• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's awkward

Although the gimping of the movement in the game by default so people don't puke isn't really a good sign for the game imo

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Can someone screen cap the options menu? It sounds like a mess so I can't blame him

In what way is comfort settings that are pretty standard in all 3D VR games a mess?
Also bonus image of on-screen prompt during the initial minutes of the game, while claptrap explains the options to you.

TIi78DL.jpg

In Braaier speak: Yikes!

What a sloppy effort from the reviewer.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If video games are bottled water these people would drink with the cap on and then complains about it.

''This is impossible to drink! Why would they leave the bottle cap on? I thought this is the intended way to drink? Why else would they sell it like this?''

I wish all developers have garbage default setting like Red Dead Redemption 2 just so these cavemen would finally learn to use the settings.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's awkward

Although the gimping of the movement in the game by default so people don't puke isn't really a good sign for the game imo
Have you ever played any game in the Borderlands series?

You can look around kind of quickly, that's probably true for most FPS. I can see that causing all kinds of problems for ppl in VR. Or you can look in a circle non stop. That would be vomit inducing for most ppl in a non VR game.

Having the default setup the most calm way to play possible is best IMO. Then the individual can adjust accordingly.

Hell, IIRC the default camera movement in non VR games isn't at the max. I think most games by default start off with the most calm settings.

Settings ppl...settings.....

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
...then why have a review of Boarderlands 2 VR at all?

Never mind that you came in here to call a screen you never have even seen before, "a mess." Be less transparent.
Look at all the options. I don't know if we should honestly expect reviewers to spend untold time going through the options menu. A game should just work without tinkering. This is a console vr headset. If it was pc that would be another story since that is more expected on that front. But on the console front? Nope. People just want to play their games without tinkering. This is too much. Way too many control options from the screens posted. There really needs to be some type of tutorial where you can choose your control options IN-GAME, not having to wade through these messy options screens, especially if changing the controls is as much of a game changer as some of you say.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is just inexcusable then, lmao.

Like....How did you get to actually playing the game and miss this.....
The clap trap screen should be more informative. Okay...so I can change my movement mode. It should mention how you can sprint, strafe, jump etc. by going into the options menu. Just stating you can change your movement mode is way too general. Needs specifics!

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Disappointing to see. Developers work hard to put expansive settings in their games to give you your own custom and optimal experience for a reason. No default control scheme will please everyone. Pointing out the settings menu was somewhat confusing could have been a good critique! If that was the problem. But to flat out ignore a game's customization settings and judge a game based on things they give you the choice to change is definitely not okay and I don't expect that lack of thoroughness from a professional reviewer.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
Who the heck dosen't check the settings when they have a problem controls or visuals? Did they wait till the very last minute to play and review the game?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at all the options. I don't know if we should honestly expect reviewers to spend untold time going through the options menu. A game should just work without tinkering. This is a console vr headset. If it was pc that would be another story since that is more expected on that front. But on the console front? Nope. People just want to play their games without tinkering. This is too much. Way too many control options from the screens posted. There really needs to be some type of tutorial where you can choose your control options IN-GAME, not having to wade through these messy options screens, especially if changing the controls is as much of a game changer as some of you say.
The clap trap screen should be more informative. Okay...so I can change my movement mode. It should mention how you can sprint, strafe, jump etc. by going into the options menu. Just stating you can change your movement mode is way too general. Needs specifics!

Give it up mate. We all know you're still pissed that Labo didn't eclipse PSVR but you need to get over it and stop coming into threads you have no interest in.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Lmao, untold time. Literally took me 10:seconds to figure that out if you play VR games. Lots of hot air there.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
It would be one thing if it was the reviewers first VR game and VR games didn't inform you of alternate movement options because "everyone knows about this in VR games so no need to bother."

But it's not.

The game clearly points out that you can change movement settings and the guy either wasn't paying attention or forgot to write it down in his review notes. Neither is good but people can be forgetful, especially as they get older, so I could let the reviewer slide if it was forgetfulness but if it's the former then you can't make excuses for it.

When normal people make mistakes, they try to correct them if possible, this sounds like the reviewer just half arsed their job (again if pure forgetfulness isn't the reason) so it's fair to call them out on a job poorly done.

Same goes for the editor.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously not a o important for them to be a respected source for vr since we already know that vr related content does not get many clicks. They're more focused on content ppl gonna click

What a silly comment. If you are going to review a game you need to give it the appropriate amount of time and attention. What is your game here, Braaier?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It must be painful to pay editors tens of thousands of dollars a year to have silly things like this ruin your image.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
And I do have interest. Are these threads only open to those that own the game? Go away

You mainly seem to have an interest in anything negative affiliated with PlayStation.

