• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The thing is that Filip is a really good video editor, and if he just did some halfassed original journalism, he could have done pretty well with that under his belt.

Maybe someone in games media will hire him just as video editor

He seems to be pretty good at that side of things, he was just either lazy or bad at writing

I think you need to be a pretty big asshole to actually steal the work of others for your own gain, so that will probably be a bigger hurdle when it comes to getting hired to work in games again

Either way, he's not a kid, he's in his late 20s, so there is no excuse

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a goddamn disrespectful moron. He's gotten way too much attention too, which luckily is very negative attention.

Go hide in your shitty YouTube hole where you belong, while making false excuses. Your name is plastered all over the internet and I hope you never find a decent career in "journalism" again.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Plagiarism works when people aren't paying attention, when someone can just steal without getting noticed.

No, this needs highlighting and all cases exposed so the people affected know and more importantly, an example made to remind all in the industry and all who want to join that this is truly unacceptable.

Besides nobody here is following anyone. We are discussing a news story. What's the harm in that?

Remember, it was Filip who challenged Jason et al to find more examples of plagiarism. You can't blame people for doing just that.

I feel like that was achieved already, but it's good to see people so proactive.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus it really is everything he has produced at this point. If even some freaking quick impressions from a show floor is something he feels he has to copy from someone else that to me really cements the fact that he never even liked this job in the first place.

Like it's fucking impressions, you just have to say anything that comes out of your mind in regards to the game you played, doesn't even have to be that detailed, just enough to convey if you liked the game or not.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
This situation reminds me of a Key & Peele sketch where Key plays a politician accused of sending dick pics. At first he denies it, but then admits it was only one time. Then media found out a whole bunch of dick pics.

Don't know why but I found this situation quite similar lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: He's going to come out and say he suffers from depression due to someone in his family dying or something else happening in his life, and all will be forgotten.

It's a shame because people like him who are happy to manipulate their audience like how BitBlock does, really downplays how important it is for people who actually do suffer from depression need all the help they can get.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He seems to be pretty good at that side of things, he was just either lazy or bad at writing

I think you need to be a pretty big asshole to actually steal the work of others for your own gain, so that will probably be a bigger hurdle when it comes to getting hired to work in games again

Nobody with a hint of self respect will hire them for anything videogame related again.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Called it in the first thread:
The stream is gone. It has to be expected that most of his public contributions to IGN are possibly going to be purged.
Plagiarism in a creative industry is basically career suicide, and employers tend to hide those. It might even have an impact on things that he produced that weren't plagiarised. That's how bad it is.

I saw a case where a well-respected pixel-artist once plagiarised an icon from a JRPG for a small MMO (Fantasy Online). The dev decided that all of the content he ever produced (years worth) would be wiped out and had to be replaced. The whole game, development and community suffered because of it.
Since he was new to IGN that's hopefully still an easy process to do...
(Compared to the game I use in my anecdote where it was a stressful catastrophy that maybe led to the closure of the game by the dev some time afterwards.)

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe he even challenged people in his apology video to find more, fully aware that he plagiarized tons of shit. What did he think was going to happen

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
So what exactly is the story here? This man steals other people's content? Why even bother to keep following him? Just ignore him and let him fade into irrelevance.

While I agree that'd be a good thing to do, plagiarism is one of the worst offences in industry. It's something every kid is taught not to do back in school, and for a person to have had a job many would dream of and throw it all away is newsworthy and warrants discussion. Plagiarism is a terrible offence and steals the work of others in the industry, some of which are from smaller channels who could only dream of getting bigger. The absolute cheek for Miucin to post a monetised apology video and not admitting his practice of plagiarism leads a bad example and deserves to be challenged. Heck, he even challenged the internet and Schreier himself to find attempts of plagiarism. He deserves this, though what he doesn't deserve is for his family to be attacked.

You need to uphold standards in this industry. Filip Miucin went against these standards and tried to get away with it while working at one of the most popular gaming outlets in the world. It's a disgrace and it needs to be discussed.

