• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Sounded alright to me.
Still....most likely going to skip this movie in the theater.

I'm just hoping Lion King is great

easter

Nov 15, 2017
So bad. Not feeling any of it and the music sounds bad. It's part men in black with the uh huh uh huh and the feel just doesn't seem Disney ish.

Disclaimer: I adore Aladdin.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good, and thats the problem. Will can't sing, and there is a ton of autotune going on. And like someone else said it looks cheap yet its not. There is no energy in this film at all.

Honestly I was surprised too. Not like Robin Williams was some great singer but man this dude is Will Smith. It doesn't sound like Smith is even straining his voice at all and they still had to autotune him for some mundane shit. He can't sing at all.

Frankly, Disney should go back to dubbing in real singers over the actors like they used to do in the past. Not sure how, when or why did this stop being a thing.

Instead we're forced to suffer garbage like Emma Watson sounding like a robot

FUCK thats bad. And yeah just bring back dubbing in singers.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Ok why is that horrible?

To me personally the Will Smithisms or modern filler in the song like, "where you at ladies," weren't welcome. Will's Singing itself was not good and sounded flat and emotionless. The spectacle that was Prince Ali's parade was lacking, like when all Will Smith did when singing the lyric about Ali's strength was a lame little flex. The good news is this clearly isnt for me. I was never throwing money at this to begin with.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Only thing fantastical in that one minute snippet were the ostriches, and even those were probably just borrowed assets from The Lion King...

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to think of what it was reminding me of then I I just remembered.

It looks like a Carnival Cruise commercial

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just that this has none of the energy of the animated version, but that the choreography and editing themselves are so. Fucking. Boring.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched it:

To start, the big "Prince Ali! Fabulous, he!" start is a medium shot of Will Smith throwing some green glitter, then a wide cut where the action is in the distant background, and it's nothing special except a small tapestry unfurling. Then, the camera barely moves except for a slow panning in where Will Smith barely moves, and maybe I'm having audio/sync issues, but the cutting isn't even on actions or beats. In fact, Will Smith barely moves at all and the camera barely moves at all. This is just boring, and that's the clip, a big sequences of a big song, and nothing much happens. Again, eh. It's not incompetent, it's just there.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
It looks like they're in a movie set. I mean, yeah they are in a movie set but it shouldn't look that way!

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Weak energy
Poor singing
Uninspired costuming
Weak choreography (people just standing around or quick shots showing one movement or person's face)

Looks as boring, milquetoast, and forgettable as the live action versions of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast.

These things play like high school productions with a budget. They lack the personality of the source material.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's not just that this has none of the energy of the animated erosion, but hay the choreography and editing themselves are so. Fucking. Boring.

It's so true. Like, the actual Broadway performance is both a lot more technical and you can actually see it because there aren't as many obnoxious camera cuts. I have no idea what they're trying to do here.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing fantastical in that one minute snippet were the ostriches, and even those were probably just borrowed assets from The Lion King...
lol
So this:
3-1511356231.gif

But in CGI? :V

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's shot and edited like a TV-broadcasted parade from a World Cup inauguration... Not very interesting to look at.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a Disneyland Parade.

Come to think of it I've seen those and they're better.

This has to be the worst movie idea since Battlefield Earth.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So bad. Not feeling any of it and the music sounds bad. It's part men in black with the uh huh uh huh and the feel just doesn't seem Disney ish.

Disclaimer: I adore Aladdin.
Agree. Will Smith singing seems off like he is trying to sing in an r&b joint. "Whoooo!" "Uh huh uh huh" , "hey ladies" ... like this shit doesn't belong in friggin Aladdin no offense to Will. Love Big Will Style album. This though, this ain't it man.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No one element stood out as being awful, but all the lackluster stuff just adds up into a big unappealing sum of a movie.
Sure it'll make Disney lots of money though.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit that's bad. Maybe even worse than I expected, and I expected horrible. The explosive energy from the original is completely gone. Just sounds like Will Smith singing Price Ali but didn't actually understand why it was being sung. And the whole set piece is unbelievably flat. It looks like a big number in a lame broadway show. And it's filmed like that, as the camera work is as boring as they come too.

God everything about this movie makes me so angry. I rightly assumed it would be pointless and terrible just like Beauty and the Beast, but I still wouldn't have stuck completely in my bias if they showed me something, fucking ANYTHING, that looked good or at least felt like it had purpose for existing besides making money. Aladdin is probably my favorite Disney 2d animated film, so if they could translate some of in a neat way so I could see it from another perspective, I wouldn't be completely opposed to maybe having at least a scene or two of some fun.

Fucking nothing about any of this movie that they've shown shows any promise.

Last edited:

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Will Smith genie has no right to reference famous Will Smith rap stylings in the remake of Aladdin where the Robin Williams genie traditionally referenced famous Robin Williams impressions of Jack Nicholson, the Marx Bros, Peter Lorre, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rodney Dangerfield, Cab Calloway, Travis Bickle, Arsenio Hall, Pinocchio, Ed Sullivan and ... Robin Williams.

They are corrupting the integrity and spirit of this film!

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The Will Smith genie has no right to reference famous Will Smith rap stylings in the remake of Aladdin where the Robin Williams genie traditionally referenced famous Robin Williams impressions of Jack Nicholson, the Marx Bros, Peter Lorre, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rodney Dangerfield, Cab Calloway, Travis Bickle, Arsenio Hall, Pinocchio, Ed Sullivan and ... Robin Williams.

They are corrupting the integrity and spirit of this film!

If anything, a good director would have and should have tailored the number to Smith's specific strengths far more. Those "uhs" weren't cutting it.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
Jeez, no wonder the actor playing Aladdin has the same sour, dazed look on his face in every scene. I would too if I were the star of this movie.

