• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Renowned illustrator Sadamoto Yoshiyuki, who has previously worked on many titles such as Evangelion, FLCl, .Hack, has made some very questionable tweets regarding Korea and the comfort women issue.

Here's the translation of the initial tweet

That dirty girl statue (statue of peace). That movie that burns and stomps a photo of the Emperor. It's the way of that country's (Korea's) propaganda.
All the elements that modern art needs: Fun! Beauty! Surprise! Comfort! Intellectual impact
are all gone, and is vulgar.

When he posted this tweet, it got a lot of backlash from others, and to one of the complaints he had replied with this tweet.

I don't know what you are expecting of me but…
If the statue was of an extremely beautiful comfort woman and a lai dai han (half Korean, half Vietnamese) gathered around a boiling pot and eating a bunch of soliders' penises. While indecent, it might feel a bit conceptually stimulating.
I thought about this seriously.

He later backpedaled the situation by saying he likes Kpop Idols and that he just personally thinks that he just dislikes the design of the statue, but the words had been said already. Really disappointing coming from one of my favorite illustrators in the business.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you are expecting of me but…
If the statue was of an extremely beautiful comfort woman and a lai dai han (half Korean, half Vietnamese) gathered around a boiling pot and eating a bunch of soliders' penises. While indecent, it might feel a bit conceptually stimulating.
I thought about this seriously.

That doesn't help in any way or form. That makes it far worse and shows how much of a shitstain he really is deep inside.

As if him liking Kpop Idols changes anything about how deplorable this is.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Why is it so hard for people (not just in Japan but in this particular example, a significantly larger amount of people in Japan than there should be) to accept that people in your country did awful stuff way before you were born?

I'll happily talk for hours about how awful the British Empire was. Hell, I'll talk about how awful my country is now. I didn't do any of it, no skin off my back.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
what a weird thing to say. He has issue with the statue as is, and so he goes and spews a lot of weird things about a real act of horror committed by the Japanese...

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you explain this situation in more detail? I don't get what he means in either of those tweets. What are comfort women?

I mean, I recognize it's some gross shit he's spewing, but the words literally don't make sense to me.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
so it's a term the japanese use for Korean women they raped? Or am I misunderstanding you?

whats the shit about it being interesting to see a bunch of korean women eating boiled penises??

You are correct.

And idk, probably some dumb shit to rationalize what they did to them. Japan likes to forget how awful it was in ww2.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Women forced to work in brothels by the invading Japanese force, it's an issue that's either not acknowledged or outright denied by parts of Japanese society.

That makes sense, but I still don't understand his post about boiled soldier penis. Is he just being randomly grotesque? Do japanese people seriously claim Korean women are soldier penises? Why does he call it interesting?

Like, he isn't coming off to me as anything other than a pure lunatic in those posts to me.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
so it's a term the japanese use for Korean women they raped? Or am I misunderstanding you?

whats the shit about it being interesting to see a bunch of korean women eating boiled penises??
sorry for not providing full details, that was my bad.

as you can see from the wikipedia article, comfort women were women who were forcefully employed to provide "sexual services" to Japanese imperial military.

The statue of peace was made to honor these victims, and he is essentially saying that it would have been better if the statue was these victimes eating penises instead of what it is now.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

as you can see from the wikipedia article, comfort women were women who were forcefully employed to provide "sexual services" to Japanese imperial military.

The statue of peace was made to honor these victims, and he is essentially saying that it would have been better if the statue was these victimes eating penises instead of what it is now.

What triggered me was that he also thought it should be an 'extremely beautiful' woman.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

what a fucking asshole. One last question, what movie is he talking about re: stomping on the emperor. And also, japanese people still reminisce about their WWII emperor??

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense, but I still don't understand his post about boiled soldier penis. Is he just being randomly grotesque? Do japanese people seriously claim Korean women are soldier penises? Why does he call it interesting?

Like, he isn't coming off to me as anything other than a pure lunatic in those posts to me.

Prominent anime artist says statue dedicated to victimized women isn't to his horny artistic tastes. he also likes kpop idols.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
what a fucking asshole. One last question, what movie is he talking about re: stomping on the emperor. And also, japanese people still reminisce about their WWII emperor??
I don't know what movie he's talking specifically, but he's prob talking about korean movies about Japanese imperialism as a whole, because the movies tend to be very anti-Japan for obvious reasons.

