• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie adaptation of The Last of Us fell apart because there was too much focus on big action set-pieces that did not suit the story, according to game director Neil Druckmann.

Talking to the Script Apart podcast, Druckmann said: "When I worked on the movie version, a lot of the thinking and notes were like 'how do we make it bigger? How do we make the set pieces bigger?'"

Druckmann did not point fingers as to who in the studio system provided those notes, but he said that the approach was responsible for the film's downfall. "It didn't work for The Last of Us and I think that's ultimately why the movie wasn't made," he said.

As a video game, The Last of Us has plenty of combat due to the way its gameplay structure works. But the story aspect of the game - what is essentially the base for any film or TV adaptation - is more subdued than a Hollywood blockbuster. Thankfully, Druckmann says that moving to a television series has helped capture the team's original intentions for the game.

"Our approach for The Last of Us was 'Let's make it as an indie film'," Druckmann revealed. "Let's approach it as an indie film team, the way it's shot, the way how small and intimate it feels. And with the show we get to lean into that even more because we don't have to have as many action sequences as we do in the game."

"In the game, there's certain mechanics for pacing purposes," Druckmann added. "You have to engage those mechanics every once in a while, you need enough combat to train those mechanics. And you can throw all that out [for the TV show], because now we're in a different medium. Let's play to the strengths of this medium."

www.ign.com

The Last of Us Movie Fell Apart Because It Was Too Action-Focused - IGN

The Last of Us movie wasn't made because there was a wish to make it bigger and more action-heavy, which did not suit the game's original story.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
A part of me would love to see the "Hollywood video game adaptation" take on The Last of Us, lol.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thank god it's manifesting itself as an HBO show instead. This would need more than 2-3 hours to breathe anything worthwhile into the characters.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
somehow back in 2013 i always knew this movie would not be a thing. it gave me "Gears of War is getting a movie" energy.

i can't wait for the HBO Show. Hope we see something this year.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
"Our approach for The Last of Us was 'Let's make it as an indie film'," Druckmann revealed. "Let's approach it as an indie film team, the way it's shot, the way how small and intimate it feels. And with the show we get to lean into that even more because we don't have to have as many action sequences as we do in the game."

Everything i read about this TV is EXACTLY what i wanted from it.

I honestly can't wait.

The last thing this IP needed was to be an action/adventure movie. They got Uncharted for that.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A part of me would love to see the "Hollywood video game adaptation" take on The Last of Us, lol.

Joel smoking a cigar as he mows down infected with a Minigun. Spent shells shower the screen with cuts to zombie bodies blown apart in showers of gore.

As the last infected drops and the minigun stops spinning he quips "And they said I wasn't a Fun-Guy., get it Ellie?"

Ellie rolls her eyes. "Okay boomer,"

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Joel smoking a cigar as he mows down infected with a Minigun. Spent shells shower the screen with cuts to zombie bodies blown apart in showers of gore.

As the last infected drops and the minigun stops spinning he quips "And they said I wasn't a Fun-Guy., get it Ellie?"

Ellie rolls her eyes. "Okay boomer,"

Joel stares directly into the camera

"You know, Ellie, we really are *eyes narrow* the Last of Us"

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Headline really blows what Neil said out of proportion. He mentioned that it was probably one of the reasons why TLOU didn't work as a blockbuster movie, not that it was the main reason why the movie ultimately didn't get made.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They would need to do something to make it stand out from The Road and The Girl With All the Gifts. Making a movie of a video game that's based off of some movies without the seams showing?

A movie really wouldn't have worked so this is for the best.

Honestly most game adaptations would work better as TV series.

Serious question: can you name a live action one that's actually good? Aside from Assassin's Fist, I can't think of any. The Witcher doesn't count either since it was technically based off of the same books the games were.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
They would need to do something to make it stand out from The Road and The Girl With All the Gifts. Making a movie of a video game that's based off of some movies without the seams showing?

Serious question: can you name a live action one that's actually good? Aside from Assassin's Fist, I can't think of any. The Witcher doesn't count either since it was technically based off of the same books the games were.

As far as video game adaptations go, the new Mortal Kombat was pretty fun. And I didn't hate Sonic or Detective Pikachu, although they're harder to rewatch.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Thank god. I have really high hopes for the TV show, it has real potential to be absolutely huge. Like The Walking Dead used to be but production values and scripts on a different level. I'm glad this movie never came to pass, sounds like execs doing their usual and ruining yet another game adaptation because they just don't get it.

Bring it!

Oct 27, 2017

Can't think of Any TV series but I did enjoy the Mortal Kombat 95 movie.

Though I hear Yakuza Black Panther did get a TV adaptation that is good but I am not sure if true or not.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
As far as video game adaptations go, the new Mortal Kombat was pretty fun. And I didn't hate Sonic or Detective Pikachu, although they're harder to rewatch.

