• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are absolutely loads of control and comfort options in Borderlands 2 VR. I've seen a few people criticise the game for not being good "out of the box" but I think virtual reality is one of those scenarios where having a multitude of options is better because everyone has personal preferences.

I did a video on it here:

It can be cumbersome, I agree, because I required YouTube commenters to tell me how to move backwards with the PS Move. This is one of the better games with regards to a multitude of comfort settings and options, though, so you really shouldn't be slamming it for that. It really allows you to tailor the experience exactly to your needs/tastes, which is a positive.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Doesn't seem like the review has done much damage at all. At the time of this posting it was ranked 1# digital on amazon new release going against regular ps4 games. Not bad with such a small install base.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are absolutely loads of control and comfort options in Borderlands 2 VR. I've seen a few people criticise the game for not being good "out of the box" but I think virtual reality is one of those scenarios where having a multitude of options is better because everyone has personal preferences.

I did a video on it here:

It can be cumbersome, I agree, because I required YouTube commenters to tell me how to move backwards with the PS Move. This is one of the better games with regards to a multitude of comfort settings and options, though, so you really shouldn't be slamming it for that. It really allows you to tailor the experience exactly to your needs/tastes, which is a positive.

For new page.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The clap trap screen should be more informative. Okay...so I can change my movement mode. It should mention how you can sprint, strafe, jump etc. by going into the options menu. Just stating you can change your movement mode is way too general. Needs specifics!
SpEcIfIcS, PeOpLe!!

IGN is complaining there are no options, and you are complaining they're too many options lol.

There's a reason START button is called OPTIONS, reviewers like IGN needed a big bold button on the controller to show them it exists.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'd say some people are going a little hard on this.

Is this an embarrassing mistake for a reviewer to make? Yes. Should they have pulled the review? Yes. Should they perhaps have it re-reviewed by some else? Sure. Should the writer issue and apology? Sure. (Because I'm sure review scores truly matter for a lot if games and their success, especially coming from a site like ign.)

But I can also see how something like this could happen. A lot of people probably never touch the options menu in a game (I'm sure a VR enthusiast would, but this writer is probably not that). Default settings being bad for a game would have been a legitimate criticism had the writer been properly informed. We should expect better of people who are paid to do this, but this really just falls under "dumb mistake" territory.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen this happen several times with IGN reviews. The author saying something can't be done or there isn't an option to do something but the comments correct them.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Braaier tries navigating VR options menu:

giphy.gif

Very good.

Is this an embarrassing mistake for a reviewer to make? Yes. Should they have pulled the review? Yes. Should they perhaps have it re-reviewed by some else? Sure. Should the writer issue and apology? Sure. (Because I'm sure review scores truly matter for a lot if games and their success, especially coming from a site like ign.)

But I can also see how something like this could happen. A lot of people probably never touch the options menu in a game (I'm sure a VR enthusiast would, but this writer is probably not that). Default settings being bad for a game would have been a legitimate criticism had the writer been properly informed. We should expect better of people who are paid to do this, but this really just falls under "dumb mistake" territory.

Default settings are usually at max comfort levels, it has been explained many times in this thread. A VR gamer would spend a couple of minutes setting it up to suit their tolerances. You don't need to be a "VR enthusiast" to get this, merely one who has played VR games.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That makes zero sense. There's no way for the reviews editor to check for plagiarism from a non written source from a small YouTube video. It makes no sense to fire them

Actually, there is. It's been discussed in the original thread about that whole situation. It's just whether IGN wants to invest the money on a NLP recognition product. However, that's besides the point. It's not uncommon for a manager to resign or be fired after a scandal involving an employee that's under his/her watch, even if the manager has no direct involvement or knowledge in the matter.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
When you have to play Inverted Y-Axis you learn to go to the options before anything else. Putting on Subtitles and turning down Music to 75% is my trifecta of things to do before hitting New Game. I'm not even a reviewer!

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
It's even funnier when you consider the fact that they have previewed this game and talked about movement options (time stamp included):

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
When their complaints are about the lack of options, I'd say it's mandatory for them to look.
Yeah as I said reviewer should check options/settings, just that I don't think those have to be a part of a review text. Of course if there are some glaring flaws like missing basic features such as no audiosliders altogether or no subtitle toggle, that's kinda important. If the reviewer went through the options in this case while playing, that would have prevented them for writing misinformed review.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
LOL. Stay winning IGN.

I'm not a reviewer, but it seems it would be professionally a good idea to have a checklist or workflow when you approach a game, like check the options menu.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
As much I hate the misinformation about the review, I really hope the guy doesn't get fired over this. Maybe he just shouldn't do VR reviews. Simple enough.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I dont look at the options at all. I just want to play. Everthing else is to much work for me. I have to say, i'm not that type of gamer, who plays a ton of games. Maybe i would do it differently, If i would play a lot.

I can accept that, but if you were running into game-stopping problems with controls from the get-go wouldn't you then check the options page?

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018

Yeah, people are slamming them with the same "lol dumb ign is dumb".

But, damn.
It's a simple mistake that should be corrected and appears to be in the process of doing so.

Some people need to get off their high horse.

It sucks for the reviewer, but they definitely should have checked the options and not have based a 3/10 review score on something such and the comfort settings.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who don't look at options before or during the game are weirdos and I will have no backtalk about this.
On PS4 I don't because options are usually so limited I don't bother.

