• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The billionaires did it
tenor.gif

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter saw the trailer the other day and I will echo her sentiments...gross.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Its not as bad as people are making out. Not that trailer anyway.

But i have not seen the film and neither have uo:). Not that i care. I thought Aladdin was shit when it first came out lol.

I don't know which trailer you're referring to but the Tiny Spoons scene is atrocious in any movie, even as someone who likes that kind of shitty awkward stutter comedy it looked horrible. And you're right that I haven't seen it, I said I wasn't passing judgement on the flick until I saw it? I'm judging the released marketing material, which is kind of the point of marketing material - to make a judgement on if we want to go see a movie or not. The movie itself could still be good and the marketing is just fucking awful, it's not like that would be a first for a Disney movie.

It's fine you didn't like the original but I don't know what that has to do with being able to see that this movie, from what they have officially released, looks like garbage. As I said it could be in a vacuum and the original animated movie could straight up not exist and this would still look bad: ignoring the cartoon and just going off this being a new take on the Aladdin legend we're supposed to be seeing a story filled with magic and wonder so where is it? The introduction to Prince Ali has Aladdin looking like he'd rather be anywhere else instead of trying to sell this lie to win the heart of a princess. The singing is flat and lifeless across the three songs they've sampled. There doesn't appear to be much if any chemistry between the lead and his love interest (again, the lead doesn't even look like he wants to have any part of what's going on), the bad guy doesn't come across as menacing at all but maybe they're doing something with that and he'll have a slightly different role than what we'd expect. Will Smith appears to be the only person having fun being in an Aladdin movie.

That's judging what the clips show, it doesn't take a flying leap to assume the rest of the movie might also be like the shit they're putting in the trailers but again, I'm reserving final judgement on the full movie until I actually see the full movie. I have A-List so my ass is gonna be in a seat watching it when it's out, and I'm totally open to it actually being a good movie in its own right, faithful adaptation of the cartoon or not. I've enjoyed some genuinely terrible movies before, all that matters to me is if I have a fun watching it. But the marketing isn't helping it and the reactions are in line with that - barring some of the completely ridiculous call outs for Disney to shutter their live action division of course. C'mon folks.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's worse than I thought it would be.

No energy or excitement whatsoever.

Terrible. Simply terrible.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Looks good to me. Y'all need to stop being so entitled to an 90's animated movie to this which will have its own style. Kids growing to see this may say this is there favorite movie

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't understand these statements

Either kids already care about Aladdin or they don't.

Either they've seen the original or they haven't.

If they have seen it, this remake looks weird.

If they haven't, then they have no reason to care about Aladdin in the first place.

Dumbo 2019 underperformed. Detective Pikachu is underpermorming. Why should this do better?

Ohhh, wait..... because parents remember watching Aladdin as kids and if there's one thing we know parents love, it's forcing their children to relive their fond childhood memories of media that was important to said parents.

So, I say to you, this is aimed at us old bastards.
I just meant we aren't the target market anymore so it isn't really for our enjoyment. But you're probably right.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea what you were talking about but I hate this movie even more now

"Yam Jams! ...Al-Bab? No, it's a Qudsaya expression"
I'm convinced that Will Smith isn't even acting in that scene, he's just genuinely uncomfortable being part of it. I love the "make you a prince" scene though, the delivery of "HEY Y'ALL SEEN MY PALACE" makes me laugh every time

There's just so little soul and excitement in what they've shown. The comments of "This looks really cheap for how expensive it was" are spot on, I still can't really get over the Cave of Wonders being a hole in the wall where the light just flicks on like someone hastily flipped a switch. Like, the word wonder is in the fucking name of the place, come on

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cosplay has gone too far.

But honestly, I have seen better cosplays than whatever the fuck those guys are wearing.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
What did they do to the Prince Ali outfit. It looked so cool in the animated movie...

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a superbowl commercial. Hope this movie bombs at the BO so Disney takes a fuckin break from live-actioning all their animated movies.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know which trailer you're referring to but the Tiny Spoons scene is atrocious in any movie, even as someone who likes that kind of shitty awkward stutter comedy it looked horrible. And you're right that I haven't seen it, I said I wasn't passing judgement on the flick until I saw it? I'm judging the released marketing material, which is kind of the point of marketing material - to make a judgement on if we want to go see a movie or not. The movie itself could still be good and the marketing is just fucking awful, it's not like that would be a first for a Disney movie.

