• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I have a PSVR and a kid who occasionally plays it. We get the bigger releases, and I support the platform in the hopes that something will be fun and playable. So far it hasn't been even remotely worth what I paid for it.

My kid plays their 3DS more than the PSVR.

But calling my opinion worthless just because I didn't enjoy two other releases is a bit harsh. I would hardly call not liking something inflammatory either. I'm literally sharing my experience with the larger game releases on the system. I have the darn system and play the games, so just because I am not singing about how great VR is and how it is the future of gaming, doesn't make my posts inflammatory. Not everyone needs to love every game on the system.

I am not the only one complaining about it. People all over reddit are complaining about the severe downgrade in graphics, the 2D cutscenes, the super narrow HUD, the fact that the game is much easier, and yes, when you adjust settings the game drops performance. it is balanced to work with its default settings.
In defense of the game, it certainly is a cool feeling being in on Pandora in VR. I just feel like they should have put more effort into the conversion, or build a brand new, smaller Borderlands experience from the ground up with PSVR in mind. Playing to its strengths instead of this version which just struggles with its weaknesses.
The only person you are fooling with this shit is yourself. You claim to want to support the platform/VR yet all it takes is a minute to see you absolutely shit on the platform in every single one of your posts on this forum.

Maybe it's just not for you, which is fine, but claim to be some kind of supporter when all you do is call it garbage, a gimmick, lame, waste of money etc.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Great. Unfortunately, I can't do anything to erase the posts you made. When you post about PSVR now people will remember, "oh, its that guy that called PSVR garbage and gimmicky."
Why would you want to erase my posts? I stand by my opinion that VR as a whole is a gimmick. Being a gimmick isn't inherently bad, my 3DS is a gimmick and I quite enjoy it. the Wii motion controls was a gimmick and lots of folk loved it.

PSVR is by far the worst VR I have played, but I keep hoping it is just a matter of time before devs actually figure it out and suddenly we will get some fun games.

And please, look at this video and tell me the constantly vibrating gun and hud isn't janky AF, and while using DS4 the performance doesn't take a hit. It is a bit of a mess.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I am not the only one complaining about it. People all over reddit are complaining about the severe downgrade in graphics, the 2D cutscenes, the super narrow HUD, the fact that the game is much easier, and yes, when you adjust settings the game drops performance. it is balanced to work with its default settings.
In defense of the game, it certainly is a cool feeling being in on Pandora in VR. I just feel like they should have put more effort into the conversion, or build a brand new, smaller Borderlands experience from the ground up with PSVR in mind. Playing to its strengths instead of this version which just struggles with its weaknesses.

Where? I'm constantly on PSVR reddit and I've read almost every thread about the game. It's overwhelmingly positive. Sure, people are asking 2K for patches. It's the same with every VR release. We get a decent port, then it gets better over time.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Not defending the reviewer, editor, IGN, etc. Howecer, the game probably should have made the options more clear. More VR games should look at how Skyrim VR handled multiple control options and making it clear to the player

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Why would you want to erase my posts? I stand by my opinion that VR as a whole is a gimmick. Being a gimmick isn't inherently bad, my 3DS is a gimmick and I quite enjoy it. the Wii motion controls was a gimmick and lots of folk loved it.

PSVR is by far the worst VR I have played, but I keep hoping it is just a matter of time before devs actually figure it out and suddenly we will get some fun games.

And please, look at this video and tell me the constantly vibrating gun and hud isn't janky AF, and while using DS4 the performance doesn't take a hit. It is a bit of a mess.

No, go ahead and stand by your opinion, that's exactly what I want. But when I see another opinion by you, myself and others will remember you as the guy that hates PSVR. Simply as that. I'm not alone in thinking that its hilarious that you're forced into this narrative of trying to support a garbage platform in the hopes it.... gets better.

