• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

I saw this on twitter but it seems pretty clear

Yeah seem clear, but it seem it has change a bit from the original no? You do a part with Leon, switch disk, you can do the other part with the other character, there was no confusion. I think it confuse me s bit myself now, ill take note when i get it. Calling it second run could be an extra mode, hard mode. Yop, i think it confuse me a bit.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens when you allow gamers to fester unchecked for almost a full day now.
In case you are referring to me, I was the one that defended him during my original post in this thread. I said that people can't possibly compare missing content from a book to missing a part of a game and clearly defended the reviewer because it appeared that he did play 2nd run as well as the first run twice. But eventually the reviewer made significant changes to his review, some of which aren't apparent unless you compare it with the original version (which thankfully is available in the regions outside the US), and from what I now understand he lied.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
No, I made just an educated guess at a reason for his apparent foretelling of his issues with the game. He made a little mistake and was too proud to change a big issue of contention in his review. Doesn't sound as silly as you want it to be.

I'm sure it was too much to ask that you read the thread before coming in with your wisdom but just so you know why I'm even arguing about it:

You keep going on about this "foretelling of his issues" as if it's not a completely reasonable course of events.

He thought both A routes were too similar. He then thought the B route, while different, was still very similar.

He didn't fucking predict his B playthrough that he didn't do, he just felt it didn't change much. So he didn't change the wording much. That's... it? That's it.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
You keep going on about this "foretelling of his issues" as if it's not a completely reasonable course of events.

He thought both A routes were too similar. He then thought the B route, while different, was still very similar.

He didn't fucking predict his B playthrough that he didn't do, he just felt it didn't change much. So he didn't change the wording much. That's... it? That's it.
You'd think that would be it, but this thread has another 20 pages of impotent gamer rage to burn through.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
In case you are referring to me, I was the one that defended him during my original post in this thread. I said that people can't possibly compare missing content from a book to missing a part of a game and clearly defended the reviewer because it appeared that he did play 2nd run as well as the first run twice. But eventually the reviewer made significant changes to his review, some of which aren't apparent unless you compare it with the original version (which thankfully is available in the regions outside the US), and from what I now understand he lied.

I wasn't. But since you mention it- I don't think you're correct about this.

Because even though he did technically correct did, the way he did it doesn't show full admission of his wrongdoing.

I also just realized something else. It's not just this paragraph that he altered. He also deleted the next one where he was starting he was aware of the 2nd run and implied he did play it. So in the original version he says that he played the same route twice and that enabled the 2nd run which he found highly similar. That's all fine until he changes his review and adds the following notice "Having now played Leon's 2nd Game, I'm still disappointed that there's only marginally more new things to see and do there" which basically says he hadn't finished the 2nd run originally lik he implied. So not only he scored the game based on playing the same thing twice but he also implied he played the 2nd run which apparently wasn't the case until after the corrections/deletions.

The bolded doesn't reflect the review. (EDIT: Bolding got messed up; had wrong sentence at first. Whoops.)

Review said:
It turns out that the other perspective I wanted does exist, but it's confusingly hidden behind each character's second Game mode. You have to play through as Leon once to unlock the second version as Leon, and the same for Claire. That's annoying, and it's completely baffling that Capcom set it up this way instead of just letting us play the alternate perspective on our second playthrough as the second character, but at least you'll finally get to see some new areas and there is the promise of an alternate ending. This mode isn't entirely new, though, and there is still a lot of overlap in the puzzle solving.

Note the bolded. To me this would imply that he'd started it but not finished it, at the time of review. And beyond that, he did say that there were new areas despite a lot being similar. Which is entirely in line with the new version:

New Review said:
While there are a handful of new locations, many quest items are shuffled to new locations so you need to hunt for them again, and you'll see more and deadlier enemies sooner in the campaign, most of the same events happen. Leon and Claire take extremely similar paths, meet most of the same people, solve most of the same puzzles, and fight most of the same bosses the other one did the first time through.

So it reads to me like he just hadn't finished it yet, but had at least gotten into the portion of the second scenario where he started seeing old stuff again.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are certainly grays in this discussion and that's the issue.
He barely owned up to it actually he doubled down that it wasn't much content. So there's a reason to still be talking about this.

It's not an easy job, it seems like it would be a very hard and demanding job.

These threads always bring out the most garbage hot takes.

The disdain 'gamers' have for journalism and criticism is consistently embarrassing.

