• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
According to Microsoft, if a game displays the "XBOX ONE X ENHANCED" moniker on the game, that means that the developer has committed to enhancing the game with features only possible on the Xbox One X:

Unless they're lying, this means that Rockstar has pledged to enhance Red Dead Redemption II to it's fullest potential for the Xbox One X:
Umm...as it says it could just mean better resolution.

Hollywood Pescado

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 28, 2018
At the end of the day, it'll be your decision.

You already have a console that can play Red Dead Redemption II. I know the feeling of wanting to play the best version of a game, but the differences between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X shouldn't be too big. At least not worth the $250+ difference.

You also have to think about what is gonna happen to the Xbox One X if you end up buying it. Are you going to buy games for it? If not, then why buy it just for one guy if you aren't even remotely interested in other games, especially exclusives?

One another thing to keep in mind that while the Xbox One X will most likely have the best version for consoles, a PC version of Red Dead Redemption II may come out in a year or so. No one really knows when. It's speculated that it will come out at some point though. From what I've read on forums, Red Dead Redemption 1 never came to PC because the code was apparently a mess and it would be difficult to port it. I don't know if that's true though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I personally wouldn't get a pro and an x, but I did recently go from the base xb1 and the leap is huge. The original red dead looks ridiculous.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I say do it. Since the X came out the differences have been more than minor on multi platform releases. Since you are a big RDR fan this is likely to be the best way to play it, not to mention the backwards comparability of RDR1.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I already have a PS4 Pro - the question is should I get an Xbox One X, which I'm heavily leaning towards doing :)
OP as I said before, you are an adult. The decision is all on you. You don't need opinions from over a 100 people on a forum like this telling you what to do or how to sort your preferences and expenses..there will always be some form of bias. Dude you got to decide for yourself.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Are there ANY AAA multiplatorms games that look amazingly better on the 1X than a Pro? Aside of maybe one or two games (Forza and Quantum Break), I feel like the most graphically impressive stuff this gen is either on PC or PS4pro, but that's me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Buy one for better versions of current gen games, BC games, less noisy fan, Gamepass and this year's GOTY Forza Horizon 4 at 60fps. Don't buy one for just RDR2.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Are there ANY AAA multiplatorms games that look amazingly better on the 1X than a Pro? Aside of maybe one or two games (Forza and Quantum Break), I feel like the most graphically impressive stuff this gen is either on PC or PS4pro, but that's me.

There have been several I've watched analysis on that were a pretty significant jump over pro on X. I think the latest I remember was Assassin Creed, PS4 Pro's highest dynamic resolution was X's lowest resolution along with better shadows. Theres been several along this trend. Not sure if anything is amazingly better looking within this gen though, that's a tall ass order.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I was referring to the "this year's GOTY Forza Horizon 4" part lol
Yeah and I'll be talking about FH4 that way until the award show is over ;)

I know GoW or RDR2 will get the actual award but for me there is no doubt what's my best game of the year, it really is that good, if you like racers of course. And as a parent it's not only a game I can play while the kids are still up, it's a game they're coming screaming at me wanting me to play, it's 100% pure fun. :)

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a PS4 Pro - the question is should I get an Xbox One X, which I'm heavily leaning towards doing :)

You're way to caught up in the hype.

Listen, I get it - I have an Xbox One S and a PS4, but I'm buying the PS4 Pro bundle because I want it to look great. But you already have a PS4 Pro....what you're doing is like going from a 1070 graphics card to a 1080. It's simply a bad value proposition.

Wait a week after RDR2 comes out and see if you still want the X. Just wait a little, is my advice.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is SO not true. I mean, obviously it depends on your disposable income but when I think of the thousands of hours I got out of something like Goldeneye or SF2 or Halo I would of happily bought a console for each.

Heck I basically did for Steel Batallion.
I don't agree no console is worth it for just one game. Now it might be an incentive to get a console sooner because other games are coming but op isn't a good example since he's not interested in exclusives and only wants it for one game that he will already be able to play. So it's not really worth it for him.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is SO not true. I mean, obviously it depends on your disposable income but when I think of the thousands of hours I got out of something like Goldeneye or SF2 or Halo I would of happily bought a console for each.

