• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
This whole story has gotten so crazy. How could someone copy so much and not expect to be found out? Just a few days ago he was daring people to look for more. Like... what? Has he crossed over into intentionally self destructive behavior?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
would be a good move to remove all his content from the site. so the internet can leave this topic alone, and filip can go get a job he cant plagiarise in and take care of his family before the internet hate destroys that as well.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
Another redemption?

Have you skipped the bit where it has been found that his entire body of work is littered with plagiarism?

This isn't one, or two, or three cases. There are dozens of examples now.

There is no way he deserves a Mulligan now.

He should not be involved in any field of journalism and his credibility in gaming circles will never return.

Let's not forget the fact that he is a manipulative asshole that uses people for his own gain. Yeah, fuck him.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Thinking of him earning his money by mostly stealing the work of others and slightly rephrase it is bonkers. Minimal effort. That sure sounds like a dream job!

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
We need a constantly updated list of all the stuff he plagiarized. It's too much to bear in mind at this point.
So far evidence of plagiarism has been found for the following:

I might have missed something here, but even so, very damning stuff.

EDIT: For posterity here's an archived version of Filip's infamous response to the allegations: https://archive.org/details/youtube-w_PPI9e0Nnw

EDIT 2: Correcting link to Polygon's Bayonetta 2 review. I accidentally linked the Wii U review instead of the Switch one, which is the one Filip plagiarised.

EDIT 3: Added another example: Pokken Tournament DX review

EDIT 4: HAHAHA HE EVEN PLAGIARISED HIS RESUME OMG I'M DEAD

Last edited:

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
The Fire Emblem Warriors stuff is hilarious. It's so blatant that it's actually mind-boggling he didn't get caught earlier.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This whole story has gotten so crazy. How could someone copy so much and not expect to be found out? Just a few days ago he was daring people to look for more. Like... what? Has he crossed over into intentionally self destructive behavior?
Probably a bluff he thought it wouldn't be called cause he's too dumb to understand how the internet works.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not shocking at all.

Once they caught him, they knew that there was going to be a shit load of bodies waiting to be excavated.

It's not crazy at all, people who plagiarize in an industry like this are serial plagiarizers. IGN knew there was going to be probably dozens of reviews he lifted from others once they got an investigation rolling.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
People saying they feel sorry for him and he has to provide for his family.

He can easily get a job in a supermarket, fast food restaurant etc. There are millions of americans with low paying jobs and they also have kids. Unfortunately he can't use IGN as a employment reference. He can't use his YouTube channel to show employers he can do something in a similar field as a tiny bit of research the employer will know who he is and what he did. The only hope he has is to do something completely different in his career or get a low paying job. Having to tell you wife about the situation must be tough. Let's hope she hasn't seen how far the rabbit hole was.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how much worse he made the situation by uploading this apology video. People would have moved on a couple of days later ....sure he lost his current gig but at least for the public it was based on one article/review. Many still had the mindset that it was a one time thing and he maybe had too much work load to get the video done in time. His articles would still have been on IGN and a reference for future work or employees.

But man after this .....damn.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
He has good production and editing skills. Im sure he can find a job somewhere. What he really needs is seek help for his personality disorder.

Deleted member 4208

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Dead Cells review (copied from Boomstick Gaming review)
  • FIFA 18 review (copied from Chris Scullion's review for NintendoLife)
  • Bayonetta 2 review (copied from Polygon review)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns review (copied from Engadget review)
  • Octopath Traveller review (copied from Polygon review and something written by a former IGN employee)
  • Fire Emblem preview (copied from NintendoWire preview)
  • Switch Rumble explanation (copied from NeoGAF post)
  • E3 impressions
    • Fire Emblem Warriors (copied from Goomba Stomp)
    • Pokken Tournament DX (copied from The Iris)
    • Mario vs Rabbids (copied from NintendoWire)
    • Super Mario Odyssey (copied from Sydney Morning Herald)
    • Sonic Mania (copied from NintendoLife and TrueAchievements previews)

Thanks for compiling this. I didn't know about him copying from an article from a fellow writer at IGN. I can't decide whether that or the verbatim copying of Cartho's GAF post is the most brazen out of all of these.

