• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This isn't an internal matter though. Sounds like he just clarified a very public issue with an honest response. It reads to me like he was placing emphasis on the fact this could not have been prevented, by stating if anything he would have had a positive reaction to the review.

It could have been stated in a way that didn't seemingly shit on Filip's previous efforts.

The plagiarism matter isn't an internal matter; most everything else is, and the quality of Filip's other first drafts are none of our concern.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, days later I still have this guy's Twitter open, I keep refreshing to see if he'll remove the IGN from his account, he hasn't.

My guess? He feels like his world is crashing in, I mean, having the internet mob you and turn you into a meme for the wrong reasons AND getting fired is life changing. He probably has to tell his partner if he has one or folks close to him, his job, the internet, his inner circle all seeing him at this major point of shame, I feel kind of bad. Plenty of us get fired but don't have to go through a sliver of what he's experiencing, that being said, I cannot say it is unwarranted. So many unknown YouTubers, Streamers, Devs, grind SO hard for exposure, and you get to don the IGN tag and you steal from those same people?

Sorry dude but hard lesson learned.

He'll never live it down with the public and while he deserved to be fired and deserves to never work in journalism again, I still feel bad for his future, because damn.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Dan Stapleton should stop tweeting about this. IGN acted appropriately, he should move on and stop engaging with people on Twitter about it.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
It could have been stated in a way that didn't seemingly shit on Filip's previous efforts.

The plagiarism matter isn't an internal matter; most everything else is, and the quality of Filip's other first drafts are none of our concern.

He could have emphasized the inevitability of this kind of thing slipping through the cracks in a different way, but I'm sure IGN also feels they owe the public an understanding of their perspective and I'm trying to take into account the mindset of the frustrated staff taking the brunt of all of this when I read comments like that.

Just a bad situation and a shame all around. I do think enough has been said to discredit / demean Filip - so I'm on the same page in that respect.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found this to be completely true and it's been weighing heavily on me as of late. Putting loads of effort into something and watching it perform so poorly versus a quick one day video on Fortnite or whatever else is "hot" makes you question what's really worth doing.

It's starting to make me bitter, unfortunately.

People say they want in-depth stuff but that only seems to account for a small audience.

Dude, no, don't think such things, please.

Perhaps your videos aren't getting as many clicks as other really cheaply made videos, but from a long-term perspective, your content is effing gold.

I expect people to come back at your videos years down the line because they are really well made and timeless, in the same way that documentaries are. I know the numbers may not be up to your expectations at first, but your contribution isn't to be taken lightly if you ask me, if you wouldn't be there to make such detailed and well explained videos, perhaps no one could fill that gap.

I see your content as a timeless contribution to gaming history, you're not doing this for nothing. :)

Count on me to show your content to the future child that I don't have yet.

Last edited:

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
Perhaps your videos aren't getting as many clicks as other really cheaply made videos, but from a long-term perspective, your content is effing gold.

Agreed. The quality of your videos will hold up much, much more over the test of time. I hear your frustration - but the mindless garbage will always win in initial views & clicks. Please don't let that discourage you (I know it's much easier said than done).

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Dan Stapleton twitter has a picture of the definition of the word "review", with highlighted "someones opinion". Must be pissed.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason Dan Stapleton posted Filip's playtime is because some people are blaming IGN as a whole over this event by accusing the head editors of having no standards for their reviewers, such as not ensuring their staff plays the games they review.

This ordeal brought about by Filip Miucin alone has given new ammo to those who already hated IGN and are using this situation as confirmation bias.
Yup

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Dude, no, don't think such things, please.

I expect people to come back at your videos years down the line because they are really well made and timeless, in the same way that documentaries are. I know the numbers may not be up to your expectations at first, but your contribution isn't to be taken lightly if you ask me, if you wouldn't be there to make such detailed and well explained videos, perhaps no one could fill that gap.

I see your content as a timeless contribution to gaming history, you're not doing this for nothing. :)

Count on me to show your content to the future child that I don't have yet.

This is very true. Digital Foundry is creating unparalleled gaming documentaries of this particular nature which will form part of video game history. The long-term pay-off is definitely there. These are invaluable, well-researched assets and truly exceptional, cream of the crop video content.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
No matter how bad it was you do not talk about this on twitter. Dan could have said what he needed to without airing out his grievances with what the writer produces on twitter. It could have been the worst work in the world but the tweet comes off as high school drama.

All Dan said was that it seemed better than his usual first drafts. If it's the truth what's wrong with what he said? Was it a little jab? Maybe. But honestly nothing people should get worked up over, but since people want to hang onto this drama and carry it as far as they can, we've begun to nitpick the smallest shit and make mountains out of molehills.

