• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
e3QVOHa.jpg

Best of 2017 Awards

"2017 has already cemented itself as one of the greatest years in video game history. It brought us outstanding new entries in long-running franchises like The Legend of Zelda and Persona, not to mention confident follow-ups like Wolfenstein II and Nier: Automata alongside riskier originals like Horizon Zero Dawn and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.

In theaters, films like Logan and Wonder Woman continued to push comic book movies to new heights, while phenomenal films like Get Out and Lady Bird provided a different kind of must-see experience.

Not to be outdone, the era of peak TV showed no signs of slowing down, with half-hour sitcoms like The Good Place, dramas like The Handmaid's Tale, and anime like My Hero Academia all demanding place on essential viewing lists.

Finally, comic books remained as vibrant and indispensable as ever with incredible runs in long-running mainstays like Batman and compelling debuts like Shade, the Changing Girl.

Below are all of IGN's nominees for 2017's Best Of...Everything. Be sure make your voice heard by voting in the People's Choice poll in each category, and check back on December 20 to see our complete list of winners!
"

BEST GAMES, BY PLATFORM
THE BEST OF THE BEST
BEST GAMES, BY GENRE
RPG, ACTION, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN
BEST GAMES, BY CRAFT
ART, MUSIC, STORY, AND MUCH MORE
BEST MOVIES
THE BEST FILMS, FROM BLOCKBUSTERS TO INDIES
BEST TV SHOWS
THE GOLDEN AGE OF TV CONTINUES
BEST COMICS
THE BEST RUNS AND NEW DEBUTS
BEST TECH
ESSENTIAL GEAR

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I didn't realize how synergistic Aloy's and Link's art can be.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's... A lot of lists. Nice to see Gravity Rush 2 in a couple of categories, though it won't win any competing with Breath of the Wild.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Wipeout in racing games category? WTF?

The strategy poll also lacks some serious entries like XCOM 2 War of the Chosen or Endless Space 2.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this how they make all those Game of the Year happen.

Actually really good lists all around, even Golf Story and Xenoblade 2 got nods.

flare

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man these lists speak to the quantity of quality games released this year and they keep blowing my mind.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I can't decide on the tv show of the year.

Twin Peaks or The Leftovers? The Leftovers deserves something for being such an amazing show and this was its final season, but Twin Peaks was just.....well it was Twin bloody Peaks!

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doki Doki Literature is nominated for best story? Certainly unexpected from IGN. I will it a try.

supershort

Permanently banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I want to vote for Cuphead for art but BotW looks like a Ghibli movie so I have to choose that. Will be interesting to see the winners.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was she not good? I remember her getting tons of praise. Never saw the movie though

I didn't think so, but evidently a lot of people did. From what I've read and seen, impressions of her performance and of the movie have been very mixed. I personally thought her performance was very wooden and unconvincing, and the movie decidedly average.

I mean, when you compare her performance to other actresses this year such as Kate Winslet in Wonder Wheel, Saoirse Rona in Lady Bird, Judi Dench in Victoria & Abdul, Meryl Streep in The Post, Sally Hawkins in The Shape of Water and Frances McDormand in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, it's a stretch. IGN have seemingly combined actors and actresses in to one category, so it gets stretched further still.

Granted in terms of people's choice, most probably wouldn't have seen these other movies, so maybe Gal Gadot will actually win.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Yakuza 0 is missing from best story and best Playstation game, and Cuphead is categorized as a platformer not an action game.

Ah well, at least I found two categories I can vote for Pyre in.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

When it comes to climbing for example, didn't Dying Light already do that?

On a side note, the site overlooks several smaller gems of this year, particularly in the horror movie category. Fantastic films like I Remember You (AKA Ég man þig) and My Friend Dahmer are left without a mention.

EDIT:
It sure innovates more then a walking simulator, that's for sure.

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...dith-finch-could-be-something-special-w477847
A canned history of the Walking Simulator: The name was was originally pejorative, a tag given to narrative-driven experiences judged not to be "real games" by the people who judge these things and then make tags about them. Brave gamers unafraid of exploring Hebridean islands without the ability to wall-run have since reclaimed the name to an extent, and a new genre of exploratory, meditative games from Dear Esther to Firewatch has gathered under its banner.

The walking simulator feels like it might be a reaction to velocity, as though somebody realized that speeding through painstakingly crafted landscapes at the speed of violence was a massive waste, and decided to make a game about the ground. Certainly, as small-scale game development has surged, walking simulators have offered a more resource efficient way of making games, with fewer moving parts, moving people, or intricate systems of physics and action.

As such walking simulators (the best ones anyway) are brilliant catalogs of loss, involving the investigation of absence, of missing things and missing people – as often signalled in the titles themselves: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter. They represent storytelling through exploration and reconstruction, and What Remains Of Edith Finch by Giant Sparrow might be the best one yet.

