• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It really gets most noted for being a Republican perspective as Jack Thompson was a staunch Republican. He claimed that the reason Democrats couldn't get anything done was because they were Democrats.

Both sides have different reasons for banning them. Democrats felt that it was glorifying violence and crime and ruining young minds. Repubicans feel that it is training kids to commit crimes and school shootings.
Those "different reasons" really sound like one and the same, honestly.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
Unwilling to address the socioeconomic conditions that actually lead to crime they choose to ban fun instead.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on. This guy is a Democrat?!

EDIT: Yes, yes, I've already been informed in this thread that democrats have a history of doing this shit. I'm just surprised that this is the kind of politics coming out of (at least some members of) the mainstream left wing in the US in this day and age.
Hey cmon, remember that democrats started the anti-vacc movement. Give them some credit here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing back a classic!

Ignoring real problems and making up solutions to problems that don't actually exist. That's also a classic!

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
So everything has to be mom approved
Takes me back to my childhood.

R901b9dc0c097a63e264ec703b3b24ca0

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Those "different reasons" really sound like one and the same, honestly.

And you would be right, I'm just trying to focus on one of the fundamental differences, that Democrats focus on problems before they occur, Republicans focus on them only after the fact. Trump didn't mention word one about violent games until AFTER school shootings started taking place.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like in this day and age there are enough adults playing games that this would be political suicide.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Of all things to focus time and money on in the absolute dumpster fire that is Illinois.

Hilarious.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Jack is that you?!
But seriously. These politicians and people that absolutely refuse to look into the communities at large where these issues exist and do nothing but blame stuff like games disgust me.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Unwilling to address the socioeconomic conditions that actually lead to crime they choose to ban fun instead.
Black reps, from poor Black neighborhoods like this, aren't the ones unwilling to address the socioeconomic causes of crime. If y'all are gonna talk shit about politicians, make sure you're talking about the right ones- namely Illinois' white suburban and rural representatives. Not this dude.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
Black reps, from poor Black neighborhoods like this, aren't the ones unwilling to address the socioeconomic causes of crime. If y'all are gonna talk shit about politicians, make sure you're talking about the right ones- namely Illinois' white suburban and rural representatives. Not this dude.
Sorry didn't read the article to be honest and made some assumptions.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember writing about this when I was a staff writer at RPGamer like... Jesus, was that 15 years ago? Sheesh

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
As opposed to art that provokes no emotional reaction whatsoever? Sounds rather boring.

As opposed to art that bring up other types of emotions like farming sims or ones that play it safe life blasting robots or giant bugs.

On the music side you have music ranging from killing snitches and their families and friends to love songs asking someone to marry you. It's annoying politicians only take aim at games.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They leave off violent books, music, television, art, and movies?

Those are only passive media you see. /s

I hate to engage in whataboutisms but the things that get discussed in print, on film and in music are a lot more disturbing to me than parodies the game industry come up with.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
As opposed to art that bring up other types of emotions like farming sims or ones that play it safe life blasting robots or giant bugs.

On the music side you have music ranging from killing snitches and their families and friends to love songs asking someone to marry you. It's annoying politicians only take aim at games.

I don't think politicians should take aim at any form of art just because it contains violent content. Art is provocative, it's a expression of the human experience, and many times that experience is ugly, tragic, brutal, and unjust. That isn't something we should just shy away from because we wish we lived in a better world where these things didn't happen.

And politicians do take aim at other media - look at the hysteria there's over certain genres of music and film over the years. It's a meaningless gesture to appease constituents in an attempt to make them seam like they're doing something, as oppose to trying to solve the core issues that create these problems - something which would require deeper structural change no politician wishes to touch.

Last edited:

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think politicians should take aim at any form of art just because it contains violent content. Art is provocative, it's a expression of the human experience, and many times that experience is ugly, tragic, brutal, and unjust. That isn't something we should just shy away from because we wish we lived in a better world where these things didn't happen.

I agree and you can easily say this is illegal but the appeal is still there. Maybe even more so for those on the fringes. You can go the China route and ban anything seen as harmful or do nothing which could inspire the next generation of whatever is being promoted. I think the solution is somewhere in the middle. Do enough research to draw a correlation between consumption violent media and behavior. If there is one tax the producers like cigarettes. If there isn't then leave it be.

I only say that because even though games are art they are also products first and foremost. I don't put them on the same level as a shocking image from a war photographer or non-fiction book about a tragic event. Modern music and film are the same way to lesser extent. Hopefully you can take the extra revenues and put in place helpful resources for those going through what some pieces of art seek to glorify.

Haha, got on a bit of a soapbox. My apologies.

P.S. context is also important. Obvious works of fiction or historical dramatizations are different than a contemporary artist talking, singing, writing about illegal/violent acts they may or may not do.