Posting a video about VR and trying to convey what is seen in the headset doesn't work. I have vids of Skyrim doing the same thing on the social screen and its not like that in the headset.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Not defending the reviewer, editor, IGN, etc. Howecer, the game probably should have made the options more clear. More VR games should look at how Skyrim VR handled multiple control options and making it clear to the player
The kicker is that the game does make the options clear at the beginning of the game. Multiple people playing the game have confirmed it in this thread.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please not derail this thread with immaturity over a users opinion. They don't like VR, they didn't like Borderlands VR, they posted their opinion in the thread. Deal.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The kicker is that the game does make the options clear at the beginning of the game. Multiple people playing the game have confirmed it in this thread.
I agree that the game (and all VR games that have options) should force the user into selecting their control scheme before the start.

However, a reviewer should have looked as it's their job to know the main ins and outs of the game they are reviewing.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the game made it clear, but for VR versions of an older game, it's always nice to go the extra mile and give you an opening level that wasn't in the original game that lets you mess with settings.

For any VR game that'd be ideal imo

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like an honest mistake that someone who doesn't play VR games very often would make.

Though you'd figure as a reviewer they would do their best to familiarize themselves with the game a bit by checking settings even if you don't intend on changing them.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm sure the game made it clear, but for VR versions of an older game, it's always nice to go the extra mile and give you an opening level that wasn't in the original game that lets you mess with settings.

For any VR game that'd be ideal imo

But this game does a better job of handling different controls than Skyrim. So your initial post praising Skyrim over Borderlands makes no sense. I Borderlands you can even switch DS4 and Move controls on the fly. The locomotion control is a 1:1 copy of Skyrim and it even has more comfort options.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
IGN has really been dropping the ball. That is beyond ridiculous. If you are going to review a title, then you damn sure better know what features the game has or doesn't have before you speak on it. Cause the gaming community, if not the publisher/developer, are gonna call your ass out.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Sounds like an honest mistake that someone who doesn't play VR games very often would make.

Though you'd figure as a reviewer they would do their best to familiarize themselves with the game a bit by checking settings even if you don't intend on changing them.
To be honest, someone new to VR shouldn't be reviewing in the first place. We have established VR reviewers now at IGN, and only they should be doing the job - until someone new comes in that does have the experience.

The integrity of a VR review from someone new to VR is just not there, because that reviewer wouldn't know what makes a VR game good.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As someone else has already pointed out, you are told in game by one of the characters that there are extra/different movement settings in the menu. You don't even have to go digging to find out that you have the option to do so, you are told in game that you can.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
But this game does a better job of handling different controls than Skyrim. So your initial post praising Skyrim over Borderlands makes no sense. I Borderlands you can even switch DS4 and Move controls on the fly. The locomotion control is a 1:1 copy of Skyrim and it even has more comfort options.
That so? I'll check out videos later. My bad.

I never played Borderlands 2, so I'm excited to get this one day. When it's on sale though.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

Mate just stop, It's not 2016 anymore and people aren't fooled by VR vids anymore as everyone knows by now that's how it looks in a video but not what you feel actually inside the game. Couldn't imagine gaming now without VR, It's the only exciting tech around, You're gonna be extra salty next gen when we actually have the horsepower and better controls.

Skyrim
RE7
Wipeout
Horus Station
Star Trek
Borderlands 2

All a much better gaming experience in VR than there flat TV counterparts. And wer'e only at first gen stage...... Final form will be mindblowing.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, someone new to VR shouldn't be reviewing in the first place. We have established VR reviewers now at IGN, and only they should be doing the job - until someone new comes in that does have the experience.

The integrity of a VR review from someone new to VR is just not there, because that reviewer wouldn't know what makes a VR game good.
Or at least have a established VR reviewer helping out, explaining common misunderstandings someone new to VR might have, keeping in contact with how they're progressing in the game.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
VR games dont get many reviews on time or enough attention that one of this reasons this make this more annoying

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Yep Borderlands has tons of control and comfort options for VR, it covers pretty much everything needed for most people.

