• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area? I think this reviewer is sitting in Toronto, emailing it in along with the cheques lol.

Fixed. Who doesn't go to options as the very first thing in the game? Inverted/subtitles/audio/video/FOV settings be damned lol.
Yeah, I looked up his social media and it looks like he's a pretty experienced freelancer. Weird situation.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be more willing to forgive if the reviewer had said that they couldn't find the options as opposed to it just saying definitively that there were no options. Now I haven't been able to read the article as not even the sea.ign link doesn't seem to work for me. But from what I'm gathering from some other reactions here that's what it sounds like.

And frankly it seems like if you're working at IGN then there's some due diligence you need to do on your part to be sure. I'm not much of a VR believer myself, but even I would think to investigate the options menu before stating there's no way to change certain settings. Even then if you couldn't personally find any options, maybe go the extra step and try to contact someone at Gearbox to confirm that there's no options for this.

The "a lot of people" excuse I don't think really works here since to be working at a publication like IGN you'd think there'd be a higher standard held here that the reviewer isn't just some rando but a seasoned gamer who actually would have the natural inclination to play around with the settings as opposed to sticking with all defaults and basing their experience off that. Sure bring up the defaults are not an enjoyable experience but point people in the right direction to change things at their own risk for motion sickness.

But this is another instance of a credibility issue with someone working on their editorial staff. Not as serious as plagerism, of course. It's certainly one of either laziness or ineptitude though.
Seems to be a freelancer rather than a staff member.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
When you are literally getting paid to play video games, but you suck at that too. Writing a good review does require a good number of skills, but come on now. If you are going to claim that something is broken, at least investigate before embarrassing yourself and the company you work at. Why is it so hard for IGN to find good reviewers? who is ever getting these people on the IGN team needs to be fired.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused - are you arguing that it's more forgivable because it's not a member of the regular staff, or less because there should have necessarily been more oversight?
I'm not making any arguments, just correcting misinformation. These types of mistakes suck and hurt a lot of others.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I absolutely agree that it is human to make mistakes, and that an honest mistake should be forgiven. When your actual job description is to give a detailed and informed opinion of a game, this does look more like someone who is not taking their job seriously.

The reviewer absolutely panned the game on the sole basis that the VR version had severely limited movement options, but didn't even check the menu to make sure this actually was the case. That would have been sloppy work even if the game didn't literally tell you in the intro that those options were available.

Does that matter so much? It's more the fact that it got through editorial to press (or didn't) that's concerning.

The original error in the text is 100% on the writer, but any game review that stands out (either overly positive or overly negative) should be checked by an editor. A good editor will always stand behind a review (so long as a review is backed up), an average/poor editor simply checks for copyediting errors and publishes.

That said, we don't know if the editor reached out to the writer here. If the editor did, and the writer verified it was accurate, then the whole thing is on the writer. Editors are not fact checkers, and when you're paying for work, there is an implicit trust that the work is done well. Now, if the editor didn't bother double-checking with the writer on this after receiving the text, then the editor holds some blame as well.

Yeah, this error seems like something that would stem from lack of experience, and I'd say an editor should scrutinise more work of an inexperienced writer who has given a particularly harsh score.

I know the editor likely wouldn't see the game, but they'd know the circumstances surrounding the review.

It must be painful to pay editors tens of thousands of dollars a year to have silly things like this ruin your image.

Any chance the reviewer is a freelancer for IGN? Not that that excuses the misinformation, but could explain the poor quality of the review. I'm not sure if this is stuff that their editor(s) would have picked up on prior to making the review public, unless it was a rush job.

It sure has been pretty rough for them this year.

This author is a freelancer who has written for other outlets, including Gamespot and the Guardian.

This was not a staff review, but it also wasn't written by someone new to gaming.

When their complaints are about the lack of options, I'd say it's mandatory for them to look.

Options are the first thing I check. Got into that habit when inverted was still considered a "nice to have" thing.

It's even funnier when you consider the fact that they have previewed this game and talked about movement options (time stamp included):

Would have been done by a different person, in a different department. IGN isn't likely to fly a freelancer out to a preview event to capture video. That'll be done by a local team in SF.

I mean, these are all really unfortunate mistakes but I don't really know how they would get caught by an editor. Seems like more of a systemic problem with the writer/editor relationship than any one editor's fault.

