• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So to clarify

OP is uncomfortable with a sexualized woman

But is totally cool with sexualized men, including a sexy ripped Gladio

And he doesn't care about his girlfriend's feelings on the matter

OP I think I might have figured it your problem. Don't worry, you can tell us. We'll support you.

Okay you're probably being sarcastic/an asshole but the camera doesn't give you a full body view of Gladio, it doesn't oogle his chest/ass/crotch while he's washing your car. So not even remotely comparable, nice try though.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie OP, that's a pretty dumb reason to be ashamed of yourself for. It's not like she's on the screen 24/7 or something.

He didn't say he was ashamed of himself, he is saying that he finds the outfit embarrassing. I would have felt the same way about it if I had been playing it around my (hypothetical) girlfriend. The design is stupid. Asking for a way to circumvent that stupidity is not unreasonable.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Have you actually talked to her about it? You seem so concerned over what she might think but (based on op) you don't seem to have actually bothered to ask what she does think.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda amused people focus on Pyra long before they do Bayonetta.

To be fair, Pyra and Bayonetta's cases are pretty different, one being a sort of expansion of a slave/tool to owner relationship that grows over time while one is SUPPOSED TO BE (it fumbles this a lot) about female empowerment and liberation through the ownership of sex.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If the basis of your embarassment is yoh dont like the design why are you hiding behind your girlfriend's imaginary objection? Why don't you just say you don't like it because it's dumb?

And yes it matters because thr frame work you are providing with that opening is a woman in your life would be embarassed. But she doesn't care so why even mention it?

Just turn it off if you can't handle it.

And yes the design is dumb and it's valid to not play games with designs you dont like. It's valid to criticize it. But be forthcoming with where the problem lies. Its not "women" in this case, it's you.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Be real with her and say her design is dumb. You can probably have more of a bonding experience just laughing at it.

This. Me and my wife do this, and we basically laugh at people who actually get off on characters like her or Pyra. Don't be embarrassed for yourself but for the people who are actually titillated by pandering in games.

Also I can't remember seeing Cidney more than like 2-3 times in the first few hours of the game, so just push through. Yep, it's bad, unfortunately stuff like this is a constant in many Japanese games.

Nov 1, 2017
To be fair, Pyra and Bayonetta's cases are pretty different, one being a sort of expansion of a slave/tool to owner relationship that grows over time while one is SUPPOSED TO BE (it fumbles this a lot) about female empowerment and liberation through the ownership of sex.
I think the real problem is that while Bayonetta triumphs with her style and self-aware silliness, Pyra is simply not that interesting at all.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda amused people focus on Pyra long before they do Bayonetta.
Bayonetta is up front with how it presents her. Xenoblade 2 is not, and someone could be enjoying it well enough and suddenly the camera gets lost in some tits.

It's a bit insulting that the game thinks it needs to repeatingly grab your attention through a boobs instead of having more engaging writing or action.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Ok even as someone who likes Cidney she really is on a different level of sexualization then Gladio.

Now if they add a scene of him working out shirtless as the camera zooms in on his pecs maybe they'd be close.

Okay you're probably being sarcastic/an asshole but the camera doesn't give you a full body view of Gladio, it doesn't oogle his chest/ass/crotch while he's washing your car. So not even remotely comparable, nice try though.
Just completely missing the point, both of you.

Metalik

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Moscow, Russia
Oh, no, women have breasts and some of them are fit and want to show that! It never happens IRL /s

Come on, dude, you are playing a game which has fantasy in it's name, of course stuff there would be exaggerated or too "perfect". Like, why would anyone not go to the limit when they can? Do you also whine about only attractive people in movies?
Or do you close your eyes when you see some girl's navel?

TL;DR: When you go in a fantasy world there is no point to show anything but the most perfect image of everything.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tell your GF, that Cindy can only breathe through her boobs.

Then tell her to be ashamed of her words and deeds.

Oct 25, 2017
An important thing to remember is that aversion to Cindy's mechanic outfit is not equal to aversion to the amount of skin exposed.

I imagine that many people turned off by the design would have no problem with outfits featuring even more skin, given the appropriate setting.

It's all about context and intent.

The way Cindy is portrayed could be viewed embarrassing to both women and men as it betrays a childish view on sexuality.

Again there is NOTHING wrong with sexuality or sexy outfits. But juvenile & outrageous depictions (wrong place, wrong time) is an easy turn-off to many (who otherwise have zero issue with sexy-time).

I mean, unless I am missing something major I don't remember anything gratuitous or embarrassing when it comes to Cindy's portrayal throughout the game or "wrong place wrong time".

