• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
t.co

Game Scoop! 596: The Fallout from Xbox's Shocking Move

Welcome back to Game Scoop!, IGN's weekly video game talk show. This week the Omega Cops -- Daemon Hatfield, Tina Amini, Sam Claiborn, and Justin Davis -- ar...

38:35 if timestamp doesn't work

Clarification from IGN:

"Hey! It's me! To clarify -

1. PS5 Preorder guide is the #1 article on IGN of the year in terms of pageviews. And it didn't eek out #1 - it's closing in on being 2X the #2 article. It was HUGE. It also broke records for the number of concurrent readers in an article. Pageviews aren't a metric that's massively important to us - we pay a lot of attention to engagement, etc.... but still.

2. Like a lot (almost all?) media companies we have an affiliate ecommerce business. When someone clicks on an Amazon or Best Buy or Newegg button and buys a game or piece of hardware we earn a commission on that. We are required by law to make sure that's disclosed, and we always do. And every day we link to retailers we don't have affiliate relationships with, as those Buy Links are a reader service first and foremost. It doesn't impact or touch core Editorial operations in any way, and our ecommerce team is run separately.

So when I say "we sold" PS5s I'm speaking in shorthand - it's a conversational podcast where we all speak extemporaneously.. IGN didn't sell them - but we can see in our reporting how many people clicked on merchant links and we can see in our reporting totals of what was purchased on those retail websites from people that clicked on our links.

So yeah - on PS5 preorder day, we sent about 5x as many clicks from IGN to various online retailers as we did on all of Black Friday. That's an accurate ballpark stat. That's the "headline" IMO."

www.resetera.com

IGN: The PS5 pre-orders were the biggest event ever for us (in terms of affiliate links to stores from IGN) surpassed Black Fridays, iPhone launches

Hey! It's me! To clarify - 1. PS5 Preorder guide is the #1 article on IGN of the year in terms of pageviews. And it didn't eek out #1 - it's closing in on being 2X the #2 article. It was HUGE. It also broke records for the number of concurrent readers in an article. Pageviews aren't a metric...

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
IGN getting into the retailing business now? Not that I don't believe it, but there's something not right about how that title is worded.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
like people complaining in the comments or a message board on their site about not securing a pre order?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i assume they have lots of articles on black friday to show where the good deals are and people researching games or consoles to buy.

and ps5 day was much bigger apparently.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is about how many clicked to reach the locations, not actual affiliate links. Although it is very unclear based just off the quick comment that was made.

Ah he says " Total click volumes " so yea for clicks and thirst yea it was massive for IGN.

Last edited:

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
There's no way Sony can meet demand at launch but if they somehow pull it off this will be the biggest launch ever

Oct 27, 2017
people buy iPhones through IGN links? Gaming related stuff I can understand but phones are normally either through direct sales or carrier subsidies so I'm surprised that its something that would even be that high of a benchmark for them.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
yeah its crazy, 2 friends of mine who work at big stores told me they never saw anything like the ps5 numbers before. (mediamarkt and gamemania in the netherlands)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way Sony can meet demand at launch but if they somehow pull it off this will be the biggest launch ever
Demand is going to be insane this holiday season and there is no way Sony to even remotely meet demand. Still, I think they'll do their best to have more units than the PS4 launch so that they can beat previous records. During the PS4 launch, Sony claimed that it was also important for them to be able to have units at retail on launch day. I guess a similar situation. where Sony isn't allocating everything to preorders. is happening this time as well.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Looks like that pandemic money people are saving are going towards quality of life goods. This will be good for the gaming industry.

nutcasey

Oct 28, 2017
I've not seen it back at any store in the UK since it went up for 10 minutes on that first morning.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
can't imagine A ton of people going to IGN for phone stuff so I️ would've assumed that's the case

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
This information isn't super credible or specific, but people keep focusing on the iPhone aspect when the most interesting bit is the Black Friday comment.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of some enthusiast circles, the PS5 has completely dominated the next gen discussion on the internet. Plenty of "neutral" polls have shown this, and with the exception of the Zenimax news, it's been this way since they debuted the box.

I would be stunned if sales didn't ultimately reflect this, but 2020 has been a weird year.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
It's going to be sold out for months isn't it?Even if those claims of 18m units being manufactured is real.