Like I said, actually good. I watched the new MK film, and enjoyed it for what it was, but it was overall really dumb, and I doubt that's what Druckmann wants a film (or series) he's involved with to be remembered as.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I can see joel resident evil punching clickers and doing like Jason Bourne level gun kata to take down runners. Ellie is actually like an amazing crack shot, in fact the bite has given her a lower pulse than a normal human and - like Sniper Wolf before her - she is now an elite killer ready to forge her own dark legacy across the ruins of america....

"This Summeeerrrrrrr...."

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
An HBO TV series is definitely a great choice. Excited to see more from Craig Mazin after Chernobyl too.

If anyone here hasn't watched Chernobyl, please do so.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Just go watch the 6 Resident Evil movies.

Also treat yourself to the leaked story for the canceled Fallout adaptation

fallout.fandom.com

Fallout film treatment

The following is the second revision of the canceled Fallout movie treatment, written by Brent V. Friedman in early 1998, before the release of Fallout 2. A third version, with some additions and refinements also existed, but is yet to be found. This isn't the definitive version (most of the...

I also remember Gabe Newell mentioning all the pitches he got from Hollywood about a Half-Life adaptation and one of them involved cyborg horse cavalry or something.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
FQiQwP6.jpg

Hollywood's take.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
All for the best. HBO TV show also allows Sony Pictures the time and budget they probably internally would have hesitated to allocate.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
To be honest I'm still interested in seeing what Sam Raimi would have done with that thing. Though the movies he produces don't really turn out good.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Great idea to make it an HBO Show. More focus on character and story building.

Oct 27, 2017
Combat was always my least favorite part of the last of us games, so honestly a TV show sounds like it would have been the better medium for the story to begin with.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There's tons of action set pieces in the game, can't see why that would be an issue
He says why. There's a ton of action set pieces in the game because it's a game and needs regular action set-pieces. Telling the story in another medium lets them cut off all the excess action fluff and only use action when needed

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
He says why. There's a ton of action set pieces in the game because it's a game and needs regular action set-pieces. Telling the story in another medium lets them cut off all the excess action fluff and only use action when needed

games do not need regular set pieces so I don't see what being a movie or a game has to do with it.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
I've always personally felt like TV is a better medium for video games than movies. We spend hours w/these characters building a story and narrative that when it gets rushed and told in 2ish hours it feels cheap, unearned and misses the point of the game entirely. With HBO doing the show, and it having probably having 7-8 hours of content, I think that will do a much better job of telling Joel/Ellie's story. I'm genuinely excited for this adaption

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
games do not need regular set pieces so I don't see what being a movie or a game has to do with it.
When your game is an stealth-shooter where your main way of interaction with enemies is shooting or stabbing them, then yes, the gameplay loop means a whole of shootouts and extended action sequences at regular intervals

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Agree that TV will be better for this property. And even still, its not like it will be without action- but when it does happen, it will have so much more impact than some dumb hollywood film that has to get in and out in a two hour space.

All this said, can't wait to see infected, clickers, maybe even a bloater or two on screen- these things are going to be freaking terrifying!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
There is a nice indie short film on YouTube I saw recently but for my personal taste, it misses the point.

It's all about the "visceral, gun shoot outs" with really gory scenes and I don't see The Last of Us as that. Sure it's there in the game but it's a game mechanic. (Reason do do heads like to bring up fake Drake murder BS). There is more to say Ellie blowing people's heads. You don't even need to play it like Rambo to begin with but some do and then the ones who don't know cling to that to say it's a murder Sim or something silly.

Glad Sony went with a TV show that gives it more time to show the calmer, subtle scenes for all characters involved and get the story the proper room to breathe.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of glad it did to be honest. I'm not against video game movies, but I honestly have 0 interest in films based on specifically games like these already. The Last of Us. Metal Gear. Uncharted. Ect. Feel like the whole point of them already is to create very cinematic gaming experiences. I don't see any world where a movie adaptation would be anything more a pale, non-interactive imitation.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An HBO TV series is a way better medium for a TLOU adaptation than a big blockbuster film. The story of the game already feels very episodic.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Video games lend themselves better to long form storytelling like TV. Cramming a 30 hour game into a 2 hour movie is insane and would rarely be done justice. It's partly why Mortal Kombat ended the way it did.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Fatal Frame film is very good, even if it has little to do with the plot of the games.

NTaUJte0IrndgGCeG_932MAYP-T6kVoLnX4wwuayPpHtwT_pzyiTRyqrmQWHGnpviWoGglewRiXNyl3gVh3vj9lqCRW8kYsV5TPn.jpg
Detention is top-notch too. The best video game adaptation yet, the best Silent Hill movie that never was, and an eerie politically-charged nightmare by its own merits.
GnHgGfmDhADBe1CHeewiu5goPo.jpg