• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hmmmm so is it also illegal to buy Oculus exclusive games from the Oculus store and play on a Vive through added software?
You're misunderstanding me. In the Wii U, digital games are tied to the console, you can't sell the console without the games. So it'd be like backing up the discs and also selling those to other people.

In PSN, for example, the games are tied to your account.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you bought the games new and own the disc do what you want with it. AFAIK there's no legal or moral issue here.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think you are.
but it's a debate as old as emulators

this being said, you already have those games, so the potential loss for nintendo is only on your used wii u, but i don't think that many people are on the market for a new one.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Ethically, sure. You bought the games and the hardware, probably played the hell out of it for years. You would run a business the console would be long written-off your books already (amortization) and had zero value. Can't speak for the legal system, though. I wouldn't care, though.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't think it really works like that. You bought a license to play it on their hardware.

Technically that is true, but otherwise who gives a shit how one plays a Wii U game after the console is sold. Nobody is going to know or care if one day down the road you start playing those Wii U games again at you have, in an emulator on PC, or on another WiiU console.

If emulation goes against everything in your being, then don't use emulation. If emulating games that you already have the discs for doesn't bother you, then do so if you want to.

Time is always short, life is short. There are more important things to do (even within the context of gaming) than to debate the technical legality of emulators (emulators themselves are legal, pirating games is not).

Last edited:

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not for obvious privacy reasons. That would be too much of a risk for me.

I know you can swap the tiles. Still when I wanted to play Zelda Wind Waker HD it said: Connect the Gamepad. It simply refuses to start the game without the gamepad. Try it yourself.

Oh that's cause Wind Waker HD requires the game pad. I've started games like Smash and Hyrule Warriors without that issue.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Technically that is true, but otherwise who gives a shit how one plays a Wii U game after the console is sold. Nobody is going to know or care if one day down the road you start playing those Wii U games again at you have, in an emulator on PC, or on another WiiU console.

If emulation goes against everything in your being, then don't use emulation. If emulating games that you already have the discs for doesn't bother you, then do so if you want to.

Time is always short, life is short. There are more important things to do (even within the context of gaming) than to debate the technical legality of emulators (emulators themselves are legal, pirating games is not).
That's up to the copyright holders to decide. Will you get penalized for doing it? Probably not. Saying that manufacturers and publishers don't give a shit is a bit of a stretch though.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It depends on where you live. I know that personal backups are legal in most of Europe.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is no discussion possible in this topic besides semantic arguments and hypothetical legal arguments. Neither are worth anyone's time.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When considered from the point of view of protecting the corporation from harm, you selling your hardware to a new user who may need to buy software for it is a net positive for Nintendo, as that user may buy games from their digital store (if still up) or from retailers who will order more.

If it was purchased for emulation purposes, then there's no net loss to Nintendo, because hobbyists are gonna hobby.

In theory the possible upside to nintendo keeping their noses out of it is higher than the potential downside of trying to get a legal precedent established, because they could lose that at any level and would certainly have to budget for legal fees on the subject.

Just some random thoughts.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
If you live in Japan you will probably go to jail for that! And than to Hell! And than maybe you even go to jail while you are in Hell!!!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually it isn't, you can get one from GameStop for $80-90. I was looking into getting one again to play through Wind Waker, TWP, 3D World and a few other games. I keep hoping these would come to the Switch but nothing yet.

Seems to be different in America then. Was able to sell my Wii U in Germany for 240€ without games lol

OP
OP
SweetVermouth

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
What I don't understand is people saying: "I ripped them and sold all my games but I still play them anyway". Like at that point what is the difference between that and simply downloading a rom?
At this point most of the worthwhile library is/will be ported to Switch anyway,
I doubt that games like Bomberman 64 are coming to Switch. Just think about how long it took Nintendo to bring SNES games to Switch also I'm not spending money on them again lol.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly aslong as you ripped the games yourself, don't sell your digital account and keep your physical games I say morally there's nothing bad about selling your Wii U hardware.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Format shifting and backing up legally owned content is protected by multiple court cases in the U.S. although recent laws do prevent "circumventing DRM" it has yet to have have any compelling court cases that I'm aware of attempt to see how far that goes and in what specific scenarios it applies.