Not to mention the amount of garbage the IGN staff now have to deal with as a result of Filips review, I feel like I'd be more inclined to take the piss out of the guy than not.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
It reads to me like he was placing emphasis on the fact this could not have been prevented.

That is how I interpreted it. I am an editor for a gaming website myself and I have seen writers turn in plagiarized work (they are no longer with us) and I have seen our own original work plagiarized by others.

It can be notoriously difficult to catch plagiarism. There are tools we can use but some instances of plagiarism can be far more subtle than what this guy did. In hindsight the fact that the Dead Cells review was apparently a massive leap in quality for this particular writer should have been a red flag but I don't blame the editor for missing it. Editors deal with multiple writers and several drafts of each article and it is impossible to know the phrasing of every other review for the same game - especially video reviews.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yes that's what I'm asking. I thought NVCs were on thursdays live on the site and released on Fridays on podcast services. Did I get that wrong?

I thought it was recording Thursday, on IGN Friday and Youtube on Saturday. I know that NVC used to be appear on Youtube Friday's but that was before the policy change. I think last week is didn't show up until Saturday afternoon if I remember correctly.

Apr 24, 2018
So, days later I still have this guy's Twitter open, I keep refreshing to see if he'll remove the IGN from his account, he hasn't.

My guess? He feels like his world is crashing in, I mean, having the internet mob you and turn you into a meme for the wrong reasons AND getting fired is life changing. He probably has to tell his partner if he has one or folks close to him, his job, the internet, his inner circle all seeing him at this major point of shame, I feel kind of bad. Plenty of us get fired but don't have to go through a sliver of what he's experiencing, that being said, I cannot say it is unwarranted. So many unknown YouTubers, Streamers, Devs, grind SO hard for exposure, and you get to don the IGN tag and you steal from those same people?

Sorry dude but hard lesson learned.
Very well said. I feel bad but the recidivist nature of Filip's activities...just makes it even worse. This appears to be a serial issue with him. That being said, I hope the internet hate doesn't completely ruin his mental state. He got fired, he deserved it - hopefully he can move on and better himself/have a decent career in another field moving forward.
He is basically saying that his first drafts were garbage and that he had to steal a review in order to show improvement over his style. That's what i took from his carefully worded insult.
Honestly, I don't even think it was that thinly veiled, and I am genuinely surprised some people are having trouble comprehending that he is further insulting Filip, here. This just gives me even more credence that Dan Stapleton is not a nice person (trying not to be too inflammatory here) and just seems like an all around bully/egomaniac. Dan's occassional presence alone is almost enough to make me want to not listen to/watch Game Scoop, even though I otherwise love the podcast.

Although I grudgingly agree that Dan/another editor could not have caught this, I hate having to side with him on anything. And about that whole hours logged thing/defense - I wish someone had been able to try and verify Dan's play time of Bloodborne before he wrote his "opinion piece" on the game (note I know that it wasn't a review and this is written equally in parts jest and frustration). It's fine and well for him to not like the game, but to write factually incorrect things just seems like he barely played it and made him even more unlikable to me. He's often pretty insulting in the IGN comments sections from what I recall, too.

In my eyes, having someone like him writing that piece is just as bad as ruining the credibility of a website as the Filip situation, if not even worse.

Apr 24, 2018
Your hate boner for Dan is blocking everything wrong with this statement. Jesus Christ.

I get why you don't like him, but really?
I think a gaming journalism site writing pieces that are factually inaccurate due to low quality effort puts a horrendous strain on their credibility. I personally haven't read anything from Stapleton, since. I mean the or worse part is hyperbolic, but if I hadn't been going to IGN for years beforehand, and saw these things happen side by side in a similar time frame, I'd consider them fairly equal in my view of the site's credibility.

Edited for completion of thought: I'm not trying to hide the fact that I dislike Dan and I've tried to detail why. Admittedly, I'm pretty upset by what he wrote and as usual, he's just found yet another way to make me angry - Filip's already been fired. Why kick him when he's already down?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I've found this to be completely true and it's been weighing heavily on me as of late. Putting loads of effort into something and watching it perform so poorly versus a quick one day video on Fortnite or whatever else is "hot" makes you question what's really worth doing.

People say they want in-depth stuff but that only seems to account for a small audience.

I feel ya. Many things in life boil down to popularity contests.

It's why I get turned off certain games (or movies, whatever) sometimes if they're super mainstream or people just won't shut up about them. And I hate looking like someone who just follows trends.

The lesser known things are important too.

I completely relate as an artist who feels super under appreciated.

