• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

tn_1235245586270.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm impressed at how well Disney has been managing to strip out all expression and nuance from the original animated works these live-action and CGI films are direct inspiration from. I want to get 3 bottles of charles shaw and channel the spirit of lindsay ellis just watching this bullshit

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's not awful as I thought it would look, but it's still very much a poor imitation of the real thing. Though hearing Will Smith sing in a movie makes me nostalgic for his rapping days.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already commented on it elsewhere, but man... It's just not good. His held notes are flat, the orchestration sounds plain boring and lacks any kind of energy, no bombastic moments to the track to speak of. The shots they chose for this scene are also boring to look at.

Bonus: They keep in the jokey parts of the song where Robin Williams makes funny voices because he is supposed to be changing into different people in the crowd to hype them up. It's sung so straight.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In a just world, this will bomb so hard Disney thinks long and hard about future remakes and Guy Ritchie never gets to direct a blockbuster again.

Instead, it'll probably make a billion...

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the new Lion King look so good, and this so shitty and unwatchable?

Like at no point, did anyone ask themselves "I think our movie is shaping up to be a massive turd."? It looks like it has a huge budget, yet somehow projects the feel of a STV sequel to a obscure 90s movie now starring a washed up wrestler or something.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish they would do a slightly different take on it rather than making it so similar to the original sequence.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the new Lion King look so good, and this so shitty and unwatchable?

Like at no point, did anyone ask themselves "I think our movie is shaping up to be a massive turd."? It looks like it has a huge budget, yet somehow projects the feel of a STV sequel to a obscure 90s movie now starring a washed up wrestler or something.

because The Lion King is still "animated" technically, and Alladin is live action, thus losing all the charm the animated version had?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sets and costume feel like they're straight out of that crappy Prince of Persia movie from a few years back.

Just bland and generic as hell.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because The Lion King is still "animated" technically, and Alladin is live action, thus losing all the charm the animated version had?
Yeah I get that, but...like even if everything was stylized CG, it'd still come off as the living, breathing imbodiment of autotune but as a Disney film, you know? Like I can smell it's lack of soul. It's like staring into an empty peanut shell, except you realize there was never a peanut in there. Only greed, madness, and emptiness.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Live action can't capture the creativity of animation?
Really makes you think.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smith can't sing. Weird expressions and poor acting from everyone else. Somehow the set looks really cheap. The directing is so static and bland, especially when this is supposed to be a song about Aladdin's richness and him showing off to the Jasmine
Yeah, essentially Aladdin's BIG moment to impress. So they go all out on the image that Aladdin is a highly respectable, highly trained warrior, very muscular despite appearance, very handsome, and a very rich Prince all rolled into one.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The original is more vibrant, action packed, exciting, and better performed. There is no creative reason for this to exist whatsoever.

Disney chasing that hundy mil tho.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i've always loved will smith but he has like 5% of the energy Robin Williams brought to the role :(

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
it somehow looks cheap despite definitely not being cheap.
This is definitely a good way to put it. There was almost no energy in the directing so you're really just looking at the equivalent of a marching band. I'd rather Will have shaken things up, stepped out of Robin Williams shadow and turned the song into a semi-rap so the comparison wasn't so stark.