• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So he was hired by IGN after having a history with this.

The thing is, nobody made a stink out of it. There were like a few comments in the comment section and that's it. It took people so much longer to find any of those than it did to just find examples of his plagiarism directly.

The problem here is something people like H.Bomber guy talked about, is that there needs to be a culture of pointing out plagiarism and not letting it fester. A couple of people posting a comment "good job stealing the video from "x" " and then moving on with their life, feeling fulfilled in the fact that they 'showed that guy", is just not enough. It got burried and person almost made a career out of it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So he was hired by IGN after having a history with this.

An unknown history. It is all being discovered now.

The thing is, nobody made a stink out of it. There were like a few comments in the comment section and that's it. It took people so much longer to find any of those than it did to just find examples of his plagiarism directly.

The problem here is something people like H.Bomber guy talked about, is that there needs to be a culture of pointing out plagiarism and not letting it fester. A couple of people posting a comment "good job stealing the video from "x" " and then moving on with their life, feeling fulfilled in the fact that they 'showed that guy", is just not enough. It got burried and person almost made a career out of it.

Especially because comments like those are everywhere and often mean nothing. People are accused of copying work when the similarities are surface level. Hell, often these comments indicate some level of ignorance (the Evil Dead remake being heavily criticized for copying The Cabin in the Woods is a solid example of that) on part of the person making them. So yeah, a stray comment is going to be ignored.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
He's a bit LTTP but this is a good video summary of the stuff that was discovered he stole. I liked him showing the video along with the written text. I'm sure he got the list here.

Man, I still cannot believe he doubled down on his bullshit when he knew, had to know, there was so much there to find like word for fucking word.

The host goes all in on Filip, and it's definitely deserved, but it's still hard to watch. I fully believe Filip had no interest whatsoever in the Switch and made his channel as artificial as possible to be successful by design. If only he was a better writer he may have pulled it off.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess he's just opting to keep his head down and wait until this all blows over before I presume returning to YouTube and pretending everything is fine with another cool Switch video
Could he really do that though? I mean, the internet is not going to forget this, er… the internet isn't going to let him think that they forgot about this. I'm sure on every video he tries to upload in the future, there will be a lot of comments referencing plagiarism. I think it's already happening with non-Filip IGN videos. He could always prune those comments though, I guess.

edit: I like that in that SidAlpha video everytime he says his name, he prefaces it with "confirmed plagiarist."

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
People are saying he could go back to youtube? He had 60k subs before this which is nowhere near enough money to live on. I mean he quickly left for a low paying IGN position.

60k subs is a hobby that probably costs more than it brings in.
He probably could gain subscribers by turning his channel into a game. Try to find who he plagiarized in the video and get a small prize.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The day he uploads anything new, it'll be getting a bunch of attention. Either he makes a new channel and stays off camera or just look for a career doing something else entirely.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

I definitely remember him being called out for stealing something (an arcade stick review, I think?) either here or at the old place.

Like you said, people weren't invested enough to make sure it stuck, primarily because people didn't recognize either party and wrote them off as irrelevant.

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
In regard to whether this should have been caught by IGN or not, I do not think the expectation of any Editor would be that they'd been given stolen copy from one of their writers and check accordingly. It's simply not what the Editor does and is far from their primary function.
A good Editor would assess the material for structure, brevity and being on point in a concise manner. They look to pare down and trim writer flourish, ensure clarity and get the article within scope. There would be no thoughts of the material being lifted or its veracity.
Ideally a system to ensure this does not happen again would be wonderful but for now media outlets such as IGN rely on the moral integrity of the people they employ to retain standards.
Thanks to Miucin, the gaming press now live in a darker world where every turned in article is given a slightly longer look and writers in that field feel all the more under pressure and scrutinised.
Hopefully the aftershock does not linger too long.

