• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I got my Switch Dock fixed and was hankering for a game...didn't want to spend a ton of money and I noticed Collection of Mana was discounted so I decided to go with that.

Thing is, I've never learned much about the series so I'm both excited and a bit scared because I've read the games, especially Mystic Quest, can be a bit confusing and obtuse.

So, Mana veterans, can y'all give me some general tips, impressions, and the like to prepare me for my journey into these classics. Any major pitfalls to avoid?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Start with Secret of Mana
It's fairly accessible and is a classic.

FF Adventure is an acquired taste and its age shows.

Trials of Mana is much more complicated, and is probably what you'd get into after completing Secret of Mana.

They are mostly standalone stories in a shared world, so there is no requirement to start in chronological or release order.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well for starters FF Adventure (or Mystic Quest w/e, the first game) has some jank ass combat because swords are awful.

Palm trees and 8 as well. (go around a pair of trees in a figure 8)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The only real tip for FFA (or Mystic Quest in EU) is to make sure you have a couple Keys and Mattocks on you at all times (they are cheap and available at any shop)

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Mystic Quest short? I want to give it a shot before jumping into the classics.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
They really should have put the improved in every way Adventures of Mana remake on it instead of Final Fantasy Adventure. Yeah, start with SoM first. Unless you're sure the Game Boy game won't kill your interest.

Final Fantasy Adventure (Mystic Quest) is about 10 hours.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is Mystic Quest short? I want to give it a shot before jumping into the classics.

Ummm I think it's rather short but for your first time you will probably find yourself confused on where to go (the original game came with a map afaik) so feel free to reference an online map.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Umm FF Adventure is not the same game as FF Mystic Quest at all guys.

Edit: Nevermind, just read the wiki. Wow they couldn't make these titles more confusing if they wanted to.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is kind of making me not want to pick up the collection. Unless they royally screw it up, I wonder if I'm not better off just waiting for the Trials remake, which would kind of make this just a one game collection.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what exactly is "kind of making you not want to pick up the collection" the guy just asked some questions, lmao

I have faith you will make the best choices for you in life. Trust

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of making me not want to pick up the collection. Unless they royally screw it up, I wonder if I'm not better off just waiting for the Trials remake, which would kind of make this just a one game collection.

The remake appears to take modern MMO inspiraitons with bosses that telegraph their actions. It's probably going to be a better version of Trials of Mana if they balance things right, but as a piece of classic game, Trials of Mana in the collection is more or less the Secret of Mana 2 game that was cancelled in 1995 and a remake is not going to change anything. I already picked up the collection and will pick up Trials of Mana next year as well.
Not sure what exactly is "kind of making you not want to pick up the collection" the guy just asked some questions, lmao

It's a weird take to be sure LOL. I had to explain the Trials remake just takes the story and is a remake and not a remaster of the SNES original. The battle system looks completely new.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys scared me off Mystic Quest but it gives me Links Awakening vibes from the screenshots.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I meant the discussion that the first game wasn't really worth playing. I did play it and Secret back when they first came out, and was contemplating getting this collection while it was on sale to play with my daughter. So I already had qualms about Trials and if the first game hasn't aged well, the collection boils down to Secret, is all I was saying.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The first game is short enough that you should be able to tell within an hour or so if it's for you. SoM takes a couple of hours more, because once you have access to spells it changes the way you play.

ToM is an awkward beast, as it will play differently depending on which characters you choose - and, later, the classes you select for them. It's the sort of game where you can inadvertently lock yourself into hard mode without realising it until ten or twenty hours in, and I'd recommend looking up a character/class guide if that doesn't appeal to you.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If you've never played any of these games at least give Secret a whirl. The music is fantastic.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the branching paths and class system of Trials makes me wonder if I should do some research before jumping in.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Secret of Mana is missing a lot of cut content in the back half of the game. So, if you think its weird that dungeons and towns get really small all of a sudden, or start repeating bosses from other dungeons, that's why.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It took me awhile to get used to the controls, I've never played them and I still don't know how to switch characters with a SNES controller.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Secret is probably the best starting point for someone new to the series. Also, if you have anyone around for multiplayer, give that a go, it's an awesome experience to play these games with a friend

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Adventure is the best Mana-series game ever and always has been. It's a fantastic classic with heavily Zelda-inspired combat, but in an action-RPG with a levelling system and such. I love the simple combat, it's by far my favorite in the franchise. The story is relentlessly depressing, also. The graphics are average stuff, but I love the soundtrack -- it's one of my favorite chiptune soundtracks. The main theme, Rising Sun, is pretty amazing and has the exactly right tone for such a tragedy-heavy game. FFA (or Mystic Quest, or whatever you call it) is an amazing classic that holds up fairly well, so long as you make sure to always keep plenty of keys and mattocks and look up a few of the tougher puzzles it's a must-play as far as I'm concerned!

