IGN to scrub Filip Miucin from site almost completely after even more plagiarism surfaces (READ OP)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I was very much on the 'his life and career are ruined, leave him alone' side but the more that's been uncovered, I want to see how much of a fraud this guy really is. Is his degree faked? Was his position at Proko.com bs? Like did a friend of his just say 'yeah, I run this site, you can put it on your resume' as a favor? Is this guy really even Filip Miucin?
“Leave him alone” in terms of harassing him or his family directly, yeah, that shit should have never happened in first place. But it seems like for too many people “leave him alone” means “stop discussing the additional instances of plagiarism that are being uncovered on a fairly regular basis” and fuck that. The people he worked with and the people he stole from have every right to know.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. My game playing has dropped dramatically since becoming a father. But damn the stories of the past few years have kept me occupied. This might be my favorite one yet.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Ruining this guy's life and career isn't the end goal of this. The end goal needs to be to never stop digging until we (the collective we, I personally ain't doing anything of value) reach the depths of his malfeasance and this digging is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WARRANTED, both by this dudes deeds and by the action (or lack thereof) he's taken since being discovered. People trying to come up with excuses to defend this guy need to really fucking quit it because it's getting old. The guy has done literally nothing to warrant having a defense force, and nobody in this thread or at any outlet that is covering this is doing anything to necessitate being lumped in with any harassment this guy might be experiencing as a result of this. Like it or not this is a legitimately massive event in the history of games and it's worthy of being discussed and probed until it's fully run its course. It's bigger than Filip Miucin. People coming in here and saying we should feel guilty about discussing this if this dude does something drastic are severe assholes. What this guy does moving forward is completely up to him but it's absolutely divorced from any further narrative that happens in the wake of this, whether it be here or on Twitter, Reddit, Kotaku, wherever...

Aevum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he is aware of the board but he wouldn't be reading this unless he was trying to make himself feel worse. It's possible he's reading the thread but far from likely.
Well, his day already seems full enough playing whack-a-mole on YouTube, seeking to administer copyright strikes against every relevant video in sight. Which appears to evince an ongoing lack of remorse.

labpleb

Feb 6, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Why would you put that in quotes when that wasn't what was said? That's not how quotes work. He said there is more in his past. He never used the word expose or alluded to it being personal.
Fam, chill. I literally quote-responded to the post with his tweet. Everyone could see what I was talking about. I used the quotation marks to show that I'm unsure of Jason's findings about Miucin's past, i.e. if they are of personal nature bc that's what I associate the abstract concept of "past" with and also to express that I think "exposing" personal stuff would not be okay in this case. I used the quotation marks as scare quotes, which I think is absolutely okay in this case because I directly linked the thing I was referencing.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Where I work out company has a 3rd party who does this check. They don't even have to do this internally they can even out souce some of the recruitment process. My company the recruitment process is extremely rigid.
And yet they have to fire people for on the job performance, on the job plagiarism, even a Analyst that seems to have been incompatant for over 7 months after your peerless firm’s ironclad recruitment process...
Your out sourced HR seems to be generating a remarkable number of unfit pers.

Queen Kong

Out of Kongtrol
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: This is not a thread to discuss mental health or Filip Miucin's family. Stick to the topic please.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Over-under on Filip actually being a Russian troll?

I mean, they did those Pokemon leaks on election day, right? Dudes have reach.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I just want to know what the other shocking info Jason has is.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious to think that Filip, for a second, might have thought his crappy apology video with a sigh, jittery voice, and dramatic ending was actually gonna work. Lmao.

HotHamBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I have to ask for the third time: Why did he even want this job if he didn't enjoy actually doing it? There's no fame or money in it.

How deep does this go?

I think this is an interesting and important point regarding this issue and the impact & responsibility of gaming journalism, in general.

This is a massive industry, bigger than Hollywood, but there's a lot of flimsy work done covering it. I think it goes all the way back to the total dog shit of early gaming magazines, where this whole thing started as a lark for a much smaller audience that was largely considered to be playing with toys for kids and nerds.

Oct 25, 2017
Kudos must go to the mod team and the overall administrative group for tightening things up, while it's a fluid and developing event (due in no small part to Kotaku's rolling coverage, it's like a police chase) there are real people involved and nobody likes dirty laundry aired.

Ask yourself, what are you going to do? I don't bother with stuff like PAX but am seriously considering attending one of them soon just so I can personally show some support to the IGN folks. You should thank them and show them that they are still appreciated by the gaming community for all the hard work they put in.

On a related note, I am a little bit amused this has momentarily bounced the other 'is it stealing' topic from earlier (the rom site takedowns) - gee whiz.

_Karooo

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you are really bad at journalism you can write, write and write; read, read and read to get better. Copying and stealing is so bad. It never gives you a chance to grow.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Holy shit. And people thought Schreier was being a bit too harsh.
Oh I remember the game Inner Space. He talked about it on NVC and it did seem he didn’t fully understand that game.

I believe I remember it being the first game he “reviewed” as part of IGN.

The review itself as with everything else was taken off IGN though.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I have to ask for the third time: Why did he even want this job if he didn't enjoy actually doing it? There's no fame or money in it.

I think this is an interesting and important point regarding this issue and the impact & responsibility of gaming journalism, in general.

This is a massive industry, bigger than Hollywood, but there's a lot of flimsy work done covering it. I think it goes all the way back to the total dog shit of early gaming magazines, where this whole thing started as a lark for a much smaller audience that was largely considered to be playing with toys for kids and nerds.
Speaking of other industries or markets besides video games, has there been any other writer who plagiarized or continues to plagiarize as much as Filip has?