Which is to say that What Remains Of Edith Finch looks set to be the crowning achievement of walking simulators in the terms we have come to know them. It is about a house, full of books. More than that, it is about a house that is like a book – about a reading story from a place like words from a page – as though it had seen how its predecessors wrote meaning into geography and decided to nudge the metaphor along a notch.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
"[Nier Automata] may not include the most sensical story or compelling characters, but its frenzied combat — coupled with beautiful visuals and a stunning soundtrack – make it too much fun to pass up."

The description is like the reverse of why people like Automata lol.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Here are my votes:

BEST GAMES, BY PLATFORM
THE BEST OF THE BEST

• Game of the Year: Super Mario Odyssey. It's not even fair with the other games and maybe only Breath of Wild could top it. And I haven't even played either.
  • Best PC Game: I've just finished Doki Doki Literature Club and it's brilliant, disturbing and groundbreaking. NieR Automata is also brilliant, but it's Cuphead, still grinding on it but yeah, gotta go with this one.
  • Best Xbox One Game: Forza Motorsport 7
  • Best PlayStation 4 Game: It's a toss between Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn. But Alloy wins this one as far as I'm concerned. Horizon: Zero Dawn takes the crown.
  • Best Switch Game: Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best 3DS Game: Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Best Mobile Game: Fire Emblem Heroes
BEST GAMES, BY GENRE

BEST GAMES, BY CRAFT

BEST MOVIES
THE BEST FILMS, FROM BLOCKBUSTERS TO INDIES

BEST TV SHOWS

BEST COMICS
THE BEST RUNS AND NEW DEBUTS

BEST TECH
ESSENTIAL GEAR

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"[Nier Automata] may not include the most sensical story or compelling characters, but its frenzied combat — coupled with beautiful visuals and a stunning soundtrack – make it too much fun to pass up."

Lmao right

Well, aside from the soundtrack part of course

Yakuza 0 is going to be overlooked everwhere isn't it? D:

Mhm

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I didn't think so, but evidently a lot of people did. From what I've read and seen, impressions of her performance and of the movie have been very mixed. I personally thought her performance was very wooden and unconvincing, and the movie decidedly average.

I mean, when you compare her performance to other actresses this year such as Kate Winslet in Wonder Wheel, Saoirse Rona in Lady Bird, Judi Dench in Victoria & Abdul, Meryl Streep in The Post, Sally Hawkins in The Shape of Water and Frances McDormand in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, it's a stretch. IGN have seemingly combined actors and actresses in to one category, so it gets stretched further still.

Granted in terms of people's choice, most probably wouldn't have seen these other movies, so maybe Gal Gadot will actually win.

Yep. When you don't compare her to the other actresses she's still average, but when you do compare her to the other actresses it's laughable.

I'm not surprised at all though, this is IGN we're talking about here. I almost always expect some stupidity.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't able to vote for a lot as I realise I haven't played many new games or seen many new films this year. I imagine Zelda will sweep the categories it's nominated in, but I hope Horizon gets a few nods too.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
XCOM2 War of the chosen not being nominated for best strategy game is a literal crime against humanity.

Just wanted to post this.

I somehow have the feeling whoever wrote the text didn't played past ending [A] lol

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Here's mine based on my experiences. I've left some categories out completely since I either haven't played enough or I just didn't find much complete stand outs.

BEST GAMES, BY PLATFORM
THE BEST OF THE BEST

BEST GAMES, BY GENRE

• Best Shooter: PUBG
  • Best Action-Adventure Game: Breath of the Wild
  • Best Fighting Game: ARMS - Fairly light on content but it's one of the first fighting games that got me fairly interested in the fighting genre again with it's unique 3D take on combat.
  • Best Platformer: Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best Strategy Game: Mario + Rabbids - One of the biggest surprises of the year for me this year.
  • Best RPG: Nier Automata
  • Best Racing Game: This category is kind of hilarious since I was looking forward to all racers this year but ended up playing none
  • Best Puzzle Game: Surprised Breath of the Wild isn't mentioned in this category since it is basically revolve around puzzles. Probably wouldn't be fair I guess.
BEST GAMES, BY CRAFT

BEST TV SHOWS

Overall, gaming and television has been incredible this year. Basically finished with gaming for the year playing through Xenoblade while Television, Still going through Vikings and waiting on the Crown.

I've found the movies this year has been disappointing.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Ignoring the Switch games that I haven't played yet, my list goes like this:

Game of the Year: Horizon: Zero Dawn
Best Action-Adventure: Horizon: Zero Dawn
Best Platform: Cuphead

DrJackson

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon's gonna be the big winner here, isn't it?
At least in numbers of awards. Zelda will prob take goty.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best Lead Performer in a Movie
David Kaluuya, Get Out

Someone didn't do their research.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Will put in my votes tonight.

But man...Zelda is going to win most of the ones it's been nominated for. And I won't complain...

But I hope Mario is a close second at least. That game is alongside Zelda as the best of the year easily. I'd put them both right next to each other if possible.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Prey for Shooter category and Cuphead for Platformer?
nRgVPSC.gif

And no art direction nomination for GR2 :(