Secret of Mana is a good game, I guess, but I've always had a lot of issues with it. First, the combat feels AWFUL. There is a long delay on every hit, and it feels terrible every time! And on top of that, they put in a charge system on attacks, so you need to wait quite a while between attacks in order to hit at full strength. I've always quite disliked this system. Additionally, this is a much more linear and straightforward game than FFA is; you will never get lost, because you never really have to think about where to go, just follow the obvious plot path and you'll be fine. I have no problem with games being linear, but it does feel like this one loses a bit for it. Additionally, and in this release you can use savestates so the problem is mostly averted, but in its original form, FFA has save anywhere. Secret, however, does not; you can only save at save points... and this matters a lot, because the game is VERY grindey at times. I can't even count the number of times I reached a boss, only to find I was way too low level, die, and have to go back to my last save, grind, and then try the guy again later. I really dislike that kind of game design. This collection's savestate functions help a lot, but it's still not that great; I've long considered Secret of Mana good but over-rated and not really my thing. Oh, the graphics and music are good, but I find FFA's music much more memorable, though nostalgia for it may be part of that. The story is less interesting as well, for me anyway.

Trials of Mana, the third game, is a fantastic game that I highly recommend in its original form. Fixing almost all of the problems of Secret of Mana's combat system, Trials gets rid of the horrible attack delay. Sure, it still has a mostly linear world (within each of the six characters' stories) and has the charge meter system, but retuning things to get rid of that awful delay works wonders, and Trials feels good to play. I like the six characters to choose from too, it gives you more options than the previous two. It's a great game and one of the better action-RPGs that gen. You could wait for the remake, but none of the FFA remakes (Sword of Mana, the Vita/phone remake of the original, etc.) are as good as the original in my opinion, and the Secret of Mana's remake is pretty flawed too. The Trials remake is looking better, but I still am not going to assume it'll be better than the original.

So yeah, play FFA and Trials, maybe skip most of Secret. Try a bit of it and see if you can tolerate the combat...

Last edited:

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the branching paths and class system of Trials makes me wonder if I should do some research before jumping in.

Maybe a little bit but you change classes at level 18, and the final one at 38 so you can always look into it later. Each character having 4 final classes. Some might be better than others but I forgot which. There's guides to help you suit your needs.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm about an hour into Mystic Quest...

It's pretty addictive. Really enjoying it so far. Just got the Mirror and got the Fire Spell.

Even though nothing is really explained to you in-game I'm not having trouble navigating really.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Secret is probably the best starting point for someone new to the series. Also, if you have anyone around for multiplayer, give that a go, it's an awesome experience to play these games with a friend

I second that, when I was younger, and old childhood friend had an SNES and we played through SoM together. At the time it was announced, was really looking forward to SD3, but sadly it never came out in the West.

Secret, however, does not; you can only save at save points... and this matters a lot, because the game is VERY grindey at times. I can't even count the number of times I reached a boss, only to find I was way too low level, die, and have to go back to my last save, grind, and then try the guy again later

Mana Collection has Save State features, so that's almost a non-issue in regards to the few inns/save points.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So...like the Fire Spell in Mystic Quest seems amazing.

Should I just dump all my bonus stats into wisdom?

Also fuck you Julius. 😭

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about an hour into Mystic Quest...

It's pretty addictive. Really enjoying it so far. Just got the Mirror and got the Fire Spell.

Even though nothing is really explained to you in-game I'm not having trouble navigating really.
I sat down with the game the other week and played about three hours. It really is obtuse and archaic, but it's easy enough to manage and figure what's what. Game is pretty fun! Not sure how things get later, since I only got through like the second dungeon but yeah lol.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I really liked Final Fantasy Adventure. It felt like if someone played Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past, what they'd interpolate Zelda 2 to be. In contrast, I spent years stuck on the first screen of Secret of Mana and I don't know if I'll ever get over my resentment of it.

