• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
With carjackings on the rise in Chicago and elsewhere, a South Side Democratic state representative has introduced a bill that would ban the sale of Grand Theft Auto and other violent video games.

Rep. Marcus Evans Jr. wants to amend a 2012 law preventing some video games from being sold to minors. Friday, he filed HB3531, which would amend that law to ban the sale to anyone of video games depicting "psychological harm," including "motor vehicle theft with a driver or passenger present."

Evans had been contacted in January by Early Walker, who started Operation Safe Pump to prevent carjackings at gas stations and shopping centers. Safe Pump positions security guards from the Kates Detective and Security Agency in areas with high numbers of carjackings.

"The bill would prohibit the sale of some of these games that promote the activities that we're suffering from in our communities." Evans said.

Walker said he reached out to several state legislators to ban the video game after noticing similarities in local incidents of carjackings and actions players can make in the video game.

"I feel like this game has become a huge issue in this spectrum," Walker said. "When you compare the two, you see harsh similarities as it relates to these carjackings."

chicago.suntimes.com

Ban sale of Grand Theft Auto, other violent video games, state rep says

With carjackings rising, Rep. Marcus Evans wants to prohibit the sale of violent video games promoting criminal activity. Also Monday, Operation Safe Pump announced its gas station guards program will expand to south suburban Olympia Fields.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be unconstitional with the Supreme Court ruling video games to be an art form?

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Better be on the safe side and ban all games that depict actions that can take place in reality.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might as well just ban the internet. Kids have access to fucked up imagery and second for the day all in the palm of their hands; no point in singling out just video games.

Also that comment of "depicting things we are suffering from in our community" is pretty vague. Does that mean Animal Crossing will be banned because I'm suffering from student loan debt?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Mankind knew they could not change society, and so they blamed the video games.

Does anyone honestly expect this to pass? lol

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's the games that are at fault. Not poor politics driving people in to poverty forcing these crimes. It's Grand Theft Auto.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Hold on. This guy is a Democrat?!

EDIT: Yes, yes, I've already been informed in this thread that democrats have a history of doing this shit. I'm just surprised that this is the kind of politics coming out of (at least some members of) the mainstream left wing in the US in this day and age.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yup, every evening when I turn on the local news and see the shit that happens in this city, I think, "damn, if only Grand Theft Auto V hadn't corrupted the fragile mind of the gunman."

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
giphy.gif

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Wait so he is saying that car jacking in a game that tries to (at times/mechanics wise) emulate realistic car jacking.......is shockingly similar to real life?
Christ he better not look at any Racing game, or sports games! and has he heard about the film and TV industry and their shocking similarities to real life?

Just why? every generation blames the easy target rather than look at the systemic problems in their societal structure, Rock music, Violent movies, books, hell I'm sure someone blamed paintings and tapestry at some point too.

Why do i have this negative impression that this guy is one of those who says games are childish and for kids and people should grow up and do grown up things like visit a bar, a church, a sports venue and obsess over that instead? I'm sick of the "I don't like thing, so nobody should have thing" mentality

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Don't ban the sale of automatic firearms and military style tactical gear which allows armed militias to storm one of the seats of government. BAN VIDEO GAMES INSTEAD!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
So was Tipper Gore, a D next to someone's name does nothing to stop them from being a reactionary conservative dipshit
Being a Democrat doesn't make you immune to being an idiot.
Democrats were largely behind the violent video game outrage of the 90s
I'm not exactly well acquainted with US politics beyond a very surface level understanding but if this is what they have to deal with on their "left" wing, holy shit.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly well acquainted with US politics beyond a very surface level understanding but if this is what they have to deal with on their "left" wing, holy shit.

Being a Democrat has almost no bearing on how progressive their politics are. They're more likely to be Center Right than anything else by the rest of the worlds standards.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish people that did bullshit like this were reprimanded for wasting time and money... Talk about a waste of time.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The bill would prohibit the sale of some of these games that promote the activities that we're suffering from in our communities." Evans said.

So how far will they get into the phrase "so the same for gun control then?" before this goes away? The g?

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Besides addressing carjacking, the bill also changes the definition of a "violent video game" to one in which players "control a character within the video game that is encouraged to perpetuate human-on-human violence in which the player kills or otherwise causes serious physical or psychological harm to another human or an animal."

This is insanity. Do they not realize this is the majority of adult entertainment, video game or not? Why not go after movies, books and anything else that depicts violence in this way? I mean, I would think this has no chances of gathering steam, but it is crazy to think there are people in power that feel this is the solution to carjacking and the like.

I think this boils down to video games having the stigma attached that they are only for kids and thus are wrongly targeted by lawmakers that don't actually do the research or think logically.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
How do those people not look into other countries and communities with less serious crime and think "I wonder if those social programs and educational iniatives actually work..."?
It feels like they genuinely would choose to live in otherwise totalitarian society as long as state doesn't use their tax money to aid poor people.