• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I like Filip, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy, so I was shocked to hear about this on the NVC Facebook page. The comparisons are way too similar to be coincidence (I haven't looked through the press kit), and this could potentially destroy his career.

IGN has been having a rough time between HR investigations and hosting personalities leaving.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
What was the old saying? Cant spell ignorant without IGN.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
It's shockingly close. I'd find it hard to believe it's a coincidence. If one or two of the lines were that similar, maybe I'd chalk it up to coincidence, but the entire review feels so close!

I just don't get how this happens? Filip doesn't seem like the type of dude to maliciously steal someone content. I don't understand how this kind of thing happens, or why people think they can get away with it.

It was Filip's 9.7 that made me bite the bullet too. Pre-loaded on Switch.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Filip was feeling the pressure of editing his first review and didn't have time to pull it all together before deadline?

Either way, that video was cringeworthy. Totally plagiarized. I don't know how you'd think you were going to get away with it in today's online world, either.

Sidenote, I used to love NVC but I find Filip incredibly awkward to the point of ruining the podcast for me sometimes.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I watched it several times and put captions on just to make sure. I'm 99% sure the youtuber says lock and not unlock. It definitely sounds like lock and the captions say lock.
It's funny. I swore he said unlock originally, but yeah he says lock. Doesn't help the IGN reviewer though. He makes the same exact point, but makes a single mistake. Like on a math test, a cheater wouldn't realize that single mistake invalidates the entire point.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not that it changes much, but if that's a major sticking point for people it's probably important that the information being spread is correct.

well yeah, large portions of the review can be completely different, but it only takes a single stolen line from another work to be considered plagiarism. And the IGN review has several.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Filip seems like a nice guy, but the few times I've listened to NVC since he took over, he's rarely added anything to it. Just kinda echoes people, which is ironic, given this.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not quite as simple as that, as a lot of the plagiarised stuff seems to be verbatim lifted from the press/dev site --> https://www.terminals.io/product?pid=303

But I agree, it could also just be plain old plagiarism.

If the only similarities were that they used the same terms like Metroidvania, maybe. The wording is all too similar and even the points being made in the same order.

It just seems too similar to be purely coincidental, but I guess there is always a chance.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite as simple as that, as a lot of the plagiarised stuff seems to be verbatim lifted from the press/dev site --> https://www.terminals.io/product?pid=303

What was copied verbatim from that site? The one reviewer who replied to the NVC Facebook thread, when asked if the reviews sounded anything like press site material, said not really.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The IGN review doesn't just copy bullet-point information from the press kit. If both reviews simply described the game using similar language ("tight combat", "Metroidvania roguelite", etc.), it would probably be too difficult to come up with a conclusion either way. However, critiques and opinions are shared between the two reviews and are done so either word-for-word or through very obvious paraphrasing. The closing remarks in particular are eerily similar. There's really no debate here. It's incredibly blatant that Filip viewed the other review at some point before penning his. If you put both reviews through an online plagiarism filter that many schools use these days, Filip would either be forced to re-write his review or he'd be severely punished.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
It worked in high school Filip but it doesn't work on the Internet. 7/10, too much difficult to make original content.

Nov 1, 2017
If the only similarities were that they used the same terms like Metroidvania, maybe. The wording is all too similar and even the points being made in the same order.

It just seems too similar to be purely coincidental, but I guess there is always a chance.
There's barely any reason to give benefit of the doubt when the shared thoughts being lifted by the plagiarist are not even rephrased. If this was done at the college level the IGN writer would be out on his ass faster than you can say Metroidvania.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
It's still plagiarism to lift text from press releases for a review without proper attribution.

All true. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but again, that might be me being naive.

What was copied verbatim from that site? The one reviewer who replied to the NVC Facebook thread, when asked if the reviews sounded anything like press site material, said not really.
The speed running like about how they encourage it I've seen used by Motion Twin themselves, but you're right, it might just be a couple of generic terms.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The games journalist/critic industry is already so fucking volatile, I have no idea why you would just burn your entire reputation like this just to take a cheap short cut.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, the video is bad. It's clearly plagiarised, damn he could have just used his own words, why would he ruin his career over this?

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the Youtuber. This ign guy needs to get fired. Shame on you.

Oct 25, 2017
looks like he filipped the assets
giphy.gif

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Filip was playing this game on stream yesterday right? Did anybody tune in and get a sense for how good he was at the game?

I'd like to imagine this was more of the result of desperation - perhaps because he couldn't beat the game in time - than it was flagrant disregard for the rules.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It could be but I don't really see it. It sounds more like both of them were working off a similar press release or press kit. I assume that a quick check of the guy's internet history on his work PC will tell all.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be but I don't really see it. It sounds more like both of them were working off a similar press release or press kit. I assume that a quick check of the guy's internet history on his work PC will tell all.

Some of you are acting like these reviews read just like fact-sheets or something. They actually give their opinions on the game. And they're the same.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to imagine something lazier than avoiding playing a video game for money.
To (sort of) play devil's advocate, I have a hard time believing he straight up didn't play the game. He mentions in the tweet it's his first time editing a video review. He probably just simply either didn't have what it takes to make one or didn't trust himself enough and relied on another person's video as a guide. Not much better for a game journalist but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he played the game... But definitely looks like he plaigerized.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Why? You seem to be thinking this is a rewrite of a press release, but press releases don't usually include criticisms about their games.
Except these developers have been fairly open about their game, from the dev blogs on bugs and glitches. One of the hot topics about the game is how they simplified one of the game's most challenging levels to make it quicker and a bit easier, which was done in an open discussion.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The games journalist/critic industry is already so fucking volatile, I have no idea why you would just burn your entire reputation like this just to take a cheap short cut.
The sad truth is that for the longest time, popular game criticism hasn't exactly been thought provoking. How many reviews follow a basic checklist of story/gameplay/graphics/sound without going in-depth on any particular item and then just slapping a score on it? There are some very talented reviewers out there that put in the time and effort to do their research and write thoughtful reviews (and many more such writers compared to even fifteen years ago), but you've also got the people who just shortcut their way to a review and call it a day so that they can move on to whatever game they're reviewing next.

Oct 25, 2017
To (sort of) play devil's advocate, I have a hard time believing he straight up didn't play the game. He mentions in the tweet it's his first time editing a video review. He probably just simply either didn't have what it takes to make one or didn't trust himself enough and relied on another person's video as a guide. Not much better for a game journalist but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he played the game... But definitely looks like he plaigerized.
Game critic seemed like the most fun job to me until I grew to appreciate these guy's deadline. Beat a game without a guide in a week or two, write review then take shit from everyone that didn't play the game.

Still no excuse tho.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've now watched both reviews and see the press kit.

This is seeming like plagarism and I hope it's being investigated well.

This seems pretty fishy Filip. If true he should definitely be canned.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Damn

That might be a first for me. I've never heard of a review ripping off another review before. I'm not going to hold IGN accountable though. This is on the individual 100%. Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.