• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Except Jyn does nothing throughout the movie and her most "heroic" moment was at the very end when she confronts Krennic and Krennic literally has no idea who she is.

Jyn is written in a similar fashion to most Ken Follett historical fiction protagonists. They aren't the catalysts of the story per se but they participate in major historical events and show interpersonal growth. Jyn went from feeling bitter and abandoned to someone who had hope. FWIW, Jyn has her heroic moment when she transmitted the data off the base forever changing the fate of the universe.

OP
OP
El sueño

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
Jyn is written in a similar fashion to most Ken Follett historical fiction protagonists. They aren't the catalysts of the story per se but they participate in major historical events and show interpersonal growth. Jyn went from feeling bitter and abandoned to someone who had hope. FWIW, Jyn has her heroic moment when she transmitted the data off the base forever changing the fate of the universe.
Awesome.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
All of the Disney Star Wars films have been solid 4-star movies. Rogue One is a good choice, though I would agree TLJ has higher highs.

Oct 29, 2017
While I think it had problems it's still the best new Start Wars movie to me (which is kind of depressing, but whatever they're just fucking movies).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pYYgWp6.png

Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue with that arc is that she is already bitter and hardened when we see her so the transition doesn't feel like much.

At least with Rey we are given an introduction to what her daily life is like and we also see her make decisions that reflect her personality. Her life is hard but she still manages to stay positive and holds out hope for her parents. She's self sufficient and capable of looking after herself. She makes decisions that reflect the kind of character she has.. rejecting a years supply of portions despite how hard it is to put food on the table all because she sees a kindred spirit in BB8 and identifies with his desire to be reunited with his family. She helps Finn when the FO is after him and BB8. And then we see her vulnerabilities and fears when she gets the force vision and runs away. She's got flaws and internal conflict. She's a well rounded character. Jyn's only motivation is to complete her fathers dying wish. Rogue One doesnt show us how Jyn became disillusioned with the rebellion. I think that was a mistake

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than the prequels, but it's so dramatically inept (the characters are mere sketches at best, and, at worst (in the case of the main character) entirely inconsistent. It's beautifully shot though, with a great sense of scale. But there's no mythic grandeur, sense of adventure, and it feels a bit gutless and lacks the grit that it was striving for with its "men on a mission" coat of paint. It's definitely better than Solo as far as the modern Star Wars is concerned, but doesn't come close to either of the main entries.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Every Star Wars movie that has came out in the last 4 years is better than anything the Prequels offered.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I can't really say I care for Rogue One at all. It's great spectacle, and the first act was pretty reasonably executed, but everything after that rather unremarkable, in part fueled by the uninteresting characters driving the drama. Even the most famous scene in the film, the Vader hallwa scene, served practically no narrative or thematic purpose. This is movie where you can really feel the effects of the reshoots.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy. Which movie has Director Krennic in it, and which movies don't?

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
Shocking. ERA is not representative of other places as a whole. Either way I liked the movie but I'm easy to please. Anecdotally everyone I know enjoyed it.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
RO was my least favorite of the new ones. Solo was way better as a side movie imo.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
When it came out I only kinda liked it but it has grown a lot on me. It is the only Star Wars movie since the original trilogy that really feels like Star Wars for me.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
Right, there's nothing wrong with a framing device protag who has a personal journey amidst the overall plot. My problem with Jyn as a character comes from she is given catalyst importance from beginning to end while not being very interesting or very effective.

You got the feeling she went from bitter to hope but I always got the impression from the beginning she was just fatalistic and by the end she still feels fatalistic. She was running from the Empire precisely because she knew fighting them she would die and she wanted to live. Then by the 3rd act we see Jyn is going to fight the Empire but she still knows fighting them she will die. That could be construed as character growth except we never see the impetus for that change. The biggest event she has before her decision to fight back was Galen dying and Cassian yelling at her but we're never shown that Jyn has a moment to think on those and reach any sort of conclusion. She is just at the next scene ready to fight. I wouldn't mind that she wants to fight too but somehow this makes her the leader too?

So she's changed to want to fight, despite a likely death following, but despite being relatively unimportantance in the over Rebel Alliance, a giant squad of Commandos decide to follow her to their deaths too. Even more perplexing is that Chirrut and Baze, who met her maybe only hours to a day before, follow too on this quest that will likely lead to their deaths. Cassian as well seems to give up leadership to her too despite being shown as an experienced infiltrator and spy. Bodhi I can understand because he's Galen Erso's biggest fan but everyone else has little reason to follow her or better to even have her come along. Of course she's the leader though because she's the main protagonist but then she does very little heroic until the end of the movie.

So we get to the end. The big confrontation we've been waiting for. They've set up who Director Krennic is, the man who kidnapped Galen and ruined Jyn's life. They've set up who Jyn is, the woman who lost her father to the Death Star and Director Krennic twice (though the Rebel Alliance is who actually killed him). She's finally meets him to get vengeance and he says "...who are you?" and she responds "You know!" and he still fails to figure it out. And hoenstly this confrontation is symbolic of all the problems Jyn has in this movie. Who is she and what has she done that Krennic would care about her up until now? Until a little bit before not only was Krennic unaware of who she was but practically unaware of anything she had done in the movie. It's this moment that deflates the movie for me no matter how interesting the battle is, because it signifies how beyond the battle there wasn't anything else to the movie. The clash between characters ultimately ended being and meaning nothing because Krennic at this point had no reason to even care about Jyn. And further, it's not her who defeats him, this man who upended her life and ruined it forever, it's Cassian who even gets to hurt him while Jyn does her data transmission.

Overall Jyn's purpose in the story should have been a participate whose importance was being their for the grand pivotal moment in history and whose little contribution and personal journey adds up to a lot, I've enjoyed those stories in the past. But she's never presented that way with having so much of the story revolve around her. She's alot of the reasons things happen in the plot and drives it, but for the majority of it besides the beginning we see so little about her or her motivations. Because of that she's not really a character to me and whatever little they give her isn't interesting. She becomes less of a character in the story and more a vehicle that plot uses to drive it to the next planet.

Inside Jyn's Brain: "Bitch, literally a couple hours ago you tried to kill that same father"

It's pretty easy. Which movie has Director Krennic in it, and which movies don't?
Alright, no lie, for as much as I don't like Rogue One I love Director Krennic and every scene he's in.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Rogue One is definitely the best. It's actually my favourite Star Wars movie. I am probably going to get a lot of hate for saying this but I think it's better than The Empire Strikes Back. I also liked the Force Awakens because it felt like a modern remake of A New Hope.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's absurdly polarizing.

I have friends who despise it and others who adore it.

I don't get why either way. I thought it was fun but TFA is still the best one for me.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Rogue one is a soulless mess. The look of it is great, like truly classic star wars come to life in a modern age... I can only assume that's how people get tricked into thinking its a good movie.