Then again I'm not a professional reviewer that millions of people look to when deciding to buy a game so I think it's okay in my case.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's even funnier when you consider the fact that they have previewed this game and talked about movement options (time stamp included):

That's hilarious. They even talk about a lot more features and options that they added that wasn't in base game.

But, damn.
It's a simple mistake that should be corrected and appears to be in the process of doing so.

It sucks for the reviewer, but they definitely should have checked the options and not have based a 3/10 review score on something such and the comfort settings.

Bull. IGN gave the game 3/10 for its damn controls. The same 3/10 was given to God Hand for its controls/style. IGN's review essentially affect sales, and they need to know the impact of it. Sucks for the reviewer? No, sucks for the developers who works so hard on this game only to be told "3/10, do you even have options to change controls?!"

IGN can play the high horse and pull the review after being completely wrong about it, but the impact is always nasty. Will this become an 8/10 game now for IGN? For their "integrity" I fucking doubt it, and that's a shame for the marketing at Sony who spend millions on TV ads to market their VR for the holidays.

Next time, they should stop hiring freelancers. I will stop paying attention even more to IGN, and I'm glad I've solemnly ignored them since Miller/Casamassina's departure. The company is a shell of its former self, a house of shilling and bad contributors contributing to it.

But yes, feel bad for the man who is doing his job, baffled by the controls and writing 1000+ words on why it's so bad to not have option, when the OPTIONS button is in big, bold letters in the controller.

Like "do you even game, bro?" level of silliness lol.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad they didn't get enough flack to have their Path of Exile review pulled as well.

Dunno how they let shit like this through in the first place.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

But, damn.

Imo that's not a mistake, it's bad work to criticize things before taking a look at the options.

It looks more like the reviewer has no plan about VR games and that's not professional for one of the biggest gaming sites...

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
What a surprise. A reviewer in 2018 turns out to be a complete amateur. Game journalism is getting worse by the years

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

But, damn.

I'd agree with you if it was a simple mistake isolated within a sentence or two, but these factual errors formed the basis of the entire review. If you took out everything factually wrong from the previous review, there'd barely be anything left. If it was a simple mistake, it would have been kept up but with the mistakes edited out. It's been taken down because a whole new review is going to have to be written, because the previous review isn't salvageable.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, maybe the whole strategy of only hiring twenty year olds that are stupid enough to accept 40K salaries in the Bay Area is backfiring

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hmmm, maybe the whole strategy of only hiring twenty year olds that are stupid enough to accept 40K salaries in the Bay Area is backfiring
Bay Area? I think this reviewer is sitting in Toronto, emailing it in along with the cheques lol.

Options are what made ALL GAMES good.

Please take the time to look at the options ffs.

Fixed. Who doesn't go to options as the very first thing in the game? Inverted/subtitles/audio/video/FOV settings be damned lol.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I tried to stay on IGN after Miller left, but their news section has become worse than buzzfeed and their reviews are, well, often bullshit.
I wish they were forced to get it together, but people will visit the site regardless.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

I'd be more willing to forgive if the reviewer had said that they couldn't find the options as opposed to it just saying definitively that there were no options. Now I haven't been able to read the article as not even the sea.ign link doesn't seem to work for me. But from what I'm gathering from some other reactions here that's what it sounds like.

And frankly it seems like if you're working at IGN then there's some due diligence you need to do on your part to be sure. I'm not much of a VR believer myself, but even I would think to investigate the options menu before stating there's no way to change certain settings. Even then if you couldn't personally find any options, maybe go the extra step and try to contact someone at Gearbox to confirm that there's no options for this.

The "a lot of people" excuse I don't think really works here since to be working at a publication like IGN you'd think there'd be a higher standard held here that the reviewer isn't just some rando but a seasoned gamer who actually would have the natural inclination to play around with the settings as opposed to sticking with all defaults and basing their experience off that. Sure bring up the defaults are not an enjoyable experience but point people in the right direction to change things at their own risk for motion sickness.

But this is another instance of a credibility issue with someone working on their editorial staff. Not as serious as plagerism, of course. It's certainly one of either laziness or ineptitude though.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I used to read in religiously during the n64 days but bonuses for that site since GameCube days. IGN is what I don't like about the industry. Just about the money.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether or not checking the options is mandatory for a trustworthy review, I gotta say I wouldn't expect basic game mechanics to be a toggleable switch in the options menu.

Sony mandates that all comfort options on VR games are enabled as default.

One would think a professional reviewer would be aware of this.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I give IGN a 3/10. What a way to end their 2018. The fact that they have someone reviewing their VR titles who clearly doesnt know the first thing about VR games is telling. What was the real intention of that review anyway if the guy didnt spend 5 minutes with comfort settings? And since when have poor controls mattered to them? It certainly didnt hurt their RDR2 review.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People who don't look at options before or during the game are weirdos and I will have no backtalk about this.

especially when they're complaining about missing features

on the flip side if you start up a game and think its perfect then theres not much reason to goto the settings

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Damn missed all the fun. I guess there's no way to read the article at this point?

Also I'm a good couple hours in, and as this is my first time playing any Borderlands game, this shit is great and controls beautifully:-)