Oct 30, 2017
From his now deleted apology video

This part is what really hits home for me

"I was lucky enough to get noticed on IGN on my youtube channel, which if in case you're wondering, is in fact, all of my own original work. So you kan keep looking Kotaku, and please let me know if you find anything"

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I can't believe he even challenged people in his apology video to find more, fully aware that he plagiarized tons of shit. What did he think was going to happen

I guess he felt safe because he mostly "converted" content from videos to written stuff or took written stuff for his videos, making it not totally straight forward to notice. He was wrong, obviously.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be very interesting to see what his first new video on his YouTube channel will be.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
TIL that I've been in the wrong line of work.
If I could just shuffle around somebody else's work into a digestible video format, and then monetize it (of course), I'd be rolling in cash!

This whole thing kinda reminds me of that time I met another songwriter, which should've been great because they share my interests... except they said "songwriting is so easy, you just need to learn somebody else's song, change it up a bit, and then you have something new!"
I was crushed.
That said I don't think they got anywhere with that method.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
From his now deleted apology video

This part is what really hits home for me

"I was lucky enough to get noticed on IGN on my youtube channel, which if in case you're wondering, is in fact, all of my own original work. So you kan keep looking Kotaku, and please let me know if you find anything"
Lol yeah. Actually, Jason responded in a tweet later after that, providing what Filip just asked in the video.

He's so confident and actually challenged people to find more proof. It's hilarious.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I hope this unearthing continues, not to kick him while he's down, but for the people who's work he stole to be recognised.

I think he's probably in his early 30's. He has 2 kids in the 8-10 range if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

I've been thinking about it and I feel like the most likely answer is that they simply didn't understand what qualifies as plagarism.

Some folks in the old thread didn't either, so it doesn't seem unlikely that during his research he just decided to lift some sentences from other reviews thinking it's a completely normal thing to do so and thought that plagarism, in fact, is basically making an exact replica of someone else's work and anything less isn't.

-snip, rest didn't matter cause holy shit- v

As noted by u/captainporcupine3 via reddit, Filip apparently lifted his "thoughts" on Fire Emblem Warriors from an article published by Nintendo Wire.

Scratch everything I said, after seeing this I refuse to believe they didn't 100% know they were plagarizing. Jesus christ.

Last edited:

matzy

Jun 13, 2018
The human "metacritic" ... providing a summary of the opinions of others ;)

Im sure it has been said before - but if this chap thought "soaking in" as much information as possible from various sources when writing a review was the way to go (including other reviews), he was lining himself up for a fall from grace from the start.

Its just a shame his "approach" to reviews wasnt exposed earlier (i.e. before he was hired or during his rise through IGN).

Anyway, I hope IGN sails the storm and that Filip learns from this and find a new path.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
I have the misfortune of having to often work with 'influencers' and 'youtubers' and they are by far the least talented and most unprofessional people I have ever worked with.

The vast majority of the ones I've worked with have no training or education in the field they work in, have no moral compass, will practically say ANYTHING for a decent enough freebie and hilariously think the fact that 10,000 people watched their videos on YouTube because they are good looking and say the right things automatically gives them the right to be a journalist.

It gets worse when they are asked to write articles and they can't rely on their charm and video tricks. I've spent hours re-writing stuff that wouldn't even be decent or readable in a personal blog.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on IGN for taking the right steps. Not only is this embarrassing for them but it will also prove to give them a non-insignificant loss of revenue as they try to restore some of the content they've had to remove such as reviews.

Miucin, if you are reading this, send out a public statement, acknowledge that everything is true and apologize. Don't make any excuses, don't try to justify it. Apologize and go out of the spotlight for a while.

Also try not to lift your apology speech from someone else. Be genuine, for once.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 month old comments from that video:

5inPU2Q.png
OOF

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I have the misfortune of having to often work with 'influencers' and 'youtubers' and they are by far the least talented and most unprofessional people I have ever worked with.

The vast majority of the ones I've worked with have no training or education in the field they work in, have no moral compass, will practically say ANYTHING for a decent enough freebie and hilariously think the fact that 10,000 people watched their videos on YouTube because they are good looking and say the right things automatically gives them the right to be a journalist.

