• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're actually seriously considering going into (more) debt for a console over one game when you already have a pretty capable one in the first place, chances are you'll end up buying it anyway.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Lol I'm still debating it. The sale runs until October 28th, so I have time to deliberate :)

For me, ive personally invested a lot more time on the xbox platform, so for me little things like "getting achievements" over trophies will come into play when buying a game. It performing better on xbox also doesnt hurt.

Unless thats something you dont care about and if you already have a pro, there really inst a point in getting an X. Unless like i said, youre more of an xbox guy to begin with.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
My x is collecting dust, but that's just cause I've been playing Spider-Man on vanilla ps4 so much. I have the complete Witcher 3 to start and plan on getting rdr2 for the x. I bought it cause I wanted to play ori and the blind forest and sunset overdrive. I think I have 4 or 5 games for it. No regrets though, games look amazing on my 4K tv

Edit: my ps3 is beginning to crap out too, so I've been getting some of those games for the X since I don't see me buying another ps3. Red looks great and MGS just hit bc. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I would go with the pro, but it's your money. I'm sure the game will be godly optimized on all platforms.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Additional graphics.
tumblr_mt6g3g3M6D1qlvdrzo1_500.gif

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way the difference between the Pro and X version is going to be worth the couple hundred dollar upgrade. I would at least look at other recent open world games like AC Odyssey to see what the difference is there.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
COD bo4 obliterating my hard drive is probably the tipping point for me. I already have a 4k tv that i use with my PS4 pro.

but i just stopped buying multiplats on ps4 awhile ago since everything looks/runs/plays better on xbox now. I just been waiting to pounce on an xb1x. Gamestops gonna give me $200 for my old ass xbox one? And i can finally fit more than 5 games on my harddrive at a time??
sign me tf up.

Oct 31, 2017
Conversely I had the chance to buy a PS4 Pro for a good price one week ago but I still plan to wait for a PC release, because there's no way I will ever buy the console version of anything that will have the slightest chance to have a multiplatform release.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Are you already only eating ramen to save up for it?
Basically lol

Given the date that the sale ends, it's almost like they're doing this on purpose for Red Dead Redemption fans that have a Playstation 4.

If I can save up close to the amount of the $282 then I won't mind spending like $60 to make it the full amount. I shouldn't go broke at that point.

That's my reasoning today anyway haha!

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I splurged on a Pro and my OLED and it was worth

Also of course anyone with both side by side will notice the difference. But if you set up one single tv and display an image I have a hard time believing consumers will be able to tell the difference.

Also only enthusiast forums cared about the resolution at the beginning of this gen. It wasn't played out by resolution. It was played out by microsofts price of the console, DRM and anticonsunerism. If you think resolution was a huge deal it was nothing compared to paying $100 more for a weaker anti consumer product. People still didnt know they backtracked on their plan until basically the slim launched

Its like other folks still do this day think the WiiU is an add-on to the Wii
OP is asking which console will provide the best experience. Realistically the X has the hardware to provide better performance and visuals.

The X and Pro versions are aimed towards enthusiasts. This is an enthusiast forum lol.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You own a pro and are considering buying an expensive console for one game... don't do it really not worth it for the difference.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't even manage how many Xbox one X's this game has sold. there are now 5 people at my work that have bought one for this game. To be fair the deals in the UK at curry's are insane so I don't blame them.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can absolutely understand OP.

I bought a 360 to play Red Dead. I returned the PS3 Version after seing it being so much better on the 360 of a friend.

But this time around we won't see that big of a difference imo. The PS4 and Xbox One Versions will be 99% identical. Only the resolution is going to be like 80% native 4K on Xbox One X and "Just" 70% native 4K on PS4 Pro. 2-3 slowdowns over 100 hours wil be slightly (1-2 fps) worse on the Pro.

That's not enough imo to buy a X. Especially if we're going to get a new Gen in 2020.