I've never seen you say anything positive about PlayStation, lol. A comment or two probably does exist, but it's buried under all the negativity.

Your participation in this thread is even more rediculous, you're defending a reviewer for not doing his job properly.

Last edited:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Any chance the reviewer is a freelancer for IGN? Not that that excuses the misinformation, but could explain the poor quality of the review. I'm not sure if this is stuff that their editor(s) would have picked up on prior to making the review public, unless it was a rush job.

It sure has been pretty rough for them this year.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So obviously the reviewer has never played RE7, Skyrim VR, Farpoint, Firewall...

Why were they given BL2 VR to review?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Incredible.

Especially since almost every VR game has these enabled by default for comfort.

Imagine if I never went into the settings for Resident Evil VII....

IGN has become shit. This is coming from someone who was active on their site since it's inception until just recently.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just disappointed they have a person reviewing VR games that doesn't give a damn about VR games.

Because otherwise you'd know all this is in settings. And VR game defaults are appropriately least motion sickness tuned.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
I heard somebody on Giant Beastcast do that today with ashen talking about the AI. He never mentioned you can turn it off.

It always annoys me when prominent websites, streamers, podcasts etc misinforms people. I know they dont mean to, but I usually always look at the options, especially if a mechanic bothers me.
Damn you, Alex.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ugh, that's not good. I don't think it's mandatory to write about settings/options in a review, but reviewer should absolutely go through them. Really sloppy work.

Oct 27, 2017
I heard somebody on Giant Beastcast do that today with ashen talking about the AI. He never mentioned you can turn it off.

It always annoys me when prominent websites, streamers, podcasts etc misinforms people. I know they dont mean to, but I usually always look at the options, especially if a mechanic bothers me.

People are human and make mistakes, which is understandable. It's also why I hate when people talk so confidently (or arrogantly) on things they aren't sure on. Ryan McCaffery is one of the few left at IGN that I really trust when they speak and he still leaves room for interpretation.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What game was that from?
https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/18/pokemon-alpha-sapphire-and-omega-ruby-review
You also have to navigate many bodies of water, since much of the late-game involves the HMs Surf and Dive to get from place to place. Diving was really neat back in 2002 when it was new, but I found it incredibly tedious in Alpha and Omega — an obvious example of how superfluous some HMs are.

The water itself is absolutely gorgeous with the new graphics and details, though. One of my favorite parts of the entire adventure was splashing through puddles that reflected the starry skies at night, and even diving was made better by seeing a school of Luvdisc swimming by. Building my Super Secret Base on the rainy Route 119 had an extra-comfy, drinking-tea-on-a-rainy-day feel. Everything in Hoenn, water or not, is either delightfully cute or strikingly beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing the entire region anew — despite the tediousness associated with navigating all that pretty water.

Still, a few of its flaws are even more glaring in 3D, especially the excess water Pokémon and often dull navigation of their habitats
Haven't played it, but I never understood how this is taken as completely unreasonable criticism. Seems like she thought it had negative effect on traversal.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah I feel like Borderlands 2 VR, after having tried it, still deserves a poor rating (maybe 4/10 5/10) because it is a bare bones unplayable mess. When the Vita version of a game has more going for it than yours, that's when you should know yours in trouble.

I frigger with the settings and indeed you can get it moving much quicker. Of course the trade off is much worse performance, which is the biggest cause of motion sickness in VR.

With safety settings on default, the game performs pretty good. Sadly the second you set the options to allow better agility you notice 2 massive issues. First is how hanky and terrible this game is when moving faster than a snails pace, and second, they dropped the difficulty down a lot. There is no need to increase player speed as the game can be played easily on default settings. And difficulty doesn't adjust when you adjust controls.

Sad that ignore missed those options but as they ruin the already terrible game with janky, motion sickness inducing performance issues, and effectively need the game, IGN was still pretty close to spot on in their review. Terrible port, and new champion holder of "Worst Version of BL2" award. Previously owned by the Vita port which performs much better than the VR port and is more content complete.

Unplayable? I've read a ton of impressions with no one coming close to saying that. Most are actually really enjoying it.

Even then the complaints can be fixed through patches. I doubt it'll be coop though.

Also, did you try DS4 controls?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is even more embarassing than the plagiarism. Back then they actually could build a defense that it's difficult to discover plagiarisms, but here the review should be read/watched by someone else and a warning light should pop if the author is making unlikely statements. A VR version of a popular action game without running and jumping? Yeah right.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Options/Setting is the very first thing I pick in any game I ever play, on any platform. It amazes me to think there are people who don't, especially reviewers complaining about anything related to controls.