• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What was he thinking when he challenged Schreier to find more examples of plagiarism? Did he really think nobody would find anything? What an imbecile.

This is why:

This guy is the Gilderoy Lockhart of game reviews.
latest

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
You can't be a lazy, pathological liar and frequently emotionally abuse and manipulate people for your gain...and also be an empathetic and well-adjusted human being.
Nah... from all the stuff that has surfaced it looks like some form of personality disorder. Which would also explain why he didn't think he did anything wrong and challenged the world to find more evidence. The guy created a bubble he lives in. He is in need of professional help. I feel sorry for the people close to him right now :/

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Looking at the cached version...

http:///WESc.png

He probably didn't directly copy anything but I'd imagine he at least watched and took notes. The changes to texture filtering and shadows are SO subtle that I only noticed them when flipping between shots of Wii U and Switch. Can't imagine he would have picked up on that.

Seems highly unlikely for him to notice those small technical details. I think it's safe to say that his normal procedure of creating content was:

- Reading / watching other reviews / analysis / even forum posts
- Extracting parts of those articles / videos / posts
- Putting them together in his "own work", rephrasing those collected parts slightly.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if, in his mind, this is what journalism is. Crowdsourcing opinion and presenting it in an aggregated fashion.
That's *exactly* what he was alluding to in his apology video.

He claimed that "researching" other people's views and reviews of games is legitimate while reviewing a game.

It's completely the opposite. A review is *your* views, your personal journey with a game. Unabridged by other influence. Instead it is clear why he said what he did. His content was little more than rewording the works of others and taking full credit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he honestly thought this was how the industry works, which is completely depressing.

Spectone

Ugh, a former IGN staffer opens up about her experiences with Filip. He sounds outrageously manipulative.

Dkns6EBUUAY1y1x.jpg

Dkns6mtU0AEA28f.jpg

Looking at the cached version...

http:///WESc.png

He probably didn't directly copy anything but I'd imagine he at least watched and took notes. The changes to texture filtering and shadows are SO subtle that I only noticed them when flipping between shots of Wii U and Switch. Can't imagine he would have picked up on that.

This guy is so scummy.

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with the news

So Bayonetta 2 and Octopath reviews were copied. Anyone got the example for Octopath review. Then former IGN NVC host had a few bad words to say on Twitter. New things are happening fast it's hard to keep up, the OP needs to be updated with everything including Kotaku response to Neogaf post being copied saying there are more examples.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i think the real joke on the whole story is his 2014 tweet about " if you steal from one author it´s plagiarism, when you steal from many it is research"

he really followed this guideline...

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with the news

So Bayonetta 2 and Octopath reviews were copied. Anyone got the example for Octopath review. Then former IGN NVC host had a few bad words to say on Twitter. New things are happening fast it's hard to keep up, the OP needs to be updated with everything including Kotaku response to Neogaf post being copied saying there are more examples.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/11473028/

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I think it is safe to say everything this dude has written or produced was in some way stolen from somewhere else. Probably has been doing it from the first time he got homework.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I think it is safe to say everything this dude has written or produced was in some way stolen from somewhere else. Probably has been doing it from the first time he got homework.

Sure is starting to look like it.

This is bizarre to me. I guess he thought nobody would ever find out? Or it wasn't a big deal?

Oct 28, 2017
IGN, publicly apologize and scrub all of Miucin's content on IGN or you can kiss your business goodbye.

It's pretty easy to get invested on here but a particular event provoking a 50+ page thread on Resetera doesn't have any bearing on the broader community's reaction to, knowledge or understanding of said event. Miucin's antics disappeared from the front page of r/gaming days ago and 99% of the gaming community probably couldn't name a single writer on IGN's team, let alone care that one of them was doing something unethical.

IGN will be fine and nobody will care within the month, like always.

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you

Can we have the OP updates with all the reviews he copied, Fire Emblem, Octopath, Metroid, FIFA, Dead Cells, Bayonetta 2, HD Rumble.Also a transcript of his deleted apology.