These get caught by having a discussion with the writer. Good editors aren't going to know all the facts. They're not going to play all the games. They will talk to multiple people though. They'll have a sense (after working in the industry for years) as to where a game should likely land on the review scale and what pros/cons will be written about it. When something deviates (or when language is super strong one way or another) they're going to talk to the writer before publishing.

As I discuss above, this could be the fault of the editor rushing to publish, or it could be the result of the writer assuring the editor that the text is absolutely correct and the game deserves all the criticism.

In the latter case, an editor is going to trust an experienced freelancer like this one more than someone new to the field.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Literally the first thing I do when I get a new game is rush to the settings menu (and turn off vibration because holy fuck that shit is annoying).

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I think the thing about this that irks me the most is the fact that this was probably a side project relegated to a smaller team at Gearbox and led by someone who maybe doesn't often/hasn't had a chance to lead projects in the past. It's also received what seems like a pretty substantial marketing push from Sony. I've seen several commercials on TV during NBA games.

It seems like a big release with big expectations for PSVR. I understand if people don't give a damn about Sony or 2K's bottom line, but real people worked on this game. When/if management looks back on why this project bombed, are they going to point to the fact that one of the world's largest gaming publications gave it a score down indicative of one of this gen's worst releases? Probably. Are they going to pin the blame for that embarrassment on the dev team? Lol absolutely.

After a few hours with the game, I just don't see that score as being reasonable. Sure, there are some quirks and if you're upset that they didn't blow it out with all the post release content and online multiplayer, that's your prerogative... I just don't see this as a 3/10 game and the thought that a fundamental misunderstanding of the controls influenced that score is a bummer.

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly IGN have been garbage for a while now. Hiring a hack like Filip who even plageriases his own co workers and doesn't get caught. Then doing a shitty job at hosting NVC where even few months in no one says anything in the IGN team.

Now we have this review and the reviewer didn't even check the settings. Didn't IGN team even prooof read this, and didn't the lower 3 score make them think let's just double check this.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Honestly IGN have been garbage for a while now. Hiring a hack like Filip who even plageriases his own co workers and doesn't get caught. Then doing a shitty job at hosting NVC where even few months in no one says anything in the IGN team.

Now we have this review and the reviewer didn't even check the settings. Didn't IGN team even prooof read this, and didn't the lower 3 score make them think let's just double check this.

This is what I was curious about. Are reviewers, freelance or otherwise, able to just post reviews when they want? Doesn't IGN have editors that look at these, make changes if needed, and approve these reviews before going live? There's no excuse for this shit.

Oct 30, 2017
This is what I was curious about. Are reviewers, freelance or otherwise, able to just post reviews when they want? Doesn't IGN have editors that look at these, make changes if needed, and approve these reviews before going live? There's no excuse for this shit.

If IGN don't check reviews from their freelancers for plagerizing or just terrible reviews that don't even check settings on a VR game perhaps they should just be honest and change their reviews go being editable by the public like Wikipedia as it seems the site's content is poor.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This site has been a huge joke for years. I'm still a bit impressed by this. A bit. We get stuff like this from all over the enthusiast press.

I'm telling you: its underappreciated how close to each other online fandoms, marketing and online game coverage really are. The usgamer article this week should show how much like us these sites can be and the paradox of affording them much authority.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Unplayable? I've read a ton of impressions with no one coming close to saying that. Most are actually really enjoying it.

Even then the complaints can be fixed through patches. I doubt it'll be coop though.

Also, did you try DS4 controls?

I wouldn't say "most" are enjying it, it really isn't reviewing that well. The reviews are about on par with the vita version so far.

When I say unplayable I am not just talking about performance. I am also talking about the fact that adjusting controls to be more in line with a proper FPS makes the game too easy, while simultaneously making the game too fast to run smooth.

If you are judging the game on default settings it runs beautifully, but it is also sluggish and feels very un-borderlands.

If you adjust the settings to have movement be faster and more responsive, the game starts to get performance issues (which are a big cause of motion sickness) and the difficulty doesn't adjust to the quicker player movement. Essentially it becomes a badly performing nerfed version of Borderlands 2.

Either way you play it you lose compared to standard BL2. It is either too slow, or too easy, and janky sickness inducing.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
If IGN don't check reviews from their freelancers for plagerizing or just terrible reviews that don't even check settings on a VR game perhaps they should just be honest and change their reviews go being editable by the public like Wikipedia as it seems the site's content is poor.

