• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

10) Ninja Gaiden 2
9) Vanquish
8) God of War 3
7) Bayonetta 2
6) Bayonetta 1
5) Metal Gear Rising
4) Devil May Cry 3
3) Devil May Cry 5
2) Ninja Gaiden Black
1) God of War (2018)

I think any of those games can be placed wherever really depending on taste. But that #1 pick is interesting.

Some personal takes:
I'd put in God Hand over Ninja Gaiden 2.
And God of War 2 over God of War 3.

Last edited:

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I understand the list but #1 isn't the best for being an action game, it's just the best game overall.
It'd be like me saying best FPS game and you pick something that got a 10/10 for the story and had ok gunplay, why.

Nov 7, 2017
"2018's God of War pushed the genre forward in ways that the genre had not been pushed since DMC essentially revolutionized it back in 2001 "

Lmao

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That number 1 pick is going to invalidate the rest of the list for a lot of people
It would be like saying that Portal 2 was the greatest FPS of all time

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
No 1 is probably my favourite game on the list but I'm not sure I'd consider it an Action game like the other games on the list

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
#1 is a joke unless by action they just mean setpieces.

Especially egregious when #2 and #3 are legitimately the best melee action games the planet has ever seen.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GoW strikes me as more action-adventure than straight up action. If GoW is on the list then Bloodborne certainly should be.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If God Hand was there they'd never stop hearing about it.

Disagree with #1, but I guess it depends on what the list is. Is it "Best Action Games" or "Best Games based on their Action"?

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
God Of War had a nice story and cool set pieces. But honestly it's combat was actually pretty boring, not close to the kind of pacing and variety of other games on the list.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
GOW was awesome but this feels like honeymoon period

Mostly because the enemy and boss variety were really lacking but i have no doubt the sequel wil be top tier amazing

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
holy fuck at that number one

Well, God of War is a bold direction, that much is true. It's the first action game where facing away from the enemy gave you a better chance to dodge their attacks since a flashing indicator is easier to parse than enemy tells

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
"2018's God of War pushed the genre forward in ways that the genre had not been pushed since DMC essentially revolutionized it back in 2001 "

Lmao

Lol what the hell. It pushed the genre by burrowing every action game current trends into one game.

I reaaaaaaally doubt that in the next few years we'll regard any action game as "inspired by God of War 2018".

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So while I'd definitely reorder most of that list, I would never argue against them being on it.

That number one though.

giphy.gif

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
If IGN feels that God of War (2018) is an action game, then Resident Evil 4 should also count by their metric, and therefor be the #1 action game of all time.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I love God of War (2018) and it might even be my favorite in the list overall but it really shouldn't be there as an action game. It's a narrative-driven action adventure game leaning towards RPGs. In that case you might as well toss Dark Souls and Bloodborne in there.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man alive, that is a bad list. GoW is great but the actual action is nothing special. I guess technically it's in that category and technically it might be a better overall game, but....

That would be like calling Avengers: Endgame the best action movie of all time. It's only peripherally in that category, and something like The Raid (or anything by Jackie Chan or Donnie Yen or even John Wick for the millenials) embodies it in every frame. It shouldn't even be in the running with only part of a foot through the door of the actual category.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
God of War 2018 is a great game LMAO at it being number 1 in this list

its not even an action game, rather action adventure

rest of the list is pretty good sans the glaring (and predictable) omission of God Hand. glad they put Bayo 1 above 2

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Saying DMC5 represents "near-perfection" and GoW pushed the genre forwards is makes me laugh. Hard disagree on both counts. GoW 2018 isn't even a pure action action game. Not a completely horrible list outside of that, although MGR being above Bayo and Bayo 2 being ranked alongside 1, when it's so much less in so many crucial ways, are both pretty questionable.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
No God Hand, shit list. Although I suppose IGN has a bit of a history with God Hand lol... Also yeah, Vanquish doesn't belong, even if it has faster movement than other TPS games.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Such a great list right up until they shit the bed at number 1 lol. God of War 2018 was a great game, but best ACTION game?! Come on....