• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
My god is he dumb? Why would you dare the internet to find more when your whole career is founded on copying and slightly rewording other peoples work! He did not and does not deserve his job and career in the industry. I am sure he has a Era account and I believe it should be banned as we don't need people like that here

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I don't know it has been discussed here yet but, I have a weird feeling that he played all of us. I mean, he knew that there were lots of shitty things that he did in the past but we discovered only 2 of them, until his ridiculous apology video.

He wants more attention for a reason and now he gets it after that video.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
So far evidence of plagiarism has been found for the following:

I might have missed something here, but even so, very damning stuff.
This is freaking insane. His entire career is a farce and now I'm just left wondering when all this started. Did he plagiarise his way through school too?

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018

My god, this list grows so fast

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
He uses the word research to justify his plagiarism. That's the lie he tells himself to justify to wrong he's doing. That tweet is him being self aware of who he is and justifying it.
The thing is, you have to cite your source for research. Even if that's the case (justifying plagiarism with research), it only shows that he doesn't even understand the meaning of that term.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy part....if it wasnt for this Dead Cell Review....who knows how long this would have gone on.
IGN got lucky that he got exposed a couple month in.....imagine having a to scrub all the content from a respected senior staffer a couple years in.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
But should he have been paid for those YouTube ads?

Should he not reimburse the money he made from copied content?

OK, I'll bite. His entire YouTube channel has probably what, 5 million views? That works out to be around $5,000. Plus probably a couple of sponsorships, let's say 10 grand, tops. While it's shitty, it's not going to be 100% lifted content (I think the top viewed video is a Switch giveaway?)

To call for subjecting someone to a life-shattering class action over some lifted content is a shitty thing to consider. I do, however, think he should make some sort of donation to sites he's proven to have ripped off, especially smaller ones. But he won't do that. Because he's a scumbag.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
That grocery store encounter sounds like he is having a break down of some variety, which seems about right given the situation.

You fake your way through your "career" and get more heat than anyone else in gaming (which is incredible). If I was him I'd delete all accounts, grow a beard, move to one of the oil boom states and start working in the natural gas industry.

Either that or be a contractor in Afghanistan for a few years. Both pay significantly more, take little skill, provides for his children and gets him far away from this.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Ugh why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, as a professional gaming journalist, would you have to plagiarize your impressions of Super Mario Odyssey of all games? He could have just posted 100 smiley faces and it would have been acceptable.

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, as a professional gaming journalist, would you have to plagiarize your impressions of Super Mario Odyssey of all games? He could have just posted 100 smiley faces and it would have been acceptable.

Super Mario Oddysey is such a great game that makes me smile I'd have a thousand things to say. This isn't even a review just a impression. And he can't even do that.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Filip gonna change it up to blaming SJWs for dogpiling him and ruining his life and somehow Anita and Zoe Quinn are behind it all so subscribe to his patreon to help get the truth out.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
That grocery store encounter sounds like he is having a break down of some variety, which seems about right given the situation.

You fake your way through your "career" and get more heat than anyone else in gaming (which is incredible). If I was him I'd delete all accounts, grow a beard, move to one of the oil boom states and start working in the natural gas industry.

Either that or be a contractor in Afghanistan for a few years. Both pay significantly more, take little skill, provides for his children and gets him far away from this.

Is the story real? It sounds too crazy to be true.... but everything that keeps popping up seems that way. Maaaaaaaan what a trainwreck this is.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I've never really heard of this guy before, but I just scoured his Twitter page and it's a non-stop barrage of Nintendo advertisement. Literally all of it. Which would be fine under normal circumstances, but this guy was a journalist. He wrote reviews (well, I mean... he sorta did). Yet I look on Twitter and he just comes across an an enormous company shill. I know folks at IGN have their areas of expertise like Ryan with Microsoft and (back in the day) Colin and Greg with Sony, but their fandom never came off this strong.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Wonder if he's planning another video.

giphy.gif

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017

I just don't know how it got this bad. I understand that it's hard to trace videos but most of the plagiarisms happened to be from written sources and in this day and age, we know that there are systems in place to at least verify the authenticity of people's work. Reading the other thread is hilarious when people were downplaying this as if it was a one off thing and didn't deserve it blowing up. For one, he didn't really apologize for what he did. Writing an Apology letter/video isn't enough, it actually has to sincere and regret his actions which he didn't do and actually worsening the situation by challenging the community. Now we find out the plagiarisms worse.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
A character/ethical disaster like this will likely give any employer pause. How can you trust a guy like this whatever your business is?
My thoughts as well. Even if you liked the guy and felt sorry for him enough to let him write for you, you'd have to scour the internet every time he submitted an article to make sure there's not even a whiff of borrowed material.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
That Fire Emblem Warriors read-along thing is super trippy. He even inserted small laughs where he imagined the original author being happy about their impressions.

I think the best post on this topic was by Brian Altano in the other thread about how no one could've anticipated someone actually faking enthusiasm in the enthusiast press. It's baffling.
IGN is handling this well and it sucks that they are getting mobbed for something that came so out of left field. That Filip's body of work (can you call it that?) is now the target of internet detectives I think is actually fun, because he invited this by playing his cards incorrectly.

Edit: Also I keep reading about trying to frame this as him being the victim. The people whose work got stolen and his previous colleagues that are being discredited for things outside their control are the victims.

Last edited:

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
If he wants to say he "researched" others on his review, he should at least plagiarise from various source on the same preview/review. Plagiarising this 1-1 makes it so obvious that barely any research was done.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
He just keeps fucking up!!! He won't stop!!!! This is the biggest, gaming related, facepalm worthy fail this year.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: For posterity here's an archived version of Filip's infamous response to the allegations: https://archive.org/details/youtube-w_PPI9e0Nnw
OMG HE WILL NEVER WORK AGAIN!!! HE SO CRAZY

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow this thread became normal lol.

No offense to Youtubers, but they don't have to go through the rigorous process of journalistic work. So I think IGN and other websites should understand that sometimes those guys don't have the ethical standards required for the job.

Again, this is absolutely no knock on Youtubers. I love them because they are in a way "free" : no corporation agenda, no editorial line, no sift gloves. But thevdownside is, you can get guys as Filip...

So I think IGN should keep trying to get Youtubers, because it's refreshing. And it's also great to see guys that made it so far, from nowhere. However, they must make sure those guys follow the basic journalistic requirements such job commands.

Yup, hopefully if they look at future prospects from YouTube or other places that influencers tend to frequent they do some more research beforehand.

Is this actually a dig at the integrity of IGN compared to YouTubers?

Nah, I was using the quotations to make the point he's barely a reviewer since he lifted other peoples' thoughts and content.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lol it's a copypasta