They already have a console that can play said one game, though.

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, it's your money, but if you have a Pro there's really no reason to spend more cash on an X, unless you have that much spending money

you're not going to notice that slightly extra draw distance outside of the Digital Foundry video

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I don't agree no console is worth it for just one game. Now it might be an incentive to get a console sooner because other games are coming but op isn't a good example since he's not interested in exclusives and only wants it for one game that he will already be able to play. So it's not really worth it for him.

I was responding to the quoted, not the OP. I agree the difference, if any, between the Pro and One X versions will probably be negligible.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I am always amazed what threads I figure would die /keep going, I will admit I didn't think I would see this thread days later.

Anyways OP, while you are a huge fan I would vote no. You mentioned it was through a deal (so time sensitive). I would imagine the X is better but we don't know for sure or by how much until the game is out.

One of the things that can stink for some X games is the developer uses the Pro as the max settings for consoles and the X received the same.

Also we will most likely see a new console within 2 years. There is a higher chance than not Rockstar will bring the game out there and that edition should beat the X and be the new console "definitive edition"

TL;DR odds are the X version won't be a big enough leap over Pro to warrant invest for one game.

There are some good games on Xbox and of you are done with PS exclusive you could survive off game pass alone

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I know GoW or RDR2 will get the actual award but for me there is no doubt what's my best game of the year, it really is that good, if you like racers of course. And as a parent it's not only a game I can play while the kids are still up, it's a game they're coming screaming at me wanting me to play, it's 100% pure fun. :)
GleefulRectangularHellbender-small.gif

nod.gif

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the X and its a nicely engineered upgrade. Now Im looking at Sony's A9F for Red Dead 2, lol. Spending never stops but that combo will look bananas.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its a waste of money. Id argue if there was gonna be a monumental change, like 60fps or beyond Ultra settings. This is consoles were talking about here so its only marginal improvements. You have a PS4 Pro, if Red Dead is the ONLY thing going for the XB1X, id say that is one stupid way to burn $250. If you get it, some gamepass with Horizon 4 is pretty great.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Its a waste of money. Id argue if there was gonna be a monumental change, like 60fps or beyond Ultra settings. This is consoles were talking about here so its only marginal improvements. You have a PS4 Pro, if Red Dead is the ONLY thing going for the XB1X, id say that is one stupid way to burn $250. If you get it, some gamepass with Horizon 4 is pretty great.
It's just with the "Xbox One X Enhanced" knowledge and the fact that Sony has the exclusive marketing rights, I feel like Rockstar would give Microsoft the edge with them having to wait on everything.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just with the "Xbox One X Enhanced" knowledge and the fact that Sony has the exclusive marketing rights, I feel like Rockstar would give Microsoft the edge with them having to wait on everything.
Remember when you were so sure that there was no way the XBX version could be better than the Pro version?

It isn't about giving the edge to the XBX version because they had to wait (what the fuck does that even mean?), it will be slightly better because the hardware is a year newer and beefier.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
As others have said, if you really are concerned about graphical fidelity and performance, just wait for the PC version and purchase the PS4 version in the meantime if your really can't wait to play it. I'm holding out for the PC version, just like I did with GTAV,

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
OP, IMHO, if you only had the base consoles the upgrade would be a no brainer.... but you have a PRo .... The difference for the X don't justify the cost. Now if there are more games in Microsoft system that you are interested....

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say go for it, even if it is originally just for one game.

Saying that, I'm also the person that bought a £300 Hotas just to play Elite Dangerous, which then cascaded into buying a Rift. This ultimately expanded me into other flight sims, and VR experiences which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Likewise, If you get an X you could branch off into other games using Gamepass.

You've got a great 65" TV, and should do it justice by pairing it with the best hardware. If the reports are to be believed RDR2 on the X will be pushing out twice the amount of pixels: 8.2m compared to 4.1m, and going by previous AAA games, this certainly follows a pattern.

It all depends whether you can trick your cognitive dissonance into saying that's a "slight upgrade" if you don't go for it.

Only you know how much that decision will weigh on your shoulders