When you love what you do, you don't work a day in your life. I can't imagine what kind of pressure this person is under where they have to PLAY VIDEO GAMES AND SUBJECTIVELY TALK ABOUT IT. I HIGHLY DOUBT THEY ARE CURING CANCER OVER THERE AT IGN.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan McCaffrey just blocked me 30 seconds ago for tweeting at him that Elon Musk is anti-union

IGN's issues run deep

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is an incredibly bad take. Two mistakes years apart and you have random people saying, "we need to discuss Daemon" like some kind of concerned parents is absurd.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like my take. Bringing up the fact that he's been in a similar situation before is valid, however.

Anything else should be left to internal discussion and not a message board thread.

No one here has the ability to fire him. The overwhelming majority of people in this thread have said nothing like that either. Relax.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like my take. Bringing up the fact that he's been in a similar situation before is valid, however.

No one here has the ability to fire him. The overwhelming majority of people in this thread have said nothing like that either. Relax.
Haha, love it when people trot out "relax." So petty and dismissive.

I never said anyone calling for him to be fired. I'm saying it's embarrassing and over-the-top to be discussing in earnest even this much.

You included.

So I guess what I'm saying is, just relax.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this still going on? A human made a mistake, owned up to it and corrected it in a matter of hours. Get off your high horses, people.

MaxwellGT2000

Nov 5, 2017
Ryan McCaffrey just blocked me 30 seconds ago for tweeting at him that Elon Musk is anti-union

IGN's issues run deep
The issues have run deep for a loooooong time, I used to commentate on IGN and Gamespot were real chummy with AAA publishing before the whole Gershwin-Gate, it was fertile ground for a lot of corporate lead abuses of the readership, and now they branch out to market for anyone with a checkbook. Back in the day when I was pretty into following a couple of their writers but I started noticing some of their coworkers were spouting Libertarian/Tea Party nonsense, or just weirdly working in marketing talking points on podcasts... no one is held to standards.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
When you love what you do, you don't work a day in your life. I can't imagine what kind of pressure this person is under where they have to PLAY VIDEO GAMES AND SUBJECTIVELY TALK ABOUT IT. I HIGHLY DOUBT THEY ARE CURING CANCER OVER THERE AT IGN.
I can't tell if you're serious or not, but if you are, any job can be stressful. It's quite dismissive to say he plays video games and likes them so what stress or pressure can they experience?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Gamers rise up. Someone made a mistake, lets get the boys together and go to town.

Seriously though, it's not a big deal.

How is this still going on? A human made a mistake, owned up to it and corrected it in a matter of hours. Get off your high horses, people.

Pretty much this. I only read the first page and it's embarrassing. Shit is looking like Gamefaqs.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Lots of posts pondering how the reviewer made the mistake when I'm more interested in how IGN's editors let this slip by and get published.

Actually with a lot of their content over the recent years I'm wondering the same thing. Especially the Miucin situation when their own content was being plagiarised.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The ridiculous amount of dogpiling in this forum for almost everything is very predictable and getting a bit out of hand.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Lots of posts pondering how the reviewer made the mistake when I'm more interested in how IGN's editors let this slip by and get published.

Actually with a lot of their content over the recent years I'm wondering the same thing. Especially the Miucin situation when their own content was being plagiarised.

It's the culture of 'just be the fastest to post content.' Also fact checking is most probably not something that they invest in their culture. I mean sure, a degree of trust towards your writers is not unwarranted, but that Miucin case was such an unprecedented showcase of their editors most probably just don't give a damn.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He interpreted this as being about Leon's second run, such that he unlocked a new scenario for Leon and the ending/parts would be changed in comparison to what he just played. Not that it unlocked a new scenario for Claire, that changes in comparison to what he would have played as Claire if he picked the first scenario. So instead of picking the option that he thought was replaying the game as Leon, he played through Claire's first scenario instead, thinking that would then unlock Claire's second scenario.

Honestly, what you wrote here is more confusing than anything the game presents.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I don't think you realize how many innocent lives were ruined by this mistake. It's beyond a doctor mixing up medical charts. The metacritic average could have been affected substantially.

This. Not all mistakes are the same.
There's a difference between confusing customer's pizza order to fucking up a AAA game's metascore permanently causing the publisher to potentially punish the developer team as seen with Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield Hardline and countless other games. Sometimes it's not the developers that's punished but the IP itself, Dead Space, Binary Domain, Dragon's Dogma, Alien Isolation are all good examples.

