• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Reading the review sounds like he was forced to use the default options. lol. The control schemes are WILDLY different and he just vomits out a review based on one control scheme. They did the same thing with Skyrim VR. They straight ignored optional control schemes like using the DS4, which is superior in my view.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
defaulting to a terrible experience without hinting or giving you an option at the beginning is a strange design choice

They tell you. The whole introduction has new audio from the robot joking about VR and the ability to change options and be aware it may make you sick.

But it's a VR thread about misinformation in a review so added misinformation is par for the course.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The writer should be criticized for this, but his mistake honestly kinda serves to highlight the problem keeping VR gaming from widespread adoption in general. The fact that the devs were so afraid of people getting sick playing their VR port that they made the default experience barely playable to the standard of the "normal" gaming experience is, in my view, a notable indictment of VR's mass market future unless an unintrusive solution to the motion sickness problem is integrated into the programming or hardware.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's pretty embarrassing. You should always check options before complaining about something, especially for a VR game.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
People who don't look at options before or during the game are weirdos and I will have no backtalk about this.
Yeah that's definitely me. I only ever go in there if I feel something is off during playtime, otherwise I assume author's intent and go ahead. If nothing bothers me then I'm all good.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They tell you. The whole introduction has new audio from the robot joking about VR and the ability to change options and be aware it may make you sick.

But it's a VR thread about misinformation in a review so added misinformation is par for the course.
ah, that's good then

i wonder if there will be a VR equivalent to "stare at this light, now this one, now this one" (for inverted/non-inverted controls) for VR comfort as the platform matures

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The writer should be criticized for this, but his mistake honestly kinda serves to highlight the problem keeping VR gaming from widespread adoption in general. The fact that the devs were so afraid of people getting sick playing their VR port that they made the default experience barely playable to the standard of the "normal" gaming experience is, in my view, a notable indictment of VR's mass market future unless an unintrusive solution to the motion sickness problem is integrated into the programming or hardware.

You could potentially calibrate for a user just once and use that profile on all the games, however VR tolerances also depend on factors that aren't fixed, like how full is your tummy or are you sick etc. It'll be solved eventually though.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

That's not it. The point is he could have enjoyed himself much more with different option. I don't like using the Move controllers for Doom. I think its bad, but alot of people LOVE them and absolutely dominate with them. It's not unplayable though. It's just 3/10 bad for ME.

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018
This thread is bad-take central. Reallllly putting the ignore button to work here.

Humans review games. Humans make mistakes. Extrapolating that as laziness and an overall reflection of an entire outlet is ridiculous.

Critique is fine, but so many of you are being shitty here in an entirely unjustifiable way.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
If you don't go to the options menu and look over the options carefully before starting a game, then you shouldn't be playing games or interacting with anything that has an options menu. So many basic complaints idiots have with games can be boiled down to "I didn't check the options and just dived right in".

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is bad-take central. Reallllly putting the ignore button to work here.

Humans review games. Humans make mistakes. Extrapolating that as laziness and an overall reflection of an entire outlet is ridiculous.

Critique is fine, but so many of you are being shitty here in an entirely unjustifiable way.
What? Criticizing the proof is absolutely on-point, the entire fucking point of an editor is quality control.

IGN's editorial reputation, objectively speaking, has had a very bad year. They deserve all the criticism they can, I don't know how you can keep letting them off the hook for so many egregious mistakes slipping through. They need a filter.

Humans make mistakes. But humans also have jobs, and mistakes can cost them.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
This review was clearly written by one of those guys that make "unboxing" videos on YouTube...we all know how they feel about instruction manuals or documents that tell you how to adjust things...

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
The solution is a large frame of reference (cockpit or different trick) or tying movement 1:1 with hand input someway. I think thats it.

People get motion sickness in real life, in cars and trains. Not exactly a problem getting solved anytime soon, unless theres some crazy unpredictable tech breakthrough.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
As much of a rush job I'm sure the review and the reviewer was in, I'll never understand how people in these positions in this industry don't take their jobs seriously. Every game I play I look at the options menu and check everything a game has to offer, and I'm not even reviewing them for a living. It's a bad look on whoever that reviewer was for sure.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I saw someone say well casuals wouldn't know...I mean I was 6, 7 years old and I was selecting the Options menu before I play a new game.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those mistakes are like VR gaming 101, you always check for comfort settings before playing. You can argue that he's new to whole VR but why let him review this.

They are the biggest videogame outlet there is, they should know and produce better especially that the Filip thing was just recent. They need a better editorial or at least someone to check their content before they publish it. And hire / outsource a better reviewer

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Those mistakes are like VR gaming 101, you always check for comfort settings before playing. You can argue that he's new to whole VR but why let him review this.

They are the biggest videogame outlet there is, they should know and produce better especially that the Filip thing was just recent. They need a better editorial or at least someone to check their content before they publish it. And hire / outsource a better reviewer
Precisely.

