• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This famous game show host recently ran his mouth saying the following about MeToo:

I said, "My gosh, this has got to be a scary time for men." I'm fortunate that I've never been in a position of power where I might be able to lord it over somebody sexually. I said, "But there are guys out there — young guys are stupid in their teens." There's nothing stupider than a teenage boy. They're operating on testosterone.

*buzz*

Who is Alex Trebek?

The conversation then turned back to some standard questions. Trebek said his dream celebrity contestant would be "Kevin Spacey ... but now you can't say that." He declared "there isn't enough humor" in politics today.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/807320/alex-trebek-says-metoo-been-scary-time-men

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's hard to fit that many stupid statements in to so little sentences, but by god he did it.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was gonna change the thread title cause I thought you were being stupid but lord in heaven he just rolls into ranting about it completely unprompted like three times

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
"My gosh, this has got to be a scary time for men." I'm fortunate that I've never been in a position of power where I might be able to lord it over somebody sexually.
i mean, for most people (even most men!) not committing sexual harassment is actually not that difficult if you really give it your best attempt

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You can get a peek into what Alex's personality is actually like during the interview segments. This isn't surprising. He treats the women kinda condescendingly sometimes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's crazy. You can't even sexually assault women and make it to the supreme court anymore.

Oh

Wait

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
"Scary time" for....men.

Come on, other men. It's not that hard to not be this dumb.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Is there a way to say "But there are guys out there — young guys are stupid in their teens." and not sound like you've at least attempted to rape somebody when you were a teen?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking news, old white man has old white man opinions

At this point it's breaking from the norm if they don't think like this, trebek just has the clout to be able to run his mouth without consequence

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
giphy.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Let's ask Ford what she thinks about how unfairly men have been treated. Somebody who can't even live in a fucking house anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
He's not ENTIRELY wrong. Teenage boys are definitely completely stupid and there are boys who do bad things. Definitely a very bad way to phrase that though... The second quote in the OP is just bad... No saving that one

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Suck it, Trebek.

This "scary time for men" shit has got to stop. How one can even get those words out of their mouth without realizing how fucked up they are will never cease to amaze me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, the "It's a scary time for men" rhetoric again, shocker. Protip: It's only a scary time for the men that are guilty of sexual assault or harassment, and they damn well should be.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
fear of the metoo movement is just after fear of being strangled to death by kangaroo jack for me

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
In my experience, it's not so hard to refrain from sexually harassing people. Can't say I find these times too scary either. At least not for that reason anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
Should add a link to the actual Vulture interview if we can.

Reading the interview, he goes back-and-forth between saying good things and dumb things. He's right about harassment of women not being about sex, but about power, even if he had to rip the quote from a movie.

Do you watch a lot of Fox News?
I used to. Now, for news I'll probably watch CNN or ABC. Politics now are like the days of the O.J. Simpson trial — it's all we do every day. I was talking to a friend of mine recently about the Khashoggi investigation. I said, "Trump is letting it slide a bit." And my friend's response was, "Well, who ever investigated Benghazi?" He went from Khashoggi to Benghazi. I was going to say to him that there were extensive investigations on Benghazi, but he kept taking it back to Hillary Clinton. I've joked about this kind of thing with my wife.Jean Currivan-Trebek. She and Alex married in 1990, and have two children, Matthew and Emily. Prior to that Mr. Trebek was married to Elaine Callei from 1974 to 1981. I said, "I don't think Sean Hannity can do a program without mentioning Hillary Clinton. I don't think it's possible."
Truth.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
The #MeToo stuff, while disappointing, is pretty common old white man rhetoric.

But how hard is it to not name Kevin Spacey as your dream guest?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
First statement was dumb, but then he takes the cake with the second. Kind of baffling really. But he's obviously smart because most of his other responses were agreeable in the Vulture interview.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Well that's that then, he's done. Jeopardy won't be the same without him.

It's going to take a lot to get Alex fired from Jeopardy. His name and the brand are essentially one and the same right now.

Like they just had him sign another contract extending his hosting role to at least 2021. It's genuinely going to take something monumental for him to lose that job.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Should add a link to the actual Vulture interview if we can.

Reading the interview, he goes back-and-forth between saying good things and dumb things. He's right about harassment of women not being about sex, but about power, even if he had to rip the quote from a movie.

Truth.

Why? There's nothing there that makes his MeToo comments not incredibly sexist

Even what you quoted has nothing to do with what I'm framing my topic on. I mean yay he's a sexist man who is aware of Benghazi and the actual investigation instead of a sexist man who isn't.