It gets worse when they are asked to write articles and they can't rely on their charm and video tricks. I've spent hours re-writing stuff that wouldn't even be decent or readable in a personal blog.

The low barrier of entry makes it attractive for all kinds of people. I bet publishers love the new wave of influencers.

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I'm going to need reconstructive jaw surgery. It just keeps dropping to the floor. Don't know how many more drops it can take.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I suspect he believed the sources he stole from were too obscure to be discovered so easily, and more importantly that his content being presented in video form instead of text would further obscure it.

He most likely didn't realise how easily some simple Google searches would expose his plagiarism permeating throughout his entire body of work. Perhaps he also believed that throwing in some superlatives might make it qualify it as original content, and thus protect him from scrutiny. I don't doubt he dared them to look for examples because he believed they wouldn't be able to prove it.

The E3 impressions video is particularly insidious IMO. Not just because he lifted a lot of different content to use in that video, but the way he structures the lead in to that material to further convey it as his own. As though he thought "Oh this bit compares it to Super Mario 64, so I better be sure to talk about it before I get to that bit". It's actually worse than copying verbatim, since it shows he went out of his way to deceive his audience.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
IGN has gone above and beyond to do what's right. I have more respect for them after this entire mess, than before.

I honestly feel for them in this specific circumstance

Yeah they have handled this really well and have unquestionably done the right thing at every turn

They have been hugely let down and must be furious at how things have unfolded

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Play the video in one tab while reading the article in another. You'll have one incredible experience.
It's silly how blatant this is. There's a series of sentences he's using verbatim. And of course he says he had the most fun playing as Marth, because the author of the article he copied said they had the most fun playing as Marth. He can't even put a tiny amount of his own opinion in there, it's all based on that article.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy never wrote or filmed a single piece of original content, did he? That's dedication, it must be hard to spend so long doing this and not once get the urge to create something yourself.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviewing games is one of the easiest job you can do.
People are getting paid to actively play games and write 4 paragraphs about what they played.
Finishing a game isnt even required. You dont need to be good at it.

Yet you have people who want it even easier.
I write gamereviews for a small blog and it is harder than you think it is. I'm not getting paid nor did I learn anything in that direction. So it's by far not professional what I do but I can tell you that in fact it is not "easy" .

Some reviews with merely 800 words took me couple of days to whip up.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
We need a constantly updated list of all the stuff he plagiarized. It's too much to bear in mind at this point.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's silly how blatant this is. There's a series of sentences he's using verbatim. And of course he says he had the most fun playing as Marth, because the author of the article he copied said they had the most fun playing as Marth. He can't even put a tiny amount of his own opinion in there, it's all based on that article.
Please tell me this guy isnt over 20 years old.

Oct 27, 2017

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
"It is impossible to be a maverick or a true original if you're too well behaved or don't want to break the rules. You have to think outside the box. That's what I believe. After all, what is the point of being on this earth if all you want to do is be liked by everyone and avoid trouble?" -

Is this for real?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I write gamereviews for a small blog and it is harder than you think it is. I'm not getting paid nor did I learn anything in that direction. So it's by far not professional what I do but I can tell you that in fact it is not "easy" .

Some reviews with merely 800 words took me couple of days to whip up.

It's not about what I think though, it's about what I did. I reviewed games for a rather big (locally) nintendo website. I also reported new. I wasn't getting paid either nor it was what my major was about. The difficult part here was to find time to play games, write about games and study. If I was paid for it though ? It would've been a freaking easy job.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what an idiot. With this amount of plagiarizing, this guy was total fraud and in the wrong profession if he couldn't formulate his own thoughts.

What a bizarre story. He seemed like a nice enough guy on NVC, but I don't know how he could have expected to keep getting away with this when he was on one of the biggest video game outlets and stealing from people who are bound to run across his Nintendo content, especially since the number of YouTubers and outlets that actually cover Nintendo's platforms aren't very many.