• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
y'all don't have to engage with blade wolf, they've been in full on meltdown mode about IGN the entire thread.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Also people from IGN are a fucking joke, they talk about games way more than they know about it. It almost like they are pretending to know shit so they don't get fired.

It's the typical ''I'm just gonna repeat what everyone says about the game and act like I'm a professional critic even though I barely played a few hours of previous God Of War games and don't know shit about the character.''
Exactly, and I bet you IGN will try this shit again when it hits 10 years.
Witcher 3 is a masterpiece, not according to those stuck up reviewers from IGN, GameInformer or Polygon, but according to millions of us, I hate to use the word but fuck it, gamers.
You know, the very typical ''8.5/10 hope no one is offended'' IGN reviews.
Thanks IGN, very cool.
I wish I can become a professional reviewer just to give every hyped up AAA game a 10/10, so people can finally see how meaningless and easy it is to give out 10/10.

Video game critics are nothing compared to movie critics, it's about as deep as your average YouTube reviewers.

Let's not forget Dead Space 3 once got a 5/5, which is basically 10/10. As long as the reviewers are having fun they will give any game a good score. Most reviewers aren't even as thorough or in-depth as AngryJoe, which is fucking sad if you ask me. Remember that IGN reviewer that gave Borderlands VR low score because he can't be bothered to tune the settings? Yeah....

People only ever take reviewers seriously when it aligns with their expectation

''I can't wait for Last of Us II....woah 10/10 from IGN! Thank god! IGN is the most professional and authoritative video game review sites in the industry, their 10/10 is the living proof that this game is a masterpiece! Hooray!!''

*literally a week later*

''Really a 9/10 for COD? IGN lol''
I am not talking about you guys, I'm talking about wensites like IGN. If you listened to some of their podcast you'd know IGN people treat 100% like it's some impossible task.

Don't even get me started on the 720p vs 1080p shit from podcast Unlocked

giphy.gif

What do you expect from IGN? Some in depth list made by enthusiasts?
Famitsu is like the Japanese version of IGN except all games are scored between 8/10 to 10/10. I am not even joking.
That IGN review(5.9/10) from Ryan McCaffrey is fucking garbage to say the least. It's such a salty review, all because he died too much.
IGN is such a painfully casual site, anything remotely hardcore will get a bad review cause they can't beat it.
I'm sure the game will be great and I can't wait for it, but...

Why would I base my judgement on other people's opinion? You think I give a shit what people over at IGN think about this game?
Those people can barely figure out a tutorial level, they can't even stomach Alien Isolation's brilliant design (which is a great horror game) and ended up giving it a 5.9/10.

You'd be crazy if you think I should take these people serious, the IGN reviewer who's reviewing this game probably haven't even played the original RE2. They probably don't even know if G-adult is a new enemy or not.
IGN everybody.

They can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p

They don't know if The Last Guardian is actually cancelled or not.

They can't get over the Alien A.I. thus Alien Isolation gets 5.9/10

They can't figure out if their reviewer is stealing other people's review or not.

They can't be bothered to tune the settings in Borderland VR therefore it's a shit VR game.

Seriously.

How many people's hardwork are tainted not because they made a bad game but because the reviewer over at IGN are utterly incompetent?

Why is IGN still the biggest review site when we have far more competent review sites like Skill Up, GameXplain and EasyAllies?
It's IGN, not some random YouTube gaming review channel. Fucking get a guy with at least some Ace Combat experience to review it.

You can't just go

''Ok Bob, you'll review Ace Combat 7 this weekend okay?''

''Cool, never played Ace Combat but I'm excited!''

Their reputation is NOT good. It's just not, not even among other review sites.
This is just my opinion but I don't really think IGN take reviews seriously at all.
Sure they claim they are very serious but they almost never try different difficulties, control types, settings, modes or replay a game while reviewing.

It's almost always one difficulty, one control type, one playthrough and done. Straight to the recording and writing.

This is why they almost never mentioned replayablility in all of their reviews, cause they never replay a game while reviewing it. It's not even a thing to them.
You are confusing video game critics with movie critics lol
Video game critics are not very trust worthy and competent, most of time they are at the fault, not the game. Again, see Alien Isolation review by IGN.

There's a reason why people keep using this ''3/10 too much water - IGN'' meme, cause that's how they feel about video game reviews in general.
In fact, that literally just happened recently. Borderlands VR gets a 3/10 from IGN because the reviewer doesn't know how to play a goddamn VR game.
It was so embarrassing they fucking took it down for re-review.
Incompetent observations should not pass as professional critic. Video game critic need quality control, period.

You can't justify everything with ''it's their opinion'', this is professional review, not Jimmy's YouTube gaming show.

Even AngryJoe can do better than this. (Seriously I will never understand why people take IGN more seriously than AngryJoe.)
Maybe for you, but not for me. Seeing your hardwork misunderstood by a bad review is painful.