Oct 25, 2017
In regard to whether this should have been caught by IGN or not, I do not think the expectation of any Editor would be that they'd been given stolen copy from one of their writers and check accordingly. It's simply not what the Editor does and is far from their primary function.
A good Editor would assess the material for structure, brevity and being on point in a concise manner. They look to pare down and trim writer flourish, ensure clarity and get the article within scope. There would be no thoughts of the material being lifted or its veracity.
Ideally a system to ensure this does not happen again would be wonderful but for now media outlets such as IGN rely on the moral integrity of the people they employ to retain standards.
Thanks to Miucin, the gaming press now live in a darker world where every turned in article is given a slightly longer look and writers in that field feel all the more under pressure and scrutinised.
Hopefully the aftershock does not linger too long.
That was never a good a thing tho, just a blindspot.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The day he uploads anything new, it'll be getting a bunch of attention. Either he makes a new channel and stays off camera or just look for a career doing something else entirely.
He has some video editing skills so that may be an avenue worth exploring, hard(er) to do plagiarizing there. ;) Anything new he puts on his current or new channel will get the attention and the clicks, but not the money from the patrons or the view time (most people will pop for a second to downvote or leave an aggressive comment).

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So this is me more being out of sheer curiosity than anything, but does IGN have to take a bit of the blame as well? Miucin is a piece of shit no question, but based on what I'm seeing, It would really just take a couple of quick web searches for an editor to see that his work was almost entirely plagiarized.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So this is me more being out of sheer curiosity than anything, but does IGN have to take a bit of the blame as well? Miucin is a piece of shit no question, but based on what I'm seeing, It would really just take a couple of quick web searches for an editor to see that his work was almost entirely plagiarized.
I would say part of this issue was definitely on IGN to do proper vetting for an editor before they took him on.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017

Jim Sterling's summary.

Watching Sterling's video made me realize a few things. As someone who wishes to be a game journalist myself on the side from my actual job, there is alot of work that goes into posting reviews, and discussing things in the world of gaming. It is a job that many would want but few can actually be apart of. And then when you have a guy like this who has seemingly made his living plagiarizing others, it is not only disrespectful but also is like a slap in the face of those who actually try and put in the time and effort to try and do such things for themselves.

In the end, he got what was coming to him. There is no reason to harass the guy online since he basically has dug himself into a hole that he won't be able to crawl out of. That and Sterling's use of Sterdust is a fun too (although if we were going off the video, that was more the editor's handy work).

Oct 27, 2017
did i miss anything interesting? over the last few days?

I suppose I'll quote my post from two days ago which no one really bothered to discuss.

TL:DR he was found copying direct words on news articles for The Gardens Between Us and Warframe that were originally written in press releases sent by the developers of those games.

Full post down here:

The past couple days it seemed the trail had grown a bit cold, but there's a few more questionable examples that have been found. Anybody read these, yet?

For these news articles he wrote on Warframe and The Gardens Between Us, merely a month ago, he copied direct words from their press releases for sections of his articles

Specifically for Gardens he writes:

The press release:

For Warframe he writes:

Excerpts from the press release here:

Filip's tendency to reorder the the sentences and phrases while copying the exact words are completely apparent in these two cases. Especially with the Gardens Between Us where he copied the descriptions from the press release almost word for word but mashed them into a single paragraph where otherwise those individual sentences were in separate paragraphs.

It really convinces me more that he doesn't understand plagiarism and thought the effort in slightly rephrasing and reordering the ideas amounted to original work. Again, it seems like a lot of effort for simply restating someone else's words.

There was another article that was a bit doubtful involving Capcom's article on cloud services and citing The Wall Street Journal.

Of course, I wouldn't be too far from Filip if I didn't cite the source of all this, but it is more than a bit of a dubious one.

