• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I just want to remind people:

The store with the best developer cut is not Epic. It's Itch.io. They default to 10% but allow you to literally set whatever cut you want. Even 0% if you are a bit of an asshole.

Most people don't care, they didn't when this started and that has not changed.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Do you have any receipts?

I mean I like free games, so I hope the EGS survives for a long time.
My receipts are that they restrict access to their store only to hyped or sought after, exclusive games. Also their inability to add basic features to their store (cart, for example). And common sense.

I like free games, too, but it doesn't take a genius to tell that they're funding this effort with Fortnite cash.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
In what way is this new % ruining Steam, or EGS itself?
What functionalities and services does steam offer at 30% that EGS does not at 12%, and are those services and functionalities worth the extra 18% not going to companies who could use it to be able to create more games?

- Steam wallet cards. Many people (especially in low-income markets) can only buy games through Steam wallet cards. Retailers take 15% from those cards so Valves cut is already 15% at that point and Epic can't even afford wallet cards and even takes money from the customer on specific payment methods.
- Steam gets 0% from purchases outside of Steam.
- That means their cut for a single game could be under 10% for games that are big in Asia and other wallet card-heavy countries (In some parts of Asia, over 90% of the customers are paying with "non-standard" payment methods that are pricier for Valve.)

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
If it would work for them, they wouldn't pay devs to make their games exclusive on their Store.
And what about the devs who have their own store where they get 100% of the money? Why go to EGS if you can bring home 100% instead? Spoiler: it was never about the Cut

I see it as customer acquisition. They need these partnerships in the beginning to bring people to the plataform, and these big partnerships is a way to do that. I would assume the gateway of entry will be lowered as they gain customers, or else im missing something here?

Oct 25, 2017
So the worry here is that if steam feels the pressure (pun intended) and drop their percentage, the support for all this you listed will disappear from steam and EGS will feel no need to introduce these functionalities for parity with steam to try and secure more customers?

I have no faith that EGS will attempt to reach feature parity. I recall one of the higher-ups, maybe Tim Sweeney, saying that they don't plan to compete in features.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
How does super obvious thing ruffle so many feathers. Because the framing of steam as the only platform perpetrating 30% oppression is a cornerstone of specious valve hate.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
My receipts are that they restrict access to their store only to hyped or sought after, exclusive games. Also their inability to add basic features to their store (cart, for example). And common sense.

I like free games, too, but it doesn't take a genius to tell that they're funding this effort with Fortnite cash.

I mean, the above doesn't tell me anything. I mean we could say they got lots of money from Metro or borderlands... But the truth is, we do not know. So for the time being I guess they are doing at least what they expected.
More free games are always cool in my book!

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I see it as customer acquisition. They need these partnerships in the beginning to bring people to the plataform, and these big partnerships is a way to do that. I would assume the gateway of entry will be lowered as they gain customers, or else im missing something here?

Their whole shtick is, that they have a hundred millions customers ready to buy your game (Fortnite players) And how does the cut benefit the Big Publisher that can sell their games on their own store?

And the whole talking point about the cut is bs anyway. Those devs are "losing" a magnitude more money on markets that pay less for the copy. Should those markets also raise their prices to US standard prices so that the struggling indie dev and multi billion dollar companie get more money?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do you have any receipts?

I mean I like free games, so I hope the EGS survives for a long time.
Far as I know "spend millions upon millions constantly to try and get games for the store and offer games for free while also selling product on razor-thin margins" is not a sustainable model.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean, the above doesn't tell me anything. I mean we could say they got lots of money from Metro or borderlands... But the truth is, we do not know. So for the time being I guess they are doing at least what they expected.
More free games are always cool in my book!
Cool, I guess. Time will tell if this is sustainable, but in my opinion it's pretty obvious it's not. Otherwise the store would be open to anyone and all devs could live in this wonderful 88% cut Utopia.

Enjoy the free games while they last, I know I will.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would have been at least vaguely interesting if they dated when the rates were introduced "Steams rate are standard" (because they set the standard) is significantly less so.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Wonder what made EGS settle on 12%. Such an odd (no pun intended) number.

it has to be the cutoff where anything lower and they would be losing money on each sale. Valve, with its much larger overhead costs (communities, discussion forums, workshop mods, losses from gift cards/devs generating keys at 0% cut, etc), can't cut this low without losing money on each sale.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Their whole shtick is, that they have a hundred millions customers ready to buy your game (Fortnite players) And how does the cut benefit the Big Publisher that can sell their games on their own store?

And the whole talking point about the cut is bs anyway. Those devs are "losing" a magnitude more money on markets that pay less for the copy. Should those markets also raise their prices to US standard prices so that the struggling indie dev and multi billion dollar companie get more money?

Agree with point 1, that' s why the paying for exclusivity for customer acquisition. I really dont expect this to continue for a long period of time, they must be racking their brains there trying out ways t bring more people to the store without having to close these partnerships. Its bleeding money right now.

On the second point, I have no information to make an informed point, where I live the games get the taxes and all that, so its always on parity with the US MSRP prices if you make the conversion, so I dont really know how they handle that in markets that pay less, but again, the lower % still benefits the devs, less so, but its an improvement.