Not worth it OP.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP is gonna pay off a console for 24 months? Am I getting this right? Did he mention if it's interest free ?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I bought a 360 to play Red Dead. I returned the PS3 Version after seing it being so much better on the 360 of a friend.

But this time around we won't see that big of a difference imo. The PS4 and Xbox One Versions will be 99% identical. Only the resolution is going to be like 80% native 4K on Xbox One X and "Just" 70% native 4K on PS4 Pro. 2-3 slowdowns over 100 hours wil be slightly (1-2 fps) worse on the Pro.

That's not enough imo to buy a X. Especially if we're going to get a new Gen in 2020.

Not worth it OP.

It's going to be more than a 10 percent resolution difference, i'd be willing to bet on that.

It's all down to personal preference. I simply have to play it on the most powerful console possible, and that I know should give me the best experience coupled with my 65" tv. I am someone willing to do that. it's all relative.

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I thought you have extra cash lying around for these types of purchases. So, don't.

OP is gonna pay off a console for 24 months? Am I getting this right? Did he mention if it's interest free ?

Interest free or not. It's still debt for 24/mos. He still got an able console that could play it tho.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, I thought you have extra cash lying around for these types of purchases. So, don't.

Interest free or not. It's still debt for 24/mos. He still got an able console that could play it tho.

I mean yea, I wouldn't ever buy something like a console if I couldn't afford it ... but if he's paying interest on it for 24 months that's even crazier.

Feb 10, 2018

Not worth it OP.

When has the X only had a 10% res increase over the pro?

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 and Xbox One Versions will be 99% identical. Only the resolution is going to be like 80% native 4K on Xbox One X and "Just" 70% native 4K on PS4 Pro.

When did the Pro get a bump in resolution?

All we know so far from the footage, that we are told is from the PS4 Pro, is that it is 50% of 4k resolution.

We know nothing on the X version, apart from an unconfirmed tweet from Xbox France that it's native 4k

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus christ dude, If you have a pro and would need to save money to get an X. The answer is DON'T. Do not. N O.

Next gen is like 2 years away tops, and it might finally be worth buying an xbox again. Save the money towards that and get both next gen consoles.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, the file size for RDRII on Xbox is 88.56 GB.

Why is it 105 GB on PlayStation?

It's not, my PS4 preload was like 92 point-something gigs. I think you need 105 for the initial install because the PS4 prevents you from not having a minimum amount of free space on the system drive. I think it has to do with how delta patching is handled, it needs room to work in. So if you were to buy the disc version and download the patch, you would need 105 gigs of free space when you start to not get error messages about lack of space and install/download interruptions, but once you're all done the final install size is 92 gigs (as for why the 3-4 gigs in difference, probably some nuance with file structure or some such where, say, the PS4-compatible 3D model files are slightly bigger than the XB1 equivalents or some such).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's not, my PS4 preload was like 92 point-something gigs. I think you need 105 for the initial install because the PS4 prevents you from not having a minimum amount of free space on the system drive. I think it has to do with how delta patching is handled, it needs room to work in. So if you were to buy the disc version and download the patch, you would need 105 gigs of free space when you start to not get error messages about lack of space and install/download interruptions, but once you're all done the final install size is 92 gigs (as for why the 3-4 gigs in difference, probably some nuance with file structure or some such where, say, the PS4-compatible 3D model files are slightly bigger than the XB1 equivalents or some such).

Official word is that the PS4 version is 99 GBs ("with an additional 50GB for the installation process" for digital copies) and the Xbox One version is 107 GBs
(link gotten from a Dualshockers article via SIFTD)

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Just pull the trigger on the PS4 version since you have a Pro. When I bought my X last November I was looking forward to playing RDR2 on it but ultimately my friends who will be playing the online portion are all on PS4 so I went where they are. (I have a Pro). I am probably not going to pay much attention to the comparison vids that inevitably will come out discussing the difference between the two versions, and i'm sure its not going to be that drastic. Rockstar has probably optimized the shit out of the game for both of the higher-end consoles. It just isn't worth it unless you have a lot of expendable income.