The team is lucky that IGN still gives the game an 8.8 despite misunderstood the game's structure, IGN could've easily gave it a much worse score.

Last edited:

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
That lines up with what another poster in this thread who played it said that the first hour or so is a little different but then largely feels the same as the character's first run.

Just to clarify also that the walkthrough (A/B) will be kinda similar, yes. But not exactly the same. The solution of the puzzles will be different, the order of things you do at the police station will be different etc. When you leave the police station, the game will be more similar with the first playthrough, but not 100%.

But, yes, the "flow" of the story and things will be similar.

I didn't want to say all that because it is kinda of spoiler-ish, but there you go.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
There's a difference between confusing customer's pizza order to fucking up a AAA game's metascore permanently causing the publisher to potentially punish the developer team as seen with Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield Hardline and countless other games.
Because an 8.8 that was changed to a 9 ia worthy of punishment.
Unless you were being sarcastic, I don't even know anymore.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I honestly don't see an issue here. They made a mistake, owned up to it quickly and fixed it. I mean what perfect world do some of you live in?

It's like you damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Because an 8.8 that was changed to a 9 ia worthy of punishment.
Unless you were being sarcastic, I don't even know anymore.

Like I said, they are lucky the game still got 8.8 despite the big misunderstanding on IGN's part.
The reason why we are still angry is because this could've easily gone way worse, I can't imagine how many developers were screwed over because of bad rushed reviews like this. Is Nier Automata supposed to be 9.5 from IGN had the reviewer actually finished the story? How about Binary Domain and Dragon's Dogma?

The RE team is lucky this time that they didn't get screwed over by IGN's incompetence. They are also lucky that we are angry.

We are angry not because someone made a mistake, but because we see just how careless and unprofessional IGN is.

Last edited:

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Like I said, they are lucky the game still got 8.8 despite the big misunderstanding on IGN's part.
The reason why we are still angry is because this could've easily gone way worse, I can't imagine how many developers were screwed over because of bad rushed reviews like this. Is Nier Automata supposed to be 9.5 from IGN had the reviewer actually finished the story? How about Binary Domain and Dragon's Dogma?

The RE team is lucky this time that they didn't get screwed over by IGN's incompetence. They are also lucky that we are angry.

We are angry not because someone made a mistake, but because we see just how careless and unprofessional IGN is.
Is this a parody?

If not, you need to GROW THE FUCK UP.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between confusing customer's pizza order to fucking up a AAA game's metascore permanently causing the publisher to potentially punish the developer team as seen with Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield Hardline and countless other games. Sometimes it's not the developers that's punished but the IP itself, Dead Space, Binary Domain, Dragon's Dogma, Alien Isolation are all good examples.

The team is lucky that IGN still gives the game an 8.8 despite misunderstood the game's structure, IGN could've easily gave it a much worse score.
I'm pretty sure the person you quoted is being incredibly sarcastic.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a fucking embarrassment, ya'll should be ashamed with this borderline gamergate bullshit.
I'm not surprised, the Kotaku Halo MCC thread I made literally has people still thinking 343i didn't relieve enough criticism over the MCC launch 4 years ago even though employees were harassed and threatened back then and the game has been fixed for months. The negativity is definitely not restricted just to this thread.

I guess so, but that didn't change my point.
Reviewers shouldn't just rush out the review like that, mistake could be made and it could potentially affect a game's metascore which publishers take very seriously.
I agree with you, but in this situation it's already been acknowledged and corrected. No point in raging over it anymore.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm pretty sure the person you quoted is being incredibly sarcastic.

I guess so, but that didn't change my point.
Reviewers shouldn't just rush out the review like that, mistake could be made and it could potentially affect a game's metascore which publishers take very seriously.
Again, this time they got lucky the game still got 8.8 despite the mistake, but what if the game got a 7 or 6.5?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

It's a careless mistake but you are hilariously overestimating how important a fucking videogame review on the internet is. They have almost zero impact on anything. Even IGN's.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
At this point, those calling for blood as a result of this whole mistake is just embarrassing. I'm Glad I'm not so consumed by any form of media to the point where I would react in such a toxic manner.

Reading some of the replies , some of you should be ashamed of yourselves ; and I hope you will come to that realisation in 10 years time, when you finally become an adult and fight battles about issues that really matter.