Pro-tip: when the voice says your name and makes you take a step back, you can keep walking forward.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay I don't think as a kid I would've guessed what Palm 8 meant without a guide.

About near the end I reckon of FFA and damn...this might be up there with Pokemon and Link's Awakening as best game of the GB.

Can't believe you actually have to kill a party member at one point

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm playing Final Fantasy Adventure now for the first time and REALLY enjoying it. A lot more than I thought I would. Might be the best GB game I didn't play when I was a kid.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FFA is awesome. You move on from the sword pretty quickly and get all kinds of stuff like a chain whip, a sickle on a chain, a big axe, etc. Like one post says, keep a mattock and some keys on you whenever you can. Also quick save every 10 minutes or so.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've been going through the game without a guide pretty easily but I'm glad I read the keeping keys on you and mattocks.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also damn the Morningstar rocks...replaces mattocks and can hit various enemies immune to other weapons. Why switch away from it really?

Probably gonna finish this and start Secret of Mana tonight. Any tips for that for a first timer?

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I haven't played FFA but SoM I have some experience with. For one, your characters are going to get stuck in the environment. It just happens, you'll have to go back to where they got stuck so they can follow you again.
Second, magic levels up by using it and those levels are pretty slow going so it's important to spam out magic to level it. It especially helps on some of the bosses, you can access the menu right after casts to do another spell almost immediately after. It lets you kind of lock most bosses down and some of them are really hard to hit with physical attacks alone.
You'll probably want a map later on as well, the flight is great but it can be hard to figure out where some places are with the way it's presented.
Hope you enjoy the games.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So...Final Fantasy Adventures was great. Some of the end dungeons got a little long but it was addictive.

About three hours into SoM and... frustrated? Combat feels weird, I can't stand the ring menu, the text box is hard to find a good look for that makes it easy to read, and already I find myself consulting a guide because I wasn't sure what was the right way to go because I got the girl, and then she left when I entered a dungeon...turns out I jumped ahead but it confused me a bit.

I hear it gets a bit better but so far it's been a bit of a drag.

Jan 2, 2018
So...Final Fantasy Adventures was great. Some of the end dungeons got a little long but it was addictive.

I'm playing through it right now, it's such a gem! First I wasn't sure if it's not perhaps a little bit too archaic nowadays, but it's one of the best Game Boy games not called Zelda or Pokémon for sure!

I'm excited for SoM after it and hope I'll have a better start with the game than you. :D

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by people calling FFA's combat janky when Secret of Mana exists.

I loved FFA as a kid; it was probably the first game I played that had a story more than "bad guy, kill it!!!" and it's something that I can always come back to.

I didn't own SoM when it came out. I've tried to play it several times but I always duck out fairly early when I get sick of the long combat delays and the boss fights that seem to just be tanking a series of undodgable attacks and healing through them.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
I didn't own SoM when it came out. I've tried to play it several times but I always duck out fairly early when I get sick of the long combat delays and the boss fights that seem to just be tanking a series of undodgable attacks and healing through them.

You have to realise it's a hybrid system. It's an action game that seamlessly slips towards a more strategic, more turn-based Final Fantasy-style action gauge territory when fighting harder enemies. I really appreaciated it myself when playing, how it was both at once.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got all three characters in SoM and just got magic and I'm starting to get into the groove.

I like grinding up weapon levels...but magic is annoying especially since both the girl and Sprite share a button prompt to get their ring up. Why can't they make use of the otherwise pointless L trigger for one?

Not really into the plot yet. Fought a witch who was trading human souls for herbs and fought, um, Sobble?!

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Secret of Mana is going good I guess...grindy but kind of addictive. The music helps.

I hate games with the "use magic to level it up!" because rather than do it naturally I just want to grind it. Did so a bit already but reading up I guess I'll only focus on the good spells like Water healing and Earth attacking.

Apparently I'm around the filler section of the game where you just fuck around while the bad guys mess things up.

Also I don't know I'm missing it maybe but...there's no manual whatsoever for these games included with the collection which seems odd since these games have like barely any in game tutorials or even item descriptions.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am playing FFA and it's really good. Like, really good. Even the story beats are well done and this is a 1991 Gameboy game.

Does it not have a devotee group? It's so well-designed. Man.