If I'm a developer I would do the same, especially when it's coming from IGN of all places.
IGN is biggest joke in gaming journalism.

IGN reviewers are special, so I don't see other reviews or players making the same mistake.
lol DSP is IGN in human form.
IGN EVERYBODY THEY FUCKING DID IT AGAIN
They can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p

They don't know if The Last Guardian is actually cancelled or not.

They can't get over the Alien A.I. thus Alien Isolation gets 5.9/10

They can't figure out if their reviewer is stealing other people's review or not.

They can't be bothered to tune the settings in Borderland VR therefore it's a shit VR game.

and now they can't even figure out how Resident Evil 2 works, they are journalists for fucks' sake, they are supposed to figure this shit out, it's literally their job.

Sorry they don't hire competent people.
This is why people think IGN is stupid. (I didn't say IGN is stupid, ''people'' did, and come on let's be honest here nobody think they are smart.)

This shit right here is exactly why people keep making fun of IGN.
They are so incredibly numb, shallow and impatient even compared to your average mainstream gamers, and they are always too quick to pass the judgement as if they think they know what they're talking about. It's sometimes funny to me how they take their own reviews seriously when clearly it's just amatuer level shit. Even YouTube reviewers like AngryJoe or Skill UP writes reviews that's more professional, insightful and informative.

IGN is the DSP Gaming of video game journalism. They are the ''There's no gun in the demo'' of video game critics.
It's also IGN's fault for having incompetent reviewers as default
IGN is harmful to the industry, they are literally a problem. Metacritic and Opencritic need to blacklist them.

Their poorly written reviews have been causing devs a great deal of distress over the decades. They are absolutely not professionals.

It's not the fact that they give controversial scores, that's totally fine, it's the fact that they literally don't know how to review a game and have to change the score all the time.
Exactly, IGN is a fucking problem to the industry.

Why would people do research when IGN clearly didn't bother either?
They probably still didn't know. It's IGN after all.
Oh I can totally see that he spends a lot of time at IGN.

This is what years of IGN will do to your brain, kids.
IGN reviewers didn't review it on their phone, they review it on a big TV.

A critic that can't handle criticism? Yep that's IGN.

The problem is that this keeps happening from IGN, they are literally hurting developers.
It's okay to remind people how shit IGN is.

This is to prevent people from thinking that it's all just a tiny mistake and IGN is much better than this, they are not.
Not if you're people trying to defend IGN and make it all seem like it's just a little mistake.
Assuming the people over at IGN can read of course.
No one is talking about ''gamer rise up'', we are talking about ''IGN step down''
What normal people see:
DxisaS1WwAgMW-V.jpg

What IGN see:
NiEB79n.png

What normal people see:
VUFIqHA.jpg

What IGN see:
DeKw8zT.png
Is IGN still hiring? lol
Whatever you say, IGN.

Did you apply for a job at IGN and get rejected or something

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Y'all have gone pretty far beyond just mocking at this point. Just down right fucking hateful garbage is all the last few pages have been.

What hateful garbage in the last few pages? receipts please.

At this point, those calling for blood as a result of this whole mistake is just embarrassing.

Who is calling for blood? I think the biggest problem this thread has is people reading the title, seeing the page count, and then coming in and talking to themselves.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Can anyone actually point out any hateful gamergator posts in here? I'm honestly wondering, I've only been intermittently following the thread. I feel like for every one actual bonehead calling for Daemon to be fired, there are at least 10 more pearl-clutching moralists decrying the senseless outrage and pleading for everyone to leave IGN alone.

I'm happy to admit I'm wrong, if there has been some actual hate message here, but I haven't seen any yet.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Nah, I'm just sick of their bullshit, they have been very unprofessional for the last few years and it's causing developers a great deal of distress.

I wouldn't even care if IGN is just some small name gaming site, but they are literally the biggest video game media outlet on the planet.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Can anyone actually point out any hateful gamergator posts in here? I'm honestly wondering, I've only been intermittently following the thread. I feel like for every one actual bonehead calling for Daemon to be fired, there are at least 10 more pearl-clutching moralists decrying the senseless outrage and pleading for everyone to leave IGN alone.

I'm happy to admit I'm wrong, if there has been some actual hate message here, but I haven't seen any yet.

I think the problem is the discussion is basically over; the writer messed up, apologized and edited accordingly (or tried to), and we all learned a lesson about double checking your work. But it's just gone on and on and on.

And the longer it goes in the more personally people take the arguments in this thread. It's really weird. IGN doesn't need to be defended and neither does the multi billion dollar corporation about to release a sure fire hit.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Alien Isolation didn't get a sequel because it didn't do well sales wise and came out not too long after the dumpster fire known as Aliens Colonial Marines.