Keep doing what you're doing. Your content is fantastic and you need to be proud of it. You have many fans.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
I feel you.
I try to find time next to work and studies to create Anime Reviews with an actual script, me on camera, providing context, showing actual video footage (always with copyright in mind) and I get less views than some 4min I sit on my ass and show some still image episode review or reaction video.
I stings

I tried doing elaborate video editing pieces in the past only for them to be practically ignored compared to a measly music rip or no-commentary game recording.
Also tried many of the things Twitch streamers do for attention only to not really get much attention on Twitch.
YouTube is just... like that.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

-> Takes responsibility, says it's his fault

-> Tries to look at everything and multiple resources before finishing a review

-> Not intentional

-> Says please don't swarm IGN, blame him

-> Apologies to Dead Cell developers

-> Apologies to Boom Stick edit: does not apologize to boom stick but wishes him well and success

-> Calls out Kotaku and Jason, says he did not copy FIFA review, says ultimately you (the audience) be the judge

-> Says he wasn't a fan of the harassment. People went after not only him, but his family and talked shit to them on their social media accounts.

-> Says thank you for the support, its been a nightmare, he's hopeful for the future

-> Says its his fault, he'll work hard to earn back our trust

-> Truth is he's in this industry because he loves video games and making content

-> Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

-> Not intentional

-> Apologies to Boom Stick

-> Calls out Kotaku and Jason, says he did not copy FIFA review, says ultimately you (the audience) be the judge

-> Says he wasn't a fan of the harassment. People went after not only him, but his family and talked shit to them on their social media accounts.

-> Says thank you for the support, its been a nightmare, he's hopeful for the future

-> Truth is he's in this industry because he loves video games and making content

Yeah, the message is all over the place.

Guilty imo.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Honestly, I don't even think it was that thinly veiled, and I am genuinely surprised some people are having trouble comprehending that he is further insulting Filip, here. This just gives me even more credence that Dan Stapleton is not a nice person (trying not to be too inflammatory here) and just seems like an all around bully/egomaniac. Dan's occassional presence alone is almost enough to make me want to not listen to/watch Game Scoop, even though I otherwise love the podcast.

I don't know if he is a nice person or not (I turned off from IGN a long long long time ago) but i do agree that his insults are very petty, unnecessary and try hard. He makes IGN look even worse, but again, these are also the actions of only one person so....

Oct 25, 2017

-> Not intentional

-> Apologies to Boom Stick

I winced so hard just looking at that thumbnail. So the fair summary was appreciated.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think he said as much about the events as he is legally allowed. I wish him all the best, if you are following this thread, Filip, good luck with everything!

Oct 25, 2017
What drives someone to go after these peoples families. I get wanting to be self righteous, I get wanting to play internet detective, I get wanting to be a part of this (not that any of that is normal, but I can at least connect the dots there), but by the time you're typing to his family on their social media, what are you getting from that? Do you think you're doing a good thing? Who is that helping? What's going through your head?

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
What drives someone to go after these peoples families. I get wanting to be self righteous, I get wanting to play internet detective, I get wanting to be a part of this (not that any of that is normal, but I can at least connect the dots there), but by the time you're typing to his family on their social media, what are you getting from that? Do you think you're doing a good thing? Who is that helping? What's going through your head?
Yeah, that's too much, completely unnecesary, almost a pathological behaviour. The guy made a huge mistake, he was bad at his job and that it's something that can happen to all of us, but that's it.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017

There are several channels that have found great success in releasing in-depth documentaries about videogames or random subjects like Ahoy and LEMMiNO. I'm talking millions of views of videos ranging from 20 minutes to an hour long. There is a lot of people that want quality content.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
There are several channels that have found great success in releasing in-depth documentaries about videogames or random subjects like Ahoy and LEMMiNO. I'm talking millions of views of videos ranging from 20 minutes to an hour long. There is a lot of people that want quality content.
It's pretty insane that you'd mention either of these channels without bringing up Noclip.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty insane that you'd mention either of these channels without bringing up Noclip.
I didn't know they existed. I came across the other 2 just by chance and quickly watched most of their videos that seemed interesting to me. I will check out NoClip, too. Although, at a quick glance their views seem much lower than either of the channels I mentioned (10k-100k versus half a million or more).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So he's saying it wasn't plagairism? I can't really ascertain what he's saying from his apology. I only noticed that he didn't apologize to Boomstick.

Oct 25, 2017
The subtweets from industry people on my feed in response to the video are hilarious. Basically summed up as "This motherfucker ..."

If he stick with games, he could only go independent because these people are maaad. Understandably so.

Status
Not open for further replies.