Yup I'm all for it. They've had too many issues recently. I've never been a fan of theirs but I actually have enjoyed some of their reviews and content over the years. But this is ridiculous. And I mentioned earlier, I'm playing through it right now and it controls like a dream for me. First time playing the game too so I'm in love lol.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Seems to be a freelancer rather than a staff member.

This reviewer being a freelancer doesn't really change the overall point, as the review still needs to make it through editorial. I can't say I've ever worked at IGN, but I'd assume that they don't just give freelancers free range to just post up whatever they want on their website, similarly to how things work at the sports network I work at which features sports blogs that must meet some level of editorial standards and review.

This is just as much on the freelancer as it is the people who work in editorial for IGN.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I wouldn't say "most" are enjying it, it really isn't reviewing that well. The reviews are about on par with the vita version so far.

When I say unplayable I am not just talking about performance. I am also talking about the fact that adjusting controls to be more in line with a proper FPS makes the game too easy, while simultaneously making the game too fast to run smooth.

If you are judging the game on default settings it runs beautifully, but it is also sluggish and feels very un-borderlands.

If you adjust the settings to have movement be faster and more responsive, the game starts to get performance issues (which are a big cause of motion sickness) and the difficulty doesn't adjust to the quicker player movement. Essentially it becomes a badly performing nerfed version of Borderlands 2.

Either way you play it you lose compared to standard BL2. It is either too slow, or too easy, and janky sickness inducing.

I havent heard a single person say its unplayable though, you're the first out of maybe 70-80 impressions and reviews across psvr reddit, here, and site reviews.

Again, did you try the DS4 option?

EDIT: Never mind. I don't want to hear your opinion now. I thought your posts sounded oddly familiar to one of the reviews. The verbiage you used was too similar. Anyway, I searched your username and tagged PSVR, almost ALL your PSVR posts are super-inflammatory. You absolutely hate it RE7, Astrobot, all the classics.

Here's an example:

I played Astrobot on my cousin's PSVR and thank goodness I did because it is literally, nothing special. Great little platformer, but on a horrible platform.

VR is just utter garbage, and PSVR even moreso. I can easily toss out several dozen examples of platformers I found so much better on consoles that aren't gimmicky nonsense.

PSVR is utter garbage yet you "buy" games like Borderlines for it? Your BL2 complaints are straight lifted from reviews and mashed together with extra weighted negative spin for effect. That's what made me suspicious. From playing it at your cousin's house a couple weeks ago, calling it trash, now you own one??? AND you're buying games? lol. There are tons of hateful PSVR posts there, I just grabbed this one out of thin air.

Last edited:

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
IGN really needs better editors, there is no reason something like this should slip through the cracks. I stopped following them after the plagiarism fiasco, seems like a really inept company.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when IGN posted there review of Tales of Zesteria and complained about it not having an option to save outside of save points.

Except you could hit start and quick save literally anywhere outside of a cutscene or battle.

I posted a question asking if the guy never hit start the entire game and a week later the line was missing from the review lol

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
I remember when IGN posted there review of Tales of Zesteria and complained about it not having an option to save outside of save points.

Except you could hit start and quick save literally anywhere outside of a cutscene or battle.

I posted a question asking if the guy never hit start the entire game and a week later the line was missing from the review lol
hilarious.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I never really go to the options unless it's to toggle the aim. Most games make you select options like this when you first start them up. Seems like an oversight on borderlands 2 vr if they don't.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I wouldn't expect those to be turned off by default or toggles in the options, and if it didn't surface that information that's bad. The average player will play with all those features turned off.

Reviewers are human, people make mistakes, they've taken it down. Who cares

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
One would think that IGN would quintuple-check every single word of their reviews before they even thought about hitting the Publish button. They need to be running an extremely tight ship right now, as the Miucin scandal drove the cost for editorial carelessness sky-high.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
To be fair, I wouldn't expect those to be turned off by default or toggles in the options, and if it didn't surface that information that's bad. The average player will play with all those features turned off.

Reviewers are human, people make mistakes, they've taken it down. Who cares

Nope. I'm playing it now and at the start it walks through all the options and let's you know exactly where to change them as part of the tutorial. It's reall well done actually. No excuse for this review.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I never really go to the options unless it's to toggle the aim. Most games make you select options like this when you first start them up. Seems like an oversight on borderlands 2 vr if they don't.
VR games are different in that they need these comfort settings on as the default so that motion sensitive people like me don't puke when we play. The games usually tell you about the other less restrictive comfort modes they offer, this game included as evidenced in the thread earlier on.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the many reasons why I don't even follow IGN anymore or read their reviews.