I'd argue that IGN, Polygon, and Gamespot all giving it under a 6 affected sales. The best horror game ever made. Sub-6.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Damn, Blade Wolf must really dislike IGN. It's his business and his gripe I guess.

It's definitely my biggest gripe when it comes to the game industry, they've done a great job making video game journalism look bad.

Yes it does make me angry, and sometimes I do get obsessed wit them. I apologize folks. IGN just get on my nerve sometimes a lot of times.

EDIT:

I will be less angry and more rational with my criticism towards IGN going forward. I'm not proud of my angry posts either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I think the problem is the discussion is basically over; the writer messed up, apologized and edited accordingly (or tried to), and we all learned a lesson about double checking your work. But it's just gone on and on and on.

And the longer it goes in the more personally people take the arguments in this thread. It's really weird. IGN doesn't need to be defended and neither does the multi billion dollar corporation about to release a sure fire hit.
Yeah that makes sense. The thread is sort of collapsing in on itself.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
newmoneytrash Oh and may I have you take another look at this:

cs.png

So the first half of what you linked to reads like he started up 2nd Run and ran through what he could, mentioning what he found to be different.

Then the second half is taken straight from his initial mistaken review, so how could he have known that "Resident Evil 2 will be largely the same when you finish and switch to the other person's 2nd Game mode. Leon and Claire take extremely similar paths, meet most of the same people, solve most of the same puzzles, and fight most of the same bosses", by the time he wrote this he hadn't played through any B route so how did he know that?

It says the paragraph is inaccurate and is being revised yet it ended up mostly intact in the update, so he predicted what he would have a problem with in his future previously unknown attempt to rereview the game?

Or did he just quickly pretend to go through what he missed once it was brought to his attention, keeping the same criticisms of something he hadn't played yet?... Or as I said before spreading misinformation about the game to cover up his mistake?

Anyone feel free to jump on this, I'm sure someone can explain this better than I can.
Hey no offence but what are you actually talking about?

They paragraph *was* revised, and it now reflects how he felt about the game. You have absolutely no justification that he didn't play any of the game and is just pretending, especially when the revised review reflects that he did. You're just making up any claims to fit your narrative. There is no reason to assume he didn't play the game.

For someone who seems to be so concerned with the spreading of misinformation and says that don't care at all about IGN you seem to be making up *a lot* of shit about the reviewer to justify your anger at something that was fixed before you even knew about it.

Sep 14, 2018
User banned (1 day): trolling, hostility
Hey no offence but what are you actually talking about?

I'm sorry that self explanatory post was apparently too much for you. It seems I've been EXPOSED as an IGN HATER on a DISINFORMATION CAMPAIGN against this poor reviewer.

Please keep calling out this misguided rabid crusade. Looks like I'll get to try that ignore feature I keep hearing about.

Keep up the good fight, bless.

giphy.gif

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Holy fucking shit, this is some mad shade. This is the sort of post that will be linked on a reddit thread eight years from now when someone asks about what babies gamers can be when given unrestricted access to a keyboard.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is there a summary to the story so far?
The reviewer played both A stories for both characters instead of playing the B story second due to some confusing menu labels. He put the review up saying that there wasn't much difference between the two. People pointed out he didn't play the B campaign, so those sections were briefly crossed out of the review while he played through it, and IGN admitted the mistake and amended the review and the score.

I'm sorry that self explanatory post was apparently too much for you.
You post was self explanatory in how full of conjecture it was, that's about it. Multiple people in this thread have tried to tell you how you aren't viewing this fairly, and every time you have dug in your heels to needlessly try and slander the reviewer for """obviously""" pretending to play large parts of the game.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what you wrote here is more confusing than anything the game presents.

It's not my fault a mod just quoted it directly in the OP; I was hoping for a mod post/edit actually addressing the misinformation.

At the end of the game, it says you unlocked a "second run" scenario where things change and there's a new ending. He reasonably assumed that it was describing a second scenario for the same character he'd just played the story of, because when someone tells you "in this second scenario we've changed things", you expect it to be in comparison to what you already experienced, right? And, like, it's the second, so... what you just played now was the first. And you want to see both regular, first scenarios before you play this changed second scenario for either... so he went and played the first scenario version of Claire's story.

But, surprise, the "2nd run scenario" is actually a changed story for the other character. Nowhere on that screen or the main menu does it say that or explain how it works. And - for some bizarre reason - Capcom even said in advance that this didn't have scenarios that changed depending on the order like the original did.

Gamergate didn't just stop at sexist harassment, and it still exists in various forms.