Then have all the nitty details of responses, Kotaku stating there are more examples, HD rumble guy saying he didn't know what he was on about, Dreamcast guys personal opinion of him as he knows him. Former IGN NVC staff tweet about him and etc. All this needs to be nicely collated. As he most likely reads Era after all he stole from GAF it would be nice not only for everyone to see everything we have on him but also for.himself to see.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy to get invested on here but a particular event provoking a 50+ page thread on Resetera doesn't have any bearing on the broader community's reaction to, knowledge or understanding of said event. Miucin's antics disappeared from the front page of r/gaming days ago and 99% of the gaming community probably couldn't name a single writer on IGN's team, let alone care that one of them was doing something unethical.

It's a copypasta (Yes, with deliberate irony,) of a famous GAF post.

Not to be taken that seriously.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I just don't understand how writing a review is such a laborious process that it would ever warrant even the DESIRE for plagiarism. Reviews aren't exactly meticulously-written long-form journalism that takes weeks or months to prepare. All you do is play the game and present your opinions about it, often as quickly as you can. We do that kind of the thing all the time on forums, and he couldn't even muster the ability to write his own content with something THAT fucking simple.

I'm no game reviewer, but playing many games, especially to completion, is a long process. I spent nearly 100 hours in Persona 5 and that was spread over several months. Reviewers are working on much, much shorter timelines. It's not playing for fun for them, especially in a situation like that. I'd fucking hate that game if I had to compress my play time down to one or two weeks.

And I suppose anyone could have an opinion; a 10 year old could play a game and say what they liked or didn't like. However, writing for a major publication isn't your third grade book report. Putting the game in context (the genre, the company, consumer reaction), and then also making your opinion worth reading and readable? That's not easy. There's really only one review site I read regularly, and that's because I feel like they do a lot of those things most of the time.

*chef's kiss*

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really "funny" how people predicted that this would happen, i.e more examples of his plagiarism showing up, and yet people kept defending him because it happened only once or twice. Hope you learned your lesson not to cape for fucking thieves.

"Plagiarism is no crime but that doesn't matter because there was No Plagiarism (except by Press Sneak Fuck and Slowtaku)!"

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you

Can we have the OP updates with all the reviews he copied, Fire Emblem, Octopath, Metroid, FIFA, Dead Cells, Bayonetta 2, HD Rumble.Also a transcript of his deleted apology.

Then have all the nitty details of responses, Kotaku stating there are more examples, HD rumble guy saying he didn't know what he was on about, Dreamcast guys personal opinion of him as he knows him. Former IGN NVC staff tweet about him and etc. All this needs to be nicely collated. As he most likely reads Era after all he stole from GAF it would be nice not only for everyone to see everything we have on him but also for.himself to see.

Make a post with all that info, and the OP will put it in the OP.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you

he didnt do IGN octopath traveler review

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Disagreed; the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As noted by u/captainporcupine3 via reddit, Filip apparently lifted his "thoughts" on Fire Emblem Warriors from an article published by Nintendo Wire.

Man. It's one thing to plagiarize something that is unique such as expertise or knowledge, but how do you plagiarize someone's opinion? This is word for word stolen. I'm honestly starting to wonder if this guy legitimately doesn't understand what plagiarism is, hence his awful apology, or if he's just that big of a scumbag.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
That is why I like Angry Joe's review. Ignoring some forced jokes, it is like talking to a friend about a game. He shares his views, what he liked, what he didn't. And that is it. It's not about agreeing, it's about hearing from another person what they thought about it

Yup. I disagree with Joe sometimes, but he really is one of my favourites just because of this. I of course don't think his opinions are the best, but he comes across as genuine, honest and makes it fun to watch lol

Golden.

Does Filip actually have an opinion, holy shit. Not even his own deleted apology video seemed to be anything but copied.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man. It's one thing to plagiarize something that is unique such as expertise or knowledge, but how do you plagiarize someone's opinion? This is word for word stolen. I'm honestly starting to wonder if this guy legitimately doesn't understand what plagiarism is, hence his awful apology, or if he's just that big of a scumbag.
I think it's a mixture of laziness and apathy.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

What's even worse is that Nintendo Wire's article was based on the experience the author had while playing the game at E3 2017. Filip attempted to play it off as his own opinions he formed after playing the game at the following San Diego Comic-Con.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
As a general rule, I'd advise saying when an image you're posting is fake. Muddying the waters doesn't help anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
I hear Phil is planning on writing a novel to take some time away from the industry. It apparently is about a man named Ahab and his search for a large, black whale.