Mar 18, 2019
Really wish there would be some silver lining people keep in mind about a movie like this being made. Good or bad, some of us of middle eastern descent want to see this succeed so we can normalize middle eastern characters on screen in a positive light more often than not and have them be portrayed by Arab actors.

I'm not asking to force themselves to like this or not shit on it, but as an Arab American myself, I just wanted to throw another angle on all of this

Also, many of us are excited for and familiar with the Bollywood productions on display here. This was a ballsy move and one that was really never not going to get made fun of my any American (watch any number of Bollywood movie trailers and just think of how many Era Threads would get created around them much like Aladdin does)

Carry on
Interesting post. The responses I've seen from people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage seems quite positive so far. Whereas most of the negative responses are from people who aren't from those backgrounds.

I can see why Aladdin would mean a lot to people of Arab heritage, since they don't really have any other positive representation in Hollywood. Besides Aladdin, over 90% of Arabs in Hollywood are bad guys.

I'm thinking Aladdin could potentially have a similar effect as Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians, with a high turnout of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian audiences at the box office.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
Looks like they threw a bunch of different Asian cultures in the blender and called it Arabia. The original was like that, but this seems a little more bold with actual people. This is like the movie version of when someone guesses where I'm from incorrectly, and then says "Ah, it's all the same" when they find out they're wrong.
Technically, it's a fictional place called Agrabah. But it seems to be mainly inspired by classical Baghdad during the Islamic Golden Age. Classical Baghdad was a large, diverse, multicultural city in its heyday, with over a million people, including Arabs, Persians, Turks, Indians, Africans, Greeks, Chinese, etc. They might be trying to capture some of that diversity in the movie.

Last edited:

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Really wish there would be some silver lining people keep in mind about a movie like this being made. Good or bad, some of us of middle eastern descent want to see this succeed so we can normalize middle eastern characters on screen in a positive light more often than not and have them be portrayed by Arab actors.

I'm not asking to force themselves to like this or not shit on it, but as an Arab American myself, I just wanted to throw another angle on all of this

Also, many of us are excited for and familiar with the Bollywood productions on display here. This was a ballsy move and one that was really never not going to get made fun of my any American (watch any number of Bollywood movie trailers and just think of how many Era Threads would get created around them much like Aladdin does)

Carry on

Thanks for posting this. I feel the same way, but wasn't sure if it was worth posting that thought or opinion, but I'm glad you did.

Mar 18, 2019
I don't have time or bandwidth to be mad about it but I am legit surprised to find out Will Smith can't sing. I guess I just assumed he was a triple threat.
He's not a singer. He's a rapper. But it sounds like he was trying to do some kind of rap-singing in that scene. I actually would've preferred if he just went all-out rapping.

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'd like to know? It looks good enough me. It just seems like people are looking for excuses to hate on the movie.
Some of the animated stuff shouldn't be too hard to translate to live action but its like they didn't push at all.
I mean
2_Aladdin_Prince_Ali4.jpg

SnIWQaR.jpg

its just so underwhelming

For Genie/Will its really missing the energy of stuff like

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. Isn't this being directed by Guy Richie? He makes kinda bad movies a lot of the time, but they are bad movies with fucking energy. This is just static as hell and nowhere near his style.

Vonboyage

Feb 23, 2019
As someone who went to see the Aladdin musical last night, yeah this isn't it chief.

THAT will be the only Aladdin I see this year.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just where are the sweeping shots of the parade, the crane shots showing how grandiose it is. Anything at all besides these shots from the waist up.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Weak energy
Poor singing
Uninspired costuming
Weak choreography (people just standing around or quick shots showing one movement or person's face)

Looks as boring, milquetoast, and forgettable as the live action versions of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast.

These things play like high school productions with a budget. They lack the personality of the source material.
Cinderella actually had decent choreography and camerawork, and excellent costume design, thanks to Kenneth Branagh directing it. It doesnt deserve to be lumped in with the other two.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
He's not a singer. He's a rapper. But it sounds like he was trying to do some kind of rap-singing in that scene. I actually would've preferred if he just went all-out rapping.

How are they so bad at this? It's like The Aristocrats lol

I don't understand. Isn't this being directed by Guy Richie? He makes kinda bad movies a lot of the time, but they are bad movies with fucking energy. This is just static as hell and nowhere near his style.

Dude's gotta be financially in bad shape or he's doing someone a favour. King Arthur was a bad movie but you could tell Ritchie was passionate about the material. Third option is they ran out of money.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Why are they randomly changing arbitrary lyrics? From Sunday to Friday and then also moving around when genuflect is said. To someone who loves the original performance it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Yeah those really stuck out to me. It was a big problem I had with Beauty and The Beast too, songs had these odd minor changes throughout that added nothing for no reason.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Many of the live action remakes are becoming just a cash in by Disney and it shows. They've been progressing lower in quality (with a few surprises). This one in particular looks like it may be a mess.

It feels like a made for tv event you used to see over a decade ago.... and I hate saying that because some of the fantasy made for TV movies were pretty good given the budget and resources.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I never thought I'd say this, but stick some auto-tune on the guy, for god's sake. He cannot sing a note.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its weird,
Friend Like Me actually looks like they are making an expensive movie while Prince Ali looks looks like a cheap musical or something
It feels all over the place. And I just don't know how it got to this point considering the source material, the amazing cover songs on Disney's own We Love Disney YouTube channel, and the broadway musicals.

Also funnily, watching the video at 1.25x helps bring some energy back into the song. I don't know why they slowed the song down when it's meant to be very upbeat, festive. I mean, a prince is rolling into town looking to impress the princess of the sultan, you go big or go home. BPM is one thing though, it's still missing so much more.