This isn't a little blog where they can't afford proofers or fact-checkers. This is a huge fucking website with tons of revenue, there should be a QA team. Even fucking Medium has content curators employed to make sure big fuckups are caught.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I can understand why the reviewer had never checked the settings. I never do either. The only time I go into the settings is to turn subtitles on. Other wise, I play the game as the developer intended it and only change anything if it's presented to me while startingthe game.

Do we know if the game ever makes it known that these options are available? I have not read the thread or anything. Didn't even know this game existed.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately many smaller games get hit with unfair reviews from some outlets and the people who complain in the comments just tend to blend in with the general trolling that goes on in any comments section. At least this review got pulled.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can understand why the reviewer had never checked the settings. I never do either. The only time I go into the settings is to turn subtitles on. Other wise, I play the game as the developer intended it and only change anything if it's presented to me while startingthe game.

Do we know if the game ever makes it known that these options are available? I have not read the thread or anything. Didn't even know this game existed.

I'm assuming you have never played anything in VR?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair I don't need IGN to tell me to avoid a VR single player Borderlands.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I absolutely agree that it is human to make mistakes, and that an honest mistake should be forgiven. When your actual job description is to give a detailed and informed opinion of a game, this does look more like someone who is not taking their job seriously.

The reviewer absolutely panned the game on the sole basis that the VR version had severely limited movement options, but didn't even check the menu to make sure this actually was the case. That would have been sloppy work even if the game didn't literally tell you in the intro that those options were available.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Pretty freakin negligent, imo. The "comfort" and "control" menus are literally at the top of the options screen. Aside from that, even describing the default scheme as "unplayable" is a bit of a joke. It controls and looks just fine. The description of the "Iris effect", which is extremely common (and optional) in VR games with free movement gives me the impression that dude maybe has never played a VR game before?

I mean... You can't strafe? What? Yes you can lol. You can strafe using any of the control schemes with either the Moves or the DS4...

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

So its okay to critique a game without doing your homework, but not only to critique the reviewer for not doing his homework? I mean, humans make mistakes? Maybe someone in here just didn't do their homework and read into the post too much, maybe the review isn't all that bad. Too bad for them though, they get the ignore button.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Jeez guys, people make mistakes. I know it's hip to hate on ign and all but give em a break.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Pretty freakin negligent, imo. The "comfort" and "control" menus are literally at the top of the options screen. Aside from that, even describing the default scheme as "unplayable" is a bit of a joke. It controls and looks just fine. The description of the "Iris effect", which is extremely common (and optional) in VR games with free movement gives me the impression that dude maybe has never played a VR game before?

I mean... You can't strafe? What? Yes you can lol. You can strafe using any of the control schemes with either the Moves or the DS4...

I had a guy insist that Skyrim VR was teleportation only. I told him that I played through the entire game without teleportation. He said they must have updated it with a patch. lol. I wonder how many times this stuff happens. Skyrim had day one full locomotion. Option menu people, jeez.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jeez guys, people make mistakes. I know it's hip to hate on ign and all but give em a break.
Why should such a large site get a break when they fuck up often?

IGN giving a 3 is severely damaging to a game and when the 3 isn't even warranted I'd sure hope they'd be called out for it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
IGN trying to review a VR game and having zero clue about VR...... embarrassing.

Borderlands 2 VR is great. There are loads of control and comfort options and so far the game is an absolute blast in VR, the graphics hold up very well too.

Shame it's just the base game but honestly, that's still plenty to play through in VR and it could do with AIM support, hopefully that is patched in but overall it's still an awesome game for VR.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017

IGN giving a 3 is severely damaging to a game and when the 3 isn't even warranted I'd sure hope they'd be called out for it.
And they pulled the review when they realised their mistakes. Shit happens, whether you are large company or a small one. It's all people at the end of the day.

May 17, 2018
Earlier this week, IGN posted their best of the year list and nominated Below for both best Xbox game and best action adventure game.

Then, the very next day, Dan Stapleton tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/danstapleton/status/1072645585516290051?s=21

So, they nominated it before playing it outside of preview events or whatever. Definitely not the final game, nor did anyone there complete it. Awards are dumb, so, whatever, but, I thought it kinda sucked to see that.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VR games tend to be those where the options can change the experience entirely. I was shocked by how much better Bound became after switching to the alternate camera modes.

Developers will usually turn on the more limiting options by default to protect those that aren't used to VR.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And they pulled the review when they realised their mistakes. Shit happens, whether you are large company or a small one. It's all people at the end of the day.
The review should have never been posted. I have higher expectations from the largest site than I do for smaller sites. More people should equal less fuck ups.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree completely, but posts immediately asking for the name of the author are pretty terrible.

Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
Having played the game I'm just going to point out that Claptrap tells you that you can change the movement settings in the first five minutes of play but you know I actually played the game.