Anyone who has played it would clearly know this, except the IGN reviewer apparently and people trying to shit on VR.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Mate just stop, It's not 2016 anymore and people aren't fooled by VR vids anymore as everyone knows by now that's how it looks in a video but not what you feel actually inside the game. Couldn't imagine gaming now without VR, It's the only exciting tech around, You're gonna be extra salty next gen when we actually have the horsepower and better controls.

Skyrim
RE7
Wipeout
Horus Station
Star Trek
Borderlands 2

All a much better gaming experience in VR than there flat TV counterparts. And wer'e only at first gen stage...... Final form will be mindblowing.
You think that borderlands 2 VR is better , even though it is missing 60% of the game, and has no multiplayer, and downgraded graphics? Wow. This is how I know I am talking to a diehard fan. There is no convincing folks like you of anything.

One thing I DO agree with you though, is that next gen the experience should be better than it is now.
But when I see another opinion by you, myself and others will remember you as the guy that hates PSVR. Simply as that. I'm not alone in thinking that its hilarious that you're forced into this narrative of trying to support a garbage platform in the hopes it.... gets better.
Sorry I hurt the feelings of you and your fellow fanatics, remember me as a fellow PSVR owner who doesn't think "its the future of gaming". Sorry I just can't.

Also I am not forced into a narrative. I have a kid, they wanted it, I buy the occasional game in the vague hopes that devs have figured out how to use the platform, which obviously, they still havent.

Hopefully they can patch Borderlands 2 VR to actually function, and maybe, if we are lucky, they'll include the other half of the game in a future update. I seriously doubt it but you never know.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember when IGN posted there review of Tales of Zesteria and complained about it not having an option to save outside of save points.

Except you could hit start and quick save literally anywhere outside of a cutscene or battle.

I posted a question asking if the guy never hit start the entire game and a week later the line was missing from the review lol
Between this and the current issue at hand, i'm reminded of another ign review:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/10/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review

They made a entire review based on the fact that they couldn't sprint, but in fact they could, they simply didn't realize how. Intead of re-reviewing, they simply called out the dev for having the option been so "unintuitive" and leave the rest of the review intact.

I mean, when publisher give games away for reviewers, don't they always say "let me know if you find any problem"? Does reviews never contact publishers when they find such glaring omission or problems that can compromise the entire game?

Back to ign, they really have to enforce better guidelines for reviewers. Not the first time that this happens, and even back then on the filip munichin shenanigans, brian said something about not checking background because they think they are giving those new people a life time oppotunity that in no way they would throw away.

Its always fundamental to make sure that new hires are in the same page with the company, or else these things will keep happening.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You think that borderlands 2 VR is better , even though it is missing 60% of the game, and has no multiplayer, and downgraded graphics? Wow. This is how I know I am talking to a diehard fan. There is no convincing folks like you of anything.

One thing I DO agree with you though, is that next gen the experience should be better than it is now.

Sorry I hurt the feelings of you and your fellow fanatics, remember me as a fellow PSVR owner who doesn't think "its the future of gaming". Sorry I just can't.

Also I am not forced into a narrative. I have a kid, they wanted it, I buy the occasional game in the vague hopes that devs have figured out how to use the platform, which obviously, they still havent.

Hopefully they can patch Borderlands 2 VR to actually function, and maybe, if we are lucky, they'll include the other half of the game in a future update. I seriously doubt it but you never know.
They have. You're the only one who thinks this. Literally everyone else says the opposite.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow. Everything about your post is extremely offputting. Also LOL at trying to make other people feel like they're the unusual/strange opinion when you're the one who is clearly in the minority. Gross.

