• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Hilarious situation has emerged here. The IGN review for RE2 gave the game an 8.8 and included a bizarre section where the reviewer claimed that two scenarios for the game consisted of the same content, puzzles, enemies, and narrative, just with different playable characters. This is of course wildly inaccurate, and betrays the fact that the reviewer clearly didn't play an entire half of the game. They just played the same scenario twice, once with each protagonist. The review was later updated to cross out that section, and then updated again to delete the section altogether, change the score to 9.0, and add this note:

[Editor's Note: This review has been updated to correct a factual error regarding the way you unlock the 2nd Game mode, and as a result, the score has been increased from 8.8 to 9.0. We regret the error and really like Resident Evil 2.]
Here is a screencap of the original section in question:

bq758e1.jpg

IGN reviewers keep winning.

MOD EDIT: Explanation of what Happened

No, it's not clear. You don't understand the mistake that was made. It's not that he missed this text or that the new option existed.

"The ending and certain parts of the game are different in the 2nd Run scenario."

He interpreted this as being about Leon's second run, such that he unlocked a new scenario for Leon and the ending/parts would be changed in comparison to what he just played. Not that it unlocked a new scenario for Claire, that changes in comparison to what he would have played as Claire if he picked the first scenario. So instead of picking the option that he thought was replaying the game as Leon, he played through Claire's first scenario instead, thinking that would then unlock Claire's second scenario.

The wording isn't clear if you approach it with that possibility in mind.

EDIT:

From the REview thread, it seems like the reviewer also blocked one of our members for tweeting him about it haha:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So I am curious, did the reviewer actually went back and played the whole of the 2nd scenario before updating his review score?

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to like IGN back in the day, and it was my go to for reviews. Man they've gone down hill.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
How do you even play the A scenario twice with different characters if by playing A with one, you automatically play B with the other?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So... why do any IGN editors still have a job? I mean, I can understand one rogue reviewer slipping through the cracks, but there is a consistent problem that their editors are apparently blind to.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OK, but how are people supposed to know the difference between A and B? If a reviewer could make this mistake, it means a lot of regular folk could as well.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Hilarious situation has emerged here. The IGN review for RE2 gave the game an 8.8 and included a bizarre section where the revierew claimed that two scenarios for the game consisted of the same content, puzzles, enemies, and narrative, just with different playable characters.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well IGN is having quite the week with their review department.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
LOL what? IGN continues to be a joke. Have you seen their 10 Minutes of Metro Exodus Gameplay?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
how is it that IGN, one of the biggest gaming media and supposedly then one of the sites that has the most budget (what with those IGN First features and ad revenue), can make so many blunders?

Don't they have any reviewers that actually makes an effort to play games till completion (a single player game no less) for review?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more curious about the reviewer unblocking the people that told him about it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait, you can play Leon's story with Clair now and vice versa? That's really cool.

Sounds like this dude never played the original lol.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the bigger story here is the reviewer only played half the game yet still gave it 8.8. And people are saying reviews are not hype driven.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When you complete the A scenario there is an option called New Game (2nd Run) under the default New Game. I don't think this an easy thing to miss. Why the reviewer didn't even start that to see what it was I do not understand.