• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think its horrible and maybe the full scene will get progressively more interesting since it seems like it's moving that direction in the clip. Will sounds a little flat though.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This clip is a decent litmus test for people's ears....that has to be one of the worst sung professional productions I've heard from a Hollywood film (barring Les Miserables lol)

How did any of the sound/music production team sign off on that

If it sounds fine to you, you might want to get your ears checked hehe

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Who would have guessed that Robin Williams would turn out to be a better singer than Will Smith?

Also, why did they change "Brush up your Sunday Salaam" to "Brush up your Friday Salaam"?

Williams is not a better singer than Smith. Listen again to the original Prince Ali, they cover his lines heavily with background singers to cover for his lack of singing range.

The overall production and song is great, but Williams isn't carrying the song. This new version seems to be more heavy on Smith, though the clip does have its issues with him sounded a bit muted.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It feels like they just took the original and made it 30% slower.
Yeah I felt that way about the Beauty and the Beast songs too. I thought it might be because actors can't move as fast as animations. And because my nostalgia is informing me of the "real" tempo of the song, it feels even slower.

... I thought the clip picked up a bit at the end when they busted out the camels and peacocks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
One thing that this new "Prince Ali" does better than the original: The new "Prince Ali" is more vibrant and colorful.

I didn't like the original's color palette much, with the drab yellows and browns. I'm glad they made it more colorful and vibrant this time around. That's how a festival should be.

This is a fair point in favor of the remake. I just wish it had more going on!

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that really does improve it. The other issues are still there (autotune, bad singing), but they're mitigated by the increased tempo and it has the energy that everyone here says is lacking.

So, the question is: why did they go with a slower tempo?

Yeah it still has problems but I can't believe how just going a bit faster makes it so much better . Crazy

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that really does improve it. The other issues are still there (autotune, bad singing), but they're mitigated by the increased tempo and it has the energy that everyone here says is lacking.

So, the question is: why did they go with a slower tempo?

It isn't a slower tempo. It's the original film's tempo.

But, yes, a faster tempo works better for this clip especially.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It isn't a slower tempo. It's the original film's tempo.

I was curious, but going directly from one to the other I do think the clip is still slightly slower. It's not helped by the heavy drumbeat, which gives it a more leisurely feel -- the percussion is actually pretty light in the original, which means that the jaunty backing horns provide most of the feel of the tempo. I think that even after the first couple verses the tempo's increased in the original, too (I'd say we've got like an extra 10-15 BPM by the time we get to 'adjust your veil and prepare' from the first 'ali ababwa' but I haven't timed it out to compare) -- and Williams madcap antics are definitely trying to push the tempo even before everything picks up.

Ironically I think Smith's background as a rapper is hurting him here because he's actually on-the-beat -- so it doesn't feel like he's got the eager pace that Williams did. The delivery of "now try your best to stay calm" is noticeably different -- Williams is anticipating the downbeat on "calm" so much so that it feels like it's happening like half a beat before it should in comparison to where Smith puts it. Even if the songs have no difference in tempo that's a significant change in feel, and I'm not surprised that a 25% difference in tempo for Smith's performance brings back that feel even if you measure out the BPM to be the same.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
They should have just hired some Bollywood choreographers for this movie cause that looked stale as shit.

Man, just fuck everything about this movie.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
It sounds exactly like the broadway/west end version of the song. The film seems to be 25% based of the animated version but like 75% from stage version. The stage version is waaay better.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I think I figured out what's bothering me, when they have the wide CGI shots the sets look fine, but when it's the real sets everything looks too....small? Like walls and towers in Agrabah look like 15 feet high, it makes it look like a cheap high school set. There's no sense of scale when it's the physical sets so it looks a bit paltry.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Aladdin is a good counter-argument for the whole Black Panther "make everybody speak English with an accent" thing. Imagine if Will Smith was trying to fake an accent the same way Forrest Whitaker does.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Aladdin is a good counter-argument for the whole Black Panther "make everybody speak English with an accent" thing. Imagine if Will Smith was trying to fake an accent the same way Forrest Whitaker does.
Disney's Genie having an accent just seems antithetical to the character. Like Robin Williams version he's supposed to be a cosmic being out of time. All the contemporary references he makes would sound weird if he tried to sound more authentic to the region/time period.

Oct 28, 2017
Disney's Genie having an accent just seems antithetical to the character. Like Robin Williams version he's supposed to be a cosmic being out of time. All the contemporary references he makes would sound weird if he tried to sound more authentic to the region/time period.
Okay, well imagine the cartoon Aladdin movie having everybody speak with a fake accent.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty down on this remake, but I'm still hoping for something that's alright at least. The best part of Aladdin, the songs, are probably all going to be worse than either the animated movie or the Broadway show, but whatcha gonna do.

This is basically off-topic, but in general I prefer the way Aladdin does it. It's a massive pet peeve of mine when I hear characters speaking English with some thick accent when they're actually meant to be speaking a completely different language (like the Wakandans when they're in Wakanda). It's just dumb shit that makes no sense, there's zero reason to give them an accent.

It sounds exactly like the broadway/west end version of the song. The film seems to be 25% based of the animated version but like 75% from stage version. The stage version is waaay better.

It doesn't sound anything like the Broadway version.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I think people were gonna hate it regardless. There is some kind of backlash to the live action Disney flicks at least from what I see on here, even Lion King isn't safe, don't remember how Jungle Book was received here.
Jungle book was very well received by everyone dude. It holds a 90+% on RT as well. JB (and LK) looked amazing, Aladdin doesn't.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Jungle Book had the advantage of being based on an inferior Disney movie. Low expectations and all that, I guess. Then there's the Robin Williams factor, giving Aladdin a huge hurdle to overcome.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think Jungle Book had the advantage of being based on an inferior Disney movie. Low expectations and all that, I guess. Then there's the Robin Williams factor, giving Aladdin a huge hurdle to overcome.
I would think, hypothetically, it would be the opposite. More popularity = more people who want to see something. It's just Aladdin botched its execution pretty badly, but we'll see, maybe people turn out in spite of that.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, why is it like they are holding back all the razzle dazzle? The magic, the pop, the spectacle of the Genie is just missing here.

Will needs to put more power behind his voice, he needs to be more eccentric, electric, he needs to be
giphy.gif
Yeah you know what... Chris Tucker would have been awesome as Genie

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels all over the place. And I just don't know how it got to this point considering the source material, the amazing cover songs on Disney's own We Love Disney YouTube channel, and the broadway musicals.

Also funnily, watching the video at 1.25x helps bring some energy back into the song. I don't know why they slowed the song down when it's meant to be very upbeat, festive. I mean, a prince is rolling into town looking to impress the princess of the sultan, you go big or go home. BPM is one thing though, it's still missing so much more.

Holy crap, watching it at 1.25 speed actually makes it much more decent!!!! LOL

A fine middle is watching it at custom speed, 1.15, which feels a bit more accurate.

I'm shocked bringing up the tempo makes it this much better.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Have we heard what Alan Tudyk sounds like as Iago yet?

I'm really surprised they didn't bring back Gottfried to have that connection to the original, similar to James Earl Jones returning for Lion King, since they obviously couldn't do that with Robin Williams.