• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers absolutely should not care for a second about how devs are paid based on Metacritic scores.

Metacritic bonuses are of course a horrible practice but that's on the publisher/studio.

Who said anything about bad scores ? they could have given it a 2 if they wanted to. But there needs to be some integrity. You can't not finish a game then complain the game is short.

This case in particular was blown out of proportion but a fuck up should be called out. If they have a history of rushing out reviews just for maximum clicks , then they absolutely need to be called a bad review website. In general the idea behind how reviews,deadlines and how it affects devs is pretty fuked up.

People on this site have no issues bashing supposedly "Lazy" game devs for tons of shit. But when a reviewer doesnt even finish the game , people shouldn't criticize him ? IGN is also a pretty big corporate company like most of these devs.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Who said anything about bad scores ? they could have given it a 2 if they wanted to. But there needs to be some integrity. You can't not finish a game then complain the game is short.

This case in particular was blown out of proportion but a fuck up should be called out. If they have a history of rushing out reviews just for maximum clicks , then they absolutely need to be called a bad review website. In general the idea behind how reviews,deadlines and how it affects devs is pretty fuked up.

People on this site have no issues bashing supposedly "Lazy" game devs for tons of shit. But when a reviewer doesnt even finish the game , people shouldn't criticize him ? IGN is also a pretty big corporate company like most of these devs.

You're arguing that integrity is based around reviews affecting devs, though. Which is absolutely not a thing a reviewer should be considering.

...and this bashing "lazy" game devs you mention is explicitly against the rules. By that logic people bashing - not criticizing - journalists in the same manner should be banned as well...?

And I'm not saying people are wrong to criticize mistakes in general, but most people who came here to criticize him actually - ironically enough - completely misunderstood what happened. You would think they would be more permitting of small mistakes.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, because Daemon is a cool guy. But he has been caught twice doing similar stuff.

No, he didn't; this is not the same kind of thing as what happened back then. He didn't misrepresent what he played at all. He just misunderstood what the 2nd run scenario was and thought it was for the same character you just cleared with, so he played the first scenario for both characters. But this is very clear in the original review, which directly states what he played as well as his understanding of how the 2nd Run unlock system works.

...and even then the other thing was literally 8 years ago.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, he didn't; this is not the same kind of thing as what happened back then. He didn't misrepresent what he played at all. He just misunderstood what the 2nd run scenario was and thought it was for the same character you just cleared with, so he played the first scenario for both characters. But this is very clear in the original review, which directly states what he played as well as his understanding of how the 2nd Run unlock system works.

...and even then the other thing was literally 8 years ago.
He absolutely misrepresented the other content and than he downplays it with a half ass apology. I don't care if the other review was 20 years ago. It shows a pattern.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Based on what exactly? They've done roughly 350 video game reviews in the past year, and there's been issues with fewer than a handful of them.

This RE2 issue was corrected almost immediately. There was no AC7 issue, that's on the developer. And the Philip Munchin thing nobody in the entire world and all the Internet caught on to till one of the content creators he plagiarised themselves did, so how you expected IGN editors to pick that up I have no idea. They're not going to go around watching and vetting tens of thousands of videos (from small and relatively unknown YouTubers etc) just to reference against their hundreds of reviews. That's an impossible and ridiculous ask. Again, they dealt with it swiftly.

I'm not a big fan of IGN, I mostly only view their content for streams, game videos etc, but I'm trying to be rationale about this. They're a massive company and cover copious amounts of shit, there's going to be some issues here and there, it's only natural, and their employees are only human.

My take as well

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Based on what exactly? They've done roughly 350 video game reviews in the past year, and there's been issues with fewer than a handful of them.

This RE2 issue was corrected almost immediately. There was no AC7 issue, that's on the developer. And the Philip Munchin thing nobody in the entire world and all the Internet caught on to till one of the content creators he plagiarised themselves did, so how you expected IGN editors to pick that up I have no idea. They're not going to go around watching and vetting tens of thousands of videos (from small and relatively unknown YouTubers etc) just to reference against their hundreds of reviews. That's an impossible and ridiculous ask. Again, they dealt with it swiftly.

I'm not a big fan of IGN, I mostly only view their content for streams, game videos etc, but I'm trying to be rationale about this. They're a massive company and cover copious amounts of shit, there's going to be some issues here and there, it's only natural, and their employees are only human.
Thank christ, a level-headed take.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
These comments... yeah, it's embarrassing coming from a site like ign, but some people are acting like this is another F*lip situation and it's not. It's just an unprofessional mistake, sometimes it happens. Like, move on.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

I agree with this.

The volume of content that IGN produces is huge, and the fact that it was corrected quickly is okay.