It's fine you didn't like the original but I don't know what that has to do with being able to see that this movie, from what they have officially released, looks like garbage. As I said it could be in a vacuum and the original animated movie could straight up not exist and this would still look bad: ignoring the cartoon and just going off this being a new take on the Aladdin legend we're supposed to be seeing a story filled with magic and wonder so where is it? The introduction to Prince Ali has Aladdin looking like he'd rather be anywhere else instead of trying to sell this lie to win the heart of a princess. The singing is flat and lifeless across the three songs they've sampled. There doesn't appear to be much if any chemistry between the lead and his love interest (again, the lead doesn't even look like he wants to have any part of what's going on), the bad guy doesn't come across as menacing at all but maybe they're doing something with that and he'll have a slightly different role than what we'd expect. Will Smith appears to be the only person having fun being in an Aladdin movie.

That's judging what the clips show, it doesn't take a flying leap to assume the rest of the movie might also be like the shit they're putting in the trailers but again, I'm reserving final judgement on the full movie until I actually see the full movie. I have A-List so my ass is gonna be in a seat watching it when it's out, and I'm totally open to it actually being a good movie in its own right, faithful adaptation of the cartoon or not. I've enjoyed some genuinely terrible movies before, all that matters to me is if I have a fun watching it. But the marketing isn't helping it and the reactions are in line with that - barring some of the completely ridiculous call outs for Disney to shutter their live action division of course. C'mon folks.

Thats ok.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
People saying it was made for kids when the animated version exists. Hold me.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Holy hell, that`s awful. And this is coming from someone who`s never seen the original animated movie.

Will Smith is terribad in the role, his singing is flat and the whole scene lacks energy.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Will Smith going for The Rock's talk-singing approach.

DJ Jazzy Jeff would barely recognize that man.

tumblr_mlf5cwOqYT1qfrkf9o2_250.gif

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it wasn't bad.

Though it's really lacking in energy and spirit compared to the original

Watching them side by side, it becomes really obvious:

It also, oddly enough, highlights how limited they are in a live action setting compared to an animated one. Genie can't turn into all of those funny characters, the setting remains stagnant, and there's really not much going on.

It becomes much more generic as a result.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Wow, that is some non-Disney theme park-level entertainment.

I always figured a live-action version of this sequence would be like a bombastic, cheesy, energetic, over-the-top Vegas production.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Holy hell, that`s awful. And this is coming from someone who`s never seen the original animated movie.

Will Smith is terribad in the role, his singing is flat and the whole scene lacks energy.

You are holding yourself back from one of the best animated movies ever. Robin Williams destroys his role.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The Prince Ali song totally lacks all the verve and spectacle of the animated version

I know it's hard to live up to Robin Williams' manic energy but damn, this just feels SO flat

Genie can't turn into all of those funny characters, the setting remains stagnant, and there's really not much going on.

They could, but I guess they either wanted to go a different direction or not spend the money on the CG it would require.

This scene is also missing some more distant shots to show how big this spectacle is, from this clip it looks like it's taking place on a big set as opposed to in the middle of a big city

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Man if Robin was still alive I really would have hoped he would have been in the role.

This movie looks like a broadway version of Aladdin. It looks off.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
lol that seemed like everything was really... restrained? Tired?

Just none of the shine and excitement of the original. What a fuckin weird remake...

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Atrocious" is hyperbolic.

But yeah, it ain't good either.

I really hope Lion King doesn't disappoint. Actually looking forward to that one.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I feel like Nathan Lane would have been a good choice for Genie (despite having already voiced Timon)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Holy fuck this looks terrible. The autotune sounds bad and Will Smith seems deflated and bored in comparison with Williams' performance. Aladdin looks bad too and it's concerning that we've heard almost nothing out of his mouth.

Lost a lot of hype.

Some interesting visuals and choreography on the ground but this feels like a train that is progressively speeding towards derail.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Death created time to grow the things it would kill.

This will be eviscerated from the universe one day. Maybe not next year, maybe not for another unvigintillion...but some day it will disappear. Like all things.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The film looks so weird, like a theatre production, really doesn't seem like a film. It's so flat.

All these Disney live action films have left me non pulsed.