• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just wanted about $30 worth of ingredients trying to make traditional shish kebab. Traditional shish kebabs take a lot more effort and a lot more time to make than the things you would usually find at a BBQ.
large_Tandoor_Keebabs.jpg

I fucked up the whole process and just ended up throwing everything away. All it got me was a ton of dirty dishes to clean.

I've started to find cooking meals for myself to be the most stressful thing ever. After coming home from work I just want to relax, not slave myself over making a little bit of food.

I know people are gonna reply to this with the tried and true "you have to fail before you can succeed." And you're right, but right now I literally cannot afford to fail since failing means I've wasted both money and food.

TLDR; Cooking sucks ass

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm with you I just prefer really stupid easy to make stuff or just buying prepared food. The hassle of cooking isn't worth it and if you're bad at it you're also just wasting your money.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
my mom does that but she's 70 and retired. eating processed foods is not the best for you - you need fresh produce, fresh meat, fresh ingredients.

if you can't cook, at least eat out or try blue apron or some other similar food service like that.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe start with simpler things. You don't need to put in a ton of effort to make something tasty

Jazzman

Oct 25, 2017
Why not make it even easier and just buy a bag of salt and pour it into your mouth and be down with it. Frozen dinners are some of the worst things for you.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly did you mess up that bad that everything became inedible?

I agree that cooking is a lot of work, but on the other hand I often enjoy putting the work into a meal I know is going to be delicious. I have a hard time following cooking instructions as well, but you just have to correctly separate it all out into steps in your mind.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey

uh

doctor here. Please don't do that to your body.

Try a slow cooker or instant pot

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Dude you can make regular barbecue chicken kebabs for like $6 and have left overs for the next day. Try basic before you go advanced.

Take out is easy, but cooking isn't hard after some time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly did you mess up that bad that everything became inedible?

I agree that cooking is a lot of work, but on the other hand I often enjoy putting the work into a meal I know is going to be delicious. I have a hard time following cooking instructions as well, but you just have to correctly separate it all out into steps in your mind.
I was using a food processor that didnt cut through any of the peppers or onions or mix it with the lamb and the lamb became so pureed it just turned into liquid

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Learning how to cook is a genuinely liberating thing, but you should work out four or five cheap, nutritious and easy to cook meals for Monday to Friday and leave the complicated stuff to the weekends when you have the time.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Cooking does suck, straight up. If things were actually as easy as those gif recipes make it look we'd all feast like kings. Prep sucks, cleanup sucks, and if you screw something up you've wasted money and time. I rarely cook anything that requires more prep than just throwing meat on a grill or in the oven.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I recommend shedding all ambition with cooking and giving yourself time to experiment. Get to know the ingredients you use, trying them out in different ways and seeing how they react. Get really really basic with it, approach it like a five year old. Or like a science project. Collect data on how everything works, then slowly look for patterns and synergies. If you can achieve that then *guy fieri voice* you're really cookin' 😎 I spent the first decade of my adult life trying to cook from recipes and getting frustrated over and over... Then I just started experimenting, slowly pieced some knowledge together, and it eventually started to feel like an art form.

Also, I personally find cooking meat to be a hassle (especially clean up) and I don't even bother.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Look into getting an Instant Pot as well. They can be had for great prices right now and they have become the go to for so many people who don't have time to cook in the "traditional" way (i.e. Working, or Busy Schedule Stay-At-Home, Moms and young people who have hectic work lives). Also give some of those meal prep companies like HelloFresh and Blue Apron a shot as they provide everything you need w/ step-by-step prep guides at prices that are cheaper than eating out all the time. They also have meal selections for meals that can be made in 30 minutes or less.

This is coming from a US perspective and I'm not sure where you are located.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Cooking does suck, straight up. If things were actually as easy as those gif recipes make it look we'd all feast like kings. Prep sucks, cleanup sucks, and if you screw something up you've wasted money and time. I rarely cook anything that requires more prep than just throwing meat on a grill or in the oven.

Agree. Which is why when I actually cook I only make like 4 different things.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
How do you even fuck up skewers when broilers are a thing?

Sounds like you should cut your teeth on meatballs and patties and such, figure out more of how different meats perform in various mixtures.

Kebab meat, like shawarma specifically, is a pretty odd choice to start with for a novice home cook.

Like, make some meatballs and stuff before you go all meat product crazy.

AmosThatBook

Apr 6, 2018
Stick with easier dishes at first. Cooking for yourself is way healthier and cheaper in the long run. Something like a stir fry can be super simple and cheap (and will make enough to feed you for several meals). The suggestions for a slow cooker are definitely worth listening to as well.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So, I just wanted about $30 worth of ingredients trying to make traditional shish kebab. Traditional shish kebabs take a lot more effort and a lot more time to make than the things you would usually find at a BBQ.
large_Tandoor_Keebabs.jpg

I fucked up the whole process and just ended up throwing everything away. All it got me was a ton of dirty dishes to clean.

I've started to find cooking meals for myself to be the most stressful thing ever. After coming home from work I just want to relax, not slave myself over making a little bit of food.

I know people are gonna reply to this with the tried and true "you have to fail before you can succeed." And you're right, but right now I literally cannot afford to fail since failing means I've wasted both money and food.

TLDR; Cooking sucks ass

You should probably just do blue arpon. Faux exotic receipes that don't take long to make and are hard to fuck up.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Sodium coming for your like a poltergeist.

Why not prep meals so you're not killing yourself every night after work?

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck do you spend $30 buying groceries to make one meal. I spend around $50 a week feeding myself and my two kids for an entire week.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I was using a food processor that didnt cut through any of the peppers or onions or mix it with the lamb and the lamb became so pureed it just turned into liquid

Hmm.

You could have chopped or processed your remaining ingredients, added some bread crumbs and made meatballs with that lamb. Same exact taste and prep, except you would pan fry (sauteé) your concoction instead.

You didn't fail. You simply need a bit more experience.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I love cooking. I would legitimately be upset if I didn't anymore. It takes practice but is so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.