• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Once they fire him they should offer his job to the dude at boomstick gaming.
They should but they won't. Hopefully they find someone much better though. Too many people at the bigger sites got their jobs from being at the right place at the right time or knowing the right person, not because of their skills. Give the job to someone who isn't gonna fuck up on such a rookie mistake.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Is IGN liable to Dead Cells' creator? All of this bad buzz over plagiarism, kind of dampens the game.

He plagiarized a positive, glowing review. It has no negative effect on the game in any way. The bad buzz is about IGN as a publication not being able to catch this guy ripping off someone elses review. This incident is actually probably a net positive for the developers because theres bit of controversy keeping the game visible longer in the news media cycle. The only thing thats going to happen is people are now watching and comparing 2 reviews of a game that reviewed great.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Read about this. I think it's gross plagiarism like this happens so often in general in cast amounts of fields. If it is confirmed by IGN, I hope the people in charge take appropriate action. Lazy and disgusting on the reviewers part of the claims are accurate.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry if this was discussed already but did Filip have to submit this review for..review? I see the Sr. Editor was out.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Is it possible dude just found the game really difficult to play? I keep reading it is a challenging game but since I have not played it I am wondering is it that challenging to play?

What I am imagining may have happened is dude had to review a game he just was not very good at, freaked out about it and instead of just admitting he was having an issue actually playing it, he decided to take the now infamous route he took.

Just trying to put myself in his shoes and figure out why one would possibly take the route he did. Realize I am not defending his actions, just merely trying to get to the thought process as to why he actually may have did what he did.
Well apparently he streamed himself playing or something and was very competent at it. I don't know for sure, I just saw someone post here about it.
Got the posts:
Well here's him streaming the game for 2 hours, so he's definitely played it

They even pulled his stream from last night, dude is super fired.

I'm quite confident he played it. IGN did a live stream of the game yesterday and I believe Filip was the one playing, and he definitely looked like he knew what he was doing.

He clearly plagiarized the review, but I don't think we need to jump to conclusions that he doesn't even want to play games either. lol

Dude probably had a rough weekend and thought this was the easiest way to meet his deadline while sounding good. It was a well worded review.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies confirming he probably had no issue playing it. Like I said, was just trying to think of some sort of "logical" reason dude would have possibly killed his career as it looks like he has in fact done, and that was about all I could think of.

Of course I also thought of a number of other reasons that really makes this a truly bone headed decision (lazy, dumb, dumb, lazy), but I would like to think especially since I believe I read this was his first video review he did on his own, that perhaps something else like it being too hard to play was behind the decision. However it does seem like he was just a classic dumbass though.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I got around to watching the video and it's pretty blatant. I can't see how he can keep his job after that.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the Jim Sterling video and man oh man... what a bad video.
He is describing the whole situation like IGN, as like the entity are just lazy and don't know or don't care what they are doing
and it's all their fault and not the one of some idividual

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
the fact that he thought he could get away with this is even more suprising to me than the actual plagiarism.

like, he didnt even properly paraphrased it.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
He is describing the whole situation like IGN, as like the entity are just lazy and don't know or don't care what they are doing

Jim is the master of quick, but not well-thought-out, hot takes. Nothing surprising here, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
They don't review every game released throughout the year. The pool isn't that big to begin with, not to say that an editor is expected to comb the web but IGN isn't working that damn hard.
What are you even saying? That IGN staff should watch every single review posted for every single game prior to posting the site review? Absurd.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the idea that he potentially had the script for the review done by somebody else under the table.
I believe that this is probably it. It's a logical explanation as to why the plagiarism is so blatant. It's hard to believe that the reviewer didn't think he would get caught so if he paid someone else to do it, it's very likely that the person who wrote the review didn't really care.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's so weird about this is that the plagiarised material is so bland, you could write that without even having played the game. It's just a boilerplate description of the game, why steal that shit? Steal some actual fucking opinions man.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing out of this, it's that Dead Cells is getting a lot of free advertising.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'd like to think there are a few almost dogmatic rules journalists are taught to never violate, and to me - plagiarism seems to be one of those rules.