P.S. I hope your kids don't read this forum because you are teaching them embarrassing behavior.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

No ones feelings are hurt lol. If anything, things makes alot more sense now, with or without damage control.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I cant remember the last time I watched/read an IGN review. Never liked them. Gamespot/Easyallies/Gamestar/Game Informer have been my trusted sites for years.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I cant remember the last time I watched/read an IGN review. Never liked them. Gamespot/Easyallies/Gamestar/Game Informer have been my trusted sites for years.
Ehh, I have problems with each of those regarding VR. Gamespot wrote their 2018 VR Report Card and barely wrote much about the major games and occurrences of the year. Some of Game Informer's staff make jokes like "VR is still a thing?" and "Oh, we need to talk about VR now? Can't we just skip it?" and then they finally cover a few good VR games, the first of which this year was Beat Saber, but all the while pretending that nothing else good released in recent memory.

Easy Allies are pretty great though.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

You can't just blindly make assumptions like that as many freelancers (including the one who wrote this review) write for multiple outlets.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Wow. Everything about your post is extremely offputting. Also LOL at trying to make other people feel like they're the unusual/strange opinion when you're the one who is clearly in the minority. Gross.

P.S. I hope your kids don't read this forum because you are teaching them embarrassing behavior.
Actually I'll wear that being Inna minority in a thread with die hard fans who refuse to see the flaws in their favourite thing. Don't worry I get it, I'm the same way with Mega Man. I just can't see any flaws no matter how glaring folks say they are.

Calling someone gross for not sharing in your fanboyism though, that is just childish. Since it's just me Vs a bunch of fanboys at this point, and no constructive discussion is happening. I'll bow out and leave you to your criticism-proof game and system. Lol. Good luck with that, and good luck attacking anyone with a differing opinion. That'll get you far in life.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people pay attention to these big name gaming sites when I find much better more detailed reviews on YouTube.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

One way of spinning things I guess, Not sure where you get the die-hard aspect from, But I digress....... And stand by the statement that when there's VR/Flat TV options to play the game, VR is by far the better experience.

In other news, IGN have had a shocker this year..... I treat them like gaming magazines, Just not needed anymore for info/reviews on a game. Archaic if anything.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Mistakes happen. Dog pilling on an overworked reviewer is the worst of gamer culture.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Man... VR is already underrepresented, and when it does, it gets shit on like this by people who have no idea what they're doing.

Your participation in this thread is even more rediculous, you're defending a reviewer for not doing his job properly.
It's unreal isn't it? This dude keeps coming into these threads and making a pig's ear. It's not even like I care about them showing up, it's the sheer obtuseness of the arguments. It's the holding of ground and moving of goalposts that's even worse. You can valuably participate... this is not it.

Ehh, I have problems with each of those regarding VR. Gamespot wrote their 2018 VR Report Card and barely wrote much about the major games and occurrences of the year. Some of Game Informer's staff make jokes like "VR is still a thing?" and "Oh, we need to talk about VR now? Can't we just skip it?" and then they finally cover a few good VR games, the first of which this year was Beat Saber, but all the while pretending that nothing else good released in recent memory.

Easy Allies are pretty great though.
It's a shame. You'd think that a growing medium offering truly fresh experiences would be, but it's just not that well respected.

Last edited:

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
One way of spinning things I guess, Not sure where you get the die-hard aspect from, But I digress....... And stand by the statement that when there's VR/Flat TV options to play the game, VR is by far the better experience.

In other news, IGN have had a shocker this year..... I treat them like gaming magazines, Just not needed anymore for info/reviews on a game. Archaic if anything.
I guess for me, I just don't actually want that kind of immersion from my video games. And I think there will always be that divide. Those that want full immersion, and those that want a "game" experience.

So subjectively, we desire different experiences on a fundamental level. And I'm happy to accept that difference in preference.

And yes, what a terrible year poor IGN has had. Yikes!

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mistakes happen and not the end of the world. I'll admit, when things don't work well for me in a game, I always check the settings and options to see if I can make the experience better. The reviewer not even trying that is odd to say the least.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
How you do a review and not even check the options.