They lost me with the "too much water" complaint.
1/4 of the Pokemon have a water type and 3/8 of the HMs are water moves and 1/2 of the routes are water and the entire late game is in water.

There's too much damn water.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Wowzers, Now I wouldn't blame anyone for not checking the options in a standard game (if they were just a customer playing it). But a VR game is mandatory since so many have comfort settings. A professional reviewer not bothering to check the options/settings on a review of a VR game is pretty inexcusable. complete incompetence.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to love subtitles to not loving them anymore, settings is one of the first things I go to also.

PSVR games have the option for Move or DS4. Pretty sure one of the very first things I would do is at least look at controller settings.

That goes for Wiimote, Move, VR.

Sorry, there's no way to defend this. Especially if the controls is one of the reasons for the score.

Nope. I'm playing it now and at the start it walks through all the options and let's you know exactly where to change them as part of the tutorial. It's reall well done actually. No excuse for this review.

Yeah, not a good look.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
original.jpg

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
as far as I'm concerned, ever game reviewer should be required to look through all the settings/options

I do that and I'm not even a reviewer

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I havent heard a single person say its unplayable though, you're the first out of maybe 70-80 impressions and reviews across psvr reddit, here, and site reviews.

Again, did you try the DS4 option?

EDIT: Never mind. I don't want to hear your opinion now. I thought your posts sounded oddly familiar to one of the reviews. The verbiage you used was too similar. Anyway, I searched your username and tagged PSVR, almost ALL your PSVR posts are super-inflammatory. You absolutely hate it RE7, Astrobot, all the classics.

Here's an example:

PSVR is utter garbage yet you "buy" games like Borderlines for it? Your BL2 complaints are straight lifted from reviews and mashed together with extra weighted negative spin for effect. That's what made me suspicious. From playing it at your cousin's house a couple weeks ago, calling it trash, now you own one??? AND you're buying games? lol. There are tons of hateful PSVR posts there, I just grabbed this one out of thin air.
Of course. I have a PSVR and a kid who occasionally plays it. We get the bigger releases, and I support the platform in the hopes that something will be fun and playable. So far it hasn't been even remotely worth what I paid for it.

My kid plays their 3DS more than the PSVR.

But calling my opinion worthless just because I didn't enjoy two other releases is a bit harsh. I would hardly call not liking something inflammatory either. I'm literally sharing my experience with the larger game releases on the system. I have the darn system and play the games, so just because I am not singing about how great VR is and how it is the future of gaming, doesn't make my posts inflammatory. Not everyone needs to love every game on the system.

I am not the only one complaining about it. People all over reddit are complaining about the severe downgrade in graphics, the 2D cutscenes, the super narrow HUD, the fact that the game is much easier, and yes, when you adjust settings the game drops performance. it is balanced to work with its default settings.
In defense of the game, it certainly is a cool feeling being in on Pandora in VR. I just feel like they should have put more effort into the conversion, or build a brand new, smaller Borderlands experience from the ground up with PSVR in mind. Playing to its strengths instead of this version which just struggles with its weaknesses.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Of course. I have a PSVR and a kid who occasionally plays it. We get the bigger releases. So yes I am not a massive fan of the platform but I still support it in the hopes that something will be playable. So far it hasn't been even remotely worth what I paid for it.

But calling my opinion worthless just because I didn't enjoy two other releases either is a bit harsh. I'm not being inflammatory either. I'm literally sharing my experience with the larger releases on the system.
That is some bad, bad taste in gaming. No one literally plays Astro Bot and slams both it and the system as garbage that needs to die unless they are trolling or have no concept of what makes a video game or entertainment product good.

It's also contradictory to say you support it yet want it to die.

The only one being harsh here is you, because you seem to have a pitchfork out for everyone VR related, which again makes no sense if you claim to be supporting it out of your desire for something playable. (which you should already know exists - as everyone else that has played Astro Bot realizes)

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Of course. I have a PSVR and a kid who occasionally plays it. We get the bigger releases. So yes I am not a massive fan of the platform but I still support it in the hopes that something will be playable. So far it hasn't been even remotely worth what I paid for it.

But calling my opinion worthless just because I didn't enjoy two other releases either is a bit harsh. I'm not being inflammatory either. I'm literally sharing my experience with the larger releases on the system.

Great. Unfortunately, I can't do anything to erase the posts you made. When you post about PSVR now people will remember, "oh, its that guy that called PSVR garbage and gimmicky."