• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I came to this thread late, and want to reply to a moderator with the classic Neogaf Nintendogs post...but I will resist.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Also, anyone else find it odd that Filip started a weekly Smash website roundup right after GameXplain did so...? It's not like other major gaming outlets did this.

thinking-face_1f914.png
OH SHIT! We need someone to compare the two. That'd be fucking wild.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel sorry for the Spawnwave crew. That's fucked up being used as nothing more than a stepping stone by a damn plagiarist sociopath.

And then the people at IGN working with this guy and not knowing he's stealing work left and right and undermining the reputation of the company. Jesus.

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I seriously thought it was a one time deal because he mismanaged his time in getting the review done...

I really thought it was a one time situation because he miscalculated his time in getting the review done...

Honestly when I first saw the news I thought the same thing. I would have never expected to find out that his plagiarism was as extensive as it was.

I just want to post this again on this page just in case anyone had missed it and was somehow still questioning whether he was plagiarizing or not...

Open this YouTube video:

While looking at this post.

I was shook because of how blatant it is.

What are you talking about? I only see a high quality discussion about the harms and consequences of plagiarism.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
OH SHIT! We need someone to compare the two. That'd be fucking wild.

Sounds like a job for the ol' analysis machine.

It's definitely not as direct as this other stuff; his videos are less than 10 minutes while the GX ones are over an hour. He also always had a guest so it wasn't scripted. But I wouldn't be surprised if the idea for the series was copped.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
posting again since we are back on track:

This one posted by Burly is just blatant as shit: https://www.resetera.com/posts/11472186/

Polygon:

"Otherwise, the two games will remain largely identical to their older counterparts. But at a Los Angeles press event on Wednesday, I was treated to a bit of Bayonetta 2 on the Switch console, and was pleasantly surprised by how much it holds up and by how good it looks on a 60-inch TV. The increased frame rate allows for smoother gameplay, so you can dodge attacks with relative ease and finish off enemies with your chainsaw boots. I know a lot of people would've hoped for 1080p and 60fps, but even at 720p, it looks great."

Filip:

"In regards to the amount of content included, both games seem to have remained virtually identical to their previous counterpart consoles. Despite the game's lower resolution, they both looked absolutely stunning on the 60-inch TV I played on, and the increased frame rate provided a much smoother play experience which made my time with the game much more enjoyable as a whole. A lot of us were expecting 1080p/60 fps for this one, but even while running at 720p, it still manages to look fantastic."

Dec 2, 2017
It still makes no sense as to why you'd take what would be a dream job for so many people, getting paid to play and review video games, and then not do it? What's even the point.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how writing a review is such a laborious process that it would ever warrant even the DESIRE for plagiarism. Reviews aren't exactly meticulously-written long-form journalism that takes weeks or months to prepare. All you do is play the game and present your opinions about it, often as quickly as you can. We do that kind of the thing all the time on forums, and he couldn't even muster the ability to write his own content with something THAT fucking simple?

It's sheer laziness and pathological lying to the extreme and given his arrogance about this fiasco, he deserves no sympathy for his Internet-wide takedown. I can't believe how his actions embarrassed and damaged the reputation of hundreds of hard-working people at IGN. Unfortunately IGN is getting blasted all across the Internet because of this and many will have a hard time trusting ANY IGN reviews going forward.

Reviewing games is one of the easiest job you can do.
People are getting paid to actively play games and write 4 paragraphs about what they played.
Finishing a game isnt even required. You dont need to be good at it.

Yet you have people who want it even easier.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
This will affect the Metacrtic rating for the reviews that IGN are pulling, right? The impact of this guy's plagiarism goes quite deep. Even his friends, family and loved ones will be questioning everything about him - all the love and support he would have been given as he started his career, all the praise and congratulations, all of it based on pure lies, theft and deceit. I couldn't live with myself if I'd have done that.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Reading Dan's Stapletons reply that there is no software for plagiarism. There is a software. I recall when I was in Uni for a "paper" I did, you had to submit it to a 3rd party website that actually scours the internet and other Uni's that you didn't plagiarize your work. That was like 15 years ago. How the hell isn't there a software to check plagiarism online nowadays??
The internet is literally not all uploaded on a single database that check's each new addition. There is also no software that cross checks videos, google has not even attempted this on YouTube.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
posting again since we are back on track:

This one posted by Burly is just blatant as shit: https://www.resetera.com/posts/11472186/

Polygon:

"Otherwise, the two games will remain largely identical to their older counterparts. But at a Los Angeles press event on Wednesday, I was treated to a bit of Bayonetta 2 on the Switch console, and was pleasantly surprised by how much it holds up and by how good it looks on a 60-inch TV. The increased frame rate allows for smoother gameplay, so you can dodge attacks with relative ease and finish off enemies with your chainsaw boots. I know a lot of people would've hoped for 1080p and 60fps, but even at 720p, it looks great."

Filip:

"In regards to the amount of content included, both games seem to have remained virtually identical to their previous counterpart consoles. Despite the game's lower resolution, they both looked absolutely stunning on the 60-inch TV I played on, and the increased frame rate provided a much smoother play experience which made my time with the game much more enjoyable as a whole. A lot of us were expecting 1080p/60 fps for this one, but even while running at 720p, it still manages to look fantastic."

I really wanna know if he has a 60 inch tv

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
How many plagiarised articles have been found?
From my count it was
Dead Cells
Fifa 18
Samus Returns
Hd rumble
Bayonetta 2
Octopath traveller.

Any others?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I have discovered that I can no longer enjoy ERA threads. It's terrible that I am forced to always wonder when I see SweetNicole and think, "is she here because of plagiarism? Or is she here because of SJW pressure??"

I hate that. I hate that I can't just sit back and enjoy a good thread without having this intellectual itch, gnawing at me.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Filip is either an incredibly lazy writer and does the review last minute or as soon as he finds a review he likes. Or he suffers a rare case of photographic memory that interferes with his writing.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
That is why I like Angry Joe's review. Ignoring some forced jokes, it is like talking to a friend about a game. He shares his views, what he liked, what he didn't. And that is it. It's not about agreeing, it's about hearing from another person what they thought about it

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
How many plagiarised articles have been found?
From my count it was
Dead Cells
Fifa 18
Samus Returns
Hd rumble
Bayonetta 2
Octopath traveller.

Any others?
The Octopath incident is kind of two-in-one, since it took lines from both Polygon's review and the IGN review written by one of Filip's former peers.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if he's ever copied anything we've done? I suspect not but that would certainly be amusing.

I'm genuinely in awe at how deep this goes. The guy built his whole career on copying the works of others.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I could never write 4 paragraphs about a video game but i also would never try to make that my job either.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is why I like Angry Joe's review. Ignoring some forced jokes, it is like talking to a friend about a game. He shares his views, what he liked, what he didn't. And that is it. It's not about agreeing, it's about hearing from another person what they thought about it

Yeah, I've come to appreciate guys like Angry Joe more and more over the years for precisely this reason.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What a utter mess.

However late, I really feel bad for IGN after all this. Their next editor will have to be someone special. IGN is going to spend a lot of effort on their hiring prosess.

Wish them the best on their recovery.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
It now makes complete sense why he looked so uncomfortable in the IGN podcast with barely any input.
The guy just didn't have any ability to formulate his own thoughts into words.