Making grammatical errors. Okay whatever.
Making factual errors. Eh, that's excusable.
Poorly written articles. It happens.
Missing deadlines. That too, also happens.
Plagiarism on the other hand? That's not an accident. He watched the youtubers video, internalized it, rewatched it, pulled out a word document and started copying it. Something so planned out can't be dismissed as simply a 'mistake.' There had to have been countless of instances where he thought to himself "I shouldn't do this" - yet continued to do so anyway.

You know, I agree with all the points you made. For a person to be in that position and then copy is inexcusable. Although I read an interesting theory that he paid someone for the review who amateurishly reworded the original.

After all is said in done this guy (wrong that he done) is probably going through hell at the moment. With the whole internet going at him hard I really do hope he is able to handle the pressure and walk away from it all.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this was discussed already but did Filip have to submit this review for..review? I see the Sr. Editor was out.
He did say he was editing his first video for IGN in a tweet. Maybe he was the final authority on it and no one above needed to review it? I'm not sure how the process normally works for large publications.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What are you even saying? That IGN staff should watch every single review posted for every single game prior to posting the site review? Absurd.

Eh to be fair what is IGN supposed to do? Scour the entirety of the internet for every word they publish?

That's not reasonable obviously. However, aren't there plagiarism tools or software out there that can comb through the internet and detect potential violations?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
There is no if he gets let go, there's only when, once they're able to prove with no room for doubt he plagiarized. The rest is just their own recovery and how they'll address this. It's about 2:30 pm over there so we might see something by the end of the work day.

Plagiarism violates the number one rule of just about any job - do not damage the brand.

It's not just a fireable offense - it's a "head on a pike" offense.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Eh to be fair what is IGN supposed to do? Scour the entirety of the internet for every word they publish?

There really wasn't anything they could do outside of checking every piece of media that is produced and published on their site. Sure you can check text to an extent with some tools to automate the process a bit but video? How the fuck do you even check video reviews at all? The guy who wrote the original clearly recognized his work but basically no one else would have caught that without seeing the original first.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
the fact that he thought he could get away with this is even more suprising to me than the actual plagiarism.

Yeah... it's extremely odd.

So odd it maskes the suggestions that he could have ran into a deadline crunch and duped himself into paying for a plagiarized copy seem more likely / more forgiveable.

Knowingly trying to pass this off as original content in the context of this industry / game with the assumption it will go unnoticed is insane.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's not reasonable obviously. However, aren't there plagiarism tools or software out there that can comb through the internet and detect potential violations?
Most of these work with text based formats. Doubt there is much out there that can check video content, especially the myriad content on social media.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Jim Sterling. Useless, pointless bile with constant factual innacuracies is like all he does. He only cares about fanning flames.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if it's text that is very similar to their text. What you are suggesting is so patently ridiculous I don't even know where to begin telling you how untenable it is.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, honestly Boomstick's video was a hell of a lot fairer than Sterling's, and considering Jim Sterling basically played the original video while providing shitty commentary there's no real reason to watch it.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Most of these work with text based formats. Doubt there is much out there that can check video content, especially the myriad content on social media.

What about the tools YT uses to comb through its own videos for copyright violations or specific content that violates the TOS? Not saying they can check every social media site, but if there's one to start on it would be YT.

Omerta

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Unlimite responsibility is with Filip, I've seen the video and I'd be amazed and frankly, impressed if he had an explanation that sees him back out of this.

I'm not insinuating that IGN own any of the blame here but this kind of thing is what happens when you hire someone into a role that they're not qualified for. They must look at their recruitment process and reflect honestly upon themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
What about the tools YT uses to comb through its own videos for copyright violations or specific content that violates the TOS? Not saying they can check every social media site, but if there's one to start on it would be YT.
Content ID utilizes existing samples, IE a song, to detect non-audible digital signatures that are then cross-referenced with the audio in uploaded videos. It is a far cry from detecting similarly worded sentences in video reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Skimmed it also. That's the guy that gets his own thread each time he makes a new video? That's the take his fans begged for?

Status
Not open for further replies.