This.

This kind of brings back the whole 'should a reviewer be good at / interested in the genre of game they're reviewing' discussion, with one caveat; it's just the fuckin' options, which leads me to believe this dude hasn't / doesn't play many games.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the current issue at hand, i'm reminded of another ign review:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/10/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review

They made a entire review based on the fact that they couldn't sprint, but in fact they could, they simply didn't realize how. Intead of re-reviewing, they simply called out the dev for having the option been so "unintuitive" and leave the rest of the review intact.

I mean, when publisher give games away for reviewers, don't they always say "let me know if you find any problem"? Does reviews never contact publishers when they find such glaring omission or problems that can compromise the entire game?

Back to ign, they really have to enforce better guidelines for reviewers. Not the first time that this happens, and even back then on the filip munichin shenanigans, brian said something about not checking background because they think they are giving those new people a life time oppotunity that in no way they would throw away.

Its always fundamental to make sure that new hires are in the same page with the company, or else these things will keep happening.
In Raptures case I don't think they ever tell you how to do it. I remember a ton of people on twitter being surprised that was an option and there might have even been a gaf thread about it too? iirc your speed slowly ramps up too instead of being a full sprint immediately so I can't really blame reviewers in that case

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Of course. I have a PSVR and a kid who occasionally plays it. We get the bigger releases, and I support the platform in the hopes that something will be fun and playable. So far it hasn't been even remotely worth what I paid for it.

My kid plays their 3DS more than the PSVR.

But calling my opinion worthless just because I didn't enjoy two other releases is a bit harsh. I would hardly call not liking something inflammatory either. I'm literally sharing my experience with the larger game releases on the system. I have the darn system and play the games, so just because I am not singing about how great VR is and how it is the future of gaming, doesn't make my posts inflammatory. Not everyone needs to love every game on the system.

Sell your headset imo, because all you're using it for right now is to try and legitimize your hyperbolic criticisms.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's unreal isn't it? This dude keeps coming into these threads and making a pig's ear. It's not even like I care about them showing up, it's the sheer obtuseness of the arguments. It's the holding of ground and moving of goalposts that's even worse. You can valuably participate... this is not it.

The negative obsession is completely pathetic.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I guess for me, I just don't actually want that kind of immersion from my video games. And I think there will always be that divide. Those that want full immersion, and those that want a "game" experience.

So subjectively, we desire different experiences on a fundamental level. And I'm happy to accept that difference in preference.

And yes, what a terrible year poor IGN has had. Yikes!

You dont want immersion but you say you are a vr enthusiast looking forward to better tech? The whole point of vr is immersion, the feeling of being present in an alternate reality.

So people scratch their heads and wonder why someone who has no interest in a thing because it is not to his taste is so interested in shitting on that thing. The answers I come up with is either you are painfully un-selfaware, or you have ulterior motives, am I missing any other alternatives?

Reguardless, I am sure that since vr is only on one console, there will be lots of folks saying how bad it it is just like with any other exclusive. Why? I guess they think gaming is zero sum and they want to help their team by fair means or foul; instead of being part of a community and wanting their brethren/sistren to have as good a life as they can. It makes me a little ill to be honest, lying for the love of a corporation.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Actually I'll wear that being Inna minority in a thread with die hard fans who refuse to see the flaws in their favourite thing. Don't worry I get it, I'm the same way with Mega Man. I just can't see any flaws no matter how glaring folks say they are.

Calling someone gross for not sharing in your fanboyism though, that is just childish. Since it's just me Vs a bunch of fanboys at this point, and no constructive discussion is happening. I'll bow out and leave you to your criticism-proof game and system. Lol. Good luck with that, and good luck attacking anyone with a differing opinion. That'll get you far in life.
There's a difference between having an opinion and having a bashful opinion. Your comments never were constructive in the first place because you never pointed out flaws, and just immediately went straight to words like "garbage" which is pretty immature.