• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
After playing through the first two chapters of Darksiders Genesis

, my biggest takeaway is how decidedly unlike Diablo it actually is, despite how Diablo-y it looks. There's no gear, there are no level-ups, no skill trees, there's a much more elaborate melee combat system with strong and weak attacks, and really, rather than reminding me of Diablo, it reminded me of the very first Darksiders game, just with a different perspective and a second playable character.

Of course, part of that likely has to do with the fact that in Darksiders Genesis, you can either choose to play as the protagonist of Darksiders 1, War, or his brother, the gun-wielding Strife, who finally makes his playable debut in a Darksiders game. There's a great split in the abilities and playstyles of the two characters, with War playing almost exactly like his Darksiders 1 counterpart, right down to having mostly the same moves and tools at his disposal. War can deal big melee damage by juggling opponents with air combos, utilize a crowd-clearing AoE special move, and unlike Strife, he can block enemy attacks as well.

Looks amazing.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Combat reminds me of The Red Star. Isometric but also have traditional 3d combat systems like air juggles and combos. War's attack remind so much of that bruiser dude that was in that game too move wise.

huggyhomer

Dec 14, 2018
I didn't realize there are no skill trees, gear, or leveling. My interest has gone down considerably, but I will probably still get the game when it gets discounted later on.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
No skill trees and levelling is odd for a Darksiders game regardless of the Diablo comparisons.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
No gear, skills or levling? My interest dropped like a rock. I was hoping this would be a hugely replayable loot game :(

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
No skill trees or leveling? Now I'm actually interested.

Its actually refreshing to see a game that isn't about levels and stats to "work" towards, and if I needed those hooks there's literally every other game on the market chasing those same dragons. If the game is fun on its own moment-to-moment merits and provides variety, it'll have replayability.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody actually read the article? There's still a character progression system in place in the form of cores that sounds like building out a sphere grid in FFX. There's also light/heavy attacks, and blocking. The article emphasizes that it's more like Darksiders as an isometric game rather than a pure Diablo clone. It sounds much better to me than a bunch of loot. There's no shortage of Diablo-style ARPGs or loot games, especially on PC (where I'll be playing).

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So this game looks actually kind of fun?

A lot more interesting than Darksiders 3 abandoning it's classic hack-n-slash approach to be yet another From Soft clone.

Mitch from IGN had some good stuff to say about it and he's really into fighting and action games, seems like he has a good grasp on these things.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I shouldn't say much, but this game is much more than I thought it could be. My GOTY list has been ruined.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I wonder where they go for Darksiders 4... do they make it play like Vanquish, or Gears, or a third person Doom?
Strife doesn't have any powers beyond shooting, right?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where they go for Darksiders 4... do they make it play like Vanquish, or Gears, or a third person Doom?
Strife doesn't have any powers beyond shooting, right?

I think the horsemen are basically all DMC Dante in that they can do lots of stuff like teleport and double jump, have superhuman strength and agility etc

Guns are basically just his main weapon of choice.

So this game looks actually kind of fun?

A lot more interesting than Darksiders 3 abandoning it's classic hack-n-slash approach to be yet another From Soft clone.

Mitch from IGN had some good stuff to say about it and he's really into fighting and action games, seems like he has a good grasp on these things.

It always seemed solid really. Also, honestly Darksiders 3 was a better Souls-like than Jedi: Fallen Order.

Last edited:

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
So as I alluded to earlier I can't say much due to embargo.
What I can say is if anybody in here remembers how much fun Tomb Raider and the Guardian of Light was.

This is like that, with a much bigger scale, and it fully embraces the Darksiders universe.
From tight gameplay design, soundtrack choices, and references to the other games.
So far it has blown my expectations away. Also it has fantastic local split screen AND online co-op.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I think the horseman are basically all DMC Dante in that they can do lots of stuff like teleport and double jump, have superhuman strength and agility etc

Guns are basically just his main weapon of choice.

It always seemed solid really. Also, honestly Darksiders 3 was a better Souls-like than Jedi: Fallen Order.

I have Darksiders 3 on PS Plus. Not sure if I should use classic or default combat.