He knew all of this was out there and dared Schreier to find more... why?!

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I am being 100% honest here: I had no idea you posted that

Also that link doesn't lead anywhere?

Edit: ah, I figured it out. You're on 100ppp like a loser

(No but for real I had no idea there was a podcast about it either, I read that story when it came out back in April)
Ha, this is best! I would like to point out for those who think plagiarism can happen on accident that you used entirely different words/phrasing/length to describe the same event. There's no "on a 60-inch TV" overlap.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I saw Filip at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Oh
My
God

Oct 27, 2017
This is the story that keeps on giving. At this point I don't know if he's ever produced original content, and that's wild to think about considering how he got here.

It's gotten so bad that the defense force atomized on sight. Couldn't shut those people up in the first thread, now you can't get a peep out of them.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
i think the real joke on the whole story is his 2014 tweet about " if you steal from one author it´s plagiarism, when you steal from many it is research"

he really followed this guideline...

He uses the word research to justify his plagiarism. That's the lie he tells himself to justify to wrong he's doing. That tweet is him being self aware of who he is and justifying it.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
People saying they feel sorry for him and he has to provide for his family.

He can easily get a job in a supermarket, fast food restaurant etc. There are millions of americans with low paying jobs and they also have kids. Unfortunately he can't use IGN as a employment reference. He can't use his YouTube channel to show employers he can do something in a similar field as a tiny bit of research the employer will know who he is and what he did. The only hope he has is to do something completely different in his career or get a low paying job. Having to tell you wife about the situation must be tough. Let's hope she hasn't seen how far the rabbit hole was.

I was actually trying to imagine the conversation I would have with my wife if I had done the same thing he did. Imagine how she must feel right now. I feel bad for her and the kids.

Oct 30, 2017
I was actually trying to imagine the conversation I would have with my wife if I had done the same thing he did. Imagine how she must feel right now. I feel bad for her and the kids.

I really doubt he told her everything

Probably told her he did research and unintentionally copied some parts which got him fired and how IGN is a terrible place to work for.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
People need to start looking into a class action lawsuit.

This stuff is not to be joked around with, considering he was making money off all these videos based on other people's work.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

This stuff is not to be joked around with, considering he was making money off all these videos based on other people's work.

The cost to file such a thing vs how little was made wouldn't make it worth it. It's why situations like DH sueing Jim Sterling are so rare.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As noted by u/captainporcupine3 via reddit, Filip apparently lifted his "thoughts" on Fire Emblem Warriors from an article published by Nintendo Wire.

tumblr_myhqrspQq21shf9jmo1_400.gif

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

lol no. IGN have every right to sue him (although I don't think they will), but a class action? Under what pretenses? I'm enjoying watching how far the rabbit hole is opening up, but wishing expensive legal action on the guy? He's a fucking idiot for thinking this would fly and is getting called out, but I don't want to see anyone's life totally ruined

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017

Wait this the current list ?
Things go so fast.
But how do you copy e3 impressions ? O_o
It's supposed to be your own thoughts regarding a game you've tried or a trailer you saw.
And here I thought the GAF POST COPY was the lowest bar ......

Oct 30, 2017
lol no. IGN have every right to sue him (although I don't think they will), but a class action? Under what pretenses? I'm enjoying watching how far the rabbit hole is opening up, but wishing expensive legal action on the guy? He's a fucking idiot for thinking this would fly and is getting called out, but I don't want to see anyone's life totally ruined

But should he have been paid for those YouTube ads?

Should he not reimburse the money he made from copied content?

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
If he'd delivered a proper apology, he might have been able to bounce back. Not to IGN, but to some small YouTube following. But noooooo, he had to be an arrogant little dick. And now the full extent of his lies are revealed, and he's basically never going to be hireable anywhere in writing.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

that fire emblem preview..
My God, the nerve. so blatant.

Oct 30, 2017
I still believe IGN shares responsibility in not vetting this hack well enough. Every day more evidence comes to light showing how blatant this shit was.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Jesus!

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He put up his "apology", got his monetization money, and I doubt he's coming back to the gaming world. Perhaps if he teamed up with someone who could write content for him and just plays the part of the YouTube personality. Either way, I don't think the majority of people are going to trust his content, in the future.