Works cited:
KotakuinAction, which I myself found when visiting IGN's reddit page, though the information KinA found seems to be accurate

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I give the guy credit for not going into the "SJW are out to get me" turn so many people lean into when fucking up

Jan 2, 2018
Pasadena
I can't make a new thread because I don't have 100 posts. But I have friends in the industry I showed this to long before the Miucin controversy right after I noticed it. I think IGN ripped one of my articles off a month after the fact. And I'm not just trying to capitalize on what's going on. I'm not saying I was plagiarized per se, but, the idea is identical and the same feature image is even used. I first saw it on the app and screenshotted it but was afraid to say anything. My original article did very well for itself.

I had to take a break for the last month from my outlet due to a family matter but here are some comparisons. Theirs was during E3 so by nature, the words were different but the idea was the same. I did take it a step further though and brought Sony into it; IGN did not.

The sentiment in the article is exactly the same, only mine came out a month and a half earlier. I'm not asserting plagiarism but this feels wrong and I've been too afraid to say anything until now. Ideas can't be trademarked, but this feels too close for comfort.

Here are some examples.

39869095_10113849665256621_1770865829898878976_o.jpg

39810924_10113849665246641_7299800190934843392_o.jpg

39751523_10113849665521091_1430915844115791872_o.jpg

39750229_10113849665366401_5776140476591636480_o.jpg

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I can't make a new thread because I don't have 100 posts. But I have friends in the industry I showed this to long before the Miucin controversy right after I noticed it. I think IGN ripped one of my articles off a month after the fact. And I'm not just trying to capitalize on what's going on. I'm not saying I was plagiarized per se, but, the idea is identical and the same feature image is even used. I first saw it on the app and screenshotted it but was afraid to say anything. My original article did very well for itself.

I had to take a break for the last month from my outlet due to a family matter but here are some comparisons. Theirs was during E3 so by nature, the words were different but the idea was the same. I did take it a step further though and brought Sony into it; IGN did not.

The sentiment in the article is exactly the same, only mine came out a month and a half earlier. I'm not asserting plagiarism but this feels wrong and I've been too afraid to say anything until now. Ideas can't be trademarked, but this feels too close for comfort.

Here are some examples.

Respectfully, I do not think this rises to the level of plagiarism. I also think that this exemplifies why Filip got away with it for so long. It's very common for multiple articles from videogame outlets to present the exact same idea. You could probably find a Resetera thread making the same claim.

In short, I could see why their article would feel like they were taking the wind out of your sails. I don't think Filip's actions impugn the rest of IGN though.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

Here are some examples.

No offense but this isnt an original idea. This idea has been floating around since Microsoft doubled down on backwards compatability.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here are some examples.

Yeah someone already mentioned it but with respect that's not an uncommon viewpoint. Especially as it followed a number of long term MS business moves for gaming. Even when I saw the article in question come up my main thought was 'well no shit, they're certainly not playing the short game'.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry dude, writing about the same thing, is not the same as copying your work. "Playing the long game" is a really common turn of phrase, especially when describing Microsoft's video game plan.

Unless you were plagiarizing this article posted a day before yours:
Screenshot_20180821_131336.png

Last edited:

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
IGN should take down the article while they investigate, I think. It could be plagiarism. Otherwise it gives the impression that a junior employee they already wanted to leave received extra scrutiny over a cherished senior one.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
IGN should take down the article while they investigate, I think. It could be plagiarism. Otherwise it gives the impression that a junior employee they already wanted to leave received extra scrutiny over a cherished senior one.

These two things aren't even in the same ballpark, so there really shouldn't be any expectation that they be treated the same.

Jan 2, 2018
Pasadena
Wow.

Ok I never asserted plagiarism. I come from a research background I know exactly what it is.

It's a month apart, asserts similar language, and I know thoughts aren't trademarked nor should they be. But same feature image. Same assertion. It's the timing that's weird. If they were inspired by my own work they should just hire me then.

But in all honesty I never claimed I was plagiarized so please don't put words in my mouth. Nor do I think an investigation is really needed. It is what it is. But many of the arguments here are full of logical fallacies. I actually like IGN so I'm not doing this to shit on them.

