• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
You know... I think if they lean in hard to being self aware with how ridiculous this whole movie is... it just might be decent. I think it was pretty hilarious - like it's trying to be Bollywood but doesn't quite get there. I don't even see any other way they could go about it really if you must have that song scene.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no energy in the music. All the delivery is flat. There's hardly any glitz to the whole parade. And the set looks completely empty.

It looks like a prototype rehearsal for a play, before all the set pieces, choreography, and extras are ironed out.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they threw a bunch of different Asian cultures in the blender and called it Arabia. The original was like that, but this seems a little more bold with actual people. This is like the movie version of when someone guesses where I'm from incorrectly, and then says "Ah, it's all the same" when they find out they're wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
So why is Genie simply strolling down the street singing, instead of transforming into random people in the crowd to get people to buy into Prince Ali? He's still singing the parts that are from those sequences! Why is this Genie so non-magical?

Edit: WHY ARE THE GOLDEN CAMELS SO TINY, THAT ISN'T IMPRESSIVE!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Honestly, it wasn't bad.

Though it's really lacking in energy and spirit compared to the original

Watching them side by side, it becomes really obvious:

It also, oddly enough, highlights how limited they are in a live action setting compared to an animated one. Genie can't turn into all of those funny characters, the setting remains stagnant, and there's really not much going on.

It becomes much more generic as a result.

That's not just a "live action" thing, they could have made a more stylized movie that would allow for all the crazy & zany things Genie does in the animation. But it's a combination of them deciding all these remake movies need to be more realistic and it's just the pure fact that Will Smith probably could not pull off those breaks in character as well as Robin Williams did.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not just a "live action" thing, they could have made a more stylized movie that would allow for all the crazy & zany things Genie does in the animation. But it's a combination of them deciding all these remake movies need to be more realistic and it's just the pure fact that Will Smith probably could not pull off those breaks in character as well as Robin Williams did.

Now I'm picturing a universe where Edgar Wright directed this movie.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The Broadway Genie is amazing. And I also really like the guy that used to play Aladdin on there.

The dude just exudes charisma, and this cover is just fun as hell hah.

Everyone saying "eh this is fine, dont get why people say its bad"...just listen to this dude on yt. This is like 100× better and what it should have been like.

Nov 30, 2018
Lol people hate on anything

Robin wanted nothing to do with Aladdin at the time so why are people pretending he's some messiah

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The clip looked.. fine. Though it does look like they filmed it in the agraba section of Disneyland. Beauty and the beast looked cheap too though.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
With every new tv spot the movie looks better and better tbh. I like the in camera Bollywood vibe of their dance numbers. The vitriol this movie is getting seems a bit overblown.

This trailer is nice.

I think the clip in the OP encapsulates the original fine, just with a Will Smith twist. The lighting does look off, though I would say that is consistent in everything I've seen.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You have all this money and it looks like you had to film a parade at Disney world.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It....doesn't sound right without the old man "he faced the galloping hordes" line.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With every new tv spot the movie looks better and better tbh. I like the in camera Bollywood vibe of their dance numbers. The vitriol this movie is getting seems a bit overblown.

Will Smith will never look good in CGI in this movie but this TV spot (and others like it) makes things actually look pretty good.

The complete opposite of the vibe in the OT video

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Robin wanted nothing to do with Aladdin at the time so why are people pretending he's some messiah

Wasn't that mainly because he'd agreed to do the role at standard rate if Disney didn't use him in advertising? And then they did and he was like FUCK YOU GUYS I'M OUTTA HERE and then Disney was like WELL GUESS WE GOTTA GO TALK TO HOMER SIMPSON

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
Keep sucking the fun and energy out of your classics Disney, you really found yourself a new talent with that.

God, I'm sorry, I know I'm being hyperbolic here, but I hate this live action trend so much.

Oct 26, 2017
Really wish there would be some silver lining people keep in mind about a movie like this being made. Good or bad, some of us of middle eastern descent want to see this succeed so we can normalize middle eastern characters on screen in a positive light more often than not and have them be portrayed by Arab actors.

I'm not asking to force themselves to like this or not shit on it, but as an Arab American myself, I just wanted to throw another angle on all of this

Also, many of us are excited for and familiar with the Bollywood productions on display here. This was a ballsy move and one that was really never not going to get made fun of my any American (watch any number of Bollywood movie trailers and just think of how many Era Threads would get created around them much like Aladdin does)

Carry on

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It just lacks any oomph or passion it feels like. Like Will Smith was either given awful direction or just going through the motion.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm a little surprised by the lack of energy, both in terms of the action happening and how it's been shot. It looks almost like a 90s music video; lots of dull, ground-level shots of the action from the same front-on angle.

It feels like they could've made it a lot more exciting than this, even if they can't match the original.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Broadway Genie is amazing. And I also really like the guy that used to play Aladdin on there.

The dude just exudes charisma, and this cover is just fun as hell hah.

Watched a few of these and they're great, wow. Really highlights what's missing from the clip, I think.

Edit: Oh gosh, it's on Spotify too.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time or bandwidth to be mad about it but I am legit surprised to find out Will Smith can't sing. I guess I just assumed he was a triple threat.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will Smith sounds super bored singing the song.

The sequence lacks all the energy and extravagance of the original. The point of the Genie transforming into a bunch of different people was to try and make it so Aladdin was more well known and had a lot more general appeal. One, super bored sounding, hype man in the middle of a cheap looking 'parade' with a static camera is just dull.

Compeltely undermines the pompous wealth and showy display that the original goes for. Jesus, I was starting to have a bit of hope but damn that song was just neutered.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Every single cut to the balcony where Jasmine is makes that group feel like they are a mile away from the parade. They could not appear more disconnected from what's happening.
This is just bad.

Proof we as a fallen society did not deserve Paige O'Hara as Belle

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time or bandwidth to be mad about it but I am legit surprised to find out Will Smith can't sing. I guess I just assumed he was a triple threat.

Honestly I was surprised too. Not like Robin Williams was some great singer but man this dude is Will Smith. It doesn't sound like Smith is even straining his voice at all and they still had to autotune him for some mundane shit. He can't sing at all.

Frankly, Disney should go back to dubbing in real singers over the actors like they used to do in the past. Not sure how, when or why did this stop being a thing.

Instead we're forced to suffer garbage like Emma Watson sounding like a robot