• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omerta

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Totally unsurprising that Filip has been fires but I'm still amazed that he did this... it shows an incredible lack of awareness and maturity.

I've seen most of his content since he was hired at IGN and he doesn't come across as somebody morally-questionable (although wtf knows) so my guess is that he lacked the intelligence to realise how much of a faux pas plagiarism is?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Filip came on board I decided I no longer had any real connection to the site and just stopped listening/reading anything coming from IGN. I guess, it was a good time to abandon ship. Crazy times.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of answer are you expecting for this. Him being chosen for this review isn't even strange.
Is it not? Just doesn't seem like the kind of game the head Nintendo editor would review. There's only two possible answers to expect really. The first is that actually it is in line with the kind of reviews he has done in the past or it isn't but there's nothing currently to explain why he was chosen and it is indeed strange.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Regarding the mod edit in the OP, is it considered "petty reasons" when something like this happens and people blast IGN as a whole for it? Legitimate question, I'd like to know what the stance is on petty versus completely valid and reasonable.
I feel you are focusing on the wrong section:
The same goes for people who are covering the video games industry: vilifying an entire media outlet for any reason is typically unhelpful. It is crucial to understand that these people share a similar high passion for this hobby as you do and try their best to do their jobs.

The point is not to vilify the entirety of IGN for what was presumably the actions of a single individual, an action that IGN actually took to investigating straight away.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Not with a Smash Direct coming up, no one died. They'll open with an apology and then they'll have an awkward show amongst the exciting news that Goku was confirmed for Smash.

It's crazy. Just a couple weeks ago they opened Beyond with an awkward moment of announcing that Marty has left IGN under dubious circumstances. Now this.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not? Just doesn't seem like the kind of game the head Nintendo editor would review. There's only two possible answers to expect really. The first is that actually it is in line with the kind of reviews he has done in the past or it isn't but there's nothing currently to explain why he was chosen and it is indeed strange.
It's a very popular highly rated indie game that is getting a Switch release, it's not really a surprise they would put the Nintendo dude on it.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sucks for everyone involved, but I think they can do better anyways. He was kind of a bore on NVC. IGN should politely ask Nintendo to stop taking all their talent.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Best to his kid. Unemoyment in SF after selling everything and moving there for work, yikes.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
It's even more bizarre to me now that it sounds like he played the game to completion plus some more to capture footage... and then couldn't come up with 4 minutes of stuff to say about it? Why is that the corner you cut?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The right response. Not only in terms of taken actions but also in tone.
But the ignorant gamerbase will still act like entitled pricks (just look at the responses to their tweet)

Oct 25, 2017
If it were a PS4, PC or XBONE exclusive, you'd have a point. There's nothing strange about a Nintendo editor reviewing a multiplat gaming coming for Switch. People request reviews or you just assign it to who's available.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why IGN chose the Nintendo editor to review a game like Dead Cells in the first place because it doesn't seem like the obvious choice to make. What other games has Filip reviewed for IGN so far? From what I had seen it has only been Nintendo exclusives and late Switch ports of big third party games. If that is indeed the case why give a multiplatform rogue like to a guy like Filip? It makes me think he could have requested it or is seen as adept at this kind of genre? Which makes it all the more strange that he would plagiarise his review. Granted I have no idea how people are chosen to review games at IGN but it just comes off as odd to me.

1.0 version is marketed as a premier switch title. plenty of good reasoning behind that, this kind of game sells most on the platform

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's even more bizarre to me now that it sounds like he played the game to completion plus some more to capture footage... and then couldn't come up with 4 minutes of stuff to say about it? Why is that the corner you cut?

Writing a good 1-2 pages of edited copy can take days, and from what I have seen, game writers are kind of expected to do a big part of their writing overtime not during 8-5. Getting a review done, might involve 3-4 days of sleepless nights after you finished the game.

Anon27

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why IGN chose the Nintendo editor to review a game like Dead Cells in the first place because it doesn't seem like the obvious choice to make. What other games has Filip reviewed for IGN so far? From what I had seen it has only been Nintendo exclusives and late Switch ports of big third party games. If that is indeed the case why give a multiplatform rogue like to a guy like Filip? It makes me think he could have requested it or is seen as adept at this kind of genre? Which makes it all the more strange that he would plagiarise his review. Granted I have no idea how people are chosen to review games at IGN but it just comes off as odd to me.

Because he was a big fan of the game. If I can remember correctly he played it in PC during early access and when it was announced for Switch he was genuinely excited for it. For the past few weeks (before the embargo lifted) he's been hinting how great it is, that's why I'm completely surprise that he would plagiarize. It's such a mind boggling decision why he would do it.

OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

:(

good luck, IGN.

I've watched gamescoop and NVC for years now, so i'll be tuning in as I always do.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Firing Filip was the only thing they could do and a completely warranted and ordinary response to plagiarism in a journalistic setting.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Best to his kid. Unemoyment in SF after selling everything and moving there for work, yikes.
Very very shitty situation but this is the only thing on my mind right now. Familiar with his situation, I can't help but hope Filip lands on his feet quickly.

That said, I hope he keeps his twitter private and just keeps his head down.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
What a stupid way of getting fired, and losing all credibility too. This will haunt him where ever he goes. The guy is done in the gaming media.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, expected but still feels weird. Jose was way better at NVC but I felt like Filip was a safe bet. I wonder if he just got nervous but still, it's hard to plagiarize in journalism. I just don't know how he recovers from this. Maybe go back to YouTube full-time? I have no idea..

Apr 21, 2018
I wonder if Fillip will comment.

I think I was one of the few people here who liked the guy. I listen to every NVC podcast, and although he's not the most animated, he seemed like a genuine fan and a genuine person.

I'm so at odds with this. It almost feels like a Bill Cosby situation where someone I enjoyed listening to and respected as a games journalist is now....a thief?

I don't know how to feel. I feel really bad for him for some reason. Like, his career and reputation are ruined. His name will only represent that of this story now.

I feel really bad for him. I'd like to know what he was thinking, why he did, some sort of explanation on his part.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. He really thought no one would notice?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Writing a good 1-2 pages of edited copy can take days, and from what I have seen, game writers are kind of expected to do a big part of their writing overtime not during 8-5. Getting a review done, might involve 3-4 days of sleepless nights after you finished the game.
3-4 days is a bit much IMO.

Honestly, the hardest part is writing the first couple paragraphs. The average review (1300+ words) usually only takes half a day or less to write.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Going forward I hope IGN hires a journalist with a deep background with Nintendo to be their Nintendo editor. I don't think it was a good fit from the start with Filip.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
LOL, that guy better remove his profile picture from all sites online, change his real-life appearance, and change his name. Because that's the only chance he'll find a similar job.

Or, he should just change careers.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a horrendous situation. But plagiarism is totally
and completely unacceptable. I hate to see anyone lose their job but in this case it's completely justified that he be terminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.