And I dont mind multi billion dollar companies making more, if that applies to smaller devs as well. From what im reading here it seems EGS focus on marketing is on the big ones right now, but I dont know how their dev ecosystem is, and how this marketing is tricking down to smaller games. It would be interesting hearing from a smaller dev that has steam and EGS experience and get a comparison from someone with real experience to share.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
The whole point of competition is to undercut the other guy, not necessarily to "be better". This is doubly true in the tech industry as a whole, where even non-digital goods and services are being undercut by a reluctance to regulate companies that have online infrastructure like Uber, Airbnb, etc.

When people say the EGS problem is a problem of capitalism, they mean that this is how capitalism works, and most industries have this problem; it's just that the EGS issue doesn't affect people who are too poor to complain this loudly to being with, since gaming is a hobby for the relatively privileged in comparison. It also means that the problem that EGS's existence highlights is not one that can be fixed by EGS ending or, by the same token, Steam ending.

Such a good post.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I just wish it would have included a bit about Steam keys, and how Valve gets 0% from each sold.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Far as I know "spend millions upon millions constantly to try and get games for the store and offer games for free while also selling product on razor-thin margins" is not a sustainable model.
They have other revenue streams, we just cant see it. Partnerships with computer manufactures, local payment partners, things like that. The sponsor a creator program that encourages people to buy more v-bucks in fortnite must be bringing more money, but I agree, the perception is that right now its bleeding money. Its not sustainable for long. I just think we do not have the bigger picture.

it has to be the cutoff where anything lower and they would be losing money on each sale. Valve, with its much larger overhead costs (communities, discussion forums, workshop mods, losses from gift cards/devs generating keys at 0% cut, etc), can't cut this low without losing money on each sale.

I highly doubt 30% its the lowest of the lower cutout where they make minimal revenue only, and 1% lower brings them to negative revenue. specially with any other revenue streams they have that help make up for it. But im speculating.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people didnt know this?
*slaps own head forever*

just watch this over and over

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Pretty sure everyone on this site already know this. Or at least, I hope they do.
I mean Steam basically is the industry on PC anyway.

OP
OP
AHA-Lambda

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Timmy's mad

46FonEW.png

closer

Oct 25, 2017
it's also interesting that ign posting a really obvious thing can also spur all these clicks and engagement on the basis of controversial subject, get munny ign

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Im waiting for the steams availabilty to resell my games, as i do with Nintendo and Sony.
Wait, they are giving digital codes, instead of disks, wait, they are asking for the same 30% as sony, ms and nintendo?
good joke

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
When they started was 2004 when no one was doing it. I'd hope that whoever "joins" the clients today would at least be above 2004 standard.
Okay so only for the last 15 years then.

Im guessing the point it was a gradual step by step progression to this point, and EGS is at the start, so the assumption is that they will gradually introduce new things to get it closer to parity. But I agree that the they should have more functionality from the start then what they did, but I think the money was mainly held for customer acquisition.

I guess time will tell if their choices will be justified by the success or failure of the store.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Im waiting for the steams availabilty to resell my games, as i do with Nintendo and Sony.
Wait, they are giving digital codes, instead of disks, wait, they are asking for the same 30% as sony, ms and nintendo?
good joke

And of course you take this up with every other dgital store because you're so actually serious about it!

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
- Steam wallet cards. Many people (especially in low-income markets) can only buy games through Steam wallet cards. Retailers take 15% from those cards so Valves cut is already 15% at that point and Epic can't even afford wallet cards and even takes money from the customer on specific payment methods.
- Steam gets 0% from purchases outside of Steam.
- That means their cut for a single game could be under 10% for games that are big in Asia and other wallet card-heavy countries (In some parts of Asia, over 90% of the customers are paying with "non-standard" payment methods that are pricier for Valve.)

Great post. I can't stress enough how important Steam Wallet Cards are for those living in poorer countries like mine. I know a lot of people who would've never gotten into this hobby (at least legitimately) without it.

It's so convenient and anyone can buy them at 7-Eleven. No credit cards, no bullshit conversion rates.

Valve and Sony will always have my respect for bringing proper support and regional pricing to Malaysia, unlike Microsoft, Nintendo and the billion other storefronts on PC.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If everybody already knows this, then EGS threads should be universally mocking this type of nonsense from Sweeney:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In other news from IGN: Water is wet and the sky is blue because of the atmosphere.

Just because something is the norm doesn't mean it's desirable or admirable.

Oct 25, 2017
Im guessing the point it was a gradual step by step progression to this point, and EGS is at the start, so the assumption is that they will gradually introduce new things to get it closer to parity. But I agree that the they should have more functionality from the start then what they did, but I think the money was mainly held for customer acquisition.

I guess time will tell if their choices will be justified by the success or failure of the store.
So they have millions to spend on exclusively but it's a gradual process to get there launcher to beyond 2004 functionality?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If some poor developer is forced to publish under valves 30% regime, they should at least get the option to sell their own game elsewhere without paying VALVE TAX.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they have millions to spend on exclusively but it's a gradual process to get there launcher to beyond 2004 functionality?
Considering that we're talking about the makers of the Unreal Engine, it's a question that really shouldn't have to be asked. The fact that we are asking the question is a total embarrassment on Epic's part.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I find it surprising that it took that so long for that journalist to know about that fact. Like I was sure that this was common knowledge way before the whole Epic vs. Steam thing began.

Oct 31, 2017

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Wouldn't Steam's cut "actually" be better than the the industry standard for bigger games though, becuase of the new revenue tiers?
good joke

Don't physical sales make less money for pubs / devs because they have to actually physically supply the product to retailers though?