Cindy is an outlier of a character design and a minor character at most. I feel many people have already pointed out that other female characters in the game do not dress like her. I don't remember scenes or moments that solely focus on Cindy's body.

Only thing that comes to mind is

- The camera angle when she tows the Regalia (which isn't that gratitous to me)
- The side quest with Prompto where he is trying to ask Cindy out which some people considered creepy since I think it required Noct to take pictures of her

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"How to draw manga" tier character design, but I'll let you cook

I honestly really like it. Even if she does look like a humanization of the Ragnarok.
latest

Jan 11, 2018
Considering she works in a desert i'm surprised she isn't showing more skin tbh. I see girls in my area showing off more in winter.

She's a mechanic though. She's at least supposed to cover most of her skin when she's actually working and not taking a break. Safety reasons. It's also a dirty job. It'd make more sense if she was properly dressed as she was introduced, then unzipping a bit saying "goshdarnit it's hot out here... y'all don't mind do you?" or something.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
She's in it for like 5 minutes.

Nah, if you're doing the string of upgrade quests for the car, you're seeing a lot of her, especially if you're mixing it up with other stuff in those zones. That's easily several sessions in a row.

It's as much about how the camera treats her as anything else, but her getup doesn't help, and the script for her casts her as pretty vapid. She's mindlessly centered on the main characters, and not even in a star-struck way that might make more sense with their connection to the royal family. The little crush Prompto has toward her is actually on the cute side, though.

If OP's partner isn't bothered, then it shouldn't be a problem unless he still doesn't like it himself. If a game really does seem slimy enough, I wouldn't play it whether someone said something specifically or not (I obviously played FFXV, but I see where OP is coming from).

Last edited:

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None of the Blades are slaves/tools...

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
OP instead of pretending you're embarrassed that your gf would see and care about Cindy's design you could just say what you mean and made a thread discussing how you don't like her outfit. You basically admit that she has no issues and that you do. Her design actually is pretty tame compared to some questionable ones out there and even in this very thread.

He said he's embarrassed and she isn't.. Don't see what's hard to understand about that... And the "it's not as bad as.... therefore it's ok" excuse is some false equivalence BS.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
OP, if your GF doesnt have an issue, why do you make the thread about that? This could have been a good conversation about forced or ill placed sexuality in games, but it became about how you want to shove your sensibilities in your GF's mouth and act like its her that is offended when it clearly isnt.

With that in mind, i would not be particularly annoyed by the outfit itself if Cindy were not

A. mechanic, and

B. a clear design the devs didnt know what to do with outside of being oogle material for DLC and fanartists, much like 99% of Xenoblade 2's designs.

It doesn't help that the actual team's answers about the subject are just disgusting.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I got to say that considering all the usual Japanese RPGs, Final Fantasy XV is Far, far down the "concern" line. Yes, Cindy's outfit isn't the best and the whole car wash thing is dumb but hell, you see worse on TV (or aptly mentioned cheerleaders at NBA/NFL/etc), not to mention your usual JRPG.

If OP has such an issue with Cindy from FFXV then I hope OP doesn't watch any R rated (or equivalent in OPs country) movies with his girlfriend.

I do feel some amusement at folks trying to defend trashy Xenoblade 2 designs. Whether or not the game is good is beside the point, but most of the blade designs are terrible.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.
My wife was quite surprised, but I myself was literally appalled at the "car wash" sequence.
Thank god she didn't see that, or she would have thought I was playing a softcore title, let alone what it says of the devs' view on Women in general or "dumb Southern American blondes in physical jobs" in particular.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Being ashamed on behalf of someone without even consulting them on their actual opinion is a pretty useless feeling IMO, to say nothing of the weird way he is using his GF as a shield for his opinions without her knowledge.

Even if it involves them, it isn't necessarily solely about them. My Mormon friends have told me that they don't care if I swear around them; that they are used to it. Despite that, I try to be respectful around them and not swear. I am not protecting them from swear words, they are adults, I am just being respectful (and swearing in front of them would make ME feel uncomfortable). From what the OP wrote, I don't feel like he is undermining his girlfriend's autonomy, he just doesn't like the way that design makes him feel when she is around.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blades are slaves now? If anything Pyra didnt have to do anything if she didnt want to

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it involves them, it isn't necessarily solely about them. My Mormon friends have told me that they don't care if I swear around them; that they are used to it. Despite that, I try to be respectful around them and not swear. I am not protecting them from swear words, they are adults, I am just being respectful (and swearing in front of them would make ME feel uncomfortable). From what the OP wrote, I don't feel like he is undermining his girlfriend's autonomy, he just doesn't like the way that design makes him feel when she is around.

Very well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.