• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest.... I did the same thing when I played the original version of the game.
I played Leon A scenario and then played Claire A scenario.
Boy was I surprised when I then played Leon B scenario and started on the other side of the crash.

Starting on the other side of the crash was the original Claire scenario. That was the original point of having two discs and two characters. If you played the Claire side first, you started on that side of the crash first.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear

To be fair that could be worded better as I would have been confused myself.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its really not a big deal, he gave the game a good score regardless. Hes been in the industry for years and ive always liked his input, but now "fuck him for missing something in a game i like and giving it two points below a 9" .seriously i dont get why we spend so much time searching for reasons to attack reviewers. This kind of shit this industry and its fans suck some times.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I never played the original RE 2 but from what I understand, it goes way deeper than just A/B routes, right? To get the full experience you needed to do A and B for both characters, then all the other unlockable modes. Is there a preferred A route character for your first run?

Oct 26, 2017
Hilarious situation has emerged here. The IGN review for RE2 gave the game an 8.8 and included a bizarre section where the reviewer claimed that two scenarios for the game consisted of the same content, puzzles, enemies, and narrative, just with different playable characters. This is of course wildly inaccurate, and betrays the fact that the reviewer clearly didn't play an entire half of the game. They just played the A scenario twice, once with each protagonist. The review was later updated to cross out that section, and then updated again to delete the section altogether, change the score to 9.0, and add this note:

Sounds more like he got to Marvin on the other person's 1st and gave up. To be honest I have no idea how much puzzles etc. are different between the two characters, or across 1st and 2nd, but I know how the whole side character plot parts are different between Claire & Leon.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its really not a big deal, he gave the game a good score regardless. Hes been in the industry for years and ive always liked his input, but now "fuck him for missing something in a game i like and giving it two points below a 9" .seriously i dont get why we spend so much time searching for reasons to attack reviewers.

How is being "in the industry for years" supposed to be a selling point?

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It's regarding the controls, to be fair it's also the devs fault for naming and making it default but again you expect someone to be at least competent at their job so..

true. i mean, 'professionalism' is supposed to be what separates us from them in terms of working in games media, so you have a point - these mistakes shouldnt happen.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Humans make mistakes so I can forgive the reviewer. Editors for professional publications are supposed to catch said mistakes before publication though so step up the game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So ... your suggestion is everyone doesn't have a job when someone else screws up?
Do you understand the point of having an editing staff? They are the supervisors of the writing staff. Their job is to not only proof read the articles, but also fact check and screen them. This is a consistent problem with IGN over the last couple years.

This isn't a one off circumstance.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
By knowing what the fuck you're reviewing?

I mean, again, the official word that went around post-e3 was that it didn't have a zapping system.
(but also, again, apparently the same straight up tells you it's a thing once you beat the game the first time and it's like my dude why did you not even try out that option on the main menu!)

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody not familiar with the original game, I can definitely see how those screenshots aren't especially clear.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not going to lie If when you first get the game and click new game if you can choose which character at that point I might have done the same thing. When I see second run I immediately think a rearranged mode or harder

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over the fact that they not only didn't know about scenario B, but updated the review a short time later saying that the second scenario "is not really different than the first". They did not even play the thing and still doubled down on "it is the same thing." But then they increased the score. This is the worst review stupidity I have ever seen on IGN.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
No matter how unclear any particular screenshot is, you would hope that the reviewer actually understands the background and premise of the game they are playing enough to know that they missed out on a huge chunk of the narrative and content.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious situation has emerged here. The IGN review for RE2 gave the game an 8.8 and included a bizarre section where the reviewer claimed that two scenarios for the game consisted of the same content, puzzles, enemies, and narrative, just with different playable characters. This is of course wildly inaccurate, and betrays the fact that the reviewer clearly didn't play an entire half of the game.:

I agree that this is a big mistake that a publication like IGN should not be making, but this quote from the OP isn't entirely fair.

The second run does largely contain the same content including puzzles, enemies and bosses. There are a couple of unique sections but it's nothing to write home about. Taking this into consideration, claiming it's an entire half of the game is also unfair.

This whole backlash is a little overboard in my eyes, people make mistakes after all, especially when they're trying to beat a deadline.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Its bad UI design. They shouldn't have added a seconds new game option. People will glance over it. Ideally you should have to click on new game, then the game asks you if you want to do the second scenario. No possible mistake if done that way.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should be too harsh of the reviewer. Just sounds like a silly mistake, and people make silly mistakes sometimes. The reviewer is probably already embarrassed about it enough.

It's tough when you're a reviewer, you're one of the first people to have the game so you can't just hear about what content the game has from other people online. You just go into it totally blind, not able to ask other people for help or for questions. Given that, you might naturally miss things sometimes.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I agree that this is a big mistake that a publication like IGN should not be making, but this quote from the OP isn't entirely fair.

The second run does largely contain the same content including puzzles, enemies and bosses. There are a couple of unique sections but it's nothing to write home about. Taking this into consideration, claiming it's an entire half of the game is also unfair.

This whole backlash is a little overboard in my eyes, people make mistakes after all, especially when they're trying to beat a deadline.
Yes I think the second part probably doesn't actually amount to an entire half of the game, I agree that was perhaps not quite fair.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda off-putting - getting something like this wrong when you are able to review such a great title is ridiculous.

Two 6-8 hour campaigns of quality sounds like a dream game for reviewer - yet it seems even with such a game the reviewer was looking for a shortcut of somekind.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean, again, the official word that went around post-e3 was that it didn't have a zapping system.
It doesn't have the Zapping system

The Zapping system was LA-CB-CA-LB, and only in the original RE2

This version has always had the two scenarios, one of Leon and one for Claire

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even so it's their job, other outlets didn't have the problem and they're the biggest out there. I mean they can ask Capcom for clarification? Ask their fellow reviewers? From what I read and seen above the game tells you after you finish your first scenario and it's also shown after on the menu.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is being "in the industry for years" supposed to be a selling point?

Because he's always been pretty well regarded and now he makes a small mistake and suddenly he sucks? It seems more to me like people getting overly defensive over a game they want to have a high metascore. When i see shit like people calling him pathetic then saying this is why all games journalism is terrible it seems pretty plain to me that there are some overreactions afoot. Gonna be honest i dont even go on ign, i havent in years, i have no horse when it comes to defending him. But some people here are honestly acting like a bunch of ass hats over what was a simple mistake.