• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you want to see next for Resident Evil?

• Suplex

Votes: 73 36.7%
  • Powerbomb

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Neck Breaker

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Tiger Uppercut

Votes: 78 39.2%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
EB5oNM-XUAc0g7o

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/13/should-the-new-resident-evil-be-a-sequel-or-a-remake

John Borba: I'll admit that the idea of a Resident Evil 3 remake is incredibly appealing, but I'm also excited as the prospect of taking many of the lessons learned and venturing into uncharted territory. I do think that many of my criticisms of Resident Evil 7 can be attributed to it abandoning much of the characters, story, puzzles, and setting we've come to know in a Resident Evil game.

A new chapter in the series will be formed after the success of Resident Evil 2, with Capcom fully recognizing the importance of Raccoon City, its beloved cast of characters, and the frailty of humanity in these spectacularly terrifying circumstances. I would hope that a sequel would serve that lore again after being reminded how much of this series is built upon its foundation.

Matt Kim: Fair enough. I still think Capcom can innovate while working with an existing canvas, but either way, Capcom has been on a winning streak with Resident Evil as of late. Both Resident Evil 7, and the Resident Evil 2 remake have been, I think, home-runs. So whatever's next for the series I'm sure Capcom has a good direction for it.

For IGN themselves, the conversation seems split down the middle (Even though they all want to see CVX remade). Seems similar to the ideas that have been posted here, which follow the same trend.

Personally, i'm on the side of a remake. This late in the game, something like RE8 should wait for next-gen to take full advantage of upcoming hardware for whatever they're envisioning. Resident Evil 6 had a lot of faults and part of them was performance from being on last-gen rather than waiting for the next jump a year later. RE3make as a whole seems like something that would perfectly fit as as cross-gen. Since you'd be able to reuse certain aspects of RE2 while still being unique (Much like the original RE3).

We'll probably get our answer this year on what's next. Can't imagine word doesn't get out on those Ambassador Tests (Which happen before and after TGS), so i'd imagine we see something at TGS so they can prevent that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They just stumbled into a really good gameplay formula with RE2 Remake.
Remaking Nemesis and Code Veronica in that style while they are preparing for a next gen RE8 is a no brainer.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Remake. Capcom seems unable to recapture the magic of the series with the newer entries.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sequel. RE7 was fantastic. REmake2 was fantastic. They know what they're doing.

REmake 2 just came out. Time for RE8.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
REmake 2 was so good, I'd really like to see REmake 3 next.

I have been playing the original RE3 recently, and I want to explore a more realistic looking Raccoon City with new areas, monsters and an even more menacing Nemesis.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a Resident Evil style game with dinosaurs... wait no that sounds terrible, I guess just give me RE8.

/s about the dinosaurs

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously I prefer a remake of 3 but I wouldn't be mad at a sequel. Just give me another protagonist other than Chris or Leon.

Also, I refuse to vote on that poll. :p

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
R3make. Raccoon City is the best location in the series and I finally wanna see a game that lets us explore it on a higher scale.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I mean the most logical way would be alternating between remakes and new games, so RE8 next would make sense, followed by a RE3 remake.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I loved both RE7 and REmake 2. I honestly don't mind at all whether we get RE8 or REmake 3 next. I haven't kept up with any development news, but I half-assumed we'd see RE8 next in 2021 and REmake 3 another two years after that. I'm in no rush either way.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I didn't play RE3 so I'm with R3make. I also like slow zombies not those Majinis or whatever came after RE4

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Sequel. RE 8 was likely in some form of production after RE 7 finished development, and RE 2 Remake shipped back in January. Release RE 8, and then after that, RE 3 Remake can release. They can alternate like this for awhile, though I don't see a RE 4 Remake happening for quite some time.

Also, why are 90% of ResetEra poll options sarcastic? There is a topic question, and the poll answers either don't relate directly to the title's topic question, or there's some weird third answer that wins because it's supposed to be funny.

I actually want to vote on the topic and see people's answers.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sequel. RE 8 was likely in some form of production after RE 7 finished development, and RE 2 Remake shipped back in January. Release RE 8, and then after that, RE 3 Remake can release. They can alternate like this for awhile, though I don't see a RE 4 Remake happening for quite some time.

Also, why are 90% of ResetEra poll options sarcastic? There is a topic question, and the poll answers either don't relate directly to the title's topic question, or there's some weird third answer that wins because it's supposed to be funny.

I actually want to vote on the topic and see people's answers.

In this particular case, the poll you're wanting was essentially already made

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
RE2 Remake was near perfect. Use the same engine, camera, pace, and have a new setting and make a sequel.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The story has gone completely off the rails since 6 so just give me RE3make with expanded lore, linear-open Raccoon City and the most intimidating stalker character since the xenomorph in Alien Isolation and we're good.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would go with Sequel -> Remake -> Spin-off route. That way RE stays fresh and enough time is given to each iteration.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be happy with a new game in the vain of RE7, I loooooved that game and would absolutely go for another in that style.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
RE8 VR please, bring back the original characters if needed(I'd love to have them back too), but please continue the story of Ethan, I still believe he knew more than what we were told in 7.

But the main most important point is bring back zombies :) Molded are dead anyway

Oct 27, 2017
Give me REmake 3 and save Resi 8 for next gen. REmake 2 was so damn good that I'm happy to see more in that style for now.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you have bad taste, Jaw, but I ain't voting in that poll because it reminds me of the shitty action games :P

On a serious note, RE2 2019 was literal perfection of the survival horror genre so I don't mind if RE8 or RE3make comes first. Although initially I had hoped RE8 would be out first, rumors are RE3make is further along in development, so eh, can't hurt either way. Just one more great mainline RE game to close out the generation and I'm more than happy

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I came to vote for sequel but the poll choices confused me. Remake can happen anytime, why would someone trade for a new thing vs a remake.

Capcom been doing great so we should have high hopes for the sequel too.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If RE3 Remake then that.

If not, sequel starring Jill.

Cancel anything first person that not a light gun shooter.