• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know how you can own being a content thief without admitting that you did it. You don't just accidentally steal other people's ideas.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know they existed. I came across the other 2 just by chance and quickly watched most of their videos that seemed interesting to me. I will check out NoClip, too. Although, at a quick glance their views seem much lower than either of the channels I mentioned (10k-100k versus half a million or more).
Noclip was founded by Danny O'Dwyer, formerly of GameSpot, and has actual, professional production value behind their documentaries. They're not just some guy with a decent camera and microphone.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What drives someone to go after these peoples families. I get wanting to be self righteous, I get wanting to play internet detective, I get wanting to be a part of this (not that any of that is normal, but I can at least connect the dots there), but by the time you're typing to his family on their social media, what are you getting from that? Do you think you're doing a good thing? Who is that helping? What's going through your head?

Yeah, what he did was definitely shitty but not deserving of harassment

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I winced so hard just looking at that thumbnail. So the fair summary was appreciated.

Yea no problem man. One important thing I missed was that he didn't actually apologize to boom stick, just wished him well and to keep up the good work.

So he's saying it wasn't plagairism? I can't really ascertain what he's saying from his apology. I only noticed that he didn't apologize to Boomstick.

I guess that's what hes saying. I've liked Filip for a long time so tbh it's a bit disappointing. It really seems like he plagiarized. I feel sorry for the harassment his family (and him) received but if did plagiarize just own up and move on man.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Noclip was founded by Danny O'Dwyer, formerly of GameSpot, and has actual, professional production value behind their documentaries. They're not just some guy with a decent camera and microphone.
Ok, but I'd urge you to watch Ahoy's video about The Secret of Monkey Island or Polybius or any of his documentaries, really. If you think those didn't take some serious research time and editing, I don't know what to say. There is a reason he only releases videos every few months.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
LOL @ that response

Claims to take responsibility, but then doesn't. Calls out Jason Schreier and doesn't even entertain the thought that maybe he actually thought he plagiarized the FIFA review, then throws a pity party for himself.

Just say the IGN bit, apologize, and move on.

I hate these stupid, fake-ass woe-is-me responses.

Oct 28, 2017
I've found this to be completely true and it's been weighing heavily on me as of late. Putting loads of effort into something and watching it perform so poorly versus a quick one day video on Fortnite or whatever else is "hot" makes you question what's really worth doing.

It's starting to make me bitter, unfortunately.

People say they want in-depth stuff but that only seems to account for a small audience.

Your channel does great work but it is a popular niche online. As a old school gamer I'm not interested in FPS and obsessing about performance. As long as it runs fine and the game is fun. That's all that matters to me.

614k subs is nothing to be upset about

Oct 25, 2017
His response is nonsense.

Like, okay, he takes full responsibility, admits he has to earn trust back, but then claims that what he did in copying Boomstick's review was "not intentional"? Like, if you want to earn back trust, you're going to have to go the other direction and speak to how intentional the act really was -- that you intended, wrongly, to benefit from someone else's work. He is guilty according to his own office, the people you'd expect to have his back in this situation, so there's not really any way for individuals looking at this response to think otherwise. If IGN was sure enough to fire him over this with every comment indicating he did indeed copy the review, calling everything here unintentional seems disingenuous at best, and disgusting at worst.

I'm ashamed that he and his family have been threatened over this. That's wrong and should never happen, and for what it's worth the guy seems nice, but man that apology of his seems to lack in authenticity for the event that caused all of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are feeling some type of way about the apology. Some are gonna keep their thoughts to themselves and then other people are Dan Stapleton.

It's Friday, the work day is almost up on the west coast. Go do something fun.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Some people are feeling some type of way about the apology. Some are gonna keep their thoughts to themselves and then other people are Dan Stapleton.

It's Friday, the work day is almost up on the west coast. Go do something fun.

The guy is Executive Editor of Reviews at IGN. His ire is pretty well justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.