• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah... it's extremely odd.

So odd it maskes the suggestions that he could have ran into a deadline crunch and duped himself into paying for a plagiarized copy seem more likely / more forgiveable.

Knowingly trying to pass this off as original content in the context of this industry / game with the assumption it will go unnoticed is insane.

Just saw a video from dreamcastguy on youtube who says he has spoken to Filip after he went to IGN and he said there was a lot of pressure there.

It is definitely more likely that he payed someone to do the review to meet the deadline. Unfortunely for him thats not really a good excuse and IGN will have to fire him either way.

Everybody make mistakes. The best thing for him is apologyze and move on.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
One way or another, we'll know by Thursday afternoon.

Agree NVC live show will definitely show what stage IGN is at with this. If he doesn't take a leave of absense with a replacement like Peer(if he's back from Japan), Zach or Brian taking over, or even just have Filip issue a live apology I would be very surprised.

NVC happens the day after the Smash Direct (woo tomorrow!!). Can't see them skipping NVC this week no matter the circumstances. This NVC will also likely be very highly watched just cause of the situation...

Last edited:

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
Makes you wonder if he's done this with his Dead Cells review, how many other people's work has he plagiarized? Has there been any light shed on that at all?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sure, if it's text that is very similar to their text. What you are suggesting is so patently ridiculous I don't even know where to begin telling you how untenable it is.

Why is it untenable? Natural language processing is a real thing (I work with Watson technology at my job). YT, for example, has tools that can comb through its entire library of videos for content that violates its TOS. Are you saying it's impossible for a program to take IGN's written review, cross-references it with all of YT's videos, and identify videos where the speech pattern, sentence structure, etc appear to be similar? I'm not saying it'll be 100% accurate, but you don't think it can even generate potential matches?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No matter what happens, the winner in this situation is most certainly Dead Cells. I barely knew what the heck this game was before today and didn't really care to learn what it was. Now I think it's on my radar.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Just saw the Jim Sterling video and man oh man... what a bad video.
He is describing the whole situation like IGN, as like the entity are just lazy and don't know or don't care what they are doing
and it's all their fault and not the one of some idividual
It's not a super great video, but he actually does specifically say that IGN as a whole are not responsible. He's been a review editor twice, so kind of interesting to hear that angle.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Just saw the Jim Sterling video and man oh man... what a bad video.
He is describing the whole situation like IGN, as like the entity are just lazy and don't know or don't care what they are doing
and it's all their fault and not the one of some idividual
That's a take I keep seeing. Clearly IGN, the biggest Games media site for like 20 years, isn't stupid enough to do this as an entire company. It was one person which sadly reflects badly on IGN and the rest of games media as a whole.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Why is it untenable? Natural language processing is a real thing (I work with Watson technology at my job). YT, for example, has tools that can comb through its entire library of videos for content that violates its TOS. Are you saying it's impossible for a program to take IGN's written review, cross-references it with all of YT's videos, and identify videos where the speech pattern, sentence structure, etc appear to be similar? I'm not saying it'll be 100% accurate, but you don't think it can even generate potential matches?

Can't image IGN investing in developing and implementing such tech just to catch one guy.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
You work with Watson, the smartest, most powerful computer ever created. IGN does not. Can it be done by someone? Probably. Just doesn't sound super easy nor feasible.

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely absurd. There are terabytes of video uploaded to YouTube every day. The processing power required to keep such a database up to date, let alone the storage, is staggering. In addition, you are suggesting that a machine can interpret "speech pattern" and "sentence structure" as if those are objective data points. They aren't, and a machine can't discern them.

It's a nice theoretical thought exercise but it's not a realistic thing.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Regarding the mod edit in the OP, is it considered "petty reasons" when something like this happens and people blast IGN as a whole for it? Legitimate question, I'd like to know what the stance is on petty versus completely valid and reasonable.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's clear Filip loves the game, is great at the game, and I even believe his score of 9.7
Not questioning his gaming creds or love of Nintendo at all.

It's just the laziness or sucking at writing that got him into this.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's absolutely absurd. There are terabytes of video uploaded to YouTube every day. The processing power required to keep such a database up to date, let alone the storage, is staggering. In addition, you are suggesting that a machine can interpret "speech pattern" and "sentence structure" as if those are objective data points. They aren't, and a machine can't discern them.

It's a nice theoretical thought exercise but it's not a realistic thing.

Natural Language processing is actually a real thing. Watson has come a long way since the world first saw it on Jeopardy. The great thing about NLP is that it doesn't require objective data points. The ever-learning AI is able to interpret and analyze normal human speech. I'm constantly impressed by it every day at my job.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
he is gone regardless. the evidence is clear here. wounder if he will resign or be fired, ether way his career is over.

Oct 25, 2017
Natural Language processing is actually a real thing. Watson has come a long way since the world first saw it on Jeopardy. The great thing about NLT is that it doesn't require objective data points. The ever-learning AI is able to interpret and analyze normal human speech. I'm constantly impressed by it every day at my job.
Automated subtitles are not going to solve this problem.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Well Filips gone. Wonder who takes over for Filip in NVC...will they even mention Filip? Guess they have to but the comments will be not something to look at unless you enjoy meltdowns.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why IGN chose the Nintendo editor to review a game like Dead Cells in the first place because it doesn't seem like the obvious choice to make. What other games has Filip reviewed for IGN so far? From what I had seen it has only been Nintendo exclusives and late Switch ports of big third party games. If that is indeed the case why give a multiplatform rogue like to a guy like Filip? It makes me think he could have requested it or is seen as adept at this kind of genre? Which makes it all the more strange that he would plagiarise his review. Granted I have no idea how people are chosen to review games at IGN but it just comes off as odd to me.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

well.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why IGN chose the Nintendo editor to review a game like Dead Cells in the first place because it doesn't seem like the obvious choice to make. What other games has Filip reviewed for IGN so far? From what I had seen it has only been Nintendo exclusives and late Switch ports of big third party games. If that is indeed the case why give a multiplatform rogue like to a guy like Filip? It makes me think he could have requested it or is seen as adept at this kind of genre? Which makes it all the more strange that he would plagiarise his review. Granted I have no idea how people are chosen to review games at IGN but it just comes off as odd to me.
What kind of answer are you expecting for this. Him being chosen for this review isn't even strange.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
It's clear Filip loves the game, is great at the game, and I even believe his score of 9.7
Not questioning his gaming creds or love of Nintendo at all.

It's just the laziness or sucking at writing that got him into this.
You see, he loves the game too much to even put it down and write a review.

LinkMaster111

Oct 25, 2017
IGN did the right thing, that evidence was pretty damning and I'm guessing Filip's response to them was not sufficient to defend it. A terrible situation all around.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Peer might step in to guest-host again. Or maybe they give NVC the week off.
Not with a Smash Direct coming up, no one died. They'll open with an apology and then they'll have an awkward show amongst the exciting news that Goku was confirmed for Smash.

What's the likelihood they cancel this week's NVC to let this blow over a little?
0%
I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong about that. News doesn't stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.