's not really the customer's job to solve that issue. It's just the customer's job to decide if that's a feature that's worth $50 if lost, haha. imo, taking out one of the two core franchise pillars (the other being the random guns) and still charging close to full price is just shy of insulting. But as I said, people can decide that for themselves.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I respect game journos and their work, this is unacceptable. There's no excuse for this.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Considering they're arguably the biggest and most popular gaming outlet out there, they really need better editorial oversight. This hasn't exactly been the greatest year for IGN's credibility and reputation.

Yep, this moreso the fault of the editorial process than the reviewer in question. IGN isn't some fan blog or a forum where the staff can just toss out whatever they wish freely. There likely are filters and some level of scrutiny from above when a review is turned in, especially with a score that low to be made public.

The process is in doubt when due diligence fails on multiple counts. Understandable that a critic could miss something, but when a 3.0 is pushed to print, any reputable managing editor would ensure the verdict sound. This failed at both levels.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
While I think for a professional review outlet to do this is a bit embarrassing, as a normal user, checking the options or looking at the game trophies as you start a game seems insane to me.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
When VR can figure out how not to do that, we can start getting games I would want.
Regular games on regular displays can make people feel whoozy. Hasn't stopped you finding enjoyable games using regular displays.

While I think for a professional review outlet to do this is a bit embarrassing, as a normal user, checking the options or looking at the game trophies as you start a game seems insane to me.
It's all relative. There are console only gamers who'd think having to mess with drivers or graphics options is insane. Multiple movement options is pretty standard in VR.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
defaulting to a terrible experience without hinting or giving you an option at the beginning is a strange design choice

In VR games, you have these thing called comfort options because players have various degree of tolerances with regards to motion sickness. Games usually default to the highest comfort level(most restriction) and players can tone that down or remove it entirely depending on what works for them.

This is standard.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In VR games, you have these thing called comfort options because players have various degree of tolerances with regards to motion sickness. Games usually default to the highest comfort level(most restriction) and players can tone that down or remove it entirely depending on what works for them.

This is standard.
uh yeah, i'm not arguing that uncomfortable should be the default

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
correct me if wrong, but this is not the 1st time IGN makes a review stating wrong facts, right/

Its just ign being ign. People will continue to defend their quantity over quality approach to game journalism. Ign will continue to make mistakes and retractions... and the world will keep spinning. This isnt the first, second, third or fourth time something like this has happened and it wont be the last. The argument usually tends to be, "ign publishes so much how can one expect them to perform even the most basic form of review on the content they are putting out?!". If people kept their fingers firmly pointed at ign as the source of the problem these issues would become less common imo.

For example, during the whole phillip mucin debacle, had people taken a break from bashing phillip they would have noticed ign probably shouldnt have hired him to begin with considering his plagarized resume/linked in profile (cant remember if it was one or the other, or both). Im not trying to condone his actions, just suggesting that if ign had any type of quality controll, he wouldnt have been hired to begin with. Similar to how if ign had taken a moment to confirm some of the things claimed in this boarderlands review, prior to publishing it, they likely could have avoided this current debacle.