A lot of the vilifying of journalism, the petty hatred and conspiracy theories, that kind of shit in this thread is at the very least bordering on their rhetoric.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
GG is a hate group, they say they want ethics in journalism but they were really just there to attack women and minorities and keeping the hobby for straight white dudes. What does any of that have to do with Daemon.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a summary to the story so far?

newmoneytrash was close but not perfect. He did also play (some of) Leon's B scenario. He just mistakenly repeated his misunderstanding in the review- that you had to play the A scenario of a character to unlock the B ("2nd run") scenario for the same character. In realty it unlocks it for the other character.

That keeps on giving ill informed self righteous hot takes no one cares about. It should probably just be closed at this point, if only to keep more people from embarrassing themselves.

lol

"If only to keep more people from embarrassing themselves", says the person who's repeatedly posted conspiracy theories. And is now posting outright spam when people question that. Nice.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not just small dialogue, they have different playstyles and supporting characters, but the major story beats are the same.

Say you start a new game, let's call this scenario "A", once you're done with this, you unlock an option called 2nd Run, let's call this scenario "B", this one will show you what the other character was up to during A since they happen at the same time.

In the original there's 2 As and 2 Bs, this time they were sort of fused together (so 1 A and 1 B) to streamline the game and make the whole thing more cohesive, cause the original has some pretty major differences between them.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a mistake that is quickly corrected, just the lying and trying to downplay the content he missed. We're getting to the point where people are gonna have to actually read the thread and stop coming in with their hot takes.

Hot takes? Are you for real? I've read every word of this thread and stand by every word of my post.

Sep 14, 2018
"If only to keep more people from embarrassing themselves", says the person who's repeatedly posted conspiracy theories. And is now posting outright spam when people question that. Nice.

So criticism of this reviewer is akin to conspiracy theories and gamergate rhetoric, I didn't know this was an exalted person by some people here, I honestly don't know anything about him, maybe that's why he can't be criticized...

And it's beyond offensive you compare criticism of a self admittedly wrong and incomplete review to what gamergate did to people. You're disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yeah, people are getting nasty in here, yikes.

It's a bit surprising to see how IGN can elicit such a strong response from people like this. What I think about this whole situation is just it's a bit silly and not a big deal, but people actually arguing with full emotional force for something like he should be fired, IGN must be purged, etc etc, woah.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Oooh how many other games need to be re-reviewed? and not just at IGN neither

I somehow doubt this is the first time something like this has happened, I'm talking about more like a half assed review rather than someone missing a chunk of a game.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So criticism of this reviewer is akin to conspiracy theories and gamergate rhetoric, I didn't know this was an exalted person by some people here, I honestly don't know anything about him, maybe that's why he can't be criticized...

And it's beyond offensive you compare criticism of a self admittedly wrong and incomplete review to what gamergate did to people. You're disgusting.

When did I say you, in particular, were like a gamergater?

Honestly, you have to be a troll at this point. Multiple people, me included, have explained why your stance on the edited review is ridiculous. Do you think this stuff "~whoo he must be special~" nonsense is even close to some sort of actual argument?

This is the part that seems weird to me. I don't see why anyone would do that.

Also, the game specifically tells you upon completion to play the 2nd Run, yet he decided to just select regular New Game instead.

Because he thought it was Leon's 2nd run. He did not think he had access to Claire's 2nd run. That's the key bit.

Between:
1. Immediately playing Leon's scenario again, with a new ending and some changes.
2. Playing Claire's scenario.

He picked option 2.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hell after the Ace Combat 7 review and now the Resident Evil 2 remake review, both within the same month, makes you wonder how much pressure these guys are under to get reviews out.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Imagine if you made a mistake at work and got countless people harassing you on Twitter, a 37 page thread on a message board and countless 10:05 videos talking about that mistake.

There are times when this is valid. Sexual harassment, plagiarism, etc. Daemon made a mistake and corrected it. Everything will be okay. The game will still sell well.

Resetera's hivemind mentality is fine with things like social politics. A left-leaning forum is good. No discrimination or bigotry. But the hivemind hurts with issues like this. Resetera hates IGN, so any excuse to tear them down will be taken happily, and those who disagree will be dogpiled.

It doesn't help that after listening to Game Scoop and Knockin' Boots (Daemon's old relationship advice podcast), Daemon is a truly passionate and kind-hearted person.

This dogpiling sucks. It reminds me of when I would be picked on in high school and other kids would jump in just because they could.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Let's be better to each other. It's a video game. It's 0.2 points. It'll be okay. Promise.

Era FAQ reminder about journalists

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Remember this part of our FAQ:
The same goes for people who are covering the video games industry: vilifying an entire media outlet for any reason is typically unhelpful. It is crucial to understand that these people share a similar high passion for this hobby as you do and try their best to do their jobs. These outlets are not monoliths but groups of people that keep changing over the years. None of them are perfect and while reasoned discussion is always welcome, try to refrain from dismissing a website or magazine for petty reasons.
Mistakes happen in all forms of media, and this one was corrected. We can be critical without being disrespectful.