And yes, there are still right wing imperialists in Japan.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
"Comfort women" is a bullshit term coined by imperial Japan to sugarcoat the fact that they were engaging in sex slavery.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after reading the wikipedia article on the statue, this is even more disgusting. Holy fuck Japan.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Emperor Hirohito (Showa) ruled from 1926 to 89. Most people alive today only personally remember him from his post-war "rule" where he was just a (popular) figurehead participating in many public events during the rise and golden years of Japan's economy. So, he is a popular figure which is why you get people caring about him like that. He isn't just forgotten history at this point due to his reign technically continuing for decades after the war.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
This makes it even easier for me to hate Evangelion 3.0.

But WTF man. Why is it so hard for so much of Japan to acknowledge that they fucked up hard?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Damn japan your about as bad as us when it comes to recognizing the horrific shit we have done. Your fucking soldiers raped ungodly amounts of women years ago. Nothing changes that, no matter how much you get all bent out of shape, it happened.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Can you explain this situation in more detail? I don't get what he means in either of those tweets. What are comfort women?

I mean, I recognize it's some gross shit he's spewing, but the words literally don't make sense to me.
"Comfort women" were women from conquered areas (read Korea, China) that Imperialist Japan forced into sexual slavery. It's fucking disgusting, but there's an unfortunately mainstream Nationalist current in Japan that denies or downplays their war crimes.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I'm not surprised by this.
After WW2 end.
Jap Gov want bury their action under the rug not to mention or remember again.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love FLCL/Eva this doesn't surprise me in the least. Much of Japan probably agrees with him.

And his "attempts" to "clean it up" are shockingly pathetic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Comfort women" were women from conquered areas (read Korea, China) that Imperialist Japan forced into sexual slavery. It's fucking disgusting, but there's an unfortunately mainstream Nationalist current in Japan that denies or downplays their war crimes.

Yeah reading up on the statue itself is fucking insane. It's built to literally try and shame the japanese into finally admitting their sins, but they, without shame, demand it's removal and call it a "dirty woman." Fucking gross as hell.

I actually think the statue itself is badass now. Sitting right outside the japanese Embassy. It's like an eternal silent protest, she's staring the embassy down.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
But WTF man. Why is it so hard for so much of Japan to acknowledge that they fucked up hard?
Because contrary to what they are selling to other tourists and foreigners about the whole honor thing about their people, they are anything but. And I'm so tired of people keep throwing excuse that "japanese people dont know this part of their history because they weren't taught". Bullshit. They are aware of this because of how much stink it causes internationally. They just don't bother to care or won't care about it.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I've loved his artwork for ages.

What a disgustingly ignorant denial of truth.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Disgusting. Isn't Koichi Sugiyama, the composer for the Dragon Quest games, one of these assholes as well, except possibly even worse?

Jun 17, 2019
Historically this sort of rhetoric has been going on since 1965. Japan appolgised and gave a lump sum to be given out to the victims. They claim Korea basically stole the money from the victims. Smh

A lot of this anti Korea is coming up because Japans company's dont want to pay for the forced labor that the Korean court ruled for. So now basically Abe's government, who is deep into revisionist history, is waging a trade war with Korea, and Korea in turn is boycotting Japan and protests in Korea.

There are people in Japan that want the government to acknowledge the truth. Historians in this camp have been trying for years.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Guy ran a paid advertisement in the Washington Post trying to paint the subject of comfort woman and the Rape of Nankin as anti-Japanese propaganda by the Chinese.

Ah, yeah, that's the fucker right there. Seem to remember him being very anti-LGBTQ as well. Would love to buy Dragon Quest XI for my Switch, but with assholes like this behind the game I don't exactly feel like I'm in a hurry to do so.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit hard to make out with the translation provided, but it mostly just reads like he thinks the statue is boring and plain rather than denying what happened or excusing it, at least on the surface (though you could certainly read into his "propaganda" comment as such). Is there any other history of this sort of thing with Sadamoto?

(To be clear, this was an incredibly insensitive and shitty thing to say regardless.)

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit hard to make out with the translation provided, but it mostly just reads like he thinks the statue is boring and plain rather than denying what happened or excusing it, at least on the surface (though you could certainly read into his "propaganda" comment as such). Is there any other history of this sort of thing with Sadamoto?

(To be clear, this was an incredibly insensitive and shitty thing to say regardless.)
How I interpreted it too, he makes the comment about modern art lacking intellect in the first tweet. With that said, he sure picked the wrong topic to make a comment.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I interpreted the main thrust of his complaint being that the art itself is boring.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This statue honoring the memories of women forced into sexual slavery by Japan is boring. I'd rather she'd be sucking a bag of dicks. And be hot."

How I interpreted it too, he makes the comment about modern art lacking intellect in the first tweet. With that said, he sure picked the wrong topic to make a comment.
I interpreted the main thrust of his complaint being that the art itself is boring.

Some of y'all are really going out of your way to defend this shitstain. When someone shits on a statue like this, they know exactly what the fuck they're doing.