Thank you.

Jan 2, 2018
Pasadena
Sorry dude, writing about the same thing, is not the same as copying your work. "Playing the long game" is a really common turn of phrase, especially when describing Microsoft's video game plan.

Unless you were plagiarizing this article posted a day before yours:
Screenshot_20180821_131336.png

Much more to it than that if you look at the context which is identical only mine was a month and a half before e3

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
So real talk for a second and man would I really fucking love an explanation about this from the shitbirds that run it but...

Where the fuck are all the loud ass stupid opinionated GamerGaters when for the first time in close to the decade they've been ruining our hobby are they with this serious breach of "ethics in gaming journalism"

I mean if this doesn't show you that their entire quoted basis for being, they modus operandi to fix "ethics in gaming journalism" shouldn't this be their Woodstock? Shouldn't this be what they've been waiting for something truly against what they are supposedly for?

I don't mean to bring up GG into this thread but it definitely doesn't deserve its own thread!

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Wow.

Ok I never asserted plagiarism. I come from a research background I know exactly what it is.

It's a month apart, asserts similar language, and I know thoughts aren't trademarked nor should they be. But same feature image. Same assertion. It's the timing that's weird. If they were inspired by my own work they should just hire me then.

But in all honesty I never claimed I was plagiarized so please don't put words in my mouth. Nor do I think an investigation is really needed. It is what it is. But many of the arguments here are full of logical fallacies. I actually like IGN so I'm not doing this to shit on them.

Thank you.

You didn't assert it, but you wanted the heat and we all know it. If the topic had been something far more specific and unique it might be something, but you weren't the first with idea in the first place.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow.

Thank you.

I don't think there's any evidence there that the IGN author even read your work. The articles aren't terribly similar other than that they discuss the same ideas and come to the same conclusion. There've been articles saying MS is playing the long game since like 2013 with each new feature MS brings out. This is a continuation of that. It's possible IGN copied your article, but it's more likely they didn't or were indirectly/unknowingly inspired by it. Either way, I wouldn't feel bad about it if I were you. I say that as a professional writer (not of video games, but it's the same idea regardless of field).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
People on this forum have been saying that Microsoft has been playing the long game since gamepass was announced and after E3 it's become even more apparent. Even he who shall not be named (starts with a c) did a video on Xbox playing the long game in January.... Not an original idea at all.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

Thank you.
So much cringe in this post I don't even know where to begin.

You definitely didn't come up with this special amazing thought that no one thought before. Anyone who watched the Microsoft E3 press conference and half a brain could have easily surmised that MS is playing the long game. I think I even said as much to my brother in person after we finished watching the conference.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Thank you.

You may not have specifically asserted plagiarism, but you piggybacked off a thread about clear cut example of plagiarism. That was either incredibly misguided, or you were just trying to be slick.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Much more to it than that if you look at the context which is identical only mine was a month and a half before e3

If being honest this makes me believe they ripped you off even less... I mean as others have said your exclamation of Microsoft playing the long game, or the Xbox One being a slow burn isn't a new or unique sentiment at all in 2018...in fact one would say both outlets are quite late with that sentiment but as others have said it's a repeated sentiment from IGN and most outlets stemming from E3 last year and their focus on GaaS

Also I'm sorry but your "Foundation set for the future line" I don't feel like they would've gotten anything from that for their "playing the long game" line if being honest with your line I can't understand where you even come to that have that opinion.

I mean set the foundation for their current console that is coming on 5 years old? Or set the foundation for their future consoles with Game pass and games with gold and what not which makes no sense with the line "something Sony hasn't" just as confusing...considering right before that line you say Sony is doing an amazing job... it's just confusing writing...

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This guy plagiarized."

Looks to see it's clearly not plagiarism.

"I never once said this guy plagiarized."

Strap in kiddos. We're at this stage of discussion now.