• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not that much of a difference between our culture and the US's, plus the over abundance of these threads will most likely have this one on the chopping block, but might as well contribute something of worth to this forum.

Bear in mind though, that there's many diverse sections to Canada. Quebec is unlike the Yukon which is unlike British Columbia, which is unlike Toronto. So I would require additional canucks to help me out where my knowledge is lacking. (Albertan here, so yeah)

Ask away up until the mods get sick of this thread archetype and close them all down.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Climate-wise, is Toronto or British Columbia more agreeable?

I'm immigrating to Canada this September (university), and I'm going to have to decide between University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and perhaps McGill. I'd love to hear any tips on Canadian university life and just tips about Canadian culture in general. I'm Turkish, FWIW.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You gotta live in a certain part of southern Ontario... I know I saw them in places like Kitchener/Waterloo

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm immigrating to Canada this September (university), and I'm going to have to decide between University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and perhaps McGill.

Toronto is a city. BC is an entire province that's bigger than a lot of countries, so that's kind of an impossible question. BC has places like the Okanagan which has some of the nicest weather in Canada, Vancouver (where most of UBC is) isn't as snowy as Toronto, but the interior areas of BC can have harsh winters.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'm immigrating to Canada this September (university), and I'm going to have to decide between University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and perhaps McGill. I'd love to hear any tips on Canadian university life and just tips about Canadian culture in general. I'm Turkish, FWIW.
BC is warmer, they don't really get snow, but they do get tons of rain outside the summer.

Toronto can get cold in the winter (was brutal this december) but they spring summers and falls are very nice.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's true... South Park got it right... Canadians jaws float separately from the rest of their heads

OP
OP
Zan

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
why are you guys so nice

Could be because we banned Oscar the Grouch.

I'm not fucking kidding. When we made our own Sesame Street version, the segments with him were removed because
Peter Moss said:
"My own kids grew up on the original Sesame Street but we decided it was time to put the pro-social messages of the show and its wonderful pedagogy - the skills of literacy and numeracy - into a Canadian context. There isn't a Canadian city where you can go more than about six blocks without finding a safe, green park. So it became Sesame Park."

So as such, no Garbage cans, no Grouch.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Is this how canadians are born?
Tva3lqU.gif

I'm just joking around btw

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Is it true that all Canadians play Curling?
I think you're joking, but it's legit in the school curriculum in rural Saskatchewan. Everyone I know knows how to curl. It's as standard as track & field.

Dunno about other places in Canada, but hockey and curling are both huge in rural areas on the prairies. There's fuck else to do for most of the year, but every small town has an indoor rink. If you grew up in a small town here, chances are you know a world-class curler or two.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I think you're joking, but it's legit in the school curriculum in rural Saskatchewan. Everyone I know knows how to curl. Dunno about other places in Canada, but hockey and curling are both huge in rural areas on the prairies. There's fuck else to do for most of the year, but every small town has an indoor rink. If you grew up in a small town here, chances are you know a world-class curler or two.
I was joking, but this is actually interesting to know. I had no idea that was the case.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
What do you think of Jennifer Keesmaat?

OP
OP
Zan

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's Canada's relationship with its indigenous peoples like?

oh lord don't get me fucking started. Long and short is that it's horrible in both the past and present, and it's one of the greatest regrets I have while living in this country.

People say you're nice people, but why do you provoke the world with Nickelback, Avril Lavigne and Justin Bieber?

They're monoliths that syphon all of Canada's bad behavior.

(also avril was my first band crush, so I'm a little biased towards her)

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017

UBC, I'm assuming you're talking about Vancouver... I've never been but having family there, I'd say its better temperature wise in the winter, think Seattle weather.

As a Torontonian, expect humidity for the most part, the winter this year hasn't been great, the spring/summers are fine.

You've never really had milk until you've drank some from a milk bag.

I feel people's imagination about bagged milk gets carried away, its just another vehicle to dispense milk.

Though living in Alberta for a few years made me appreciate jugs(even though you can get them at 7-11 here in Toronto).

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am Canadian and I disagree with the claim about our culture not being all that much different.

Our tolerance, propensity for lack of violence, and general progressive nature makes us different.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Living in Vancouver really bucks the stereotype of "cold Canada" because I regularly talk to people in New York, London, Tokyo, Seoul who are under freezing snow conditions, and meanwhile at the same time I'm in a light jacket with green grass in Vancouver.

It can still snow here once or twice a year, but I'd definitely call it "agreeable" if you're looking into Canada. It's the warmest place in the country and outpaces a lot of other north hemisphere cities in countries you'd think would be warmer.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

McGill is legit and Montreal is a better city than Toronto. :) Climate-wise they're much the same. BC has milder weather (warmer winters and cooler summers), but a lot more rain.

As a fellow Canadian, are you also laughing at the conservative party in Ontario
Who isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.