There are more than these but using your personally made backup is protected under fair use and unless a new court case adds a new wrinkle to the interpretation of the law this remains true in the U.S.
This. There's nothing wrong with playing your games on a different device than the one they were made for, and you don't have to own the intended device to be allowed to do that. OP, you're fine.

Although, if you ever buy any more games, you will have trouble ripping those without an actual Wii U disc drive.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
If you bought the games digitally (I know, buying a license isn't buying the game, but whatevs), but ripped them yourself, i don't think you should worry too much about emulating them on your own stuff. It might be against TOS, but eh, you're not sharing or downloading from a share site, so I think you can rest easy.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
don't beat yourself over this, use CEMU.

nintendo doesn't support the wii U and likely doesn't give an ounce of a shit what you do with the console. (its almost 7 years old and its been dead for 3+)

I wouldn't feel bad playing devil's third when im not going to spend $30 on a license for a dead console and the disc costs $100+

crucify me for it, I spend way too much money on this industry to feel bad about playing 'abandonware' (or similar) and backups of games I own. I could care less if companies want me to emulate their games, sony refuses to put ps1/ps2/ps3 games on ps4 and until they have a good bc solution I'll just keep playing older games (that I own) on pc.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
lol all good. Been eyeing the Gamestop offer for $89.99 but figured your console would be in better shape than I can get playing the Gamestop roulette.

I actually got a great condition console from GS before this deal for $125 (black wii u complete + splatoon smash and mario kart 8). smalllll knick in the gamepad screen but not a deal breaker by any means.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand is people saying: "I ripped them and sold all my games but I still play them anyway". Like at that point what is the difference between that and simply downloading a rom?

I doubt that games like Bomberman 64 are coming to Switch. Just think about how long it took Nintendo to bring SNES games to Switch also I'm not spending money on them again lol.

I moreso meant specifically Wii U titles. I am so used to people emulating older titles that it didn't even cross my mind.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games arw actually tied to the console, whoever buys the Wii u and goes to the eshop Will be able to redownload the games you bought for free even if it's a new NNID that is made

OP
OP
SweetVermouth

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The games arw actually tied to the console, whoever buys the Wii u and goes to the eshop Will be able to redownload the games you bought for free even if it's a new NNID that is made
People keep saying this and I respond that they are wrong... Then who is in the right? How would they be able to re-download my games when my NNID is not on it and all other traces of my games were deleted when I did a factory reset?

Then the eshop must look for the sku instead of the NNID for purchases? If that is the case I will just sell it with all the games since the next owner can just re-download them.
But then it's super confusing because it also says I could link my NNID to another console and have all games transfered over so they must be on my NNID too.

I blame Nintendo for this stupidity. All I actually want is sell the console. It's like selling a SNES but keeping the games so I'm legally allowed to play my personal rom dumps I made.

Last edited:

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying this and I respond that they are wrong... Then who is in the right? How would they be able to re-download my games when my NNID is not on it and all other traces of my games were deleted when I did a factory reset?

Then the eshop must look for the sku instead of the NNID for purchases? If that is the case I will just sell it with all the games since the next owner can just re-download them.
But then it's super confusing because it also says I could link my NNID to another console and have all games transfered over so they must be on my NNID too.

I blame Nintendo for this stupidity. All I actually want is sell the console. It's like selling a SNES but keeping the games so I'm legally allowed to play my personal rom dumps I made.
I factory resetted my Wii u and was surprised when I got to the eshop everything was redownloadable

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

While the games are tied to the NNID, it still linked to the console you bought them. You need to call Nintendo to unlink it fully.

Otherwise if you sell it with the games and then call Nintendo to remove the link of that account, the buyer will lose access to said games.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Who cares. Play the games.
Yup. Ethnically Nintendo of all companies doesn't have a leg to stand on with piracy after charging you 60 times to play SMB3 on different systems. Ps/Xbox are held to different standards in terms of backwards compatibility and it's pretty hypocritical of Nintendo to take any high ground.

Just make sure Metallica doesn't see you rip a rom!

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I remember PS2 emulators needing a legit BIOS from a real console to work, does Cemu work that way as well?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure I'd want to risk this with Nintendo ninja being everywhere.

nobody will give a flying fuck

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo collected your money and the licenses are tied to your account.
Play them however you wish. You don't need anyone's approval.